The Last.

Fizzles and Nuzzles.

There was something final in the downpour of rain behind the window. And menacing.

Yoongi’s always learnt to find inspiration in all the common things around him. So he’s also found himself countless times just listening to rain and letting the rain drops bring up deeper thoughts, which he sometimes buried deep in himself again, sometimes rephrased, softened and used into lyrics of songs. He never was one to believe in omens and rain was rather calming element to him.

But today was different.

After weeks of tropical summer heats, monsoon season has finally hit Korea and the forecast expected it to last for another week at least. And the storms started in the morning of Yoongi’s surgery. He got used to watching summer from inside his air-conditioned hospital room, so waking up after weak two hours of dreamless sleep into grey skies and a consistent screen of water made him feel even more nervous. And his offspring-to-be was evidently feeling the same way since he kept kicking Yoongi’s ribs with all his strength since early morning today.

Yoongi hissed in pain after another jab and his stomach, shushing as to calm the baby. It worked, sometimes. He reached for his phone.

‘No new messages…’

Bangtan members organized their schedule so that they would be able to arrive in the hospital an hour before Yoongi was scheduled on the operating table – which was in 30 minutes.

“Where the heck are they…”

The last message in their chat room was from Taehyung: We’re departing, See you in 30, hyung :*…and that from an hour ago. He didn’t want to seem desperate by writing and inquiring text, but the truth was, that desperate was exactly how he was starting to feel. Nurses and doctors kept coming and going all day, either giving Yoongi some pre-surgery check-ups or introducing themselves as doctors from random departments, most of them who were interested of watching a birth they would probably see once in their lives. Yoongi could only find a little relief in that he would be undergoing Caesarian section, and so there would much less of his body that would be uncovered to the ‘audience’. He was also told, there would be a screen with live video calling with the specialist from the States.

‘Like I’m a circus animal… but at least I won’t remember much thanks to full body anesthesia…’

It’s been more than 15 minutes since he was transported to the room right next to the surgery room, restyled as a waiting room for his purposes. He was left here alone, only with his phone and instructions to shout out aloud would he needed anything. He wiped his sweaty hands into the hospital gown, he was forced to wear, and glanced out of the window again. He closed his eyes. His heartbeat was nowhere in normal range, so he tried to breathe in slowly and let the air out again, exactly as he was taught. It helped nothing. His hands started to shake.

‘Hobi… Damn, you guys should better make it on time this one time.’

Damn, he was so not ready to do this alone.

 

---

 

10 minutes later, and 20 before the surgery, there were still no new messages. It all got even worse when Yoongi couldn’t take the silence any longer and decided to call first Hoseok, then Namjoon and Jin to yell at them about time management, and promises, and everything. Not one answered the phone. It was weird, because they always replied instantly and they knew Yoongi would expect them to stay in touch through the whole day. So he tried calling the manager next time, but was redirected to voice mail instead.

Yoongi’s heartbeat couldn’t seem to calm. ‘’… this is not normal. At least one person should have replied by now. What if… If something’s happened’ He looked out of the window again and shook his head ‘no, they’re all right and you need to stop freaking out.’

But once the thought appeared in his head, it was impossible to shake off. He got goosebumps.

 

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door leading to a hospital’s corridor. Yoongi almost jumped in place and replied instantly, feeling his heart raise up to his throat.

“Come in!”

The door opened slowly and his brother walked over to his place on a wooden desk (hard surfaces were just so comfortable) and hugged Yoongi awkwardly, the huge pregnant belly in their way.

“Hey, lil’ bro. How are you feeling? Ready to pop?” He smiled a bit sadly, noting Yoongi’s sweaty forehead and even paler than usual form.

“Hello, Yoongi.” Greeted their father as he closed the door behind himself. “You don’t seem too happy to see us.”

 

Originally, the plan was, that Yoongi was to spend the last hour with Bangtan members and his father and brother were meant to wish him luck just before the procedure. Their entrance meant that there was little to none time before the impending surgery.

“I’m… hi.” Eloquent.

“I thought, your friends were meant to be with you before they’ll take you to the operating room?” his father frowned as if to show his discontent with their behavior. Yoongi ignored the hint and turned to his brother shakily. “I can’t get in touch with them… they should have been here already. They’re not answering calls.”

Joongki stopped trying to groom Yoongi’s hair with his hands and a frown appeared on his face, which reminded Yoongi so much of his own.

“There’s a lot of traffic jams around the city due to the weather. Do you know which route did they take?”

“Hm, Yeah. Sejin-hyung has always been taking us by the Seongsu Bridge. He says it’s the fastest way…”

Yoongi watched his father and brother exchange strange expressions. Joongki turned back to his younger brother and placed his hands on his knees, squeezing gently.

“You know, If they went—“

“Don’t, Joongi-yah.” Both brothers turned to their father. The elder frowned.

“What, why shouldn’t I tell him?”

“Yoongi is in a lot of stress as it is. There’s a lot of traffic jams, you said it. I’m sure that’s why his friends are running late.” The man sent his older son a meaningful look. Which would have worked better had the younger not seen it as well. Yoongi ignored the man.

“Hyung, could you finish the sentence?”

Joongki squeezed his knee again.

“You know… there’s been a huge accident on Seongsu Bridge, 50 cars or so crashed together, it’s all the radio news talked about on our way here. I mean, it doesn’t have to mean anything… just… they said it, will take hours to clean the road and because of the weather, they cannot even use medicopters to reach the place…”

With each word said, Yoongi could feel his insides shrugging and turning. And it had nothing to do with the baby inside this time. He clenched his fists to keep himself looking as calm as possible.

“And the casualties?”

Joongki swallowed and replied quietly. “Few. But a lot of injured—“

“That’s enough!” shouted their father. “Look at him, he was looking bad already, but he started turning grey now. You should read the situation a bit, Joongki! Those are details that could have waited.”

“He had the right to know! Don’t treat him like an invalid or a child, Yoongi’s an adult and thus--“ the older started but was interrupted by the pregnant man next to him. ‘He’s damn right, I have a right to know… But dad didn’t mean any bad. He’s trying to protect me, in his own awkward way…’

“Stop it, hyung. It’s fine. Thank you for telling me.”

 

The argument was cut off short, when the nurse entered their waiting room from inside the surgery room. Yoongi didn’t understand how the hell could she be smiling while he felt like either fainting or throwing up.

“Ah, hello, you must be Mr. Min’s family” she nodded in direction of Yoongi’s dad and brother, which moved to stand further from Yoongi now. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I hope, you managed to say your encouragements, because we are ready for Mr. Min now. I’ll leave the door open for you, Mr. Min, come in when you’re ready.”

Even before she left the room again, Yoongi was forced to lean back by the force of his brother’s sudden bear hug. It took him few seconds to realize the situation and he leant into the embrace. It felt familiar, and warm, and Yoongi let himself become calm again for few seconds.”

“You’re gonna do well, Yoongi, I know it’s gonna be alright.” Half-whispered Joongki next to his brother’s ear. “And when you wake up, you’re gonna meet your baby. Finally.” Joongki pulled away and Yoongi unconsciously leaned forward a bit to keep the hug longer.

“I can’t… I can’t meet the baby now, hyung…” he whispered. “I need… I need Hoseok to be there, too.” ‘I’ve promised.’ There might have been a single tear running down his face but he didn’t care.

“He’ll be there. It’s fine. He’s just a bit late.”

The three men moved to stand together and hugged lightly. Their dad ruffled Yoongi’s hair and pated his back in a man-to-man way.“You need to go in now. Good luck, Yoongi. I love you, son, and can’t wait to meet my grandchild.” He smiled encouragingly.

Yoongi managed to give a weak smile, probably to fool both the men and himself, and nodded in what he hoped looked decisive way. He reached for his phone.

“I’m not allowed to bring this in the room, but if they call… or anything… answer it, please.”

Joongki took the device. “Of course.”

 

“Then… see you in an hour?” Yoongi hoped they couldn’t see how much he fought the urge to vomit, though the empty stomach.

“Yea.” His dad smiled.

“Sure, bro.” Joongki laughed, trying to hide obvious nervousness.

Yoongi supported his belly with a hand and made a move to enter the surgery room.

 

---

 

There was much more noise than expected. The doctors were chattering with nurses and each other, and the volume even increased with Yoongi’s entrance as everyone greeted him at the same time. The atmosphere actually seemed much less grave than he imagined it would be before a surgery. And there were a lot of smiles thrown around and at him, but they didn’t quite reach him. Yoongi greeted all at once and quietly followed the instructions to lay down on the table in the middle of the room.

Dr. Son stood closest to Yoongi’s table and started presenting Yoongi’s file to all those that weren’t familiar with it. Yoongi barely recognized few of the faces, he was introduced to during the day, but it wasn’t like he actually cared about them, nor the reading of his file information. He could hear that some of the doctors raised questions, but Dr. Son seemed to know all the answers that they needed and Yoongi was glad he didn’t have to speak. His mind was a total mess at the moment. He shrugged off the nauseous feeling, but he was nowhere near relaxed.

The sickness turned into a fear.

So he’s going to have a baby… and Hoseok’s not gonna be there?... Then who’s gonna take care of it? What if Yoongi doesn’t make it? And… how could he even make it without Hoseok?

The doctors got quiet eventually, but Yoongi’s mind was still too noisy.

 

“..-gi. Yoongi?” Mr. Son touched Yoongi’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“I asked if it would be alright with you, if others doctors examined your… entrance. We can do it after the narcosis, if you’d mind, but the bodily reactions would be more natural in awake state.”

‘So I either let them now or they’re gonna do it while I’m sleeping, anyways. What a choice.’ Yoongi thought bitterly.

“Sure, it’s fine…”

Next his pants left his legs and somebody helped him spread them. The doctors started prodding and discussing again, and it would be quite irritating… if only Yoongi didn’t hear the unmistakable sound of his phone melody from behind the closed room. Somebody asked a nurse to go and tell his family to mute the sounds, but Yoongi couldn’t care about it. He reached for the nearest nurse.

“I’m sorry, but could you ask my family what is that call about. It’s very important.”

The nurse made a disapproving face at him. “I’m sorry, Mr. Min, but the surgery has officially started. We need not to be disturbed.”

That annoyed Yoongi. He gestured to the flock of people by the feet of his bed. “Sorry, but while they’re having fun, I’m about to freak out because my friends might have be injured somewhere in a traffic accident and I have no freaking clue! So please go ask for me, or I swear… I’m gonna freak out, or--” He was ready to continue, but the nurse probably decided it was not worth it and only clicked her tongue and left his side. She came back few seconds later. Yoongi could have sweared he didn’t take one breath during the time she was gone.

“Your friends are in the ambulance and on their way to the hospital, Mr. Min.”

 

Yoongi felt his heart drop.

“They… they’re injured?” he asked and it sounded weak and choked.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t have more information” her face changed from stone to compassion, though, and Yoongi couldn’t help but feel there was much more behind it than said.

He squeezed his eyes shut, and tried hard not to start crying. Not now.

‘ it, IT ALL. You have to be alright, ing have to! You’re not leaving me deal with this alone, not after all you’ve promised me. I need you all, I need you there with me… Damn, I can’t do this…’ he could feel a teardrop leave his eye.

 

 

 

It was another seconds, minutes, maybe hours and then there was Dr. Son, asking Yoongi if he could start the operation yet. And Yoongi couldn’t but agree, because he was empty. There was no use. Maybe… maybe he wouldn’t even wake from the narcosis. Who knew.

 

---

 

Warm.

Cosy.

And hurting.

Damn, why was he hurting again? Did he injure himself? His head was hurting so bad, he wouldn’t have been surprised if it splinted open.

And then…. Oh.

‘Oh.’

 

Yoongi tried opening his eyes, but they were just so heavy. So heavy. It took few tries to make them work and focus on the room he was in.

It wasn’t his hospital room. But it was hospital. ‘Intensive care?’ Yeah, probably, judging from the machines next to his bed and pipes connected to his arm. But there was more wrong… there was… there wasn’t. His belly. The baby!

He reached behind himself where he knew should be the emergency button, and pressed. Then he laid back again and closed his eyes, staying on the border of consciousness and unconsciousness.

 

It was Dr. Son who entered the room. He was smiling.

“Yoongi! How are you feeling?” He pressed the back of his hand against Yoongi’s forehead, and Yoongi didn’t like it all. He tried shrugging the hand off, but he barely moved. His body felt foreign.

“I’m… I’m… baby is… alright?”

Dr. Son smiled widely and nodded. “He’s a totally healthy baby. Congratulations.”

Yoongi’s eyes widened in what must have been comical. ‘”he… I have a… a boy.’

“And… and my f-friends?” Yoongi felt himself fading away, the voice wasn’t really his either.

“You’ll see them. But you have to sleep more first.”

‘No!’ he wanted to shout. ‘Tell me more. Send Hoseok in…’

But he was falling into blackness already.

 

---

 

Warm. And cosy. But there was no pain this time. That must have meant a good thing, right?

He tried moving his hand just to see if he could this time, but it didn’t work. But there was a sound. Something else has shifted on the bed, but it wasn’t his hand for sure.

Yoongi opened his eyes.

And met huge eyes of Jung Hoseok right on front of his face. He looked down to see his hand being grasped tightly in the younger rapper’s one. ‘So that’s why it wouldn’t move…’ He tried moving the other one and it worked just fine.

 

“Hyung…” The younger man’s voice was shaking. “How… How are you feeling?”

Yoongi wanted to make a sarcastic remark, but Hoseok’s face was just too close to his own. The expression was too genuine, worried and… dammit, Jung Hoseok was beautiful. His nose maybe a too bit and face overall a little long but he was still perfect. It would take less than a blink of an eye to close the distance between them and touch— to kiss--- …and the hell, why shouldn’t he?

It wasn’t a Min Yoongi thing to do. Min Yoongi has always thought too much. And come to the wrong conclusions. He didn’t act for himself, selfishly, because he didn’t deserve that. So how could it feel so right to be pressing his lips against his years-long friend’s?

 

 

 

It lasted only maybe a second before Hoseok was shown back by Yoongi violently. Was Hoseok dreaming? Must have been… Oh right, but the shoving part was very real. And the kiss… Hoseok’s lips trembled.

“er!” stated Yoongi.

Okay, so Hoseok did dream of the kiss.

Yoongi grabbed Hoseok by his T-shirt and pulled him closer. Was the hell was going on?

“er.” Whispered Yoongi again. “How the hell…. How the are you here just now? You were supposed to be here with me before I go in the room. You were supposed to hold my hand before, not now! And then…. Then… I hear about the accident on the bridge and that you’re being transported by the emergency car. And you… and then you weren’t going to come ever again. And now you ing sit here and-- and-- look like nothing at all has happened! Explain yourself now! NOW!”

Hoseok would had almost laughed at how cute Yoongi was, and about the misunderstanding, but when the older’s voice broke in the middle, he understood how emotionally drained must he feel. Yoongi wasn’t looking at him now. He was keeping his eyes shut and the tears were flowing freely amongst the silent sobs. Hell, it was Hoseok’s fault. He needed to apologize, he knew, but would words truly convey how he felt right now? How happy… and how sorry was he? One look at Yoongi and he wanted to hit himself.

 

He didn’t think about it a lot, it was natural when he leaned back into Yoongi’s personal space and pressed their foreheads together.

Yoongi opened his eyes but said nothing, so Hoseok reached up and wiped the rapper’s face with his hand. His heart was dancing in his chest.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I should have been there, so sorry. There was a traffic jam because of the accident. And then the mobile network fell, I don’t know if it was the accident or the storm. Just… I lied that my wife is having a baby and the driver of the ambulance took a pity on me. I came as fast as possible, but… I’m sorry.”

Yoongi let out a deep exhale.

“And the rest?”

“Just got here, but I didn’t go greet them yet. All are fine.”

Yoongi nodded and closed his eyes again. They stayed like that for another minute, before Yoongi broke the silence.

 

“So… a son?” the word sounded weird to him.

Hoseok nodded and parted their foreheads. Yoongi leaned forward on instinct but regained his balance again in a blink.

“Wanna meet him?” Hoseok whispered, his eyes not leaving Yoongi’s. There was… there was… so much affection that Yoongi’s heart started to ache from it. Was it always like that? How could has he not noticed?

“I’ve held him.” Continued Hoseok quietly. “they’ve asked me if I wanted to and I couldn’t refuse. I’m sorry if….”

The sentence stayed unfinished. Yoongi nodded slowly and bit his lip. It felt right that it was Hoseok that his son met as one of the first people in his short life.

“Do you…” Yoongi had to stop himself for a second “Do you think I can do it?” He was just so uncertain. He wanted to meet his son, but what if it is nothing like everyone said, what if he feel nothing for the baby he will see for the first time in his life?

Hoseok smiled and nodded. “You’ll do fine. I’ve told you and I will repeat as many times as you want me to. And I’ll do my best, as well.”

Yoongi nodded as well. “I think I’m ready.”

Hoseok smiled one last time and left the room, leaving a cold, grey place behind. Yoongi tried not to think about how shunshine-y the World looks with Jung Hoseok by his side.

 

---

 

A nurse came in first, wheeling an iron crib in front of her. Hoseok followed right behind.

 

She smiled at Yoongi. “Hello there, how did you sleep? Are you ready to meet your son?”

Yoongi wanted to reply that No, how does one even get ready to meet a parasite that’s been living inside them for months? Or at least wanted to ask Hoseok to hold his damn hand, but he made a do with simple nod instead.

The nurse showed him how to hold his arms and he followed awkwardly. Then she raised then small knot of clothes from its crib, shooed at them and placed them slowly in Yoongi’s readied arms.

 

There was face. The baby didn’t open its eyes yet, and it was all very… puffed, but it was indeed a baby. Living, Yoongi’s baby. He couldn’t help but look at the miracle with open eyes.

Eyes, nose, lips, small hands and fingers. He reached to touch one little hand and the baby made a move as if to grab his thumb. It opened its toothless mouth and made a quiet choked sound. Yoongi looked up, undamped emotion of fear on his face, and his eyes moved between the nurse and Hoseok few times quickly.

They both were smiling at him.

“Oh, maybe he’s a bit hungry. Want to try feeding him?” the nurse asked. Yoongi looked down at the baby again, his eyes still wide, but smiling a bit now as well. “I can teach you how to -feed or we can try with the bottle.”

‘-f---!’

Yoongi looked up in horror. “I’m not gonna -feed, no way.” The nurse looked surprised and Hoseok frowned. He obviously had a thing to say, but considering his good heath, decided to stay quiet. “Oh, well, we can start with the bottle then, let me get it. Will you boys be alright here alone for a while?”

“Of course” Hoseok answered and Yoongi nodded.

She left the room and Hoseok sat carefully on Yoongi’s bed.

They stayed quiet, watching the baby open and close its little mouth repeatedly.

 

“You know, milk is very good for babies. You might have not have much but you should at least try.”

“Goddamit, I’ve had baby, but he’s not on my anything, alright?” Yoongi answered but when he looked up, he noticed Hoseok was smiling and there was a playful spark in his eyes. Yoongi almost cursed himself for falling for the younger’s shenanigans.

“But really, we’ll talk about that later.” Whispered Hoseok, but Yoongi stayed calm this time.

Hoseok then reached to the baby and its hair.

“So soft” he whispered… lovingly. Yoongi was now silently cursing that both of his hands were busy holding the little baby and he couldn’t touch for himself. There would be a lot of time for that later. Hoseok and Yoongi then met eyes.

“You made a miracle. A beautiful miracle.” Hoseok whispered and before Yoongi could have reacted, the younger has closed the distance between them and they were… kissing.

Kissing for real this time. It wasn’t just a flutter, they both felt it deep inside their stomachs, and they reluctantly parted in what might have been tens of seconds, but felt like a year.

 

“I love you, hyung.” Whispered Hoseok from just a centimeter between their faces.

Yoongi smiled and the baby whined softly.

 

“Woojeong.” Yoongi whispered. “Woojeong, as in friendship.”

 

 

----------------------------------------------------

Aaaand It's DONE.

First off, I'm so terribly sorry about the delay. Bad, bad, lazy author! I actually managed to lose the last chapter about three times and I started writing it like XX times, but it just... it didn't work. But I didn't want to left this unfinished. It was killing me, that I knew how it's gonna end and you guys didn't :D
I have the story planned until like, pfff, years of Yoonseok lifeu ahead. If you try hard, you might get some answers from me. :D

There MIGHT be a sequel, but I don't want to promise anything. There's a lot of open questions throughout the story, so I'd like to give it some more proper end. Some day. Maybe ;D

Oh, and hope you noticed I tried to work in some angst in the end. It's a reaction to few comments from before... did it work? :D I'm happy on my Fluff Express, tbh, but, yeah...

Anyway, the most important thing... HUGE THANKS! to those who made until the end with me. WUW YOU! T>T You are LIFEU!
See you again one day!