Lucky Enough

Keeping the Balance

(a/n: 8/1/20 - I know I said I probably wouldn't do this, but for those who were here when I first started posting, I realized after getting going that I was trying to begin the story in a very awkward place. I was struggling to make the story flow and you might have been able to feel that the first time. I apologize for the very rough start and hope that this time (fingers crossed) there should be no further hiccups with actually progressing. I do feel better about this one and have been having more luck writing behind the scenes. I haven't posted anything yet since I was trying to make sure it would stick. So far so good. Without any further ado, allow me to reintroduce you to Keeping the Balance. Thank you for being patient with me and I hope you enjoy!)

 


                Time seemed to slow down and stop as Yoongi looked down in pained confusion at the sword jutting from his chest. It burned more than he thought it should. He blinked once and his eyes drifted up to meet Jungkook’s shocked and frightened expression.

                “Yoongi…” he whispered with wide eyes.

                “Kookie,” Yoongi murmured, reaching one hand towards him. But he gasped when the blade came free and his knees buckled. His sight turned sideways as he collapsed, head hitting the floor hard.

                “No!” he heard, the anguished cry sinking into him as everything started to turn hazy in his vision. He could still see Jungkook but it was like he was seeing him through a veil of smoke. His strength started to fade, seeping from him as if someone was pulling at a thread, unraveling him stitch by stitch.

                “Jungkook,” he rasped, the sound pitiful as it passed his heavy lips. The veil of smoke seemed to grow thicker and it was harder to see the other vampire. “Don’t go,” he whispered, one hand weakly reaching for him. It was just so hard to move though…

                ‘I wanted to help you.’ The thought swirled in his mind, suddenly trapped behind unmoving lips. ‘I’m sorry I couldn’t.’ Jungkook’s form vanished behind smoke as it turned dark like shadows. ‘No,’ he denied, feeling his eyes grow heavy. Why did it have to end like this? Where did everything go so wrong?

 

                “You’re one of them aren’t you?”

                Yoongi took a breath and stared at the dark colored liquid gently swirling in his glass. Without looking up at the new speaker, he snorted once and asked back, “One of what?” His tone had more bite than he needed, but it wasn’t a question he wanted to deal with right now. Not to mention it was a confirmation question only. He’d made no effort to hide his fangs, claws, pale skin or the dark, thick nature of his drink of choice.

                Slightly taken aback, the newcomer was slow to answer. He hummed under his breath, hovering hesitantly at the edge of the table now. “A vampire, I mean,” he clarified quietly, the sound of his words nearly lost over the music of the bar. He was fortunate Yoongi had particularly good hearing, like most magical creatures.

                Interest piqued since the human had actually stayed and answered, Yoongi glanced up and blinked once. Young. He seemed almost a baby, but chances were good that was genetics and the air of awkward uncertainty that always made people come off as childish. The bouncer would never let an underage human in here after all. “Yes,” he answered, keeping his unblinking gaze on the young man to see what he would do.

                With the weight of the vampire’s full attention, the human got very flustered very quickly. It didn’t help that Yoongi hadn’t asked him what he wanted. “Um,” he sounded off, brows twitching in mild panic as he didn’t know where to start. “Good,” he forced a laugh, the bright, relieved smile nearly making Yoongi’s mouth move in response. “I thought so but wanted to make sure,” he explained quickly, hands doing as much talking as his lips.

                “Uh huh,” Yoongi nodded once, acknowledging the stream of words, but again giving no other encouragement. He blinked slowly and took a sip of his drink, watching the human’s eyes focus on the liquid with a slight intake of breath. It was almost gone but there was more than enough left for him to see what it probably was.

                “Is that…?” he started to ask, trailing off when Yoongi raised one brow. “Right,” he blurted, ears burning red. “Would you like another one? I was gonna-” he asked suddenly, gesturing towards the bar and nearly smacking another guest in the face. “Whoa!” he yelped as the person moved out of the way too fast to be human. They gave him a questionable look and he cringed. “Sorry,” he waved his hand, biting his bottom lip in embarrassment.

                Yoongi glanced at the human-guised satyr and let the creature feel the weight of his gaze. Almost belatedly, he noticed the vampire and flinched, nodding once in acknowledgment. With a subtle gesture of his fingers, Yoongi waved the man off and returned his attention to the human. A small spark of pity had flared up and he was starting to be a bit curious about him. “Yes,” he called out, grabbing the young man’s attention.

                The human turned with wide eyes, surprise or lingering embarrassment, and then squinted in confusion. “Huh?”

                “To the drink,” Yoongi explained as he nudged the glass cup across the table. He pushed it harder than he needed to but kept his gaze on the newcomer to see how he’d react. As expected, he yelped and practically pounced on the glass so that it wouldn’t fall off the table. Decent reflexes. No squeamish reaction either, when a tiny bit of the dredges splashed up and stained his bare hand.

                “Okay,” he gasped with wide eyes, both hands clinging to the rescued cup.

                It was clear he was still quite out of sorts and probably in over his head. Yoongi was definitely becoming more intrigued. “Good catch,” he praised quietly with a small nod towards the bar.

                “Thanks,” the human mumbled with the flash of an uncertain smile. He turned to do as he’d offered and stopped immediately, back to Yoongi. His head dipped down to look at the glass in his hands and then partially turned as if to look back, but he didn’t.

                Yoongi could practically see the wheels in his head turning. He hadn’t asked the vampire what he was drinking but he didn’t know if he should turn around and ask or just go with it. Yoongi leaned forward and rested his fingers lightly against his lips as he waited to see what the human would decide. Huh. Going with it. Okay. A slight smile pulled at the corners of his mouth as he took the opportunity to get a better look at the young man when he walked to the bar counter.

                Still young but probably a bit older than the first glance had offered. Not a bad sense of style either. A little heavy on dark colors but he caught a glimpse of a white shirt under the dark blue coat. He obviously took care of himself too. Chestnut brown hair shone nicely under the overhead lighting and his complexion was clear. Not to mention he had a nice figure, even mostly hidden under the coat. It was possible he was a bit of a gym rat. He took care of his teeth too – his smile came easy. Not bad at striking up a conversation with the bartender either. Fairies weren’t tough to talk to in general, but he did seem to have a natural sort of charm there. Well, when he wasn’t trying to talk to Yoongi anyway. His mouth quirked to the side in an almost smile at the thought but then froze as he made one final observation. He was decently tall… Not in an absurd way, but it was noticeable since the bartender wasn’t short either.

                “Hmm,” he hummed, leaning back in his seat as he waited for him to return. He started to cross his arms but then stopped. That would be a bit intimidating. It was already fun to fluster the human but he’d kind of like to know what he wanted. Definitively anyway.

                His face was full of hope and the residual energy of being around a fairy in a good mood when he made his way back. “Sorry for the wait,” he apologized immediately, setting down the glass and sliding it carefully across the table. He had another in his hand, some sort of mixed drink by the look of it, but he didn’t drink and he didn’t sit yet. It was apparent he was waiting for an invitation.

                “Thanks,” Yoongi offered, accepting the glass and taking a quick sip. He got it right. Good for him. He raised a brow in pleased acknowledgement and gestured at the seat across from him.

                Another bright smile lit the human’s face up and he sat down with eager attention. “I forgot to ask what you wanted but the bartender said you’re a regular and that your last drink was a Dirty O Positive so…” he explained, hand gesturing to match the sound. When Yoongi didn’t immediately respond, he forced another nervous laugh and took a quick sip of his own drink, taking a breath before looking at the vampire. It seemed as if he was waiting again.

                “Who are you?” Yoongi chuckled in curious amusement, eyes smiling over the hand hiding his mouth.

                “Jeon Jungkook,” he answered with a confident grin. It was like he’d memorized this part as he rattled off a quick spiel. “Twenty four year old human who has just recently moved to Tradeborough. Currently looking for work and friends,” he added almost flippantly with a gesture and a glance away, “but since I’ve practically always been interested in magical creatures, my mother suggested I try hitting up the mixed bars. Her grandmother was an elf so yeah.”

                Yoongi snorted quietly and asked, “What about your father?”

                Jungkook winced and wrinkled his nose. “He’s not bad but he’s not as keen on magical creatures as my mom is. Human through and through,” he shrugged before taking another sip.

                “And you?” Yoongi prompted, spinning his glass between his thumb and middle finger as he leveled a knowing look at the young man.

                Ice clinked as he took a larger drink than intended and nearly choked. Embarrassed again, Jungkook’s cheeks dusted pink and he coughed behind his hand, glancing up. He swallowed hard and sat up straight at last though. “I’m… interested in joining your coven,” he answered with a hesitant cringe. “Maybe,” he added quickly before taking another drink.

                Instantly on guard, Yoongi’s eyes narrowed and he stilled as he asked, “How did you know I was in the coven here?” There were other vampires in the city. Quite a few usually, but most of them were visitors. Anyone that stayed in the city for the long term either had to have a contract with the city or be inducted into the official coven.

                “I checked the online registry for vampire members and saw your name. I didn’t know it was you when I first asked you,” he explained with a wave of both hands, “but the bartender said your name is Yoongi and I recognized it from the list. I never thought you’d be the first vampire I saw when I came here,” he admitted with a nervous laugh.

                Yoongi couldn’t hear his heartbeat – there was too much noise in the background, but he could see the pulse in the vein on his neck. It was beating a bit faster than usual. His mouth twisted to the side and he sighed. “You spoke to Namjoon didn’t you?” Jungkook froze and blinked like a deer in headlights. “Of course,” Yoongi exhaled with a roll of his eyes. “Meddling jackass,” he grumbled, leaning back in his seat and taking another drink before setting the glass down with a harsh clink.

                The human shrugged but seemed to deflate just a bit as he held the glass between his hands. “He wouldn’t take me on but suggested… I try finding one of the other Rank 3 or higher vampires in the coven. I have been looking for a few days,” he offered as if it was some kind of concession.

                “Ugh…” Yoongi pinched the bridge of his nose between his clawed fingers before he took a breath and sat up straight. “Let me guess. Namjoon gave you a couple places to check out when he sent you off.”

                “He… might have listed one or two,” Jungkook nodded with a slow smile.

                “Which means he was ignoring Jungsu as a possibility,” he grumbled, mouth twisting in irritation as he looked away. Fair, since he was already training a mentee, but still… Dark eyes swung back after a moment and stared at Jungkook intently. “Why do you want to be a vampire anyway?”

                Jungkook chewed on his bottom lip and shrugged minutely. “I wasn’t lucky enough to be born as a magical creature, and the only way to become one otherwise is… to become a vampire. Or a maybe a werewolf. But between the two…” he explained with a shrug.

                “Huh.” That was mostly true. Outside of vampires – and werewolves if you were genetically lucky enough to have the gene that could be activated, no other natural magical creature could be made. He could become a modified human with a magical creature benefactor – provided he went into the right career choice, and there was the possibility of becoming a chimaera but… that was dangerous and highly illegal. So vampire it was. But… Yoongi was fascinated by his response. The fact that he would willingly choose to be a vampire over a werewolf did at least partly satisfy him. He personally thought they were better, after all. But what really caught his attention was, “Lucky enough?” He leaned forward, resting his elbow on the tabletop to hear the answer.

                “Well, yeah,” Jungkook responded with a nod. “I mean, every race has their own troubles, one way or the other, but it just seems like being a magical creature would be better. Longer life, less health problems, more abilities… what’s not to like?”

                Yoongi frowned just a bit and narrowed his eyes. “You do know what it means to be a vampire, right?”

                “Of course!” he answered immediately, sitting up straight again. “I’ve read up on all the strengths and weaknesses and how to become a vampire if you’re accepted and feeding and aging and-”

                He stopped when Yoongi held up a hand for silence. The vampire looked at him intently for a long moment, finishing his drink before he commented himself. “You are an interesting human.”

                “Is that a good thing?” he wondered with an uncertain facial expression.

                “Yes,” Yoongi admitted, linking his fingers under his chin and looking him up and down. “Most people that come asking to be a vampire are either running from something – death, illness, pain,” he illuminated, “or running towards something. Usually revenge or power. You…” he trailed off, blinking again and frowning in thought. “You think being born a magical creature is lucky.”

                “Isn’t it?” he asked in honest inquiry, face softening as he looked at the other man.

                “Some days I wonder,” the vampire scoffed with an amused eye roll.

                By his face, Jungkook didn’t seem to know how to follow that statement. He took another large drink, finishing it off for courage, and then asked, “So, would you be willing to consider taking me on then?”

                Yoongi laughed a dry snort and leaned back, scratching his thumb with his index fingernail. “I won’t say no,” he offered with a thoughtful look.

                “Really?!” Jungkook gasped in quick excitement.

                “Maybe,” the vampire cautioned, reaching into his pockets for two things: money to pay for his drink – and the kid’s, and his lighter. “We’ll see,” he smirked, placing the bill on the table. It drew Jungkook’s attention briefly and Yoongi chose that moment to spark his lighter. The sound made the human look up but the last thing Yoongi saw before he vanished into the shadows was Jungkook’s wide-eyed face and one hand raising as if to somehow stop him. It almost made him laugh. The humor faded quickly as he emerged in the coven itself. “Joonie…!” he called in irritation, stalking out of his room to try and find the Coven Leader. He frowned when he didn’t immediately feel the other vampire’s presence and made his way to the main hall.

                “Yoongi! When did you get back?” Wonho asked, jogging into the main hall from the first floor with a curious look on his face. His lavender colored hair bounced with each step and he brushed his short bangs back reflexively when he got close to the other vampire.

                “Just now,” Yoongi grumbled, scowling as he looked around the area once more. “Where’s Namjoon? And what are you doing here? Night watch is a Rank 1 task,” he added with some confusion.

                Wonho paused and scratched at his cheek with one blunt nail. “Namjoon’s… out,” he explained, gesturing towards the double front doors. “It’s night,” he added with a shrug, still a bit put off by the question.

                “I know,” Yoongi scowled, just frustrated. Of course the Vampire Lord would be out and about. He usually was during the evening. Meeting contacts or gathering information or just relaxing during the height of their strength… He rubbed the back of his neck and gave Wonho another side-eyed look, still waiting for the answer to his other question.

                He grimaced at the continued attention and curled his hands into loose fists, as if he was unsure how to answer. “Sanghyuk’s still under probation and our other Rank 1…” he trailed off with a careful shrug.

                Yoongi winced at the response and nodded, holding his hand up to stall any further explanation. “Right. Sorry,” he mumbled with dismissive wave and a shake of his head.

                “It’s just for a little while,” Wonho assured him, the placating smile obvious in his voice.

                “Yeah,” he grunted with a sigh, grimacing again. “I’ll be in my room if anything comes up,” he spoke quickly, glancing at the younger vampire once before looking away.

                “Okay,” Wonho said, probably waving at him as he walked away.

                Yoongi could have moved at a much faster pace, but he much preferred just to take his time. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and trudged back to his room on the second floor, thoughts tumbling together in his mind. The shutters were still down when he got inside and he threw himself on his fluffy bed with a vaunted leap. No coffins for them. Not for a long time. But it wasn’t like he was going to sleep anyway. His encounter with Jungkook and the exchange with Wonho had left too much on his mind. After all, he was the reason Wonho was watching the coven at night and not Yoongi’s most recent mentee.

                “Ugh…” he groaned, reaching over to turn the desk lamp on by feel. Light sprang to life and illuminated the cozy room. It was a literal collection of centuries, but nothing here remained of the last vampire he’d turned. Three months had already gone by since he’d requested a transfer to Ignis Falls. Only a Rank 1 and he’d wanted to leave the vampire that turned him already.

                With another groan, Yoongi scrubbed at his face with both hands. Honestly, a transfer was better than death, which was what had happened to his first mentee. Of course that was a few decades ago, but it still hurt, just like this one did. Oh, he knew it was because his newest vampire had met a lovely vampiress he’d fallen head over heels for and she lived in Ignis Falls but it didn’t keep him from thinking maybe it was something he did, or didn’t do, to drive his mentee away.

                And yes, he’d been moping away from the coven for most of the nights since then, which was why Wonho being on watch surprised him. But… now Namjoon had stepped in to send that new human on an adventure. “Jungkook…” he murmured, picturing the human in his mind once more. “Lucky, eh? I wonder what you’d say if you knew even half of it. Still…” he hummed in thought, brows furrowed as he turned the idea over in his mind again.

                “It’s not like saying yes means he’d automatically become a vampire,” he reasoned, one hand gesturing in the air beside him. “There’s still the trial period.” He tapped at his bottom lip and then to his side. “It’s possible once he sees everything about being a vampire, he’ll bow out and I can just go back to…” He stopped when he realized he didn’t actually know what he could go back to right now. “Being a vampire? Ugh! Damn you, Joonie!” he scowled, grabbing his pillow and hiding his head under it.

                He was just fine until the Coven Leader had sent that damn human out to him. Put him all out of whack. “Maybe he won’t even come looking,” he mused, peeking out from under the pillow cautiously. “It could happen,” he reasoned, sitting up with a nod. “Yeah,” the vampire grinned, reasonably content with that possibility. He reached back into his pocket for his lighter.

                The night was still young and there were plenty of other places he could enjoy himself in tonight. “And away I go,” he laughed once, clicking his lighter on and vanishing into shadow once more.