Following Up

Keeping the Balance

                It was no easy thing letting anyone see a vampire at their literal weakest. Yoongi almost resented the tradition. Almost. It was this moment, after the demonstration, that he both loved and hated. More so the former but… it always meant getting close to someone again. Curled up on his bed, Jungkook looked so very peaceful in his slumber. His hands were tucked lightly against his chin and under his neck and he’d pulled his knees closer in a loose fetal position.

                Yoongi brushed the pads of his fingergtips against the spot on the young man’s neck where he’d bitten him. The marks were quite gone already but he could still taste the sweet nectar of his blood. He wouldn’t have minded another taste but instead, he closed his eyes and leaned close, almost touching Jungkook’s neck before he inhaled deeply through his nose. The scent lingered on the back of his tongue, giving him the hint of a taste. It was enough. He opened his eyes again and frowned at realizing just how close he was.

                Grumbling under his breath, he pushed away and watched the sleeper for a long moment. “What am I gonna do with you?” he whispered, hesitantly allowing himself to brush long dark bangs away to better see his sleeping profile. In that moment, he felt a familiar struggle within himself. Part of him very much wanted to linger and touch and get close to… to make some sort of connection with the human who wanted to be a vampire… to strengthen their tenuous bond. And yet, another part of him resisted. Doing so meant the possibility of pain, of disappointment, of loss… He didn’t want that but the struggle went on regardless, causing a dull pain in his chest.

                “Dammit,” he sighed, rubbing at his chest gently while he looked around for a calendar. It was early March but based on how long he’d been starving himself for… Ah. March 13th. He still had a few days left. It wouldn’t hurt to go early, but though he was not hungry anymore, he wasn’t really back to where he should be for that kind of appointment. He’d go later. After they both recovered. Glancing back down, he traced the backs of his fingers against Jungkook’s cheek before he caught himself. With a small gasp and a blink, he pulled his hand away, eyeing it like it was acting weird.

                Yoongi didn’t say anything else, but he did take one more look at Jungkook before he eased himself off the bed and silently exited the room. Namjoon would be waiting for him, if nothing else. True to form, the vampire lord was lounging peacefully in the den. None of the others were nearby and Namjoon cracked a smile when he noticed the quick glance to confirm. “I had Jungsu take them out for a run. They won’t be back any time too soon,” he promised, threading his fingers together behind his head as he waited for the other vampire to settle.

              “Ah,” Yoongi grunted with a nod. He hadn’t expected anything else really. He shrugged once and allowed himself to sink into the couch, lying out comfortably while Namjoon watched him from his cushioned seat.

             “How did he taste?” the vampire lord wondered, one brow rising archly in added inquiry.

              Yoongi shot him a glare with a frown and then looked up at the dark ceiling. It was an honest question. First tastes, much like first impressions, had lasting effects. “Good,” he finally admitted, still staring at the ceiling. He didn’t add that the taste had given him a vague sense of home… or at least comfort. Vampires didn’t really have comfort foods, but Jungkook tasted like one. At least a little bit and it made Yoongi awkward. “Fresh,” he snorted once, banishing the uncomfortable thought and earning a similar sound from the vampire lord. “But he definitely has some magic in his bloodline.” He’d mentioned his grandmother was an elf and there were probably others before her as well.

              “His mother’s side, though probably his father too if we looked back far enough,” Namjoon nodded in agreement, the weight of his gaze heavy on Yoongi. “You’re going to go meet them soon, aren’t you?” he prompted, sheer unabashed delight in his tone as he let a teasing note appear.

               “Yes,” Yoongi grumbled, wrinkling his nose at the question. It was part of the process though he didn’t much care for Namjoon’s attention. “But not until I get back to full strength. At least mostly.”

                “Of course. And certainly not until you go see Ailee,” the vampire lord reminded in a less teasing voice, all seriousness back.

                “Speaking of Yejin,” Yoongi commented, sidestepping the statement. “Any word on the chimera situation?”

                Now it was Namjoon’s turn to wrinkle his nose. “Yes and no,” he conceded with a nod. That caught Yoongi’s attention and made him sit up to better see the other vampire. “Ailee found traces of him being in another Mage’s store.”

                “Who?” Yoongi asked quickly.

                “Kim Ryeowook. The one in the Red District,” he answered immediately. “The Hunters went to investigate but they could find no proof of any illegal activity.” Yoongi scoffed at the idea. Of course they wouldn’t find anything… “Unfortunately, while you were out, there was a report of a vampire going missing in Wandermoot. As a courtesy, Ailee let me know when she got a heads up from Kyuhyun. For your sake if nothing else.”

                “That was considerate of her,” he responded with slightly narrowed eyes. Most Mages didn’t do things so helpful without the implication of being helped in return. She was more forthcoming than many, for him, but it still gave him cause to be at least a little nervous. “Do you think they’re connected?”

                Namjoon shrugged in a slow movement and sighed. “It’s certainly possible.”

                “What about that other hunter? The strong one you mentioned before I went down,” the younger vampire asked, raising one brow.

                “Oh. That one,” the vampire lord grinned, purposefully pointed fangs appearing with ease. “It’s Hakyeon,” he stated, threading his fingers behind his head and leaning back.

                “He came back?” Yoongi blinked in open surprise. He looked at his hand, fingers silently counting as he did some quick mental math. “Forty-seven years?” he wondered for clarification.

                “Forty-six but close enough.”

                Yoongi whistled appreciatively. “I thought he was done with Tradeborough.”

                “Well, he was, but it doesn’t hurt that the Alpha he was butting heads with is no longer here,” Namjoon shrugged.

                “We both know it wasn’t the Alpha that drove him off last time,” Yoongi snorted with a roll of his eyes.

                “No. The city did that, but a generation or so can change how things look. Plus, he rather fancies that new Hunter. What was his name…?” he wondered, frowning in thought as he snapped his fingers.

                “Taekwoon,” the younger vampire laughed once.

                “I take it he saw him on the news?” Yoongi wondered, mulling the possibilities over. That was how he’d first noticed him anyway.

                “Likely,” Namjoon confirmed with a small laugh. “Though who’s to say he hasn’t simply been keeping tabs this whole time?”

                “Fair enough,” the younger vampire conceded with a raised hand. “Admittedly, Taekwoon does seem to be the type someone like him would favor.”

                “Hakyeon,” the other vampire clarified with an amused smirk. “I don’t really think were-jaguars specifically have a type,” he admitted with a thoughtful frown. “Not that anyone would really know. When was the last time I saw one?” He paused to really think about it and laughed once in surprise. “Hakyeon. Go figure. I imagine Hyuna would know someone else but they are quite few and far between.” At the name, Yoongi looked over with a wary expression. “Speaking of the Crone, did you know she adopted an Anansi recently?”

                “From Tradeborough?” Yoongi blinked, caught off guard again. The city didn’t have any registered Anansi the last time he checked.

                “Apparently.”

                “How many does she have now?” he wondered in absent thought, adding belatedly, “I mean, not considering Byunghyun and Hyunseong. They don’t really count.”

                “As children? Not really. As her children, they do. But you knew that already,” Namjoon snorted with a crooked smirk.

                The younger vampire frowned but didn’t argue. The Baku and Cat person were mainstays lately, helpers as it were, and he’d remembered catching a glimpse of a grown elf and a young man and woman that might have been Mage-like… among others. He thought he’d been keeping pretty good tabs on her charges but apparently he hadn’t.

                “She would be very delighted to hear you actually care,” Namjoon teased gently after a brief pause.

                “Just answer the question,” Yoongi groaned, ignoring the other vampire’s attention.

                “I don’t know,” he responded in a surprising bit of transparency. “You know better than most, she doesn’t just tell people who she has and when they arrive or leave. The only reason I know about the Anansi is because Youngmin is a terrible gossip and Ailee has a soft for relaying information related to you.” Yoongi grumbled under his breath but didn’t say anything worthwhile as Namjoon continued. “Furthermore, the only reason I knew about you was because she literally dropped you on my doorstep and commanded me to take you in,” he reminded the other man with a finger shaking in his direction.

                Yoongi snorted at the memory. “First and last time I have ever seen you commanded by anyone.”

                “She still owes me for that, by the way,” he grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at his companion. “You do too, you ungrateful little ,” he added with a laugh as his discomfit faded. “Fully grown Rank 3 vampire and all you wanted to do was be lazy, act like a brat, and pretend I wasn’t your Coven Leader.”

                “Doesn’t sound like much has changed,” Yoongi grinned with obvious snark.

                “Ugh! What am I gonna do with you?” he scowled, throwing his hands up in feigned disgust.

                Yoongi looked down at the question and shrugged. The same thing he always would. Treat him like the other vampires and try to make sure he didn’t become a total drag in the vampire community. Suddenly uncomfortable with the topic at hand, he scratched at his face and looked back at the vampire lord. “So, Yejin this week. In a couple days,” he reassured when Namjoon gave him a side eyed look. “And then Jungkook’s parents next week?”

                “Are you asking or telling me?” the other vampire wondered for clarification.

                “Telling,” Yoongi grumbled after a slight hesitation. As a Rank 3, he really didn’t need to ask about such things.

                “Good,” Namjoon grinned, standing up quickly and tilting his head to the side as if listening. “Considering Jungsu appears to have been circling for a bit waiting for us to be finished,” he laughed once, completely at ease.

                It was that which made Yoongi frown curiously. Well, that and the fact that he hadn’t felt Jungsu’s presence which meant the other vampire was intentionally hiding himself or that Namjoon was actively waiting for him. He watched his coven leader with narrowed eyes for a moment longer and then snorted. “You had them go check on something, didn’t you?”

                “Maybe I did and maybe I didn’t,” Namjoon winked, completely opaque in his response. “Go on you. Attend your human for the time being.”

                Yoongi waved the suggestion off dismissively. “It’ll take him a while to wake up any-”

                “Yoongi.”

                The tone brooked no argument and Yoongi suddenly felt like a chastised child again. “Fine,” he grumbled, shoving himself off the couch and practically stalking towards the door. Namjoon didn’t say anything more as he passed. Nor did he see Jungsu or Wonho or Sanghyuk as he made his way upstairs. This time, he did feel a twinge of resentment as he settled down in the chair across from the bed that held the sleeping Jungkook. It was his usual reluctance, if the response he’d had with his previous mentee was any indication, but that never made it any easier.

                Unsettled. That would be how he would have described what he was feeling. Almost like he was of two minds about the whole situation. Absently, he patted his bone as he mulled over what had happened and what he would need to do soon. The chimera was missing and so was another vampire in Wandermoot. The Mage in the Red District was very likely to be the one responsible for making the chimera but he was also equally obviously good at covering his tracks. The Crone had gained a new charge and he didn’t know who else she had or didn’t have. Hakyeon had returned, which was always a crap shoot. And… he needed to go see Yejin soon as well as meet Jungkook’s parents.

                Ironically… it was the last one that made him the most… antsy. Leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees, Yoongi narrowed his eyes at Jungkook’s sleeping form. “Will you still stay?” he whispered softly, nails digging into his palms when he balled his hands into fists. “If I turn you, will you stay?” He grimaced as pain flared in his palms. Opening his hands, red beads greeted him where his nails had broken the skin. “If you get hurt because of me, will you stay?” he wondered, the sound of his voice barely a whisper.

                With deliberate slowness, Yoongi closed his fingers over his palms, covering the already healing wounds. When he opened them again and wiped at the red, the skin was unbroken once more. Taking a breath and leaning back, he grumbled irritably and crossed his arms, resigning himself to wait for his newest charge to wake up.

 

 

                Mornings were always busy affairs in Sanctuary and Hyuna smiled as her children filed into the kitchen dining room for breakfast. Not surprisingly, a tired Byunghyun was last but he also had Chan pulling him along, his hold on the Baku’s wrist light but determined. “Thank you, Chan,” she grinned, ruffling his hair fondly before he could duck away. Her smile widened as she pointed, “Have a seat over there with Wonshik and Hyosung.”

                “O-okay,” he stammered as he hesitated for a second and then lurched forward when Wonshik stood up to snag his wrist and pull him over.

                “Guess you’re more of a normie like us,” he winked, settling the younger man between him and Joshua who scooted over on the bench to make more space.

                “Normie my fangs,” Hyuna snorted, reaching over just far enough to swat at him ineffectively, the attempt for show more than anything. “You only look human in your resting form.”

                Wonshik took no offense and simply reached out to start making a plate for Chan as soon as he had settled. “Here you go,” he smiled, pushing the dish laden with a hefty portion of pancakes (doused in syrup and butter), eggs, bacon, and fresh fruit towards him.

               “Eat up,” Hyuna encouraged, looking at Hyosung, Jennie, and Seungkwan as well. “A balanced breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” she reminded them, stating the obvious for Chan’s sake. “Byunghyun,” she called, pushing a clear looking drink towards him. Essence of Dreams was very expensive and hard to come by but she had her sources.

                “Thanks,” he nodded sleepily, taking the glass and sipping on it slowly.

                “Hyunseung. Minzy,” she called, manifesting two plates of lightly cooked meats from the warmer behind her. “Enjoy,” she smiled, caressing Minzy’s cheek with the backs of her fingers before she shifted her attention. Her Anansi and Cat person were largely carnivorous so they primarily ate meat dishes. Not surprisingly, her elf was mostly vegetarian and her fairy did better with a diet similar to his, though with a shot of essence.

                “Mingyu,” she smiled, handing him a plate of imitation eggs and stir-fried vegetables. “Jisoo,” she called, handing off a smoothie of fruits and vegetables with a shot of Essence of Magic. That was even harder to come by but well worth the price paid.

                “So much food,” Chan whispered as he stared at the table full of various plates of delicacies.

                “You’ll need it for your lessons,” Jennie explained simply, munching on a piece of bacon with happy contentment.

                “Lessons?” he wondered aloud, brows furrowing at the mention.

                “You didn’t think we weren’t going to teach you the basics at least, did you?” Hyunseong teased, carefully chewing with his mouth closed. His breakfast was a little on the rare side and it could be disconcerting to newcomers.

                “What basics?” he wondered in complete confusion.

                “You’ll see,” Seungkwan promised, glancing at Minzy to his left before nodding reassuringly at the newest member of their group.

                “We’ll start around 9,” Hyuna explained, looking at the clock on the wall. They still had about an hour and a half. “Mingyu. You’ve got that errand in the Green District today,” she prompted, pointing at him with a sharp fingernail before reaching down to take a sip of her own dark red breakfast drink. “Jisoo. Your tutor will be a little late today. Something came up but she’ll be here around 10, okay?” she questioned, making eye contact with the young fairy.

                “Okay, momma,” she smiled, taking another large sip of her smoothie. Her feet barely touched the floor and she swung them energetically when she ate. It was quite endearing.

                “Hyosung. We’ve got one on one training this afternoon,” she reminded, giving the young woman a reassuring smile over her cup as she tensed up uncertainly.

                “Yes, mother,” she nodded in nervous acceptance. A gentle nudge from Jennie on her left made her smile.

                “Minzy. Make your rounds again today, okay? I’ll check your webbing later to see how you’re progressing,” she promised, pointing at the Anansi once with a gentle smile and then turning her attention to the group at large. She didn’t miss the reassuring hand Seungkwan placed on Minzy’s shoulder and it made her struggle to hide her smile. “Alright. Eat as much as you want, but when you’re finished, put up the rest of the food and do the dishes.”

                “Yes, mother!” a chorus of answers rose to meet her. She nodded at Hyunseong’s curious look and brushed his arm reassuringly as she walked by.

                The noise of their growing conversations as she departed faded the closer she got to the front door. With a wave, she eased the ward she had in place and stepped outside, gently closing it behind her. Moving her eyes only to survey the area, she exhaled in quiet frustration as she noticed the nymph was back. Hyuna clasped her hands together in front of her and walked in the direction of her persistent visitor. “Hana,” she called, surprising the nymph when she was almost directly beside her.

                “Hyuna!” she yelped, literally jumping in place. “I didn’t see you there.”

                “I know,” Hyuna smiled with a low chuckle. “The better question is why am I seeing you here again?” she wondered, freeing one hand to lightly hold her chin between her thumb and forefinger.

                Hana grimaced and brushed at her blonde hair nervously. She her lips before she answered in a quick rush, “I know you said I should stay away and I wanted to but recently, especially since yesterday, it’s just felt so nice here. Like… something was missing but now it’s whole.”

                Hyuna winced at the explanation, even as it filled her with joy and understanding. “I know. But it’s dangerous,” she reminded the nymph, pointing at her with a sharp fingernail. “I didn’t want to do this, but…”

                “Do what?” Hana asked, blinking with wide, uncertain eyes.

                “Leave, Hana,” Hyuna commanded, her eyes dark and her voice powerful as she stood straight and strong. “Forget what you felt here and don’t come back until I say you can.”

                Hana froze as the words sank into her. She stopped breathing for a couple heartbeats and then blinked slowly as breath resumed flowing in and out of her lungs. The nymph swallowed once and nodded. “Of course.” For a moment, she seemed very confused. “What am I doing here? I don’t know,” she commented, brow furrowed as she looked at the ground. “I’m going home,” she announced suddenly, looking up to meet Hyuna’s gaze once more.

                Hyuna simply nodded at her and gave one small wave before she watched the nymph wander off. When she was far enough away, Hyuna exhaled and shook her head in frustration. “Stop coming here, Hana. It’s not safe for you or my children.” Flexing her hands, she made a quick pass around the perimeter, stopping at six spots around the orphanage. When she returned to the front, she frowned and tapped at her bottom lip with a fingernail. “Fanging nature creatures,” she cursed with a frustrated groan. They were always much more sensitive to the magics around her home. Maybe she would have to ask Yejin for help with that… But not today. The children came first and there was much to be done before the day was over.