Denial

Keeping the Balance

                Pensive thoughts weighed heavily on Yoongi’s mind as he returned from Yejin’s shop. They were nearly enough to make him forget that Jungsu was still shadowing him, too. Almost. Instead, he was more concerned about what she’d told him. ‘You’re developing a resistance to the magic.’ He nibbled on his thumbnail as he walked, mulling it over. It made sense, considering he’d been coming back twice a year for over two centuries now, but it didn’t make the side-effects any more pleasant. Side-effects like stronger nightmares and phantom echoes of memories at unexpected times.

                It also potentially explained why the nightmare was beginning to feel more and more real. When he was younger, they were little more than a child’s memories, playing over and over again. It wasn’t until he got older, and away from his Baku, that the people began to change…

                He felt Jungsu change positions behind him. It was almost tempting enough to try and disappear on him, just because it was the Second, but that would be foolish if he succeeded and Namjoon heard about it. Bad enough that he’d deserted Jungkook… Oh, how to explain that? Worse, how was he supposed to handle the expression he knew he was going to get from the new vampire. Wounded puppy didn’t even come close to describing a hurt Jungkook. “Ugh…” he groaned, rubbing at his forehead with slender fingers.

                “Something wrong?” Jungsu asked, drifting close enough to be heard in a quiet whisper.

                “Nothing you need to be worried about,” he exhaled in quiet frustration, rubbing at one temple with his fingertips.

                “If it might affect the Coven, then it is something I need to worry about,” the elder vampire reminded him pointedly, his tone a bit more biting than it needed to be. He obviously did not care for his babysitting duty either.

                Yoongi hid a grimace and mulled over how he wanted to respond. He and Jungsu had never seen eye to eye. Most of the problem was that the Second thought Namjoon gave Yoongi preferential treatment and that he got away with more than he should have. There was some truth to the latter but if Jungsu wasn’t such a hardass to him all the time, he would be more inclined to at least try to open up to him. As it was… “I just abandoned my most recent trainee with no obvious reason he would understand and only Namjoon to shore things up during his first awakening,” he explained as he turned to look at the other vampire just behind him. “What would the oh so perfect Jungsu know about that?” he asked in as dry a tone as possible, one brow raised.

                Jungsu’s irritation was obvious, even without reading it on his face. Dark eyes glared at Yoongi for half a second before he sniffed once and offered a reply. “You’re right. I don’t know about that,” he conceded, the biting disappointment a backhanded admonishment if Yoongi had ever heard one. “For starters, though,” he added a moment later, tone changing to a more level sound. “Whatever your reason and however you approach it, be sincere. And honest,” he tacked on with another sharp edge to his voice.

                Yoongi snorted this time, a wry twist to his mouth. He didn’t actively lie but there were plenty of times he did so by omission. “Not bad advice, old man,” he mumbled, nodding his head in the other vampire’s direction.

                To his credit, Jungsu didn’t take the bait. “I may not know your situation, but the less gray in a conversation, the better,” he reasoned, hands doing as much talking as his mouth.

                Since he was only watching in his periphery, Yoongi couldn’t be sure if he actually saw Jungsu’s expression change for a split second. The eye twitch could have been some vague sense of irritation at Yoongi as much as anything else. Nor did he feel anything amiss, but he did turn further to wonder, “Something up?”

                “Huh?” Jungsu responded in complete confusion. Either he was a very good actor in that moment or he honestly had no idea what Yoongi was asking about.

                “Nothing,” Yoongi waved a second later. Even if it was something, unless Jungsu couldn’t handle it, he wouldn’t hear about it anyway. “Let’s just get back to the Coven,” he sighed, reaching for his lighter to expedite the process.

                “Not a bad idea,” Jungsu agreed, following without complaint or hesitation.

                 That more than anything made Yoongi think there was something but he still didn’t have enough to go on to sort it out. Worse, as soon as they stepped into the Coven foyer, Jungsu left without a word, leaving Yoongi with only Sanghyuk at the front. Given the time, he’d only be there for another couple hours at most but he was his usual attentive self.

                “Welcome back,” the younger vampire greeted with an uncertain wave, his smile a tad more brittle than usual.

                Did everyone think he was going to do something today? “Hey, Hyuk,” he greeted with his usual lazy wave before he stuffed his hands in his pockets and started to head upstairs. Sanghyuk didn’t try to stop him which meant his target was likely in the same direction. Yoongi wrinkled his nose and took one steadying breath. He didn’t need anyone to tell him just how ty a thing it was that he’d done. He was well aware, but it wouldn’t have been fair to either of them to have the shadow of that nightmare hanging over his head. Yejin had dulled it, like she usually did when it cropped up again now that his Baku was gone. Most of the memories of the dream were gone and what he was left with were tidbits of emotion and fragments of thoughts. Not enough to forget entirely anymore, hence his becoming resistant to the magic, but it made it… manageable.

                On his way through the hall, he passed his door and then stopped in front of Jungkook’s. The wooden barrier seemed much more daunting than usual. As such, Yoongi stared at it, unmoving, for far longer than he should have. He could feel Jungkook on the other side and that made it all the worse. Once, twice, three times he raised his hand to knock and then stopped while his gut twisted into knots. He was on the verge of trying again or literally running away when he heard Jungkook on the other side.

                “Hah! I know you’re there. I can feel you this time.” He sounded strangely excited by that fact.

                Yoongi’s eyes widened and he felt the immediate urge to flee, but he couldn’t before the door opened. Jungkook’s expression mirrored his as he froze in the doorway, blinking rapidly.

                “Yoongi,” he gasped, the word escaping as if by accident.

                “Hey,” he managed to push out, his hand waving awkwardly like he’d forgotten how to use it.

                “I thought you were Namjoon,” he admitted quietly, dropping his gaze, though he stayed in the doorway, tentatively blocking the entrance.

                “Ah. Presence training?” he wondered with a guilty twinge in his chest. He was supposed to be doing that. On a more erse note, he wouldn’t put it past the Coven Leader to be doing it just to set up this encounter so that he wouldn’t be able to escape and Jungkook would be none the wiser. At this stage, he’d never be able to tell their energy signatures apart and it took him long enough to realize Yoongi was there after all.

                “Yeah. I guess?” he answered uncertainly, gaze still lingering on the floor. It almost appeared like he was the guilty one. It hurt to see.

                “Probably,” Yoongi nodded, his lips as he shifted from foot to foot. “You gonna invite me in?” he wondered, forcing a half-laugh that fell far shorter than it should have.

                “I don’t know,” Jungkook answered, leaving both slightly surprised by the response, though it was harder to see with him still looking down.

                Ouch. Not that Yoongi could blame him. He took a steadying breath and lifted his shoulders. “In that case, can I come in?”

                That made Jungkook look up. Wary, he searched Yoongi’s face while uncertainty danced clear as day on his own. Without a word, he finally stepped aside and gave the elder vampire enough space to step in.

                A very small knot uncoiled in Yoongi and he nodded in acknowledgement before he stepped inside. He didn’t turn when Jungkook carefully closed the door behind him and he didn’t move when the younger vampire retreated to the foot of his bed. He didn’t sit down, but remained standing as if ready to react accordingly. It felt like a million thoughts tumbled through Yoongi’s head in a mere span of seconds and yet nothing seemed right. The only thing that did… “I’m sorry.”

                Taken aback by the unexpected comment, Jungkook blinked and then frowned. It was clear he hadn’t thought that would be the first statement. Fidgeting in place, he allowed the hurt confusion to show again. “Why?”

                Yoongi knew it was not about the apology. He frowned. This was not a conversation he was used to having this early with his trainees. Nervously, he scratched his thumb with his index fingernail and took a small breath. “Did you ever figure out if I was born a human or a vampire?” he asked quietly.

                “Don’t try to change the subject,” Jungkook objected, his facial expression closed off.

                “I’m not,” Yoongi promised, slightly raising his hands in surrender. Jungkook nodded once in answer to his question. “Vampire or human?” he repeated gently, waiting for the response.

                Jungkook made a face but took a small breath and answered, “Vampire.”

                “Clever,” Yoongi praised, a weak but genuine smile on his lips.

                “You always talk about humans like they’re something you learned about,” he explained quietly, shrugging his shoulders at the answer. “Not like they were something you once were.”

                “Very clever,” he reiterated, nodding this time. Jungkook didn’t say anything but Yoongi would by lying if he wasn’t pleased by the slightest smile he managed to conjure from the new vampire. “My parents were both vampires. A Rank 4 and a Rank 2,” he added in an offhand manner. “When I was younger, barely more than a child as vampires go, they were attacked at home. I still don’t know why but my father was killed and my mother hasn’t been seen since that day. Literally,” he added with a dark frown. If she wasn’t dead, she damn well should have shown up by now…

                It was obviously not what Jungkook had expected to hear. “I’m sorry,” he whispered, one hand rising slightly as if to offer comfort, though he did not take a step forward.

                Yoongi waved it away gently and shook his head. “Not your fault.” He looked to the side and took a breath to steady himself. “The problem now is getting close to people.” He exhaled gustily and laughed, a bitter and broken sound. “I know it sounds stupid but there is something in me that reacts when I develop any attachment to someone,” he admitted, clenching his fists and working his jaw as he carefully avoided looking at Jungkook. If he didn’t mention him specifically, maybe he wouldn’t make the connection.

                “Like…” Jungkook started hesitantly, “between a mentor and his mentee?”

                Dammit. Yoongi grimaced and his lips, again keeping his gaze turned from Jungkook. He nodded instead of verbalizing his response, but he still had to give some kind of explanation. “Have you ever had a memory that was so tied to something that you couldn’t separate it from the original feeling?” he asked, finally looking up to meet Jungkook’s eyes.

                He shook his head with a confused frown. “I don’t think so.”

                “I do,” he stated with a breathy sigh. “There’s a reason I don’t like to take new trainees. A reason I don’t have many friends. Just ask the Coven,” he laughed, another bitter sound as he gestured towards the walls and what lay beyond them.

                “Yoongi,” the new vampire murmured, confused and lost at his explanation.

                “Because when I do…” Yoongi trailed off, hands moving in front of him like he was trying to find the right words, “they become a part of my nightmare.” His tone was ersely light even as his face pulled into a taught grimace.

                “A nightmare?” Jungkook questioned, just to be sure. His face reflected his uncertainty of the seriousness of their situation.

                “Yes,” Yoongi answered firmly, knowing he didn’t understand what it was like; how real it felt.

                “A nightmare made you run away,” he clarified with a frown, still looking like it was a hard thing to believe.

                Yoongi shifted uncomfortably. There it was. As a former human, he simply wouldn’t be able to understand. “Yes,” he answered again, though with far less certainty.

                Jungkook wrestled with that answer, crossing his arms over his chest and chewing on the inside of his lip before relaxing again. “Couldn’t you just tell me that?”

                Yes and no. Yoongi fidgeted again. “It’s hard to explain,” he grumbled, looking down and making a disgruntled face. At least without saying everything about why he was having the nightmare and he wasn’t ready to bring that to light. Not to himself and certainly not to Jungkook. On one level, he knew that the more he felt about someone, whether he admitted it or not, the stronger the nightmare could become. The fact that this last one had been so real scared him for several reasons…

                “Then at least try!” Jungkook demanded with a wave of his hand in Yoongi’s direction.

                “Loss is different for vampires,” Yoongi struggled not to snap back, hands motioning in front of him frantically. “Humans expect it. People die in a hundred years or less. It’s part of what they are. Vampires… don’t,” he practically spat, pacing just a couple steps in either direction. “Not usually,” he explained with a twisted feeling in his stomach. “Not like humans. At a hundred years old, I was still considered a child and my parents were killed in front of me. How does that compare to the lifespan of a human?!” he demanded, angry at himself and confused.

                “I don’t know, Yoongi. I don’t,” Jungkook grumbled as he threw both hands up to either side. “But I also don’t understand why that would make you desert me in one of the single most important moments of my life!” he spat, angry and hurt.

                The retort cut just enough. “I watched you die, alright!” he scowled, hands clenched into fists as he turned away. He heard Jungkook’s sharp inhale but missed the way his anger faded as quickly as it had come. He hadn’t meant to tell him that part. Not yet. But he had… Closing his eyes and bowing his head, he explained, “I can’t tell what’s real in the nightmare until later. I should be able to by now,” he added with a bitter laugh as he shook his head. “But I watched you die, just like my father did in my memory.” His voice was barely a whisper and yet he knew Jungkook heard him. As a vampire, it was near impossible he didn’t. He was fortunate Yejin had wiped the ‘how’ of the memory once again, else he knew it would be all he would see in that moment. As it was, he still saw brimstone eyes glowing in his mind.

                Jungkook’s inhale was all too loud in Yoongi’s ears. “So because you’re close to me, you had a nightmare that I might die?”

                Yoongi shook his head and sighed. “Not might. Did die. It happened before and I don’t want it to happen again.” Not like his first mentee. ‘Not with you,’ was the unspoken part of the sentence. A part of him wanted to say it out loud, but another needed to protect himself.

                “I still don’t understand why you ran away though,” Jungkook admitted as he drew just a little bit closer.

                It was almost like he could tell it was more than just the nightmare. He would be right too, but Yoongi wasn’t ready to divulge that part of him just yet. “Fear makes you do stupid things sometimes,” he reasoned, trying to laugh it off with little success.

                “But-”

                Still too raw from the complicated emotions of the nightmare’s fallout, Yoongi couldn’t do it. “Look. I know I ed up and I just came to say I’m sorry,” he explained in a rush, trying to keep Jungkook from saying anything else while he kept his eyes glued to the floor. “I’m sorry you’ve got a failure for a mentor but we’ll start training later today,” he added, taking another step back as he was aware the new vampire tried to follow him. “I’ll see you later,” he rambled before literally retreating again. The closed door opened easily as he slipped out with Jungkook’s startled yelp following him. He couldn’t go to his room because he knew the other vampire would be able to find him too easily. But it was likely he wouldn’t go to the Coven Leader’s just yet so Yoongi fled there. At least Namjoon’s verbal barbs were predictable.

                As soon as he entered the elder vampire’s office, he froze when he heard, “That well, aye?”

                “Shut it,” he grumbled, deflating at his cowardice as he leaned against the door with his palm pressed to his forehead.

                “Whole story or only half?” Namjoon wondered, circling around his desk to pause in front of the shorter vampire.

                “Half,” Yoongi added with a groan, forcing himself to look up to meet Namjoon’s eyes..

                “You know it’s not a bad thing to let someone in,” he prompted, poking one finger against Yoongi’s chest in a very specific spot.

                Yoongi flinched but brushed it away and shook his head. “You know that’s not it.”

                “It’s just as dangerous to push them away,” the elder vampire reminded him with a particularly cruel jab.

                Yoongi winced this time and closed his eyes, desperately trying to bury the memory of his first trainee as soon as it attempted to rise. ‘So what am I supposed to do?’ The question rose up but never made it past his lips. “So what did Jungsu tell you?” he asked as he forced a laugh and tried to turn the conversation.

                Surprisingly, Namjoon let him. “Nothing much about you. Still thinks you’re a whiny child,” he chuckled with an obvious grin.

                “Sounds about right,” Yoongi agreed, forcing a mirth he didn’t feel. His stomach dropped again with the Coven Leader’s next statement.

                “You had a tail tonight.” Never mind that it was the tail end of the evening and heading towards morning.

                Yoongi recalled Jungsu’s flicker of attention and his fake humor faded entirely. “What was it?”

                “He didn’t know,” Namjoon answered with honest surprise, the corners of his mouth pulling down slightly.

                Either it was something intentionally hidden or highly unusual… “Did we lose it in the shadow paths?” he asked, thoughts turning analytical.

                “He thinks so,” the elder vampire nodded. “But you’ll have to be careful for at least a little bit,” he cautioned, eyeing the Rank 3 for a long moment.

                “Training in the basement and the backyard?” Yoongi asked for confirmation, tugging at his shirt sleeve self-consciously.

                “Of course. No moonlighting for now. There will be time enough for that later,” he added, tapping his finger against his bottom lip.

                “Probably better that way anyhow,” he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck and worrying about how he was going to handle training his new trainee.

                Namjoon’s sigh made him look up with a curious gleam in his eye. “Has it ever occurred to you that this keeps happening because you’ve never faced it head on?” the Vampire Lord wondered, his gaze calculating as he gave Yoongi a once over.

                The immediate surge of frantic denial that rose up in him at the suggestion surprised Yoongi. He hadn’t thought he was so against it, personally. Afraid, yes. Almost panicked… not so much. He blinked quickly and looked down as he tried to push the emotion away. “Yes and no,” he admitted when it receded to a manageable level. Looking up, he realized Namjoon was still watching him with a sharp look in his eyes.

                “You might be surprised at what you find if you do,” he shrugged, letting his expression soften to the usual passive look he wore.

                A surprising pang of anger flashed through him, confusing Yoongi once more. Not for the first time, he wondered if Namjoon knew something about him he himself didn’t know. He could ask and the Vampire Lord might actually give him a straight answer. But did he want to hear it? It was an uncomfortable thought and he shook his head slightly as if to clear his thoughts. “It’s fine,” he denied, flexing his fingers and intentionally trying to calm himself down.

                “If you say so,” Namjoon shrugged, laughing lightly at the reassurance. “But you’ve still got a trainee to look after. So best prepare yourself, Yoongi,” he winked, wandering over to collapse into his chair behind his desk in order to start working on his computer. When Yoongi didn’t move immediately, he paused and leaned over to look at the younger vampire with a raised brow. “Well, go on then.”

                Grumbling under his breath and reluctant to leave, Yoongi made a face at Namjoon. “Fine,” he scowled, huffing not unlike a child before he turned and exited the office. Whatever peace he’d managed to cobble together was shattered instantly as he saw Jungkook down the hallway, obviously waiting for him. “Mother of shadows,” he cursed very quietly before forcing a neutral expression on his face.

                “Found me, did you?” Yoongi called in an obviously fake cheerful greeting.

                Jungkook pressed his lips together with a wary raised brow and nodded. “You weren’t in your room so…” he trailed off, gesturing at the door behind him.

                “I just needed to talk with him about me and your training is all,” Yoongi hedged, his sliding eyes a dead giveaway that he wasn’t being completely honest.

                For his part, Jungkook was of two minds. He was still smarting from being deserted, but it was tempered by the admission of Yoongi’s care for him. What kind of care that meant – mentor, friend, something more… he didn’t know but it didn’t help his personal feelings any. Which was why being left alone had hurt all the more. And while he wanted to ask a great many more questions now that they were both vampires, he knew it was not the best time. When that would be, he didn’t know, but it wasn’t now. That was for sure.

                “So,” Yoongi started, moving closer with a forced half-smile. “You ready to get started?”

                “Sure,” he murmured quietly, completely caught off guard when the other vampire slung an arm over his shoulder like Namjoon had earlier. Conflicted excitement at the close proximity warred with hurt confusion. Since he didn’t know how to feel, he just let himself be pulled along as Yoongi guided them towards the basement.

                “Your first lessons will be here on the Coven grounds,” Yoongi explained in an almost nonchalant tone. “Once you’ve got a handle on them, we’ll start heading into the city and the grounds beyond.”

They left the lights off as they entered the underground room, leaving Jungkook feeling disoriented. “What…?” he gasped when Yoongi slipped away in the darkness.

                “First lesson. Learning to see in the dark,” his mentor explained, voice shifting as his position changed.

                Despite their painfully awkward start, the first month went by in a blur. Now that he was officially a vampire, Yoongi made sure to run him through the basics of what being one meant. From seeing in the dark – with and without trying to catch him unawares, to activating his cloak, to calling his fangs and claws at will, to self-healing, to sensing presences, to identifying so many new and different smells… it was practically a full-time job. Learning to blend in with humans and avoiding notice among them like Yoongi did would come later.

                Eventually, Jungkook felt as if he hadn’t left the compound in weeks. He wasn’t that far from the truth either. His parents were of course curious about how he was handling being a new vampire and he’d listened to several voice messages from both of them. He’d received messages from Sandara and Liza asking how he was doing. Yugyeom had sent a couple too, checking up on him and asking if he wanted to hang out. But all his time was devoted to the Coven and Yoongi’s tutelage, which was another kind of challenge.

                He still hadn’t been able to define just what their relationship was. And Yoongi veered hard to strict professionalism or oblivious intimacy with equal abandon. One minute, he was nothing more than a firm mentor showing his mentee the ropes and the next he could be literally within centimeters of him, showing him something by guiding him personally and damn near breathing down his neck.

                Nor did he leave much room for asking personal questions. Vampire questions were fine all day every day. But ask him something about his past and he would clam up faster than a sprinting kelpie. And he was a master of avoidance when asking about the times he randomly disappeared on some task for Namjoon. And yet, when he invariably returned, it was almost like a game for him to see just how close he could get to Jungkook without the vampire realizing he was there.

                “I’m just testing you,” he would promise with a wink as he stepped back from where he’d been so close they were practically touching.

                And Magic help him when he was rewarded with a taste of Yoongi for a job well done. His choice was always wrist or neck. The former would have been easier, but Jungkook wanted a reaction so he chose neck and ached when he could feel the way he knew Yoongi was holding back instead of doing… something. Anything.

                Yoongi’s blood was still fresh on his tongue – a muted plethora of mixed tastes: shadow and fire and magic, when he leaned back to look him straight in the eyes. “Why are you treating me like this?” he asked, keeping his hands on the shorter vampire’s shoulder and side to make sure he couldn’t just step away to escape.

                “Like what?” Yoongi asked without missing a beat, though his body stiffened even if he was able to meet Jungkook’s gaze.

                “Like I’m just a trainee of yours,” Jungkook frowned, biting the corner of his lip in frustration.

                “But you are my trainee,” he responded with an easy shrug. “How else am I supposed to treat you?” he asked, shoulders shrugging almost dismissively.

                Jungkook frowned and his fingers tightened. “A month ago, you as good as said you cared about me,” he challenged the other vampire, daring him to say otherwise.

                “And I do,” Yoongi nodded too easily. His next words stalled any euphoria Jungkook might have felt. “I care about all of my mentees.”

                He grimaced and tried very hard not to get upset. “Sure, but you didn’t abandon all of your mentees before.” Yoongi’s flicker of surprise was almost unnoticeable. Almost. “I’m not stupid, Yoongi. And you might not talk about things but the other vampires in the Coven will,” he explained. Wonho was especially good for divulging rumors if he thought it would help Jungkook adjust better.

                Yoongi wrinkled his nose at that but didn’t say anything.

                “I’m not blind either,” he added, looking between the other vampire’s eyes. “I know you see me. I know you’re holding yourself back for some reason and you won’t tell me more of why and it makes it really hard for me to want to keep trying.”

                This time Yoongi was unable to hide the wince that followed and Jungkook knew he’d struck a nerve.

                “Aren’t you going to say anything?” he asked, wishing the other vampire would. Something!

                Yoongi gave him a small smile and grabbed his hands lightly. “You’ve been working hard lately and I know you’ve been missing your friends and family. You should take a day or two to relax,” he urged, patting Jungkook’s hands with reassuring fingers.

                Helpless frustration roiled in his chest. Jungkook wrestled with a very brief impulse to shove the other vampire away but he didn’t. “Ugh!” he scowled, yanking his hands back and glaring at Yoongi. “You insufferable !” he grumbled, unable to come up with a better insult in the moment. “Are you sure I don’t need an to see my friends?” he practically spat, his tongue sharper than usual.

                “I’m sure Wonho will be happy to keep you company if you think you need one,” Yoongi encouraged with an almost mocking bow.

                Jungkook’s face darkened and he grumbled, “Screw you,” before turning away and storming off.

                Yoongi’s mask slipped when the younger vampire turned away, revealing his hurt, and he placed a hand over his chest, patting lightly while he turned away himself. Oh, that stung. He hadn’t lied to Jungkook, but neither was he telling him anywhere close to the whole truth. He waited until he couldn’t feel the younger vampire’s energy in the Coven before he headed for Namjoon’s office. Jungsu was there, probably waiting for him.

                “Damn,” the aforementioned vampire blinked when Yoongi stepped inside. “Who kicked you around?”

                “Are you ready or not?” he grumbled instead of asking the question.

                Jungsu glanced at Namjoon who shrugged and nodded once. “Ready when you are,” he confirmed, taking a step closer to the younger vampire.

                “He’ll be gone for a day or two. Have Wonho keep an eye on him,” he spoke, the statement not really a request.

                Namjoon laughed under his breath and waved his hand dismissively. “He’s already tailing him.”

                “Thank you.”

                “Hopeless,” the Vampire Lord sighed with a shake of his head. Yoongi shot him an ineffective glare but didn’t say anything. “Go see Ailee first. She’s got some info to share about this mystery creature you’ve been investigating.”

                “We will,” Jungsu confirmed quickly, giving a small bow in understanding.

                “Yoongi,” Namjoon called with a sharp snap of his fingers.

                Yoongi jerked in mild surprise and shook himself once. “Right. I’m the bait and he’s the insurance,” he said, pointing at Jungsu.

                “More or less,” Jungsu agreed, an unusual -eyed grin on his face.

                “Happy hunting,” Namjoon encouraged as he waved them off.

                “Yes, sir,” the other two vampires answered in unison. Then Yoongi pulled his lighter out, sparked the flame, and both disappeared into the shadow paths.

 

(a/n: Good news! I've got some time to write in my transition phase. haha Here's to hoping I get a couple more updates out before I end up in Poland. ;) Thank you!)