Slate Grey

Cor Carmina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Let there be no noise made, my gentle friends;

Unless some dull and favourable hand

Will whisper music to my weary spirit

Kibum’s hand is tucked in mine. His fingers are so elegant, so long, and mine are thick and heavy like a construction worker’s.

I can feel his tension through those fingers. He clenches my hand like a vice.

“Kibum,” I whisper. My voice echoes through the empty hallways of the hospital. “Relax.”

He looks up at me, and just like that, he takes my breath away.

He glances down at our interlinked hands and smiles apologetically. “Sorry,” he breathes, and pulls his hand away, them on his thighs.

I reach out and pull his hand back into mine. “Just relax.” I say.

Grandma went back home roughly three hours ago. It’s almost evening now, and the tests are over. They were exhausting, mind-numbing even to me. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like for Kibum.

“Are you okay?” I ask him.

“I’m okay.” He says. Then he leans his head on my shoulder, and my heart starts beating doubly fast.

Suddenly, my entire world is simply the warm feeling of his head on my shoulder.

I try my hardest not to squirm or move or do anything.

“Jjong,” he says, and the sleep is so obvious in his voice. “You’re tensed.”

I force my shoulders to relax, trying to ignore the strumming his nickname for me has caused.

“I’m tired.” He says. “Where’s Taemin gone?” He asks, lifting his head and looking around. As if on cue, we see a thin, willowy figure walking sullenly down the corridor in our direction. All fatigue forgotten, Kibum leaps up and holds his hand out for the coffee that Taemin’s holding.

“They’re ready, hyung.” Taemin says. Kibum’s eyes go wide behind the rim of his cup. I can see his fingers starting to shake once more.

“Kibum, it’s going to be fine, okay?” I say, steadying his cup before he spills any of the coffee on himself. “I’ll be right there.”

Taemin looks at me, then at Kibum. His gaze drops to our intertwined fingers. I can see the gears turning in that evil little mind of his. Before he can open his mouth to say something, I push past him and lead the way into Dr Lee’s hospital.

Suddenly, before we can enter, a voice shouts Taemin’s name.

“Lee Taemin!”

Kibum’s eyes double in size, and so does Taemin’s. Taemin lets out a small squeak.

I back away just as a tall, very tall man runs into Taemin’s arms.

“Minho-” Taemin manages, before the man pulls away, and crashes his lips onto Taemin’s.

Kibum looks over all this with a satisfied look on his face.

Minho whispers soft apologies into Taemin’s lips. I can see tears running down Taemin’s cheeks. Kibum smiles and I feel very out of place here.

“Guys, you can come ins-” Dr Lee says, peeking out from the door, but stops when he sees Minho and Taemin kissing.

“Oh,” He says. “Ahem. Take your time, then.” He says. Then he slips on something, and comes crashing to the floor.

I run to his side, alarmed. Taemin and Minho break away. Kibum slides next to me, and we don’t know what to do, because Dr Lee’s shoulders are shaking- is he crying?

Then he turns, and we all heave a sigh of relief, because he’s laughing.

“Are you okay?” Minho asks. Dr Lee nods, laughing. I help him stand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter