Chapter 2

Miracle in December

Snow stopped falling since last night, but the trace and the coldness could still clearly be seen and felt. I started my day by having a warm breakfast with my mother. God knew how happy I was now.

“Good morning mom!” I kissed her cheeks before sat down in front of her.

“What’s your plan for today?” she gave me a plate of scramble egg and a plate of toast with chocolate jam on it, my favorite.

“I am going to an interview. Wish me luck!” I winked toward her.

“Work? Already?” She gasped in disbelieve. “Should I find a position in my company for you? I can ask the CEO.”

“Mom, let me try to stand on my own feet, alright? Believe me.” I smiled. No one could be sweeter than my mother. “And maybe, I will go to Jonghyun’s house to talk about my plan.”

She smiled widely at me. “I am going to wait for two big reports today, your new job and a new daughter. Good luck Yifan!” she chirped happily.

“I talked to dad last night and told him about Jinah. He said yes too.” I told her about my conversation with my father last night. Call me lucky, but my parents were very supportive. They gave me authority to choose my own life as long as it’s not bad or dangerous. And for this one, I knew that both of my parents would support me.

She smiled. “I am glad to hear that.”

***

The interview went perfectly fine and I got the job. I was hired in an architecture company now. Yap, I was an architect. The work would start 4 days from now on, so I just had to wait.

I came to Jonghyun’s house early. It was just around 4 when I reached there. I rang the bell and waited someone to open the gate. A middle aged woman came from the front door and opened the gate for me.

“Kris?” She still remembered me.

“Hi, Mom!” I threw a big smile to this woman. The woman who always gave me the warm love, just liked my own mother.

She pulled me into a warm hug. “Oh God…you are so handsome!” she broke the hug.

“And you’re always beautiful.” I smiled widely.

“Don’t lie!” She pulled my hand. “Come in.”

That home had the same warmness. I bet Jonghyun’s mother changed the interior frequently since I couldn’t see the similarities between this home and the one that I used to know back then.

“Where are the others?” I sat down in the sofa.

“Dad and Jonghyun will come soon. And Nana, she will be back before dinner.” She told me before she went to the kitchen. “She became a doctor too, you know!”

Mom shared many stories about things happened for the past 9 years, included the painful memories about Jinah. I patted her back when she let out some tears.

“She will be fine, mom. I promise.” She smiled to me.

“I’m home” A man voice came out from the main door. Jonghyun and his father came.

“Yeobo, our other son is here.” Jonghyun’s mother walked toward her husband and planted a peck in his lips. Such a romantic couple.

“Good evening, Dad.” I bowed toward him and he hugged me.

“Hey son! You grew up well eating western food, didn’t you!” He laughed. I just nodded. “You’ll stay for dinner right?”

“Ehm…actually, I have something to say to all of you. Can we talk before dinner?” My heart beats crazily.

“Sure, let sit here.” Dad asked me to sit down on the sofa.

“Should I join the meeting, or?” Jonghyun asked me, knowing that I was serious.

“You stay, and listen too.” I told him.

“What is it, son?” Dad looked a little bit worried.

“First, I want to say sorry that I only came now.” I let out a little chuckled to calm myself. “I have big news.” I took a deep breath. “I want to get married and I want to ask for your permission to give me the blessing.”

They let out a gasped. “Really? Who is the lucky girl?” Mom asked me.

“Actually, it’s Jinah.” I checked their expression and they looked surprised. “Jonghyun told me about her yesterday. And I gave it a thought about it, a lot. My mom knew about it too. I told my parents that I want to marry your daughter. They agreed. I knew that I have no right to own the baby, but I promise that I will protect Jinah and her baby with my whole life. I love your daughter since I was a little. And knowing that she is in a difficult condition now, I really want to help her.” I inhale another deep breath. “Mom, Dad, and you, Jonghyun, may I take your precious daughter and your little sister to be my wife?” Finally, the words were out from my mouth.

“Kris, I know you’re a good man, but you don’t have to do this. I mean, you deserve better. Jinah is doing well now with us. You don’t have to put your life on the line too. Being here for her and us is enough. You don’t have to take the responsibilities to marry her. You didn’t do any mistake.” Dad told me softly.

I smiled. “I love your daughter, Mr. Hong. And I would like to love her for the rest of my life, just the way she is.”

“Kris, are you sure about this?” Jonghyun asked me.

“I really am. You know that I like her since forever, right? Please let me.” I begged.

“Okay. I give you the chance to ask her yourself. If she says yes, then we can do nothing. We will support her decision.” Dad’s final statement made my heart a little bit calm.

“Thanks, Kris,” Mom hugged me tight and cry in my embrace.

One of the obstacles was solved nicely. They welcomed me in this family as long as Jinah will agree to this plan. The last challenge was coming.

I sat down in Jonghyun’s bed and talked to him. “Why didn’t you tell me about her condition early?”

“For what? Make you come here and kill that bastard?” He chuckled. “Believe me, the boys wanted to do it too when they knew.”

“I haven’t met them yet. I am kind of missing them.” I let my mind flied a while and remember them, the boys, my other friends who live here in Seoul.

My mind came back to the previous topic. “Jonghyun, does that jerk know about Jinah’s pregnancy?”

“No, he left the country after I frightened him about the jail.” He let out a sigh. “I will never let him know about the baby.”

“Boys, the dinner is ready, come down.” Mom opened Jonghyun’s door. “And Nana is here too, Kris.” She smiled and gave me a wink.

I smiled back and nodded.

“Eugh,,,Stop that Mom. You’re not that young.” Jonghyun teased his mother’s cuteness.

Okay, this was more exciting, both in good and bad way. I couldn’t wait to meet her, but in the other hand I was afraid that I would be a coward in front of her.

“Hi Kris!” Jinah smiled to me.

Was this real? I felt that the universe stopped for a second, or two? But seriously, I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. She was beautiful, ehm.. honestly, she was beyond beautiful. Her hair was straight and dark. She was really tall and slim, with perfect curves. Her long sleeves dress which fell right in her knee made her looked more beautiful.

I smiled. “H..Hi, Jinah.” I tried to get a grip of myself.

“Can you both please talk later? I am hungry.” Jonghyun sat down beside Jinah.

“Kids, let’s eat.” Mom told us.

I couldn’t concentrate toward the dinner and the conversation. What was in my mind was just Jinah. She looked perfectly fine even though I could clearly saw the pain inside her eyes. Besides, she was fine. She grew into a beautiful young lady with her milky skin, sweet smile, and those eyes that never changed, she was………beautiful.

After the dinner I braved myself asking Jinah to take a walk with me. We stayed in the playground where we usually played years ago. She sat in the swing while I sat in the bench next to it.

“How’s life, Kris? You grew up well there in Canada.” She opened the conversation.

“World helped me well. Dad rarely came home. He is busy as always.” I looked at her.

She looked at the sky. It’s dark. The news said that the snow would fall tonight. “Ask anything. I know that you are surprised with my condition now, right?”

I nodded. “Can I really ask you? Anything?”

“I will try to answer well.” She smiled and looked at me.

I locked my eyes on hers, ready to get lost in those biggest galaxies. “Jinah, will you marry me?”

Her eyes widened, shocked for seconds, then she smiled. “Kris, it’s not funny. You have to ask about my work, my past, my pregnancy, or anything. Not that question.” She let out a chuckle.

God,,I missed it so much.

“I am not kidding, Im Jinah. Marry me.” It was not a question. It’s a command.

She looked away. “Why? Do you pity me?”

“No. I like you since we were young. And one of my reasons for coming here is you. I want to meet you, start to make a move and brave myself to tell you about my feeling. But your condition makes me want to fasten it. I want you to be my wife.” I tried to slow down my heartbeat, but I couldn’t.

“Kris, you don’t have to do this. You deserve better. I am a dirty woman. There are many other girls who will gladly say yes to that question, but not me.” I saw her glittering eyes. She was ready to let out the tears.

I moved from my place and got down on my knees in front of her. I held both of her hands. “Jinah, listen. You are precious. Don’t descent yourself. You have the right to live happily too, create your own fantasies about family. And I willingly help you to make it true. I want to make my own fairytale, with you. Please Jinah, give me the chance.”

“This baby is not yours, Kris.” She let the tears fell down on her redden cheeks.

I wiped it for her. “I know. But once you say yes to my proposal, it will be mine. I’ll love the baby as much as I love you, much more than I love myself.” I tried to convince her again.

She closed her eyes. “I am sorry, Kris, I can’t.”

I patted her head, her soft hair. “I’m sorry that I surprised you with the question. I won’t force you to answer it now. I’ll give you some time to think. But please, don’t make me wait too long.”

***

The second chapter is here. I hope you like it. please leave comments and give me advice. I have a problem with my laptop, but I hope I can update next week too....

lots of love,

Luloverdose