PART I

Hong Jisoo Versus Lee Seokmin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you thought that finding The One was easy, let's just snap out of that fantasy. In fact, it isn't easy at all; and worse if you've to choose between the two guys you've been growing up with for the past 20-odd years.

Since I was four, I have always played with Seokmin and Jisoo. Our mothers were best friends and neighbours, so they often met up at someone's house and we would play there. Naturally, we became best friends, and even created our clique name, YooMinSoo (Yoogyung, Seokmin, Jisoo).

Jisoo was a year older than me, and I always found him cool for being half-American. His father was American-Chinese, and he grew up in Los Angeles. Jisoo dreamed to be a musician, and thus could play the piano, guitar, and drums, and could sing and dance. He was basically a talent machine, which landed him a spot in a musical company. Jisoo was a rather quiet boy with a lot of thoughts in his mind, which helped him write his songs. He had faithfully followed the path of God, and was a boy who acted on his belief rather than impulse or emotions.

Seokmin was a complete opposite of Jisoo. He was the sportiest man alive I have ever met. Since he was young, he took up soccer, basketball, baseball, and many more. His father was a principal of an international Taekwondo school, hence he must have took up his father’s sports gene. Unlike Jisoo, Seokmin spoke loudly and did things “by instincts”. Although temperamental, he has his own share of patience and was very friendly.

 

Both of them, despite being completely different, had several things in common. It didn’t occur to me that they both had the same interest, until we were in our final years in high school.

 

It was just several months away from our college entrance exams, and we were all freaking out, trying to mug and memorise everything that we could. Jisoo didn’t need to worry about English, but the other two of us were trying hard to learn the words. Seokmin had it worse; he struggled to spell the word ‘convenient’, always forgetting a letter. However, Seokmin also had a knack for Mathematics, which Jisoo was weaker at. I was stronger than the boys in History and Literature because I liked stories, while the two of them disliked reading about “random men who have died years ago”.

 

On a certain day on February, it was a typical Saturday where we went out with our families. The 19-year-old us (20 for Jisoo) were being excluded from the adult talks as usual, but we spent the time playing with our phones. Seokmin was getting aggressive after getting under attack by Jisoo on Clash of Clans, and started to tap the screen furiously.

 

“Hey, hey. Your phone hasn’t sinned you, give it a break!” Jisoo exclaimed, eyes staring into the screen of his iPhone 6.

 

“Son of Jesus, don’t get too arrogant. I’ll destroy you!” Seokmin replied, tongue sticking out in concentration of the game.

 

“Geez, Seok, you should relax; it’s just a game,” I commented, taking a sip of my strawberry yoghurt drink while watching the taller of the boys play violently.

 

"Jesus didn't have a son. In Dan Brown's book, he had a daughter." Jisoo corrected Seokmin.

 

“Whatever, I don't care. What's important is that no one should ever beat Lee Seokmin in anything!” Seokmin replied, making Jisoo laugh.

 

“Well, you’ll see,” Jisoo muttered. I took no hint of what they were saying and continued to watch my dramas.

 

We spent that afternoon playing inside the cafe, and in the evening, the three mothers met again for barbeque. While I was busy helping my mother, I started to find it peculiar that I was constantly being helped by Jisoo a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter