The Test and Americano

Not A Drama, But Ordinary Life

Sigh.

 

I shut my eyes down. Since last night i can't sleep properly. My eyebags looks scarier; it double-ing itself, with darker lines. My mind keep running around my head when i was trying to calm it down, it's no use. Last night i was talking with my mother on Skype; to redeem my worries. We talked about everything; until she had to ask herself to go sleep because i just wouldn't hung up the phone. I feel stress last night, and i did not have anybody to talk so i forced her to accompany me until she tired. After the beeps, i lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling, couldn't let my eyes closed, until i feel asleep 3 hours later. Then, i realized that i went to bed at dawn.

 

It's 6.00 now. I forced myself to get up because i wouldn't want to ruin my day, today. It is an important day to me and the other foreigner who work at my company. Today is the Test day-- the Korean Proficiency test that will be held this morning. The important test that will determine our future career in this Company. I need to pass the test. Pass the test means pass the requirement for the 'real job'. People with Korean Proficiency will have the license to do more challenging thing, such as Negotiation. While the one without it will stay in the practical stuff. Challenging thing means more work. More work means more sallary. And I'm all about money. I'm in shortage of money these day, so i really need to pass through it.

 

I grab my finest make up, to fix the mess on my face. It's swollen, so i had to applied more make up to it. Hope anyone would not pay attention to it today that i have more clowny face. My phone rangs, which happens to be my mom. She sends me 43 chats long, full of emojis, hope i can pass my test. I smiled. She always be my sweetheart even when we are far apart.

 

Today's weather is kinda supporting my feeling today. It's breezy, yet shiny. I walked down the street slowly, clear my mind with fresh air. Everything seems flat today, it's boring and unattractive enough to forget the burden in my back. Some highschoolers keep staring at the subway today, kinda mocking my appearance, but i let it slide as i have no interest to care about it now.

 

My silence-ness wouldn't let me go, also at the office. Literally i haven't been saying any word to my co-workers. I choose to simply bow and smile. When i sat, my legs shakin', nervously. My nervous wouldn't go anywhere, even when Hana come to me cheerfully, brought me some doughnut which she made it by herself just for me, as she stated that the doughnut will make me less-worry. She keep talking and cheering me, but it just made me more nervous. I smiled at her awkwardly, hoping she would leave me alone. Everthing get so awkward then she let me go. I felt sorry for being rude, but i really need to calm myself.

 

The clock keep moving forward. It's almost the time. I walked out the room, moving to 45th floor where the test will be held. I met Hanbin on my way, he rub my back, saying things will be alright. I bowed, and walked again. The test will be held at 9.00, so i should move faster. I walked in the big hall with so many computers on. There were so many people already here; i only recognize some of them, the other weren't familiar. They either from the other department, or other branches from all over Korea. Then I spot someone who sat at the end, near the window, waving at me, energeticly shouting my name. I quickly run to his seat.

 

"Where have you been, girl? I've waited for you forever! Don't you know the struggle to keep this hot-seat for us?" He pouted cutely. I laugh.

 

"I'm so sorry. The traffic out there. Can not handle that. The registration were sooooo long. As long as.... you love me, Bambam."

 

Bambam laughs. Then he pull me to sit next to him. Bambam is one of my foreigner friend here. He's Thai, from Creative Design Department. We met on the Orientation day. At first i thought he was Chinese nor Japanese. Then i suprised when i accidentally look at his identity card. He has that long, familiar name to me. Kunpimook Bhuwakul. We're straightly match as fellow Southeast Asian member. He's always positive, friendly and funny. That's what i like about him. We're close since then.

 

"How is it? You ready?" Bambam looks at me.

 

"Can't you see my legs still shaking? I'm nervous af."

 

"Want some bubble gum? I got some." Bambam reach his pockets, handing me Berry Gum.

 

"No.. i don't feel like i want to put anything in my mouth. How can you not worry at all?"

 

"Because i believe i will pass? And you too, of course." He smiled brightly. Gosh. Such a positive bubble.

 

The comitee starts to walk around us, check the ID and make sure we didn't bring anything to cheat. We had to hand our phone to the commitee.

 

DING!

 

Time : 08.57

From : Do Kyungsoo ( +82 45321XXXXX )

 

Good luck for your test. And call me right after. :)

I smiled. I turn my phone off before hand it to the guy.

.

.

.

.

3 hours passed. I sighed. Its over. They said the result will come out in a minute. Therefore, we stayed still in our seat. There were nothing in our screen, only the timer ticking, countdown-ing the result. Heavy mental burden that have been hanging on my back somehow gone. I believe, somehow, God will help us today.

 

Seconds pass. There were only 20 seconds left. I peek at Bambam. He looked nervous, either. I tried to remain calm-- hoping for the best.

 

And Bam.

 

The screen gets dark, and things suddenly pop-out.

 

Your test result : 51.89%

 

My mind goes blank. I blinked once. twice. thrice. I pass. I can't hold my happiness. I smiled so brightly. I cover my mouth to prevent the excitement.

 

Bambam looked at me. His face looked happy, also. He winks at me. I looked at Bambam's computer. 53.04%

 

We did it.

 

I jumped out, hugs him so tight. Come to our senses, we walked out the hall.

 

"GOD WE MADE IT!" Bambam screams, jumping left and right, left and right. He seriously being too loud now. Some of them staring at us, harsly. Like they want to throw us far far away.

 

"Yes Bam-ah.. but can you cut off a bit? Can't you see some of them stare at us..."

 

"What? Bish, i do not care." He slick his hair off. I laugh. Well, my Bambam just being Bambam, there's nothing wrong with it.

 

"Let's go grab something later," Bambam winks, "It's on me."

 

"Well... i'm not promising any." I shrugged my shoulder doubtly.

 

"Why! We should party it. It's a demand." Bambam pouts.

 

"Arasso. I'll call you later. Now let's get back to work!"

.

.

.

.

.

15th floor. I got back to my department. People start to notice as i walk back to my desk. Bong, my co-workers, shout when i come back. "Guys, uri-Tika has come back! Let's see the result!" In a second, there were people around me.

 

"How is it? Ppali-Ppali tell us."

 

I look at them, one by one. Tried to be as mysterious as i can, well to surprised them. But my acting skill isn't that good. I can't fool them.

 

"I.... pass." I smiled so bright, like a fool.

 

"YAH! REALLY!" Hana screams, hugged me tightly.

 

"I know you can! You're cool!" Jaebum pat my head proudly, like an Appa to his daughter.

 

"Of course! She's the best we can get!" Bong pinch my cheek.

 

Hearing that good news, which is already spread in my department by Hana's loud sound, Seunghyun immediately walked to us. "Congratulation, Tika-ssi. You did a good job. We're proud of you." Seunghyun smiled calmly, offering a handshake. I bite my lips, shyly. My goddess manager congratulates me. Thank god, my heart bouncing like it will jumped off my chest.

 

"Thank you sir, and all of you for your help. You guys are the best."

 

"Hey hey hey, what about karaoke this weekend? We should celebrate it, don't we? Seunghyun-ssi, what do you think?" Jaebum said, as he doing his beginner-level aegyo to our boss.

 

Seunghyun smirk. "All right. I got you guys, this weekend party after work! Now let's just back to work, or i will cut off your payment!" We all laugh of Seunghyun jokes which is terrifying us, then get back to our desk.

 

I turn back, saw my surroundings, like there's something missing. Everything seems right, tho. I refuse to think more about it.

 

Then i realized something. Where is Mino?

.

.

.

.

.

I just finished my un-done work that been neglected this past week. I turn my head, stretch my sore-back because i've sat here for almost 5 hours. I look out the window. The sky goes dark, with orange tinge from the sunset. I grab the doughnut that Hana gave me this morning, it's already got soggy. Afterall the taste still good, so i'm okay with it.

 

DING!

 

I turned around. I saw my phonescreen flash. From afar, i can see Park Bogum's face smiled at me; i use his face as my phone lockscreen. I swab it to see the messaging.

 

Time : 18.37

From : Do Kyungsoo ( +82 45321XXXXX )

Hey, told you to call me right after.

 

I smiled. I totally forgot his message after this hectic day.

 

Time : 18.39

To : Do Kyungsoo (+82 45321XXXXX )

 

Mian. Totally forgot ><

 

DING!

 

Time : 18.44

From : Do Kyungsoo ( +82 445321XXXXX )

Hm. Are you done yet? I'm downstairs.

 

What? Does he saying he's here? I quickly grab my thing, saying goodbye and run to the elevator. He must be kidding me, saying he goes this far to my office.

 

There were so many people on Main Hall. I look around. There were no sign of his presence. He must be kidding me. I snuffle, chafe because he just got me. Not funny.

 

"Miss, looking for me?"

 

I turned around. Then i found Do Kyungsoo smiled with his sweet heart-shaped lips, sweetly.

 

"You!" I hit his arm. Kyungsoo groans,"How can you got here?"

 

"How can you not call me when i told you to?" Kyungsoo hit me back, playfully.

 

"So mean! How can you hit a girl!"I pinch his arm back, "My fault. I'm too busy with the other today. By the way, why are you here, Kyungsoo-ya?"

 

"I'm your teacher, fyi? Of course i want to know how's my student doing."

 

"You don't need to worry, songsaeng-nim." I smiled, "Of course i pass it."

 

"I know you will. Shall we celebrate it now?" Kyungsoo winks.

 

I smirked. "Kaja. I'm starving, songsaeng-nim." I grab his hand and walked away.

.

.

.

.

.

.

It's almost 9 p.m. We already done our dinner-- we went to dongdaemun and had some Kimchi stew for dinner. I insist to paid for it-- i didn't let him pay, because I wanted to thank him to help me this much—at last he sent me home. We walked down the street together to my apartment.

 

"So tell me, how can you eat that much?" Kyungsoo ask as he walked by my side.

 

“We live to eat. How can you guys not eat much?”

 

“Careful of your body. It’ll explode.” He teased me.

 

“I don’t care. My body is mine. I’ll do whatever I want.” I sticking my tongue out. He laughs.

 

As we walked pass by the coffee shop in my area, I saw someone familiar for me. His silhouette; it’s familiar.

 

Curious enough, I ask Kyungsoo to go grab some coffee so I can see who is it. I go through the café’s door. I can smell good coffee from the bar.

 

I tried to peek as we walked to cashier. Who’s that? He looks gloomy. He stays silent—didn’t recognize his surroundings. As I move myself to go closer, I can see his swollen face. And it’s Mino. Sure 100% it’s him. He looks pathentic. His table—it’s empty. There were no sign he order something. He just sit there, in the table, facing the window.

 

“Order number 24!”

 

Gosh. In a rush I walked to ordering table to grab my Latte.

 

“Let’s drink this as we walked.” Kyungsoo grabs my hands. He’s ready to go. I refuse his hands. Of course he’s surprised with my action.

 

“Uhm…. Can you wait outside? There’s my friend there. I need to say hi to him. It’s not going to be long. Promise.”

 

Kyungsoo look confused. But fortunately, he decided to do it anyway. He walked out, leave me inside. I rush to the ordering table, bought one cup of Hot Americano. I grab the cup, walked calmly to his table. Seems he didn’t notice me being there. I pulled out seat beside him. He’s surprised to see me there. I handle him the coffee cup. He look confused.

 

“For you. Your table seemed empty. So I want to fill it, hahaha” I smiled,trying to be as friendly as possible. “By the way, I don’t know what would you like, so I bought you the typical one; Americano. Hope you like it.” He still confused, but he choose the accept the coffee. He sip it, silently.

 

“I didn’t see you at work today. Where were you?”

 

No answers.

 

“Mino-ah, today I pass the test. How come you’re not there to congratulate me? What kind of neighbor are you?” I ask him jokingly. All he did was staring at me.

 

“What’s wrong, Mino-ah? Answer meeeeee.” I poke his arm, trying to crack the ice. He stare at me, without any expression. My smile get bitter. I understand. How stupid I am, i came up to him in wrong situation. Seemed like he doesn’t want to be bothered by me. Mino still stare at me, wordless.

 

“I’m so sorry, Mino-ah. To bother you in this situation. I just pass by and then I saw you, so I come. You looks gloomy, so I just wanted to lighten up your day. I don’t have any bad intention towards you, believe me. And also, if you don’t mind; you can always tell me if you have problem. Surely i'll help you if you need something. We’re neighbor, don’t we?”

I bite my lips as there were no response, “And good night.”

 

Truthfuly, his silent action-- it hurts my feeling a bit. I'd always hate silence. I'd rather getting scolded than this. I stand up, bow to him lightly, and get ready to walked out. As I turned my body, he grabs my hands.

 

“Congratulations on you.” Mino’s finally speak up, his voice cracked. “And good night too.”

 

I smiled bitter, bow again and walked out. Kyungsoo’s been waited for me there. “Is he your neighbor? What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo ask for explanation.

 

“Ah nothing, Kyungsoo-ya. Let’s get home.” I grab Kyungsoo’s arm, and walk.

 

 

Well, I don’t want to speculate anything. But what Mino did today were so strange.