CH9

Sons of Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We are in the room for almost 10 more minutes before Youngjae comes back. Youngjae isn't alone. He's with other guards. The guards let us know that we need to wait in the locker rooms until it's safe to come out. My heart is racing. I don't know how many rogues attacked Eden. I don't know how safe we really are. The only comfort is JB. He is sitting next to me. After the amazing moment we just had I can't believe our entire world is turned upside down by fear of an attack on Eden.

Mino is sitting next to us. He has a cool, put together exterior. If the attack did affect him he is trying not to let it show.

Everyone is quiet. Everyone seems a little scared. It isn't until a knock comes on the locker room door comes that we are all more aware. Luckily, when the door opens its none other than Jackson. He storms into the room immediately as though on a mission.

“Captain, I'm ok,” Prince JB explains, “I'm secure in here. You can go protect the city.”

Jackson eyes are intense. He walks right past JB and makes his way over to me. I'm shocked when Jackson picks me up and throws me over his shoulder like I'm a bag of potatoes. It doesn't even take him any sort of real energy to do it.

“I'm not here for you,” he lets him know.

I'm shocked that Jackson is embarrassing me like this in front of JB and Mino. As I'm over Jackson's shoulders I can see JB stop him.

“Put him down,” JB responds, “What the are you doing?”

Jackson puts me down but I can see by how keeps his hand fastened around my wrist that he doesn't intend to leave this room without me. I can tell by the look on JB and Mino's faces how this looks. This looks like Jackson is in love with me and he came here to try to save me or something. Little do they know this man is actually my father.

I'm struggling with JB looking jealous at that moment. This looks bad.

“With all due respect. I am Captain of the King's guard, not the Prince's guard,” Jackson says with an air of power in his voice, “I don't follow orders from you. I follow orders from your father.”

JB looks pissed. I can tell this is about to escalate and I need to stop it before it gets too bad.

I look at JB, “It's ok. I'm good.”

I know this isn't enough explanation for JB right now but this is the only explanation I can give him right now as to why the Jackson is acting crazy all of a sudden. I'm beyond embarrassed as Jackson doesn't waste another second to take me out of the room.

There is a madness in the street. I stay close to Jackson and all I see are men in uniform running everywhere. They are King's guard. Jackson holds me by the wrist. The street is busy with people and everyone seems to be panicking. I don't know what's going on but I'm scared as .

“Oh my god.”

We have left the school at that moment. The streets of Eden are paved with brick in an old school kind of way. As I walk through the brick lined streets I see they are washed with what looks like blood. My heart is pounding through my chest. Across the street there are a few stores. They have been closed up and boarded. I see someone who looks like a school girl...someone who is probably in one of the other classes. She is laying on the side of the road. There is a man crouched over her. At first I think he's helping her but then I realize that isn't the case. This man is her blood in the middle of the street. He's draining her to the point that the girl is shaking violently. Soon her body gives up the convulsions and the girl just gives up...completely dead.

I'm standing there shocked to the point that I don't even move. I couldn’t move even if I wanted to. I'm breathing so heavy that I think the vampire hears me. He turns around and faces me. He's dressed in a hoody and some dirty jeans. His face is covered with blood. His teeth have fangs. He stares at me. He launches at me.

He's flying---teeth first. Or at least I think he's flying. I don't have a chance to scream. I don't have a chance to even put up my hands. I don't know what's happening but somehow he's caught in midair by Jackson. Jackson body slams him from his neck into the ground. Before the vampire can even put up a fight Jackson takes a dagger out and stabs the vampire in the chest.

The vampire's body fades and disintegrates. A Final Death.

“Look at me.”

Jackson is in my face. He slaps me a few times. I'm just looking at the blood on the streets. I'm looking at the panicked guards running towards the city walls. Then I stare at the girl who has stopped moving on the side of the street. She's a student. It could have been me or someone I knew. She just stops moving and her body is corroding.

“She's dead...she's...”

I swallow my spit. Seeing someone get poisoned one time was one thing. Seeing someone murdered right in front of my face for the first time in my life was another. I was scared, confused and anxious. Was this the end? Were the rogues going to kill us all?

“Listen to me,” Jackson says, “Take this. Remember what you learned in class. Ok? Stay close. Ok? Jr. Jr! Look at me!”

I look at Jackson. He looked like someone around my age but he wasn't. It was hard to remember that he was more mature than I was even with him wearing his uniform.

“I'm listening,” I finally respond.

My mouth is dry. There is a horn blowing in the sky. Screams are in the distance. Whose screaming? Who the is screaming like that? And why?

“Follow me.”

I chase after Jackson through the streets. I'm trying to move as fast as I can but it's nothing compared to Jackson. His legs knows these streets a lot more than I do. I've spent so much time in the school that none of this is really familiar to me. We head down a back alley and jump over a few cars. Jackson goes on ahead after we leave the back alley to see if it's clear than signals me to follow after him. More guards on this next street but I don't see any other rogues. I wonder if that means that the guards have been able to hold the rogues down. A firetruck zooms past me onto the streets of the vampire city. I don't see a fire but I can smell it. There is smoke in the air. Smoke and blood.

Jackson screams out again for me to pay attention.

I follow behind him. We head up going into a building. Jackson has the key for the building. When we get in the building I see a couple of people hiding out. They look like families but the more I see them the more I realize I have no idea who the parents are and who the children are. It's strange really the vampire culture. Your parents can look younger than you. That's almost the case with Jackson and I. You would think we were brothers instead of father and son.

“What is this?” I ask him when we step into the elevator, “Where are we going?”

“You don't trust me?” he asks.

I don't answer him. This whole time this man knew he was my father and he didn't ing tell me a damn thing. Now he was asking if I trusted him. I didn't know the answer to that.

“Where are we going Captain?” I ask him.

“Somewhere safe we are going to my apartment.”

I don't know why I just assumed like an idiot that Jackson had a room at the school. He was always at the goddam school so I just assumed he stayed there. As we get up to the top floor I realize it looks like a penthouse. When the elevator opens we are right in his apartment without having to use an additional door. I'm assuming the key he used in the elevator gave him permission to access this floor.

“Closed off much?” I ask.

“Make yourself comfortable,” he responds walking in.

The place is definitely a bachelor's pad. There isn't much design. It's minimal but clean. It has a modern feel to it. There are sleek gray tones and hints of black or white but nothing too fancy. It is an open loft style apartment. As I walk in, I notice the huge windows that take up the north side of the apartment letting in the beautiful reddish Eden sky.

I walk over to the windows and look outside hoping that I can see any evidence of the attack. I don't see much but except some smoke from a building in the distance. It's at the edge of Eden right before the big wall and the forest in the distance begins. I don't see much beyond the tall trees but I'm assuming that is where the attack is coming from.

“You should get away from the walls,” a voice says.

I turn quickly because I'm shocked that the person talking to me isn't Jackson. Jackson isn't alone in his apartment. Roman is there. I look at Jackson who is still standing by the elevator.

“What the are you doing here?” I ask.

It's strange as to see Roman here of all places. He is looking over at me with a worried look and for a moment I see the old Roman that I used to know, not the one who barely pays me any ing attention. Roman takes a few steps towards me probably wanting me to get away from the windows but I use his advance to clear the windows anyway. I'm standing in the middle of the floor and I just feel awkward. I stare over to Jackson.

“He's here to protect you,” Jackson explains, “I have to go back out there. I'm the captain of the guard.”

“You don't think I would have been safer with JB?” I ask, “You get a student to protect me with all the guards that you have?”

It just doesn't make sense. Roman was ok in class. Sometimes he was good, sometimes he was bad. I didn't think he would be anyone's ing protector though. He needed help just like the rest of us.

“I don't trust any of these people with you,” Jackson explains.

For a moment I forget I see the attractive young guy that all the girls go crazy over and I actually imagine him being a concerned father. Thinking of Jackson as my father though is still ing with my head.

“So Roman? I don't get it...” I argue.

“I don't have time to explain. Roman don't let anyone in,” Jackson orders him.

Roman nods at Jackson. He does it in a way that just seems strange. I'm so confused on why Roman is taking orders from my father like this. Why isn't he in the school with the other students? Is this where he went to hide when he was disappearing all the time.

I don’t want to sit there and worry about Roman but then I realize Jackson has called the elevator. He walks in the elevator and for a moment I'm worried. I don't know why. I'm just chasing after the elevator at that moment with a fear in my eyes.

“Wait...you aren't going back out there,” I tell Jackson.

Jackson shakes his head, “I have to. You'll be safe here.”

I shake my head, “ no I won't be safe. I'm your son. You have to stay with me. There's so much I have to ask you. There's so much that...”

I'm desperate. I sound desperate as . I don't know why all of a sudden Jackson finds this amusing. He smiles at me with one of those random smiles you rarely see from him.

“I'll be back,” Jackson tells me before adding, “We can talk...”

I stare at the elevator until it closes. I know I sound stupid worrying about a man that had abandoned me a long time ago. Truth is even though I said I didn't want any of the answers about why he did what he did I really do. What if he doesn't come back? Even after Jackson leaves again I'm just staring at the door upset and worried.

“He'll be back. He's the best fighter in Eden,” Roman tells me.

He walks up behind me. He stands there for a second. Roman is tall and thin. His body casts a shadow over mine. He isn't wearing gold which I think is even more weird. He looks at me with a concerned look at that moment when I cross my arms.

“Why are you here?” I ask him.

“Your father asked me to be here,” Roman responds, “To protect you. He just said it. Right.”

“You know he's my father?” I ask.

Roman gets quiet. It's clear he's had a slip up that he doesn't expect he should have said. He gets real still at that moment and I'm suspicious as . Why the is Roman here honestly and if my father was trying to keep our relationship a secret then why tell Roman of all people? Him being here just doesn't make any ing sense.

And why the did Jackson think Roman could protect me?

“I've said too much already,” he responds.

“You ing my father too aren't you?” I respond, “Oh...my...ING...God.”

I start towards the elevator. I can't take this. I can't ing take my ex-boyfriend sleeping with everyone. It's the only reason that can explain why he is at my father's apartment. I don't know any other reason. Roman should be at school with the other students. Instead he knows my father's secrets and he's in his ing apartment. Oh, hell no.

“Where are you going? I'm not having with your father,” Roman responds, “You can relax. I'm probably the only person in Eden that doesn't want to Jackson.”

“Then why are you here. And I don't want no bull about you protecting me. You are the one person I can never figure out Roman and this just adds to it. So either you tell me what t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter