XII.

Fizzles and Nuzzles.

“…Everything seems to be in the best order; baby is healthy, of the size it should be and relatively safe, considering.” Doctor Son handed Yoongi few paper wipes to clean his lower tummy from ultrasound gel. “Do you want the picture printed?”

“Yes, please.” Agreed Yoongi, crumpling the tissues and pulling his pajama’s top back to its place over his huge pregnancy belly. It took him only a second of hesitation to answer – Hoseok’s happy face in his mind was enough reason to give a positive answer. The younger idol was trying to be present at all the check-ups, his face always radiating excitement and corners turning up from affection when the child appeared on the monitor. Yoongi usually couldn’t stop himself from glancing over to the younger man’s bright expression rather than following the dancer’s gaze to the black-and-white picture and listening to doctor’s explanations. But still, Hoseok’s schedule didn’t allow him to be there on every scheduled examination, and getting the picture for him was the smallest thing Yoongi could do.

 

“Alright, I’ll send it by nurse later.” Answered the older man as the assisting nurse finished packing the portable ultrasound machine and started pushing it towards the exit. Yoongi sent a small ‘thank you’ her way, feeling ever thankful to the personnel, who needed to move the machine to his room every week.

“So,” the man brought Yoongi’s attention back to him “the only what’s left is to set a date for your C-Section now. There are two free slots in my schedule, which I would suggest to you. You’re in your 34th week now and it is safe for a child to be delivered from around 37th week, and I suggest to do so as soon as possible as we need to prevent a natural labor and contractions.” The man clicked open his laptop. “The dates are three or four weeks from today.”

Yoongi didn’t feel well at the mention of the surgery.

“Um… but I’ve been experiencing contractions lately and the nurses said it’s normal and not dangrerous…”

“Yes, but those aren’t real contractions; it’s called the Braxton Hicks contractions and it’s a way of your body trying to prepare you for the real ones. It’s sort of psychological thing. But since your body doesn’t allow a natural labor, going into contractions and the so called ‘water breaking’ is extremely dangerous for both you and the baby, and we need to prevent that. Also,” the man adjusted his glasses with his index finger “we need to inform Doctor Carver about the date of surgery. She agreed to be present through a skype call but she needs to take care of her schedule in advance.” The male pregnancy specialist.

Yoongi nodded slowly, his gaze focused on his hands. Three or four weeks… that was so early. So much earlier than he had expected.

 

“Alright… can I have time until the end of the week?” Yoongi saw the doctor giving him a dissatisfied look but chose to ignore it “I’ve promised my friends that the surgery would be on a date they are here, in Seoul, and I don’t know their schedule. That’s all, I’m not trying to postpone it.”

Doctor Son nodded, letting out a disgruntled sigh, but Yoongi knew it was mostly affectionate and smiled.

“Thank you.”

“I will stop by at Friday, so let’s create the appointment then.”

 

---

 

It was a weird day. It was all sunny and warm outside, birds singing for their mates and the wind carrying the sound of a city to his room, but Yoongi couldn’t care less about what was happening outside of his room. His mind was heavy with so many things to do in such a short time.

He had expected to break down, doing every of those little things he needed to finish before leaving the hospital and returning to his life - previous or new, but it was strangely alright.

Starting with the check-up in the morning, he realized just how much time he didn’t have and how many things he still needed to do to be able to remain at peace with himself. The birth was now something undeniable and pressing. He would be moving freely again in a month of time, leaving the hospital to live a real life and this weird chapter of his life would over.

Unless it wouldn’t be. Unless, there would be a person to remind of it his whole life. His baby…

Once he reached for his phone, an invisible barrier had fallen and he realized he could do this.

 

---

 

Around noon, he decided that he needed a break. He needed to make a break. So he turned off his phone and reached for his portable computer and settled it on his stomach, which served as a provisional table. Hoseok would be whining if he saw it, the electromagnetical waves, dangers and everything, but Yoongi was sure a little practice of how to live in a technological century couldn’t harm the unborn.

At times like these, Yoongi was thankful to Jungkook, who took his time to introduce Yoongi to computer games once he saw the older gave up on his books and textbooks. It was a nice idea to use the time he had wisely and improve his language and other skills, but League of Legends seemed to be a slightly better method how to kill time.

So Yoongi logged on and let out a sigh of relief. He cracked his fingers and gave the screen a challenging look. He was still a beginner, but not the worst player in game anymore.

He grabbed his mouse, but right then, a series of knocks resounded through the room.

 

‘You gotta be kidding me, not now, for ’s sake!’

 

He paused the game and shouted out for the intruders to come in. Only another series of knocks was the answer, which meant it weren’t either the hospital personnel or people from company. Yoongi had an idea, though, and he could feel his throat constrict at the realization.

“The key is in the nurse’s office!” he shouted.

 

There was a minute or more of silence before the door was unlocked and two men walked in. Yoongi gasped for air when he saw the younger visitor.

“Hyung?” he asked unbelievingly.

“Yoongi…” breathed out his brother and took few fast steps to engulf his little brother in a hug, but stopped a step away from the bed, considering his options and scanning over Yoongi’s not exactly covered form. Yoongi raised an eyebrow in a challenging gesture, but he was embraced by the slightly taller man the next second, letting out a choked “oomph”.

“I’ve missed you, dongsaeng.” Said Joongi, carefully releasing his brother from his arms.

“I didn’t know you came back from the States, hyung. He didn’t say, when we spoke in the morning.” Their looks turned to the third man in the room, who was still standing by the door, sending a shy smile. Yoongi had to fight an urge to roll eyes.

 

“Dad.” Yoongi greeted.

“Hey, Yoongi, you look good…” the man stepped closer to his sons. “I’m glad you called, I wasn’t sure how would you react if I was the one to make the call… it didn’t exactly work out the last time I tried to initiate something.”

“So if I didn’t call, you just wouldn’t contact me at all?” it wasn’t really a question, but a poisonous remark.

Yoongi watched the man furrow his brows and stressed expression appear on his face, and Yoongi spoke just in time to make the man remain quiet longer. “Hey, it’s fine. I get it… Or I’m trying to. I didn’t call to argue anyways.”

Yoongi turned his look to see his brother’s hand making its way to the pregnancy tummy and cleared his throat. Joongi retracted the hand back immediately, giving Yoongi a sheepish smile. Yoongi was used to being touched and cuddled by now, but it was different with his older brother – the man taught him about dating, sports, basically everything, and getting pregnant at 22 felt as showing Joongi that he hadn’t taken his teachings to heart and failed him somehow.

Not like the smile on his brother’s face spoke of disappointment.

Joongi cleared his throat. “I came back three days ago. Dad told me about what was going on with you, so I scheduled my holiday and came to stay in Korea and take care of you.” He smiled. Normally, Yoongi would protest and argue with his brother, but his words reminded Yoongi of the reason why had he decided to contact his father in the morning in first place, so he decided to ignore his brother’s strangely bright mood for now and confront the situation.

“So, what you said during the phone call…” interrupted their father, letting the sentence open for Yoongi to repeat it in front of his brother, as well.

“Yeah. I’m gonna give birth in a month and I have a house and stuff, but the doctors said the post-natal syndrome or whatever can be a real— bother, so I was considering coming to dad’s apartment for some time…” Yoongi cleared his throat to hide his embarrassment. He didn’t really want to come to the man’s place but on the other hand, he didn’t have any other place to go.

Yoongi could only wonder about his personality being a hundred percent different from his father’s as he watched the older man’s face light up and he rushed to his youngest’s bed. Yoongi wedged himself deeper in the bed.

“Of course, I can take care of you. I have a free room and your brother can stay on the sofa-“ the older son grumbled but nodded “--I mean… I mean, I’m so happy, Yoongi. I’ve told you that you’re always welcome to my house, for as long as you wish to. We can move your things from your place, too, and prepare what the baby needs… or not that… or just your… things?….” The man’s smile disappeared as he looked for any response in his son’s face.

Yoongi was keeping a straight face. “Yeah. Thanks for that. And you can take the baby stuff, too. It would needed to be moved in any case.”

The man nodded slowly, returning to his shy smile.

Joongi kept watching the exchange, the confusion on his face becoming more evident with every word.

“Wait…” the men turned to him “what do you mean by that? What’s with the baby? Oh my God---“

“Hey, hyung, the baby is alright.” Yoongi reached to put his hand on his brother’s, who was sitting on the bed. “It’s just that I’m considering adoption, that’s all.”

Joongi’s eyes went even wider. He opened his mouth as to shout or speak and let the emotions flow, the other men ready for an outburst as well. But he surprised them by closing it again and giving a serious look. He might have been the older sibling, but it was him who got a double portion of emotions - for both of the brothers, as he liked to joke.

“You don’t want it?” he simply asked.

Yoongi opened his mouth and closed it again. What was he to say? It wasn’t about what he wanted, at least not from the biggest part. He didn’t have a clear answer to this.

“I’m not such a bastard to give them a life they would have with me…” he answered and his gaze shied away. Everybody in the room could see there was more to it.

Do you NOT want it?” shouted Joongi, but his face stayed calm and serious. Their dad seemed to be wondering whether to try and calm his son, but gave up in the end. ‘Of course he would’

“I… I… maybe?”

“Maybe what?”

“Maybe… Maybe. Alright? I want them to have everything, but I can’t give them a loving family. I want them to be protected and happy, but that’s the last thing they would have with me. Everyone keeps telling ‘you’re gonna be alright, you can make it work’ but how can they ing know that I can do it only because I should be able to? Does being pregnant make me a perfect parent or what? I don’t want to let them down. I don’t want to lose the baby or Hoseok or anybody, but I just ing DON’T. KNOW.”

The room went quiet as Yoongi was trying to catch breath and the men were processing the words and giving Yoongi time to calm down.

When Yoongi looked up he was surprised to see Joongi smiling.

“You said it.” He stated. “You said you wanted to keep them. I didn’t need to take optional psychology classes for this, geez” he rolled his eyes and Yoongi kept only staring at his brother, words not coming to him.

Joongi moved to stand next to the bed’s head where Yoongi was seated and crouched next to it. He reached his hand and let it fall on his little brother’s shoulder.

“You want the baby. I recognized that look – you were always giving it to me when we had money for only two scoops of ice cream and I asked you if you wanted the second one. You would never ask for it, but I knew and always kept it unfinished for you to have.” The man smiled and Yoongi was staring at him incredulously. Was he really comparing baby to ice cream?

“Well, so you’re having the baby, or… I will take it, how about it?”

Yoongi and their dad gasped. Joongi looked at one, then another, mischievous look on his face.

“What? I got my MA. I can take care of a child?”

Yoongi wasn’t sure how far was that all a joke, but the oldest in the room was first to burst into laughter, surprising both his sons. “You should see your face, Yoongi!” he laughed. “It’s all written there.”

It was embarrassing and Yoongi didn’t see a reason his father should be laughing at him, but when Joongi joined the commotion, he couldn’t help it and smiled as well.

“That’s-- that’s not how adoption works, you know?” deadpanned Yoongi, when the laughter died out.

“And I hope to never know. Pretty sure you’re already better parent than me and we didn’t even start.” And there was something in his brother's eyes that made Yoongi believe.

 

---

 

It was late at night probably, Yoongi wouldn’t know because he was sleeping quite heavily for once. His day was extremely tiring, but he couldn’t be more satisfied with its, and his own progress. Sleep was his reward.

He snarled from sleep as the bed dipped down, his body moving to uncomfortable position together with the movement. He shivered at sudden blow of cold, but it was only momentarily. In the next second, a comfortable warmth pressed itself on his side, and softness covered Yoongi’s body again. He sighed lightly, approving of the comfort of his new position.

“Hyung?”

Yoongi blinked.

“Hyung, are you asleep?”

And opened his eyes.

It was dark, was he could recognize Hoseok’s eyes staring into his from mere centimeters. Or was it the stars?

 

“No, thanks to you.”

Hoseok whined in faked pain and threw arm around Yoongi, snuggling against the older male. His nose was buried somewhere in Yoongi’s shoulder. “Sorry”.

There was it again. The feeling of being choked, Yoongi’s body was acting as if its temperature was getting into feverish heights. Why was this always happening when Hoseok came over? The physical pain? Maybe, Yoongi knew the answer to this. But there was no way in hell he was accepting that. Yet.

“Ow oof yoo ey?” came from the younger. Yoongi couldn’t help but chuckle.

“What?”

Hoseok’s head rised and their eyes met again. “I was asking, how was your day?”

“Oh, yeah… it was… chaotic? There’s a new ultrasound picture on the drawer.” Yoongi was glad it was dark and Hoseok couldn’t see the probable blush on his cheeks. He admitted, he was doing this to see the younger’s reaction but that fact didn’t make it any less embarrassing.

“Yea? Lemme see!” Hoseok shifted to get up, but Yoongi pressed his back down lightly. “In the morning. Let’s sleep now.”

Hoseok whined again and Yoongi had to hold himself back from reaching and patting the male’s fluffy head. They stayed quiet afterwards.

 

“My dad and brother came today.” Yoongi whispered. He could feel Hoseok’s movement again and he was sure that the younger would be tense and staring at him. He could let him pretend that it wasn’t the case by not opening eyes.

“Yeah? How was that? Wasn’t your brother in the US?”

“He came back for few months, don’t ask me about his job or school, I don’t think he cares. And it was… fine?”

“Fine?”

“Yeah, surprisingly fine.” Yoongi himself was surprised by how true that was. The one visit he feared for months had ironically brought him so much peace.

“…Fine is good.” Mumbled Hoseok and his hand was drawing patterns on Yoongi’s upper stomach.

Yoongi chuckled again at the lack of reaction from the younger. His energy was probably depleted from the day’s schedule, trainings and pretenses to be happy and worriless.

 

“…and I spoke to him.” Whispered Yoongi in one breath. He hoped Hoseok has already fallen asleep but that wasn’t the case.

“…your dad?” was the muffled question.

“No… the one I slept with.”

Hoseok’s hands stopped in its tracks. He shifted now and Yoongi could feel his eyes on him, but didn’t dare to meet them.

“…How?”

“I had help from Sejin-hyung, actually. I called him this morning and asked him to explain how things are to the guy’s manager. I didn’t think he would really trusted me if I contacted him right away, and Sejin-hyung agreed with me. So he called him. And I got a call just after dad and hyung left.”

Yoongi spared a look at Hoseok. Even in the dark, he could recognize how tense the younger was, his lips in thin line and face serious.

“…And?”

“And… we talked. It was short and really awkward. He asked me if everything he heard from his manager was true, I confirmed it, and he asked why do I tell him now. I mean, he’s right, it’s a legit question. So I answered that I needed to close this one question and that is him. And then… well, he asked what’s going to happen, so I told I want nothing from him. Just, understanding? And he took a while to agree… he’s a nice guy, he felt real bad about the whole situation. His voice was shaking a lot. But he didn’t blame me.”

“And the baby?”

“I had to almost bully him to make him say his thoughts aloud, but, yeah, he doesn’t really want to raise them or anything. But he’s probably still gonna try and force some aliments of kind on me.” Yoongi chuckled nervously, only now turning to watch the younger’s reaction. He couldn’t see his face clearly, though.

“I’m so proud of you, hyung…” Yoongi swore in is head, Hoseok’s voice clearly betrayed tears. He sniffled to prove that. “I thought—I thought, I would have to force you into contacting the guy one day, or find out who he is and do it for yourself, or I don’t know. I didn’t really think you could do it.” Hoseok’s hands were searching for Yoongi’s under their shared blanket frantically, and Yoongi offered it to him, letting him squeeze it tightly.

“But he would only force you the money if the kid stayed in your care, right?“ asked Hoseok, sounding slightly confused.

“I guess, yeah…”

“...”

“…”

“Like, there would be your name on the birth certificate and baby at your home and… that kind of care.”

“Right.”

 

Yoongi couldn’t say for how they actually stayed quiet, but it felt like centuries.

Hoseok let out a high-pitched squeal at which Yoongi actually jumped in place a little, and it took another moment to realize the dancer was acutally sobbing messily. Then there was a body mass around Yoongi’s neck and he was yanked into to lying position, the other’s hair tickling his face as Hoseok held him tight and wept into his shoulder. Yoongi’s hands naturally wrapped themselves around the brunette’s torso. He started to ‘shhh’ him, keeping his own emotion in check just with difficulty.

“Hyuuuung.”

“Yeah.”

“Yo-yo-you’re ha-having a ba-baby?” Hoseok unstucked himself from Yoongi’s shoulder and grabbed Yoongi’s cheeks with shaking hands.

“Um, yeah?”

“We-we are ha-having b-baby?” asked Hoseok, staring right into Yoongi’s eyes with his wet ones. “I m-mean, you. Of course, you. But I meant it like, Bangtan will be there to help and…” Hoseok has traced off and Yoongi knew exactly what the younger meant. If he was unsure and in denial, Hoseok has been the one to show the unborn his unconditional love and affection so far. Who was he to deny him?

“Yes, we are.” Whispered Yoongi back, not sure himself whether was he replying to the younger’s excuses or his own thoughts. Were his cheekbones getting wet?

Hoseok was still holding the older rapper’s cheeks gently and he moved forward, which startled Yoongi a little, but much less than he would expect it to. Hoseok leaned their foreheads together and even though there were still lights coming into the room from outside, Yoongi could see nothing. He could only feel Hoseok’s breath on his face, and his own heart, beating as fast as a heart of a marathon runner after the race.

He couldn’t take the lack of distance between them anymore.

Yoongi leaned forward to follow the way where the warm breath was coming from, to meet it and let it merge with his own.

But then the breeze was gone and Yoongi found himself laying down again, his head positioned on the other’s chest and being held as if the touch between the two was the only that mattered.

Our baby.” Whispered Hoseok. And Yoongi wanted to both cry and smile. He felt guilty somehow, but the younger’s immeasurable happiness was washing all of his doubts away for now.

There was one thing he knew at the moment – a good, fruitful one, or bad and fatal – a storm was upon them.

 

 

-----------------------

One chapter to go! ;)

Also, sorry (not sorry) to Mr. Min Joongi for making him an immature jokester.

Also, I'm using the pronoun "them" to adress the baby, but this doesn't mean there are more of them. It's just a way English grammar goes ("its ways are unpredictable!"). It's A baby, one. (Let's not be hard on Yoongi).