CH10

Sons of Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a strange moment when you realize that the man you spent the first part of your life loving is actually a twin. He's standing there with someone else and I'm not sure who is who. I'm not sure what it all means but the two twins are glaring at me...one with nothing more than recognition and the other one with a passion that I remember from a long time ago.

The one with the passion stares at me, “My name is Mark.”

My heart is racing. I shouldn't be surprised Roman was always full of secrets but I realize the one that I thought was Roman this whole time was really this guy named Mark. I sit there and look at him and I don't know what to think. Is he a stranger? He is the man that I fell in love with?

“I'm Roman,” the other one says before shaking his head, “You probably know Mark a lot more though. He's spent the most time with you.”

“You were the one I was in a relationship with,” I say. It's not a question. I can tell by the way this boy is looking at me. I can see the passion that I remember when we were younger.

“We switched in and out when it was necessary but yes...I am the one that fell for you. That was bad enough and made our mission hard enough. But when my brother Roman started having feelings for your best friend Mino we knew we had to disappear.”

It all makes sense now. Hearing this boy...Mark or whatever tell me that it was hard for him to fall for me kind of hurts. Looking at him and not realizing I was never really in love with Roman but his twin brother blows my ing mind. Yet it all makes sense. The bi-polar reactions to everything. Sometimes Roman seemed into me and other times he was into Mino. Sometimes he seemed good in certain classes and other times he wasn't. Sometimes he seemed to hate JB and other times he was JB's best friend. These were two different people and this entire time they'd been pretending to be the same person.

The one that has to be Roman looks at me, “I was with Mino only a few times but we were scared you'd find out and think we...or Mark, to be more specific, was cheating on you. Then . We'd have to explain to you everything and your father wouldn't have been with it at the time.

Mark nods “When I turned you I figured you'd be out for a few hours. My brother wanted to switch with me. He wanted to spend some time with Mino so...we did. I figured it didn't hurt. You'd never know. What we didn't expect was for you to wake up early and find my brother in bed with Mino.”

“I nearly killed you,” I tell Roman at that moment.

I don't know whether to feel bad or not. I was confused. It wasn't my fault. It was their fault. They tricked me. These stupid boys were playing games with Mino and I this entire time. But it wasn't a game. No. It was a mission.

Roman nods, “My brother felt bad about that. We had always planned for you and my brother to be together in Eden. Even your father was partially on board. But after you damn near killed me I got Mark to agree to let me be with Mino instead.”

The shock of it all just throws me.

And then I think I'm not the only one these twins have been lying to. I'm not the only one they have been switching in and out. Mark wanted to be with me. But Roman wanted to be with Mino.

“We have to tell Mino,” I say.

“We can't do that,” Mark tells me, “You know we can't.”

“I don't know . Mino was my best friend. We have been torn apart because we felt we were in love with the same man. If you aren't the same man then maybe there's a chance that he won't hate me.”

“We told you because you are the only one your father trusts in Class O.”

“Mino isn't a threat,” I respond.

“I know that,” Roman agrees, “But we have to stick with the plan. Mino can't know that we are twins...no matter what. This is a matter of vampiric security. It isn't just about our personal relationships anymore.”

I shake my head at that moment, “This is ed up.”

I can't believe all of this. My heart is racing. I feel betrayed but a part of me actually feels relieved. I don't know why at first but in the darkness I lean up against the wall and I start thinking about it. Why the do I feel like there is this huge weight off my chest.

“I'll give the two of you time,” Roman states.

With that he walks away. That is when the other one walks up to me. Mark. When he moves closer to me I recognize that the look in his eyes has never changed. It had never wavered. It was the same look that he had when he was younger. Even now in the darkness as he approaches me I can feel his eyes peering through my soul...searching for something.

“I've been staying at your father's house in the city,” Mark tells me, “We'd switch from time to time so that I can check up on you, but for the most part it was Roman at school with you. You don't understand how hard it's been to be so close to you and yet be so far.”

“Roman.”

“Mark,” he corrects me.

. This , “Whoever you are. I don't know you. Not anymore.”

Mark puts both hands across me at that moment. He mounts over me. He isn't touching me but his arms are caging me in so that I have no where to go. His breath smells fresh as he talks. He leans down like he used to so that our eyes connect. He is a classic y vampire, oozing appeal because of how mysterious he is. Now I know that he's always been mysterious. He's always had a reason. This boy was dangerous and I knew this from the beginning. Today was him just proving it...once again.

“Remember when we used to say that we'd be together always and forever,” he states, “We promised it. I would walk with you. And I promised I would never leave you.”

Always and forever.

That was our promise.

For a moment I realize I'm being into his dark eyes. He'd always had so much swag. I realize now that both of them must have had the swag. It must have been something they shared because that was the one thing that remained consistent with their different personalities. I can't allow myself to fall for that .

“I remember. That was right before you left me,” I acknowledge.

“I never left. You didn't see me for those two years but I was always close. I was always watching in the shadows. I was always guarding you making sure you were safe. I never left. And even now I've never left. I've always loved you Jr. Always and forever.”

He lifts my chin.

He leans in. Always and forever, he whispers. Over and over again. I close my eyes as he leans me up to him. I feel my world shatter as Mark kisses my lips. Yes. I knew those lips. Those were the lips of someone that I knew forever. Those were the lips of someone who never left my side. And for that moment I forget all about JB.

JB who?

At that moment I forget all about the lies. I forget all about the mystery. I remember my Roman and I come to the realization that this entire time my Roman has been, my Mark.

“I'm so confused,” I try to snap out of it and attempt to push him off.

“What's there to be confused about. I didn't cheat on you. I never left you. We can be together now. Everything is exactly how it should be.”

“No. No it's not,” I respond.

I remember JB. I remember the guy who is honest with me. I remember the guy who doesn't have a million secrets and who doesn't lurk in shadows. I remember the vampire who is less like Dracula and more like a knight in shining armor. JB. That's who I'm with now.

And it doesn't take Mark much to read into my response, “He can't love you like I can.”

I roll my eyes, “Good night Rom---I mean Mark.”

***

The next day I'm beyond confused. I have the perfect man and JB is sweeter than I can imagine. He wakes me up to warm blood served by his body guard Youngjae. He walks me to class. He isn't afraid to hold to my hand and for the first time I feel like this is something that I can get used to. JB and I are in relationship and it feels good. It feels like this is where I need to be. But when we get to homeroom Roman walks in. Except I'm not sure if it's Roman or Mark.

God. What if it's Mark.

He sits on the opposite side of the room. I'm not sure if he's doing that because he doesn't want to be around Mino or if he doing that because Mino is still pissed off.

“As most of you know there are those out there who don't want Eden to exist,” Jackson explains, “They would like nothing more for vampires to be out hunting humans, taking revenge on the sons of Adam and draining their blood. As many of you also know yesterday those rogue vampires attacked Eden. But we have survived. We always survive...”

Jackson is at the front of the class addressing what happened yesterday with the attack on Eden. Everyone looks a little shaken up. Everyone looks a little rattled. I mean this vampire utopia that was created for us was threatened. They had reason to be afraid. I should probably be afraid too. Instead I'm turning and making eye contact with Roman at the back of the class. I just want to see if it's the twin who is in love with me or if it's the one in love with Mino.

When Roman looks away without much interest at all I know immediately that it isn't Mark. It's Roman.

“You ok?” JB whispers over to me.

“I'm fine...”

“Really because you keep looking back at Roman,” JB notices.

He seems more curious than upset. I guess he has every right to be. I was staring at Roman. It's hard not to stare after what I just found out yesterday.

“Pay attention JB,” Jackson states at the front of the class, “Being a prince does not put you above the rules here.”

JB looks a little phased by me. He leans back in his chair, “I'm sorry sir.”

Jackson nods before continuing, “Good. With midterms coming up I think this is a very important time to get some extra credit in. Some of you need it.”

“Only one person that I know of,” I hear Candy say.

Jackson doesn't shut her up which kind of annoys me. It's almost like he wants me to hear Candy trolling me. She does it so ing well. My father shoots me a glance at that moment as if it wasn't clear enough that Candy is referring to me. I find myself embarrassed...yet again as the rest of the class stares at me. I can never catch a ing break.

“After your classes today you all have the option to go out into Eden and volunteer your time in helping to rebuild what was lost in the attack yesterday. Offer your aid to your fellow vampires. Make sure you get them to sign off on what you did to help them. The more people you get to sign off on you the better.”

With that the bell rings for us to get to our first class. As we start leaving the class room Jackson grabs my arm and whispers quickly in my ear. He tells me to meet him in the classroom tonight. I jerk away from him just in time for JB to walk over to me and put his hand over my shoulder.

I look over at JB, hoping to God he didn't notice Jackson whispering in my ear.

I try to change the subject quick as hell, “This is good news. I can get some extra credit.”

Luckily JB doesn't seem upset about anything. He's actually in a really good mood despite Jackson whispering in my ear or me staring Roman down in class. He is flashing his pearly white teeth and I swear an A Type Blood student falls over in a daze from staring at JB too hard. JB is so clueless to how ing y he is that he doesn't even notice that he's causing people to have accidents while walking.

“I'll go with you,” he responds staring straight ahead, “I'm top of the class in Combat, Vampire History and Art of the Kill but honestly I still think the Dean has it out for me too for not getting with his spoiled of a daughter.”

“I heard that,” Candy says.

She is behind us. I don't even see her walking behind us. She isn't alone. She's with Nelly and Mino. I'm not surprised. The three of them are still clicking up in their desperate attempt to destroy me. The funny thing is the plan they had to break JB and I up didn't work. Now they are just back at square one. They are just a part of desperation.

“Can we help you?” I ask.

“JB... aren't you tired of dating someone like this. You're the prince of Eden for god sakes,” Candy responds.

She's the type that needs people following her. Now that Satyr and Bambam left her it's onto Nelly and Mino. As I stare at Nelly I wonder if she really even wants to be there. She doesn't seem as pissed off as Mino but there is still some sort of resentment. All I have to do is take away Candy's followers and she was a nobody all over again, soaking in her misery.

“What type of guy are you talking about?” JB asks, “y...handsome...funny...smart?”

Mino raises an eyebrow, “Yeah homie. Your boyfriend is all those things for you. Funny thing is though...Jr is that for everybody.”

“ DID YOU JUST SAY?” JB says.

I watch at that moment as JB lunges for Mino. It's some fast . I see nothing but fangs and luckily I'm able to jump through the air and tackle JB before he takes a chunk out of Mino's neck. I watch as Nelly pulls Mino away at that moment. Mino looks like he wants to fight and honestly I'm interested to see who would be on top of that fight. The two of them were the top of combat class.

Little did Mino know though that if he hit JB he'd be given the Final Death. He is sitting there wanting to fight until Nelly probably reminds him of that little fact. I watch Mino walk away almost immediately with Nelly.

While my so called best friend is calling me a , I'm saving him from getting killed for attacking a prince.

A crowd is forming. This isn't good. This was going to be in the media if we weren't careful.

“What is it going to take for you to realize that he's not right for you?” Candy asks JB.

JB is breathing heavy. I swear I think he's going to attack Candy next. Luckily I'm in the way of it. I stand there and I hold him off.

“JB, forget her. She's not worth it,” I plead.

JB isn't listening to me though. He gets in Candy's face and puts a finger right between her eyes, “Listen . I don't want you and your dried pruned up . I wouldn't take that if it was laced in the best tasting blood out here. You ain't to me. You never will be to me. God forbid me and my man broke up tomorrow I'll spend an eternity trying to get back with him before I give you the time of day. I know we're vampires. We're undead—-but I'm going to need you to you a ing life.”

My mouth is open.

I think everyone's mouth is open...including Candy. I mean JB was royalty from Eden. You would have thought he was a hood dude from Harlem how he just cussed Candy out. Everyone is completely quiet.

My mouth gets dry and all I can manager to whisper is, “Goddam.”

“Let's go baby,” JB states.

JB grabs my hand and he's walking away with me. And I swear I need a second to change my underwear because JB just made me moist as .

After class JB and I head out into the city to do some volunteer work for the extra credit. JB isn't allowed to leave the school without less than twenty ing security guards but luckily they agree to stay at a distance so not to make a big fuss.

That doesn't work at all.

The swarms of people that meet us on the streets make me really feel what it is like to date a ing celebrity. Vampires are swarming around. Camera are flashing. People are screaming out our names hoping to get a picture of the prince and his boo. JB is holding tight onto my hand. I think he's doing it more f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter