PART II

Hong Jisoo Versus Lee Seokmin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You know, I’ve always thought that everything that we encounter would pass someday. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going, they said. During our hormonal periods, things were difficult for us - on top of educational stress, there was emotional instability, lack of self-confidence, sudden bodily changes et cetera. However, once we pass that point in time and head into adulthood, those weren’t the things that bothered us anymore. A new set of difficulties set in, and the past struggles were just history. That’s how things in life should be, right?

 

Apparently, there are some things which have their permanence in life. They’re always there, set in stone. There’s no way to get rid of it from your surroundings, even if you tried. That’s what my best friend, Psychology PhD Graduate Chwe Eunsol told me. I never took that to heart, until it really hit me straight in the face.

 

Past that teenagehood, and into adulthood I go. The 24-year-old me is now facing the struggles of graduating from pharmacy school. As hardworking as I can go, the workload runs faster than my brain speed at times, and I seriously need a break.

 

“You seriously need a break,” Eunsol muttered, handing me a peppermint candy. Like I said, she graduated from Psychology PhD, so she could really read my mind.

 

“You look tired,” my best friend remarked as I tossed the candy into my mouth. Oh, sweetness.

 

“Well, if that bastard Professor Yoon Jeonghan would stop giving me work, I wouldn’t be like that.”

 

“Don’t worry. You’ll graduate soon,” she giggled. “Enough of talk. I’m off work in a minute, would you want to grab some coffee with me?”

 

“I don’t mind, if that’ll give me a reason to pass all the work to Seungkwan to do,” I groaned and lied down on her oak table. Then suddenly, I raised my head up, “Wait, Eunsol-ah.”

 

“Hmm?” the professor was busy typing on her computer, as if trying to damage her MacBook with her fingers (A/N: Like what I’m doing now lol).

 

“Didn’t you say Mingyu-sshi was coming?”

 

“Ah…” she stopped typing, biting her lips in thought, “Well, he could always just join us. He doesn’t mind.”

 

Just like that, I managed to get a half-day break from research. Not that I disliked research, but under the mercy of Professor Yoon and my useless partner Seungkwan, I couldn’t stand it any further.

 

That evening, I got myself a warm cup of Cappuccino with my weird, Espresso-loving friend while waiting for her fiance. We were ranting about the political situation and our discontentment with things in Seoul at the moment. Both of us first met at Yonsei’s main cafeteria four years ago, and our friendship instantly broke to a start. Although we had a 3 year gap, but we were still very close. If it weren’t for her, I think I wouldn’t have survived university.

 

“Yeah, I know right…” I nodded in agreement. At this instance, I see a familiar tall man coming into the cafe, “Oh, Mingyu-sshi! Here!”

 

Kim Mingyu was Chwe Eunsol’s lucky fiance. It was Mingyu who was lucky, because he met such an amazing girl like Eunsol. I wasn’t very sure how they met, but suddenly having a dinner with him one day was extremely out of the blue.

 

Behind Mingyu, however, was a black-haired male who tailed behind. He was also in the doctor’s coat like Mingyu’s (and Eunsol’s, and every other doctor’s), and he was slightly shorter than Eunsol’s tall boyfriend.

 

“Mingyu-yah!” Eunsol smiled and said in a sing-song tone. Mingyu came over and gave her a peck on her forehead before sitting down.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter