Neighbourhood

Not A Drama, But Ordinary Life

These days, i realized something. I've been in Korea for a week but i haven't been look around the city. I was so busy adapting with my company. All i did for this week was going to work then come back to the hotel at night. I was leaving early so i couldn't even enjoy the view of the city. My rebel side says it isn't right. Today sunday and my house are all set; so today i wanted to have 'me time', by Explore things in my neighbourhood, Hap-jeong dong. With no ID card ( i haven't been to the immigration), less money ( unfortunately, i haven't had my living expenses and i didn't bring any Won so i am broken right now) and zero skill in Korean (seriously, all i know is Annyeonghaseyo for halo and Saranghae ), i dare myself to walk alone in Hap-jeong, where i live now.

 

Hap-jeong are located in the Southwest part of Seoul. The place is not an exclusive place such as Gangnam or Jamsil; basically not-so-crowded place to live. There aren't something special about this place.

 

Oh, there is one thing; the Han river. I could tell, google said that Hap-jeong is one of the best place to enjoy Han river. The view from Hap-jeong area are better; so now I want to see sunrise by the river, take a picture of it and post it on my Instagram. I believe the picture will come out good; good enough to boast in timeline. I want to show the beauty of 'Living in Korea'. I was so determined to do it; make me wake up earlier as before. But this morning my digestive system is against my plan; suddenly i have to fulfill my nature calls before go. Darn it. i waste a couple minutes before i can come out. i try to come out as fast as possible, because i don't want to ruin my plan. In a rush, i take my phone and come to the River. Thank god, i still have couple minutes enough to see the sunrise.

 

The sky still dark, when red shines start to rise. The storks wake up, and birds starts chirping. Indeed, it is one beautiful moment. I take my phone and snaps everywhere. The result come out good, indeed. With some editing, i'll be perfect, i think. Then i enjoy the refreshing air today. Slowly, the sun shines perfectly. From around i can see people start coming to the park, doing their jog. Some people ride bcycle with their families and lovers. I'm so happy with the view, everyone seems so happy.

 

I decided to grab some breakfast, because my stomach starts growling. I walk to the nearest seven eleven, find the most affordable breakfast. I buy 2 pieces of Samgak-Kimbap (triangle kimbap) and banana milk. I was so broke that day so i can't even buy their microwaved burger. It's okay, their kimbap is kinda good tho.

 

After feeding my poor belly, i start to walk, and walk, and walk again. The reason why i walk is because i want to see one of the trademark in Hap-jeong. Last night i googled about Hap-jeong and i found something interesting. My baby YG ENTERTAINMENT is actually not that far from my apartment. I want to see if it's true; so i want to walk there. I don't know how far i've walk but my feet start to feel stiff. Then i gain my power again because suddenly i saw an unique style building not afar from where i am. I get the familiar vibes from it, so i walk closer to it. Then all i do is screaming in happiness because in front of it, i see the board with "YG ENTERTAINMENT" written into it. In my excitement, i run into the building when suddenly i feel pain in my body.

 

My sight blackening and my mind goes blank. In a second, i realized that i was laying on the ground and there are egg yolk beside me. I can't think of anything and then a sound of woman yelling make my sense come back.

 

And there is a middle age woman, standing in front of me. She looks mad. She point at me and start yelling on her high pitch voice. She scolds me in Korean, which i don't understand. I feel panic because i wanted to talk to her but i can't even say a word.

 

Later i know, i was hit by her. I run to cross the road carelessly. She was riding her bycyle when i suddenly cross the road. She was shocked and bump into me. All of her groceries are spilled, scattered around us.

 

"Ah.... Madam..... I'm sorry..... I just...."

 

I can't say anything except talk in english. I was so scared till i talk haltingly. Maybe she get angrier knowing that i can't understand her words. She's so pissed off, after she start to hit me with her umbrella she has while cursing me in korean. I don't know what to do so i cried asking for her forgiveness.

 

 "Omonim, Jungjihasibsio! (Ma'am, please stop)"

 

Out of nowhere, i heard someone shout at us. Then i know, a boy run into us from across of the street. He looks at me, give 'it's okay, just stay still' sign, cover my body and bowing repeatedly.

 

"Ma'am, I'm sorry. She's my friend. Please stop hit her."

"Aigoo, that Michin Yeoja! that Pabo! she try to kill me, you know!

"I'm sorry Ma'am. She's new in here, so she doesn't know what she's doing. Sorry for her foolishness. Here, let me help you."

That boy starts pick up her groceries. I quickly help him and pick up some apples. The woman grumbling.

"Aissssh that stupid girl. You're dead if your friend aren't here to help you!" And then she leaves.

 

"Are you okay, miss?"

"I'm okay..... thank you so much for your help, um....."

"Jackson. I'm Jackson Wang. Here, let me help you stand."

 

He give his hand and help me to stand. I grab his hand and tried to stand, but my feet still feel numb.

 

"Can you walk, miss?" His English is very good, he has that American accent on it. Bet he's a Korean-American born.

"I'm okay, thank you so much for helping me. I have no idea if you aren't here."

"No problem. But sorry miss, i can't help you more. I have class now" He bow politely and leave. I was left there, with my feet feeling numb. My bottom's hurt from hitting the road. My eager for YG Building suddenly gone. I wanted to come back home quickly. I walk hopelessly because i know i still have long way to go. I can't ride a bus because i have no money left. I have no choice.

"God. Tell me why this happened to me. Please, i beg your help......." I walk slowly. At this pace, i should arrived tomorrow.I hold my legs, giving streght to it.

"eh, Ttika-ya?"

 

GOD HAS SENT ME HIS FALLIN ANGEL TO ME. From a hundrer meters, i saw Han Bin lookin at me while he bring coffee with him. I am so happy that i see someone i know at this situation.

 

"Yaaaaaa Han Bin-ah! Thanks god, oh no i don't believe it." I walk as fast as i can to him. He look at me with his worry face.

"Ttika, what happened to you? Why you walk like this?"

Han Bin checks my leg as i come, "Why there are bruishes in your hand? Tell me!"

Han Bin bring me into his car and give me his iced Latte. He looks worry and his eyes giving "tell-me-what-happened-to-me-girl" look. Kinda scary.

"I'm okay, Han Bin-ah. Now, can you bring me back home, pleaseeee? I will tell you later." Han bin drives me home. I had to tell him about what happened to me. His reaction was hillarious.

"So you haven't meet GD but you already get bruishes in korea? You're funny."

He laughs so hard after listening to my story. When we arrived, Han bin insist to bring me upstairs and take care of me. But i feel uncomfortable so i tell him to leave. I ended up coming by myself.

 

Finally i'm here. I was looking for my key and i couldn't find it. I didn't bring it. I start to curse myself for being such an idiot. There are password at my door but i don't know what the password is. I knock at Mino's door but there's no reply. I send him text but he doesn't read it. I tried to call him but all of them going to his mailbox.

 

"GOD WHY YOU TAKE ALL OF MY FORTUNE TODAY." I sit down in front of my door, cried desperately. Then there's a girl, come to me with groceries on her hand.

"Eh..... are you okay?" she sit in front of me. I stop sobbing and say,

"Why i am so unlucky today.....i had an accident i got all this bruishes..... this is my house but i can't even open my own door!"

"Okay.. okay don't cry......... come here, i'll take care of your wounds" She lift my arm and we walk to her unit, which is right next to mine. She offers me juice and rubbing my wound with antiseptic.

"How did you get this wound? By the way, are you the new neighbour here? Hi, i'm Amber. Amber Liu."

I nodded my head. "I'm Ttika. I'm from Indonesia. I'm Mino's co-worker. And yes, i'm new here."

"So you are foreigner who works here. Finally." She smiled. "Another foreigner in our neighbourhood. Welcome to our club, honey."

"Club? Are you not Korean?" I confused. Her face looks 99.99% Koreans.

"I'm not. From Hong Kong. Me and my Brother studied here, in Yonsei."

Then there's a sound of door slamming. A boy barge in. *speaks in Mandarin* "Jie, Wo Hui Lai Le. Ni....." He stops talking when he sees me. He remembered something.

"AH! You are that girl who was hit by bike." He stops. "By the way, why are you here?"

"She's girl who lives next door, Jackson. Don't be too loud." Amber scolds him.

"I swear to God, our world is sooooo tiny." Jackson laughs.

"How'd know her, Jackson?" Amber gave her confusion looks to Jackson.

" I helped her today.  She got hit by a lady. With an Umbrella."

Amber choked. She immidiately cover up , trying not to let her laughter out.

My face turns red. I am soooooo embarassed because it does sound stupid. Feel like i was the dumbest person alive

I swayed my hand, out of nerves. I wasn't able to look at them, my awkwardness comes over me. I was trying to explain but there's sudden sound fill the air.

 

My phone rings.

 

"Yoboseyo, why you call me?" All i heard is Mino's husky voice, sounds annoyed.

"WHERE ARE YOU? ARE YOU HOME? PLEASE HELP ME"

"YAH! You're too loud. Yes i'm here, what's wrong?"

Quickly i tell Amber who's been take care of my wound to stop. She looks dumbfounded, which i don't really care. All i want now is to go home, right by now. I bow to them 5 times, shout "Thank youuuuuuu" and go out, rush into his door.

I saw him already opens his door, staring at me with what-the-heck-do-you-want expression.

"I can't open my dooooooooor. There's password in it. I already tried 0000 for a hundred times, it won't open."

"Because it's not 0000, it's 000000, you stupid." He scolds me. "Here, i'll set new password for you. 150516. PLEASE REMEMBER IT, TTIKA-SSI. BYE."

 

He slams his door right in front of my face. I feel annoyed, but there's nothing i can do now. All i want to do now is call my Mom and sleep because i've had a super weird day today.