Meeting the Parents

Keeping the Balance

                Familiar scenery passed by quickly in the windows of the bus. Most of it included trees and fields but every now and then, a building or group of animals in the distance broke the monotony. Sometimes a car going in the other direction did as well, but they were even rarer. Jungkook took a breath and frowned slightly as he turned to look at his companion again. Yoongi was, for all intents and purposes, sleeping in the seat beside him. It didn’t seem fair that the vampire would be able to rest so easily in a public transport vehicle. Not that there was much distraction to disturb him. The bus itself was almost empty except for them and two other humans. At least Jungkook was pretty sure they were humans. Who else would be going in this direction…?

                “I thought we’d at least take a faster way of traveling,” he grumbled under his breath, frowning at the three-hour long transit time of driving after the hour and a half boat ride to the larger continent of Euria. They were almost there, but he would have liked to have seen that disappearing act of Yoongi’s. It wasn’t like the vampire hadn’t recovered from his bout of starvation. He was quite back to his usual self. Especially after his visit with Ailee the other day. “Are you really sleeping?” he wondered, leaning closer to stare at Yoongi’s profile.

                His head was resting against his chest, bouncing gently to the movement of the bus. Bleach blonde hair mostly hid his eyes and ears so it was impossible to tell if he was actually resting or not. He did seem very relaxed though. Lax hands hung between his slightly spread legs, bouncing gently like his head when the bus hit a bump in the road. It was still unnerving to realize he wasn’t breathing, but with a vampire, that meant very little. On the other hand… how asleep was he though?

                Glancing around with a mischievous look, Jungkook his lips and leaned a bit closer. “Yoongi?” he whispered, waiting to see if he’d get any reaction. Nothing. Just silence and the sound of the bus motor running constantly. “Are you awake?” he asked, a little bit louder this time, but still low so that his voice wouldn’t carry to the two passengers near the front. When he got no response again, he laughed quietly and then raised his hand to extend his finger towards Yoongi’s bare cheek. His smile widened as it got closer and closer, but then he jumped with a squeak when a hand suddenly rose up to capture his wrist.

                “What are you doing?” Yoongi asked, lightly holding Jungkook captive as he gave him a side eyed look through his barely parted bangs.

                “Nothing,” he blinked in nervous surprise.

                “Liar,” the vampire snorted with a lazy smirk before he released Jungkook’s wrist.

                “Fine…” Jungkook grumbled, fidgeting in his seat. “I’m bored and you’re sleeping and we’re going to see my parents together. How are you so calm?” he demanded in a frantic rush.

                “This is just part of the process for me,” Yoongi admitted, shifting in his seat so that he could sink further into it, legs sliding out straight in front of him. “What are you so worried about?” he asked, giving him another side-eyed look.

                Jungkook wrinkled his nose and crossed his arms. “Small town reactions and family stories,” he grumbled, looking out the window resignedly.

                “I’m counting on the second one,” Yoongi snorted, not bothering to hide his amusement.

                “You…!” Jungkook scowled with a betrayed expression. “Ugh… You’re terrible.”

                “You know you can always beat them to the punch,” Yoongi winked, one hand gesturing as if giving permission to go first.

                For a moment, Jungkook turned speculative and then he nodded, having made up his mind. “Okay. But only if you tell me one first.”

                The vampire’s amusement faded, replaced by an unreadable, neutral expression instead. “Never mind. I’m tired,” he stated in a flat voice, closing his eyes and purposefully zoning out.

                “Yoongi…” Jungkook murmured, face crumpling slightly. ‘Stupid,’ he admonished himself silently after realizing what he’d suggested. He knew that Yoongi didn’t like talking about his family. He wouldn’t say why but after spending time around him for nearly six months now, it was a known sore spot. “Sorry,” he mumbled in awkward apology before turning to look out the window again. He wasn’t really worried about his own parents. They would likely tell embarrassing stories but Jungkook usually found them to be good memories in retrospect. He was probably more nervous about being home… in the town anyway. It wasn’t bad exactly, but he distinctly remembered feeling more and more out of place the older he got. And though he hadn’t been gone all that long, he doubted it would have gotten any better in the interim.

                Thirty minutes later, the bus finally pulled into the station of Jungkook’s hometown: Paroche. “Yoongi-” he started to say as he reached over to wake the vampire, but he flinched when he realized his companion was well aware they had arrived.

                “Let’s go,” Yoongi encouraged, grabbing Jungkook’s wrist and literally pulling him along so they could get off quickly.

The other two passengers remained seated and didn’t even seem to realize Jungkook and Yoongi were there. The driver did, in as much as he opened the door for them, but that was last of the recognition, making Jungkook feel nervous. Even when they started walking, though there were a noticeable number of people about, no one looked in their direction. At all… Jungkook glanced at Yoongi first but the vampire didn’t seem as if he was doing anything. With a frown, he looked back and scratched at his face while they walked.

                As he expected, the city hadn’t much changed at all. Some would consider the city quaint, most would say old-fashioned, and to someone like Jungkook, it came off as largely backwards a lot of the time, but he was being unkind in that. They just had a small world and when he’d moved to the city, Jungkook had begun to realize just how small it was. It was still weird that no one seemed to notice them though. Especially since he saw several familiar faces from high school… “Why aren’t they looking at us?” he finally asked softly, almost like he was afraid he’d break a spell.

                Yoongi blinked in mild surprise and turned his full attention on Jungkook then. “Did you want them to?”

                “Not really,” he admitted with a hesitant grimace. “But… this is strange.” His laugh was forced and uncomfortable. It felt a little too much like a scene in a horror movie or something.

                “Okay,” his companion shrugged. Nothing outwardly changed, but as soon as Yoongi started walking again, Jungkook began to notice a fair few double takes from the surrounding people. Familiar faces started to recognize him and regard Yoongi especially with wary suspicion.

                “That was your doing wasn’t it?” Jungkook asked in a quiet voice as he leaned closer to Yoongi.

                “Yep.” When Jungkook lingered close, Yoongi glanced over at him and then around at the observers. “Do you want me to do it again?” A laugh simmered just beneath the words.

                “Yes please,” Jungkook mumbled, feeling very much like he’d been dropped in a pot of slowly heating water. Eerily, as soon as he answered, he had the bizarre pleasure of watching recognition fade as confusion and uncertainty replaced it. The onlookers glanced around, apparently missing something but not knowing what, before they continued on as if nothing had changed. “Wow…” Jungkook whispered, looking around him in earnest appreciation and surprise. “This is… how you avoid being noticed by humans isn’t it?” he asked, turning to look at the vampire in awe.

                “Works for low level magical creatures too,” he confirmed with a slow nod. “Makes it easier to get around most of the time. And…” he added, gaze drifting to sight on someone else specifically. “It lets you know if there’s someone around you need to keep an eye on,” he laughed once, nodding towards the person he was referring to.

                “Mom?” Jungkook blinked in surprise when he turned to look. Almost like his word did break a spell, the middle-aged woman shifted to angle herself towards him, warm brown eyes focusing and a beatific smile lighting up her slightly wrinkled face. She did love to laugh after all. A loose brown braid hung over her shoulder, complimented by a couple brilliant strands of silver threaded throughout.

                She unfolded her jacket covered arms and jogged over to them, eyes sliding to the man beside him before settling on Jungkook again. “Welcome back, Kookie,” she greeted, reaching to hug him without hesitation.

                “Mom,” he grumbled with a shy smile and a mildly embarrassed glance at Yoongi. “What are you doing here?” he wondered, hugging her back with a growing smile, despite his brief hesitation.

                “I came to meet you and your friend,” she answered easily, stepping back to look up at him. Her head barely reached his chin now and she almost felt smaller than the last time he’d seen her. Keeping one hand on Jungkook’s arm, she stepped aside to get a better look at his guest and smiled politely in greeting. “You must be Yoongi.”

                “I am,” said vampire nodded in confirmation with a quiet smile gracing his lips. “And you must be Mrs. Jeon.”

                “Seonmi is fine,” she assured him with a thoughtful look on her face. “I imagine you’re a fair bit older than I am after all.”

                “Mom!” Jungkook cringed with an uncertain glance at Yoongi.

                “Probably,” the vampire chuckled in amusement. “It’s nice to meet you, Seonmi,” he offered, extending his hand in a polite greeting.

                “And you,” she reciprocated, taking his hand in her smaller one and shaking once. “How was the trip?” she asked, looking away from the vampire and turning her attention back to Jungkook, using one hand to brush his hair out of his face in a motherly gesture. “I was starting to worry since you said you’d be here about an hour ago.”

                “Yeah…” he grimaced and shrugged apologetically. “The boat took longer to get going and then we had to catch a different bus. Sorry.”

                Seonmi waved off the apology quickly. “It’s not a problem. You’re here now and that’s what matters. Your father will be very happy to see you too,” she assured him. “Come on. Let me give you guys a ride,” she encouraged, taking a step away and gesturing towards the parking lot in front of the grocery store. “Rather. Wait here. I’ll come pick you up. It’s cold today,” she laughed, rubbing her hands together quickly before she jogged off towards a small dark blue car.

                “No wonder you left,” Yoongi commented when Jungkook’s mother was a fair distance away. At Jungkook’s curious glance, he added, “Magic in your blood and sensitive. Barring family, I can’t imagine that this place was particularly comfortable for you.”

                “Hey!” Jungkook objected, giving the vampire an annoyed looked. “It wasn’t that bad.” Yoongi merely shrugged and gestured at his mother’s car as she pulled up for them to get in. Nor was he lying about that part, but even he couldn’t deny things certainly felt… less appealing here now that he was older. The memories hadn’t aged as well as he might have liked, not even a year out. Then again, the memories of home were still as warm as ever.

                Their house was cozy, similar to many of the others in Paroche. It had a small front yard with a fenced in backyard from when they used to have a dog. In addition, it was just large enough for a family of three plus the odd guest, not that the last part mattered. They weren’t staying the night anyway. Jungkook figured that would just be all sorts of awkward… Especially since he wasn’t sure how his dad was going to react to Yoongi anyway. Speaking of his father, the older man was inside working on trying to clean and make sure everything was more presentable for when they arrived.

                “Honey!” his mom called as she closed the door behind her, startling him out of his busy work.

                Wordlessly, he looked up and offered a small smile in Jungkook’s direction. The reflection of the light on his glasses made his eyes hard to see but it was obvious he was at least a little happy to see him. “Hey dad,” Jungkook waved, glancing at his mother before shuffling further into the house.

                “Welcome home,” his father greeted, drawing near as well. Awkwardly, they stopped about a meter from each other and fidgeted, not sure if they should hug or shake hands.

                “Well go on,” Seonmi laughed once, nudging Jungkook as she walked by. “I’m going to start on dinner. You must be hungry,” she encouraged, stopping long enough to steal a quick kiss on the cheek from her husband before ducking into the kitchen.

                “It’s good to see you,” Mr. Jeon nodded, taking a hesitant step closer, gaze darting to the front door before settling on his son again.

                “You too,” Jungkook answered, finally closing the distance to steal a hug of his own. It was short and a little stiff, but sincere all the same.

                Stepping back and holding Jungkook at arm’s length, Mr. Jeon looked him over quickly and then shifted his attention to the unmoving guest at the entrance. “This must be your friend.”

                “Yes,” Jungkook agreed, slipping free to rush back so he could pull Yoongi forward, much to the vampire’s dry amusement. “This is Yoongi. He’s my-”

                “Vampire.”

                “-mentor.”

                The two shared another awkward moment before Yoongi laughed once and into the picture. “Both,” he assured the older man with an extended hand, much like he had for Jungkook’s mother.

                Unlike the exchange with his mother, Jungkook was amusedly awkward about seeing his father attempting to give Yoongi what looked like a firm handshake. Coming from a human, it was probably pretty pitiful, and he struggled not to snort when his father actually seemed a little disappointed in the sheer lack of reaction.

                “It’s nice to meet you,” Yoongi smiled with veiled humor.

                “You too,” Mr. Jeon mumbled as he adjusted his glasses quickly and then brushed at the short edges of his dark brown hair.

                “Jungkook has told me a lot about you,” he added with just enough sincerity. “He thinks highly of both of you,” he continued, grinning and catching Jungkook’s embarrassed elbow aimed at his ribs.

                “Oh,” Mr. Jeon nodded, rubbing at the back of his neck and laughing once at seeing their exchange. “Well. We think Jungkook’s a pretty good kid too,” he conceded, gesturing at his son as he adjusted his shirt self-consciously.

                “That makes three of us then,” Yoongi promised, surprising both Jeons.

                Jungkook looked at him with a slightly narrowed expression. “Really?”

                Yoongi apparently ignored him as he sighted on something else. “Oh! Is this a family portrait?” he wondered, drawing Mr. Jeon’s attention to the picture on the wall as he moved closer.

                “Yes!” Mr. Jeon answered after a brief pause. “That was our Yule picture about… three years ago?” he explained cautiously, trying hard to remember the correct date.

                Jungkook listened to the ensuing conversation but his attention was on Yoongi. He didn’t know if the vampire was only putting on an act or if what he’d said had been true. He was definitely laying it on thick for his parents and it was working, but… had he meant any of it? The vampire wasn’t paying him any attention and seemed to be animatedly listening to his father pointing out other pictures and the stories that went with them. It only got worse when his mother came out after getting most of everything started because she knew where the photo albums were. And unlike his father, she was far more eloquent in telling family stories to go with them.

                She only got a couple in before she had to finish up dinner but then she brought it into the living room instead of the kitchen so they could continue in comfort. Yoongi deferred on food but waited attentively so that they could continue their stories. Jungkook didn’t know whether to be more fascinated or mortified. It wasn’t that the stories were particularly embarrassing – everyone’s high school pictures were sheer cringe anyway – but his parents seemed enraptured with giving as much information as they could. It almost felt like they were under a spell and he looked at Yoongi suspiciously. Was he commanding them somehow?

                “Oh! Here are the All Hallows Eve pictures!” Seonmi grinned, finger tracing over the images with loving delight.

                Uh oh… That section. Jungkook hid a groan as he scooched a little closer to see.

                “Ever since he could pick his own costume, Kookie was always a magical creature,” she gushed, pointing out each year’s costume. “He made the cutest little archon when he was five,” she crooned, caressing the picture of her five-year-old son. Yoongi’s grin was pure delight and Jungkook was equally fascinated and embarrassed.

                “It seems like every year he wanted to try something different,” Mr. Jeon added on, pointing at a couple other pictures. “He was a werewolf, a vampire,” he explained, gesturing at Yoongi with a quick hand, “an elf. He even tried to be a Mage one year but most of the kids just thought he was playing a magician.”

                “Oh no,” Yoongi grimaced with a wrinkled nose before he glanced at Jungkook and gave him a quick wink.

                “I thought it was a good idea,” Jungkook grumbled, taking a final bite of his food and setting his plate aside.

                Seonmi heard the clink of metal on ceramic and looked up to check on her son. “Finished?” Jungkook nodded and took a satisfied breath. “Yoongi. Are you sure we can’t offer you anything?” she asked, turning her attention to the vampire who had, to her concern, not consumed anything since he’d arrived.

                “I’m fine, Mrs. Jeon,” he assured her with a sly glance at Jungkook. “Besides. If I absolutely need to eat, I’ll just ask Jungkook.”

                “Oh,” she blinked in surprise, clearly not expecting his bluntness.

                “Eh?” Mr. Jeon grunted when the comment clicked in his head.

                “Huh?!” Jungkook followed suit, sitting up on the couch abruptly. “Yoongi!” he hissed under his breath as he shot the vampire a confused look. ‘What are you doing?’ he mouthed in slight panic.

                “What?” Yoongi shrugged, taking in the three pairs of eyes looking at him calmly. “I am a vampire after all. And it’s not like he hasn’t offered before,” he continued, gesturing at their son.

                “Oh?” Seonmi hummed thoughtfully, the sound quickly drowned out by her husband.

                “What?!” he demanded, far more affected by the comment. “Not in this household!” he managed to bluster, standing up and pointing down at Yoongi with a stern finger.

                “Honey,” his wife soothed, grabbing at his arm and trying to pull him down beside her.

                “Dad…” Jungkook groaned, alternating between being further embarrassed by his father and annoyed or upset at Yoongi. He hadn’t decided which it was yet.

                “Maybe not,” Yoongi raised his hands in what had to be faux surrender. “But if Jungkook decides to turn, this will be a reality for him,” he explained, looking between his parents before he shifted his gaze to Jungkook intentionally. It was made worse by the fact that he shifted one hand to trace a fingernail down the side of his neck intentionally. Jungkook flushed and his ears felt hot at the reminder.

                “Honey,” Seonmi urged, tugging harder at her husband’s arm so that this time he did fall onto the couch beside her, much to his own consternation.

                “But…!” he grumbled, gesturing at the vampire with an erratic hand.

                “It’s not like he’s doing anything right now,” she reminded him with a placating pat on his thigh.

                “Looks like I poked the pixie’s nest,” Yoongi said with a half laugh and a partial shrug. “Jungkook. I’ll leave you to explain,” he winked, leaning over to pat Jungkook’s knee with his hand. “Let me know when it’s settled.”

                “Yoongi!” Jungkook yelped, reaching for the vampire before he stood up and practically disappeared in front of him. It felt like a curtain had been pulled in front of him and it left all three humans slightly disoriented. “,” he hissed under his breath before looking at his parents and forcing a smile he didn’t feel. He hadn’t seen Yoongi use the lighter so he was actually relatively sure the vampire was still here, but had resorted to his avoiding attention trick.

                “Where did he go?” his father asked in stunned confusion.

                “Honey. He’s a vampire and we’re normal humans. For all we know, he could be standing right there,” she explained in a reasonable tone while gesturing at a spot near the couch.

 

                Yoongi was impressed. Jungkook’s mother certainly had good instincts about magical creatures. Or perhaps it was magic in general but her approximation was not far off. Quietly, he stepped from her general direction and resumed watching the trio. It was obvious Jungkook was annoyed with him, if not worse, but this was just another important part of the process. Ironically, it was easier when relationships weren’t good since they could just skip this step, but Jungkook had always maintained he was on at least relatively good terms with his parents. This visit had more than proven that as true.

                Furthermore, it was quite endearing watching him talk them down. His mother less so. She seemed to have done some research about vampires at the very least. But it was also a good sign that his father was upset by Yoongi’s intentionally flippant comment. It meant he cared, even if he didn’t understand everything.

                And in observing the three, it also reminded Yoongi of a time when he was much younger. His family didn’t have stories like the Jeons did – certainly not the Hallows Eve costume ones anyway, but this moment… this felt familiar and warm. It conjured memories of the occasional fight at school and having to explain it to his parents. Of difficult lessons and frustrating training sessions. Of early relationships and the ups and downs that followed.

                It reminded him of… home.

                Yoongi his lips and rubbed at his gently aching chest. That was a double-edged sword of a memory and he took a breath before listening in once more. The hour was late and everyone was growing tired, but it looked like they were reaching an understanding of sorts. His father seemed like the wind had been taken from his sails but he wasn’t angry or depressed. Just… weary.

                “Dad. I may not be human anymore after I turn, but I’ll still be your son,” Jungkook promised, leaning over so he could rest his hand on top of his father’s.

                “Of course you will,” Seonmi smiled even as she brushed at the corner of her eye with one hand. “Always,” she added, placing her hand atop both of theirs and holding tight.

                “I guess you really have thought about this,” Mr. Jeon exhaled, reaching under his glasses to rub at the bridge of his nose.

                “Yes dad. You knew it was going to be a werewolf or a vampire years ago,” he snorted with a nod at the last Hallows Eve picture in the album.

                Yoongi leaned over so he could see and he grinned at the amalgamation of were and vampire Jungkook appeared to be. He was either trying to be half and half that year or a literal, and nonexistent, hybrid. “Foolish human,” he whispered quietly with a gentle smile.

                “I never really expected it to happen,” he snorted with a shake of his head.

                “Yeah well, I’m not there yet anyway so you’ve got a little more time,” Jungkook shrugged, though his tone was reassuring.

                “Exactly,” Seonmi smiled, patting both their hands understandingly before glancing around with slightly furrowed brows. “Well. Now that it looks like we’ve got things under control, it’s also getting late… Were you going to stay?” she wondered, hesitant but hopeful.

                “I… uh,” Jungkook trailed off, uncertain as he looked around in turn. “Yoongi?” he called, his voice soft and questioning.

                That was his cue. Yoongi stood up and returned to his spot near the couch from where he’d been earlier and spoke, “We weren’t planning on it.”

                All three jumped in surprise but Mr. Jeon gasped, “Green Man’s beard!”

                “I see you still recall the Old One of nature,” Yoongi grinned hearing the name.

                “It’s a common phrase here,” he grumbled, clearly disgruntled by the vampire’s sudden appearance.

                “I’ll be able to do that too later,” Jungkook whispered in an almost conspiratorial tone as he leaned closer to his mother.

                “Heavens help us,” she laughed, pulling a small smile from her husband in the process. “Vampires,” she added, turning a knowing gaze on Yoongi before she took another breath. He smiled back and waited for her to say whatever was on her mind. “You said you aren’t going to stay though?”

                “No,” he shook his head. “I will return tonight. But…” He paused to gesture at his companion. “If Jungkook would like to stay, that is his business.”

                “I…” the human trailed off, looking between his parents and Yoongi.

                “We would love to have you,” his mother reminded him, holding tight to her husband’s hand so that she wouldn’t reach for her son overbearingly.

                “Mom. I don’t have any clothes…” he trailed off with a guilty shrug.

                “You can wear mine,” his father offered. He was larger than Jungkook, but that didn’t mean his clothes wouldn’t be comfortable. “I’ve got an extra pair of pajamas that would fit you.”

                “Yoongi…” Jungkook whispered, looking at the vampire with a rather lost expression.

                It hit harder than he thought it would and Yoongi cleared his throat once before he spoke. “Stay then. Your parents obviously want you to and one night out won’t hurt you,” he promised, resting his hand on Jungkook’s shoulder reassuringly. He didn’t miss the hopeful smiles on his parents faces.

                “But what about tomorrow?” he wondered with a frown.

                “You know how to get back,” Yoongi laughed once. “But if it’s too slow, you can just call me.”

                Jungkook frowned and gave him a cross look. “Why didn’t do that today then?”

                “I’ll explain it tomorrow,” he teased with a wink. Jungkook opened his mouth to say something else but then Yoongi pat him on the head and reemphasized, “Tomorrow.” That made his companion close his mouth with a look as close to a pout as he’d allow himself. “Seonmi. Mr. Jeon. Thank you for your hospitality,” Yoongi murmured, turning to offer his hand to both. Jungkook’s mother accepted with no trouble and his father followed suit, albeit a bit later.

                “Yoongi,” Jungkook called quietly, his hands in his lap as he looked at the vampire.

                “See you tomorrow,” Yoongi reminded him, pausing to give a small wave before he reached into his pocket for his lighter. He saw Jungkook raise one hand to offer a small wave in return before he sparked a flame and fell into shadows. A fair bit later, he popped out in the street in front of the Coven. “Broken fangs…” he grumbled, realizing this wasn’t where he’d wanted to end up. “Eh,” he shrugged after a moment though when he conceded it wasn’t bad for a first try from such a distance and a new location.

                Striding inside, Sanghyuk was on duty and noticed him immediately. “Hey Yoongi. Back already?”

                “Yep,” he answered, heading for the stairs.

                “Where’s Jungkook?” the younger vampire asked, glancing around for the missing person.

                “He stayed home tonight.”

                “Home home?” Sanghyuk clarified with obvious surprise.

                “Yep.”

                “You okay?” he asked, following Yoongi’s progress as he fled up the stairs.

                “Yep,” was the same monosyllabic response.

                “Yoongi!”

                Yoongi ignored the sound of his name and retreated to his room quickly. The dark offered no solace. He was simply greeted with silence and the lingering ghosts of memories that had been bittersweet in shared company but which turned sour when alone. Back pressed against his door, he slid down to sit on the floor, drawing his knees close. With his elbows resting atop them, he cradled his head in his hands and willed himself to think of nothing. No parents, no memories, no mentees… nothing. It didn’t work half as well as he hoped, which meant it was going to be a long night.