CH4

Sons of Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I can’t take sitting in the class with Mino and Roman. I don’t even hide it. My eyes are looking at Roman and Mino. I’m making this heavy noise in the back of my throat.

“This dude is having some type of AB seizure,” Bambam jokes loudly to the rest of the class.

He may be right. I may at least be having some type of panic attack for all I know. I can’t help it. My body is betraying me completely. My heart is racing. My body is shaking. I’m getting a panic attack. I don’t know what causes me to get up at that moment and storm out of the room. I see the other students looking at me when I do it. I storm out in the middle of Jackson saying something about our schedule and syllabus.

“Mr. Jr. JR!” I hear Jackson scream out after me.

I could care less about the fact that my young hot teacher is calling after me. I’m in the hallway and I press myself up against the wall. A couple of Class A students walk past me. They must be headed to their next class already. They look at me whisper something about me being the “Ab” and when I flash my fangs at them they quickly scanter away. It’s the first time that I actually was able to make my fang pop out. Now that they are out I’m wondering how the I can retract them to normal length.

I touch my fangs and feel how sharp they are. They are dangerous. They aren’t canine teeth. These things are tiny blades. Even running my finger across them gently causes me to prick my finger.

“You need to put those away,” I hear a voice say.

It’s Jackson. If this wasn’t embarrassing enough how I reacted, now my teacher is in the hallway coming to check up on me. He looks at me with a worried look and stands in front of me as other students are slowly beginning to empty out of their classes down the other side of the hallway.

“I don’t know how,” I explain.

“They are an extension of you. They have a tendency to come out when you are emotional,” he explains to me, “Try to calm down.”

“How the hell can I calm down when Roman is in there with…him.”

“You don’t have a choice.”

“I can leave. That’s a choice. Why would you bring BOTH of them here?”

“It wasn’t my choice,” Jackson explains and looks away. His voice softens at that moment before he adds an honest, “I wouldn’t have done that to you.”

The way Jackson looks at me is like he is concerned. It’s kind of cute honestly but it’s hardly a distraction that on the other side of this wall Mino and Roman were there. They were probably holding hands. They were probably whispering about how stupid I look that they were able to get underneath my skin. I hated that I let them get underneath my skin. My emotions were so intense.

Jackson’s tone is different with me when we are in private. He doesn’t seem authoritative. He just seems like he honestly cares. The more I think about it the more I realize that he probably wasn’t the one who made that decision and it’s no point in me getting pissed off at him.

“Then whose choice was it? Let me go scream at them.”

Jackson gives me a sigh, “Here’s a hall pass. Yeah. I know. It’s elementary but it’s the rules. His office is on the first floor. He’s the Dean of the school. Our Version of a Principal. His name is Dean DeMarco.”

Jackson was…helping me. I nod taking the pass from him.

“Thank you.”

“Oh and Jr. I wouldn’t recommend screaming at Dean DeMarco…”

***

Dean DeMarco’s office is what you would think when you think Vampire. The secretary is a pale woman whose skin almost looks translucent. She gives me a deathly stare and does this Nosferatu-like walk towards as she guides me towards the office. DeMarco’s office is cold. It’s almost as though he has the air conditioning turned up to the maximum. I get shivers down my spine as I walk through the door.

“Sit,” she commands me.

I sit in the chair and slowly the chair turns around with a loud squeak. DeMarco himself is a young looking man. He looks maybe in his early 20s. I still haven’t gotten used to the age thing with the vampires. It’s like I’m in a time loop or something where everything is upside down. DeMarco crosses his arms and looks at me with a cold blank stare. There is nothing friendly about him.

His thin fingers crawl up, “Is there something I can help you with sir?”

“My name is Jr…Park Jinyoung…”

“Speak up!”

The voice booms when he talks. It scares the out of me. It’s almost like he’s reaching over and ripping at my vocal chords.

“My name is Park Jinyoung,” I explain to him.

“Vampires don’t use last names boy,” he tells me shaking his head, “You have so much to learn. I know who you are. After your spectacle all of Eden knows who you are. I’ll tell you this much. Those paparazzi outside of the school won’t get in these doors. It’s enough having JB in class O. If you think you are going to get famous in my school…you have another thing coming.”

I don’t understand what he is talking about having JB in Class O. Was JB some type of celebrity or something in the vampire world?

I’m scared to ask. Besides I wonder if the Dean is exaggerating. Paparazzi? There were vampire paparazzi?

“I wouldn’t think of it sir,” I tell him, “I was just wondering…”

“Speak up. You sound like a little girl. Are you afraid? Do I frighten you?”

DeMarco gets up off his chair. He makes his way towards me. There is something so ing scary and menacing about this man. This was a mistake coming here. It was a ing mistake. His dark features seem to extend to a dark deadly looking stare. He presses his stare into me. He walks up behind me in the most threatening way. Is he going to snap my neck? Will he kill me right here and right now? My heart is racing. It looks like he wants to.

I ignore his question and basically spit out the reason I’m here, “I don’t understand the reason that Mino and Roman are here.”

“Roman has been here. He’s been in the O class. As far as Mino…we had no choice. Jackson explained what you did to the boy. He explained how you nearly killed him. If we hadn’t turned him into one of us…he would have died. Is that what you want? Did you want to kill him?”

“Of course not.”

“Then why are you here.”

“Sir…he’s in my class.”

“Your class? That’s laughable. Class O is for vampires with O type blood. He has O type blood. The old lady tested it herself. Are you calling the old lady a liar?”

“No sir, of course not.”

“Are you saying that you have more right to be in that class than students who actually have O type blood?”

“Sir I’m just---“

“SPEAK UP!”

“Sir I just think it would be weird being the history I have with both boys. Maybe I can be placed in a different class. Maybe I’d be better suited for class A or maybe class B.”

“So you are trying to overturn the decision of the king.”

“Of course not.”

“You think you are above the law?”

DeMarco grabs me. He puts his fingers around my throat. I can feel my body quivering underneath them. I try to push him off but it’s useless. The strength is something that I’ve never seen for. His eyes are all of a sudden black. Fangs are protruding from his mouth. The dean looks ready to rip me to pieces. My heart is racing. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve never felt strength like this before. It’s almost like I’m being held up against this wall by a truck. I don’t even budge no matter how much I struggle.

“Of course not sir.”

“Then get the……out of my office before I rip your ing head off,” he tells me.

He releases me and goes back to his desk asking for the next student as though I’m nothing at all.

***

My heart is racing after my meeting with DeMarco. Jackson seems to know what it’s like and I’m shocked when he tells me that I can the rest of my first day off. He says that it’s not important. He says he’ll write me a medical pass. Honestly I don’t know how to thank Jackson enough. I am shaken up about my meeting with the Dean and I still can’t deal with my past.

I spend the rest of the day in the Class O dorm. The dorm is bigger than I remember. There is a note on my bed and I see that someone has left me some more golden clothes and some extra toiletries. I look at the note.

It reads: I didn’t snitch –but here are your stitches - JB.

I roll my eyes at how corny JB is but honestly I sigh a little bit wondering how long it’s going to be before he shows me his true self. With no one else in the dorm I feel comfortable exploring a little bit. The bunk beds are laid out in the front of the dormitory. The bathroom area is behind a door and has old fashioned stalls.

There is a common area in the back that has a fridge and a table. There are couches as there as well. Next to the couch there is a fireplace that is being unmanned. I guess the vampires don’t really care about burning down since they are immortal. That’s the only reason I can think of why this fire is going with no one around.

The fridge is packed with blood. The blood is prepackaged as if this is some goddam Capri Sun or something. Truthfully I remember how comforted I felt by the blood last time I drank it. Maybe that’s the reason I take some blood sit down and watch the television.

I turn on the television. There’s only one channel. Fangtastic TV. The show that’s on right now is an informative peace talking about farming in Eden and flaunting how the crops that grow in Eden are so much more superior to everyone’s elses.

I fall asleep to it.

For the second night. I don’t dream.

***

When I wake up I realize the others are back. I didn’t even hear them walk in. Nelly is sitting on the couch next to me. I look in the break room to notice the others eating. I can’t help but to notice Roman and Mino. Mino is sitting next to Roman. He looks shy and he’s being quiet. What bothers me however is the fact that Candy is there. She’s smiling. She’s seeming to break the ice with Mino. She’s actually being nice. What bothers me even more is JB. He’s chatting it up with Roman at the breakroom table in the common area. They are far enough away from me that I can’t hear what they are saying.

“Don’t bother…these walls are enchanted. They block vampire hearing. Only the older vampires can use that trick here,” Nelly states.

I look over at her. She’s been there for a while. It’s clear by how comfortable she looks. I don’t know how long I’ve been asleep but it must have been for a while.

“Does JB know Roman?” I ask Nelly.

“Of course. They are like best friends.”

“Great…” I say.

I can’t hide my disgust. It’s clear now why JB is over there laughing it up with Roman. They are talking amongst themselves. I wonder if Roman was raised a vampire too. Had he known that when he turned 18 he would be turned into a vampire his entire life. Is that why he disappeare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter