His friends

The BFF Effect

Sehun and I are talking in my room after having dinner with our families, though he really should have been with his friends that night. But I am a little sick and he didn't want to leave me while he went to party. It's very sweet of him to do that and I wonder if he would be like this with another girl. But then I feel the jealousy bubbling within me and have to stop thinking about that. We are laying on my bed, whispering slightly so no one else in the house could hear.

I bring my hand up in front of me, staring at the lines on my palm. "Lia taught me how to tell our future from reading the lines on our hands."

"Lia?" Sehun glances at me, watching me survey my own hand with the illumination from the moonlight. He brings up his hand as well. "The Chinese girl in your tutorial?"

I nod. "She said that it's a Chinese thing — to tell the fortune from our body features."

He hums in acknowledgment and I look at him, noticing how he already has his hand up. I shift closer to him, excited to show off the new skills I learnt today. I hold his wrist and he looks at me, the tip of his nose grazing my cheek. My heart might have moved to my throat, causing me to gasp softly. I brush it off, hoping Sehun hadn't notice it.

"This line," I murmur, tracing the longevity line on his palm with my finger. "The longer it is, the longer you'll live."

"So am I dying anytime soon?"

I nudge his stomach as I laugh, giving him the look I always give when he says something stupid. He cracks a grin.

"I'm afraid to say that I have to tolerate you for a really, really long time, Oh Sehun."

Sehun turns to me, our faces close and our noses just barely touching. I have to hold my breath. His eyes flicker to my lips as I watch him his own. "What about you?" he whispers. "How's your life line like?"

"Mm," I clear my throat and look away, the sound sharp in the silent night. I hold up my hand again and tell him, "Mine's not too short but not too long, so I guess I have an average lifespan?"

"Hmm," he hums, tracing the line on my palm lightly with the tip of his finger. I bite on my inner cheeks to force myself to stop from shivering. Does Sehun even know what he was doing to me? "Does that mean you'll die before me?"

I shrug and ask him, "Do you really believe in these things?"

"Well, no... But it's nice to think we have control over our lives, you know?"

"We do have control over our lives, Sehun," I tell him, turning onto my side so that I am facing him. "We choose what we want to eat, what we will do the next minute, what we want to be in the future... Right now, Sehun, we're choosing, too."

He frowns at me, "Now? Choosing what? To stay up and talk?"

I roll my eyes. "No, stupid." I place my hand over his chest and he looks at me, wide eyed. "Look, you're breathing." He stares at me like I am going mad right before his eyes. "You're choosing whether or not to live or to die. If you choose to keep breathing, you choose to live. If you decide to stop breathing, then you choose to die."

Sehun's mouth forms an 'O' when he realises what I am trying to say. I pat his chest and lay back down, the night finally back to its stillness and silence. After a while and a lot of thinking on Sehun's part, he finally speaks up.

"You're ing deep."

I laugh and urge him to go to sleep. We eventually do and in the middle of that very night, the incessant ringing of Sehun's phone startles me awake. The boy can never wake up even if the house is on fire, so I answer the call for him. The person on the phone is blubbering through tears and sniffles, and when I get the gist of what he is trying to tell me (or Sehun), my best friend is already awake and staring at me.

"What's going on?" he mutters sleepily, crinkling his nose slightly, cutely.

"Sehun-ah..." I murmur, voice hoarse and tone tentative. "Chanyeol and the others, they..."

"They what?" he growls, finally catching on my hesitation and worry in telling him the news.

"Chanyeol drove back drunk and he—"

"Oh my god," he shoots out of the bed, hair disheveled and eyes crazed with anxiety and panic.

I start crying silently at the sight of my best friend running around the room, searching for his car keys. I don't know Sehun's friends very well but they are always very nice to me whenever he brings me along on their escapades. I am sitting up on the bed, still holding onto his phone with tears streaming down my face. Sehun is cursing and knocking things down in his haste and my cries are steadily getting louder until I am sobbing.

It is only until he has his coat on and a beanie on his head that he turns to face me. He rushes over to me, suddenly noticing how much I am crying. "Please come with me," he pleads, pulling the blanket away from my body, his other hand wiping at my wet cheek. "I don't— I don't think I can drive like this."

I nod right away, getting my own coat before thudding down the stairs with Sehun to his car that is parked outside. While I drive, he wrings his hands together and the skin on his bottom lip is in the process of being bitten raw. I reach over to squeeze his thigh, which makes him look at me with his unfocused eyes. I give him a shaky smile and he slips his hand into mine, looking for someone warm to hold and to keep him teetered to reality. Then he murmurs something. Something that really knocked me over.

"Thank God I chose the right choice to stay with you," he murmurs.

 

 

"I can't believe you guys were so stupid!" Sehun bursts out in frustration when Chanyeol is awake, 

I hide behind him, slightly fearful. Sehun is never been the kind to get mad easily. But when he does, he lets the anger get the best of him, sometimes so much so that he forgets the feelings of the people around him. His yell wakes Baekhyun and Kyungsoo up, since they had been sleeping in the chairs next to Chanyeol's bed. 

"I told you to call me when you were done so I could come get you!" Sehun continues. 

"I'm sorry but could I..." A nurse is behind us, looking so timid for interrupting.

Sehun immediately takes my hand and pulls me to the side with him so that the nurse can get to Chanyeol. I stumble into his back, not expecting him to do that. He doesn't let go of my hand and he continues scolding the conscious boys even with the nurse there to hear everything.

"And you!" Sehun points at Baekhyun, even though Baekhyun is older than him. "You could have called your brother to come down!"

A groan is heard from the other side of the room, making Sehun turn around. I look up at him, observing his furrowed eyebrows and his tensed jaw. No one should look this handsome while being angry. The nurse busies herself with checking Chanyeol's IV bag. She accidentally bumps into me, so I move closer to Sehun. He unconsciously tightens his hold on my hand, pulling me closer. 

"Junmyeon hyung, I'm the most disappointed in you," Sehun says, staring at the boy who had just woken up. 

Aside from Chanyeol, Junmyeon and Jongin are also hooked up to IV bags. From what we heard when we came to the hospital, Junmyeon had been in the passenger seat, Chanyeol had been driving and Jongin was the one sitting in the middle of the backseat.  

"Yah, you're really loud, Sehun," Jongin mutters, groaning loudly. 

"Is that more important than the fact that you guys drove ing drunk and collided into a ing tree?" Sehun shouts.

The timid nurse jumps at his sudden outburst. I lean my cheek on his arm, trying to remind him that he should tone it down a little. He takes a deep breath before opening his mouth again. But then Baekhyun speaks quickly, trying to keep Sehun's focus away from his anger.

"Did you guys wait overnight?" Baekhyun murmurs, poking my hand. 

I look down at him, my cheek still resting against Sehun's arm. Baekhyun has an elbow resting on a thigh, his back hunched as he gazes up at me. Kyungsoo has his head leaning back against the wall behind him as he stares sleepily at me. I nod to Baekhyun's question. 

"We had to wait until visiting hours started," I tell him. From the side of my eye, Kyungsoo yawns. That triggers me to yawn as well.

Sehun sighs and I feel the anger leave him. After all, we slept in hard plastic chairs in the lobby last night. Still, he ruffles my hair and moves my head to lean on his arm though I am already doing that. He only presses my cheek to his arm even more. 

"You guys should go home," Junmyeon says from the other side. 

"Yeah, we're fine," Jongin reassures us. 

They really do look fine for five boys who were in a car accident. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo both look tired while Chanyeol has but a small cut on his lip. Junmyeon has a bruise on the side of his head but other than that, he is fine. Luckily for Jongin, he had his seatbelt on when the accident happened, so he isn't all that hurt. 

"But—"

"She looks really tired, Sehun-ah," Baekhyun nods his head in my direction, his eyes on Sehun all the while.

Kyungsoo leans forward and nods. "We'll be fine. We'll call you if we need anything." 

Sehun leans down, bringing his head close to mine. He tucks my hair behind my ear and I look up at him, heart beating at his tender touch and his soft gaze. He surveys the tiredness on my face before standing up straight again. He nods curtly. Baekhyun winks at me when he sees Sehun's worry divert to me. Kyungsoo smiles and waves as we leave them. Sehun also makes them promise to update him on their conditions.

This time, Sehun drives us back. We are both quiet, since we are tired and he is probably still mad. When we arrive outside my home, he turns to look at me. I look at him with sleepy eyes, my head resting lazily against the head rest. He reaches out to my cheek. 

"Sorry for taking sleep away from you," he apologises quietly. "And for making you cry." 

I shake my head and sit up, unbuckling my seatbelt. "Aren't you coming down too?"

"I don't wanna intrude your sleep." 

"You won't," I promise. "Besides, you're too tired to continue driving."

He lives only a few minutes away from me and we both know it won't take him too long to drive home and sleep. But somehow, he doesn't object. He merely turns off the engine of the car and returns home with me. Luckily, my parents are still sleeping, so we don't have to be interrogated. Sehun and I are quiet as we take off our coats and climb into bed, tired from the lack of sleep and the scare the boys gave us. We are finally under the blanket again, facing each other. 

"Were you very mad, Sehun?" I murmur, thinking back to him shouting in the hospital.

He sighs tiredly, his breath hitting my face. "I was just so worried and so mad that they'd do that to themselves..." Then he frowns at me. "Did I scare you?" I shake my head but he must have known, because he purses his lips. "I'm sorry, I really shouldn't have exploded like that." 

"It's okay." I give him a reassuring smile. "You weren't mad at me, so it's fine." 

He chuckles, eyes twinkling as he looks at me. "Is that all that matters?" I nod and grin at him. He laughs, pushing my forehead with his finger. "Idiot," he murmurs with affection.