Two peas in a pod

The BFF Effect

"Baekhyun and I will share a room," Junmyeon announces when we finally reach the beach house. "Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, and then Sehun and you together," he finishes, looking at me for approval on the sleeping arrangement.

I nod and grin. I really wouldn't have wanted to share a room with anyone else if it isn't Sehun. Junmyeon must have known too, since Sehun is probably closer to me than to any of them. Jongin regrettably can't join in on our weekend retreat, so it is just the six of us.

Sehun carries our bags into the room while I help with bringing in the food from our cars. Chanyeol decides to blast some music while we fill up the fridge and the pantry with our bottles of alcohol, snacks and food. It is only when we have kept the plastic bags that I decide to tour the guest house. I realise that while the other boys have rooms with two single beds, the room that Sehun and I are sharing is the master bedroom, the one with a queen-sized bed.

Considering how the boys are all gentlemen, I don't doubt that it's because of my gender that Sehun and I are given the bigger room. I'm not complaining either, actually. When I enter our room, Sehun is already lying on his stomach across the bed, using his phone, so I fall onto the mattress next to him, facing the ceiling. He looks at me.

"What are we gonna do now?" I wonder, spreading out my limbs.

"I don't know," he shrugs, locking his phone and moving closer so that his face is hovering over mine. I feel warm when his eyes scan my features, making my heart pound excitedly in my chest. "Weather's good for the beach," he murmurs softly.

"Yeah..." I swallow, nodding slightly. "I'll be under the shade though."

"Of course," he chuckles, poking my waist. "You're a vampire."

I roll my eyes and he laughs. Just then, Kyungsoo pokes his head into the room and when he sees that we're here, he turns to shout out to the rest to gather in the room. Sehun moves to lie on his side, facing the door to anticipate the rest. All six of us pile onto the bed, causing Sehun and I to move closer to each other to give the others more space. I am already using his bicep as a pillow when everyone is here.

"So what are we doing now?" Chanyeol looks around, hoping one of us would reply him.

"We could rest or do a movie marathon," Junmyeon suggests, shrugging his shoulders. "Or we could go to the beach? Though I think it would be better if we went to the beach at night..."

"Oh, yeah!" Baekhyun agrees. "And we can drink at the beach. That'd be fun!"

We all agree to that arrangement, so for now until dinner time, we're going to be resting in the house. Most of us decide to take a nap while Junmyeon and Kyungsoo are off to explore the beach. Sehun and I get under the blanket, the both of us naturally curling up close to each other. We fall asleep quickly since we took up quite a bit of energy trying to find the place, as well as shopping for groceries before coming here.

When I wake up an hour later, the entire house is quiet. Everyone else is still sleeping, so I decide to use my phone to kill time. I am in the middle of a game when Sehun turns in his sleep, his leg coming up to rest over mine. I don't make a big deal out of it, but when he moves closer and presses his nose to the side of my temple, I freak out a little. He is so close and though I like it, it's also making my heart run very fast. It's a bit uncomfortable.

He moans in his sleep and proceeds to sling his arm over my body, trapping me to him. I swear I am going crazy. Even with the fan , I feel so hot. Just lying on the bed, my heart rate is speeding up so fast as if I am doing some kind of sport. My best friend has always given me this kind of feeling, but never this intense. Why now, and why so sudden?

I glance at Sehun, only to see his half-opened eyes on the screen of my phone. My heart rate starts to go crazy, now that I am aware that Sehun is consciously being this close to me on his own accord. I feel so hot and bothered that I leave the game app and lock my phone, just staring at the ceiling as I try to will my heart rate to slow down.

"You're not playing anymore?" he murmurs, his breath hitting my cheek.

I dare to glance at him. He is staring at me, his eyes constantly flickering down to my lips. I shake my head and he hums, shutting his eyes again and bringing me even closer to his body.

"You're going back to sleep?" I whisper, flipping around to face him. It was a bad move, because now I have his nose in my hair, his lips on my forehead. I let out a deep breath slowly.

"Unless you're leaving this bed then yeah, I am," he mutters, rubbing my back.

We hear the shutting of the front door and we know that Junmyeon and Kyungsoo are back. I wait for them to come into our room to annoy us, but they don't. Instead, they return to their own rooms, probably lethargic from being out in the sun.

"Are you sleeping?" I whisper, looking up at Sehun. He flutters his eyes open and stares down at me. "Are you going to sleep?"

"Just tell me what you want," he grunts, nosing deeper into my hair with his eyes shut.

I swallow the butterflies trying to escape my body. "I need your opinion on something." He hums, signaling for me to continue. "So there's this guy I really, really like..." He opens his eyes and I feel slightly intimidated when he glares at me for nothing. "I almost dare say I love him—"

"Who?" he raises a scary eyebrow, moving away from me. He sounds a hundred times more awake than he had been a few seconds before.

I shake my head and lie through my teeth, "No one you know." Sehun lets out a frustrated breath. I continue, "I think he likes me, but I'm not sure..."

"So?"

I frown at him. "So help me figure out if he likes me."

"I don't want to," he mutters, turning around so that his back is to me.

"Why not?" I groan, shaking his shoulder, "I help you all the time with girls. Why can't you help me?"

"It's different now," is all he murmurs, shrugging me off.

I let him know anyway, "He's kinda touchy with me," I mention, not noticing how his body tenses with rage. "And he treats me really well and also likes to tease me. But when I think maybe he likes me, he talks to me about girls—"

"He sounds like a ing playboy," he mumbles under his breath.

I snigger silently behind his back. If only he knew he was saying this about himself. "Yeah, he is," I agree. "But he seems to really separate me from the other girls..."

"Still sounds like an idiot."

I laugh, this time unable to hold back my laughter. "You don't even know who this guy is, Sehun. Why are you saying mean things about him?"

"Because he can't love you as much as—"

"COOKING TIME!!!!!!" Chanyeol screams, flinging our door open, making me jump.

Sehun sighs and sits up, wanting to finish this conversation quickly. He follows a surprisingly chirpy Chanyeol out the room, leaving me on the bed, still thinking about my supposed-to-be counseling help.

 

 

I don't know what I did wrong, but Sehun has decided that ignoring me is a good idea. The entire time we were cooking, he tried to avoid me as much as possible, only talking to me when necessary. The times he talked to me were lifeless and unlike him. Even the boys thought he was acting weird. When it was dinner time, he sat next to Junmyeon and Chanyeol, which left me to sit with Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. I always sat next to him whenever we go out for a meal together, so the boys asked him if he was okay.

"She should mix around with you guys a bit more," he mutters as an excuse.

He doesn't speak to me throughout dinner, throwing a sissy fit none of us knew about. After dinner, Chanyeol and I take the initiative to wash the dishes. While the rest are getting ready for our night out at the beach, Chanyeol and I are by the sink, talking. 

"What's up with Sehun?" the guy finally questions.

I shrug. "I don't know. We were talking and he suddenly got mad at me." I sigh when I see Sehun walk past us, not even looking in my direction. 

"What were you guys talking about, if I may ask?" Chanyeol is curious as he looks at me. 

"About a guy I like..." I tell him shyly, unconsciously glancing at Sehun's direction. 

Chanyeol hums and I focus my attention on him. He is scrubbing a plate with his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. He finally asks, "And what did you say about this guy?"

"You know..." I mumble, suddenly shy and abashed. "About how serious my crush is..."

"And?" he prompts. 

"And..." I am blushing but he still doesn't want to let me off the hook. "About how nice he treats me... All that." Then I nudge him away. "Stop asking so much!"

Chanyeol sniggers, pushing me back lightly. After a while of laughing, we fall back into a thoughtful silence. He seems to be in deep thought as he stares off in space. Somewhere in the middle of washing, the others announce that they're going to head off to the beach first. This motivates Chanyeol and I to finish the dishes faster. When we're done, we return to our rooms to get ready for the beach. 

Since I don't have a jacket with me, I wear Sehun's hoodie which he brought only because he knew I would forget mine. Chanyeol and I leave the beach house together, searching the beach for the other four boys. 

"Is that Sehun's?" Chanyeol guesses. I turn to him and see him looking at my hoodie. I nod and he focuses his gaze on me. "You like Sehun, don't you?" 

I sputter, coughing a little. "H-huh?"

He smirks, patting my back. "The guy you talked to Sehun about. It's Sehun himself, right?" I stutter, clearing my throat uncomfortably. He laughs, "Just say it out. It's kind of obvious anyway." 

"It is?" I squeak, now more nervous that we see the boys sitting on the sand a few metres ahead of us. 

Chanyeol nods. I don't think I have ever been this scared for my life when he grins, the moonlight casting down on us and creating a sinister look on his face. Just before we get too close to the group, he pats my shoulder. 

"Don't worry, We're pretty good matchmakers," he says.

"What do you mean—"

Before I can even finish my question, he jogs towards the group and sits next to Baekhyun, excited for the drinking session to start. I swallow my nerves when I catch a wink from him. I settle next to Sehun, which the boys are nice enough to let me have the spot. 

"For being late!" Junmyeon holds out a shot glass each to Chanyeol and I. 

The male accepts it without a word and downs it. I push it away and narrow my eyes on him, "You guys didn't even help with the dishes, how dare you punish us for being late!" 

"She's right!" Chanyeol exclaims, pointing an accusing finger at all of them. But then he grabs my punishment drink from Junmyeon. "So I'll drink it!" 

"Chan—"

I was too late, he has already consumed two shots of Vodka. Baekhyun and Junmyeon laugh and clap their hands in commemoration of their friend's bravery while the rest of us are stunned. 

And that is how we start off the night. When all of us have at least a drop of alcohol in our system, the games start. First, we play a drinking game where the loser has to drink. But when Kyungsoo starts shouting out of nowhere, we know that we should slow down a little. Chanyeol suggests playing Truth or Dare. 

"That's BORING!"

Kyungsoo is the kind to be honest when he drinks, I realise. Which will also make this game a lot more fun. So we play the same drinking game, only this time the loser will choose a truth to confess or a dare to complete.

Now that we're all intoxicated, Sehun is no longer mad at me. His arm is resting on my thigh, while my head is on his shoulder; the both of us being extremely touchy people when we drink.

The first loser is Baekhyun, but he only giggles when he finds out that he has lost. "Dare!" he chooses, still giggling. 

"I dare you to drink from my belly button!" Chanyeol cackles, pulling the hem of his shirt up to expose his tummy. 

As gross and commendable as it sounds, Baekhyun actually takes up the challenge. Chanyeol even confesses that he hasn't cleaned his belly button in two months, but that still doesn't faze Baekhyun. I'm sure it would have, if we were all sober and not intoxicated. The next loser is Sehun and as a man, he chooses Dare. 

Chanyeol, again, the dare devil, points a finger at him. "I dare you to call the prettiest girl you know!" 

"Now?" Sehun fumbles for his phone, frowning as he prods the screen. "It's so late though, maybe she's sleeping," he mutters to himself. 

I swallow the hurt, moving away from him. But the alcohol masks the negativity and makes it easier to just push away the pain. We all anticipate when Sehun presses the phone to his ear, eyes casted downwards. There is a jittery silence for a few seconds before someone's phone starts to ring. I blindly search for my vibrating phone, wondering who it is that's calling, especially when it's already so late. 

I pick up the phone and look at the caller ID, only to frown at Sehun. I pull his hand that he is holding his phone away from his ear. 

"You're calling me, Sehun," I frown at him. 

His eyes widens a little, as if not expecting me to be right here next to him. But when he finally remembers that I was here all along, he looks at Chanyeol. "Does this game exclude the people playing?" 

Everyone is speechless for a moment and I wonder how drunk he must be right now. But the boys recover from their surprise quicker than I do. They giggle like school girls while I am blushing, which only adds on to the heat in my system. I feel like I'm on fire.

"Okay, next," Junmyeon gets the game going when he sees how embarrassed I am. 

Reluctantly, I play the next game and lose due to my lack in concentration. I am not brave enough and the boys are nice enough to let me choose Truth. They take some time to think before Sehun shoots me a question. 

"Do you really love that guy over me?" he murmurs, staring straight into my eyes, exposing the hurt and the unfairness in his brown orbs. 

I am in a dilemma now. How do I answer this question, when the people he mentioned in this question are the same person? Luckily, Chanyeol takes the upper hand in this awkward situation. 

"What kind of stupid question is that?" he rolls his eyes. Then he grins at me, "What's the name of that guy?"

How is this any better than Sehun's question? Chanyeol is obviously trying to feed me to the sharks, especially when the boys are so interested in my answer and Sehun staring and waiting. I fidget and stall, but they are patient when they are drunk and so they wait, excitedly and quietly. I sigh, shutting my eyes tight as I open my mouth. Might as well die tonight. 

Before I can speak, however, Sehun stops me. "Just tell us your most embarrassing moment." 

I am relieved and even though the others are disappointed, they don't probe. They still laugh at my Most Embarrassing Moment though, but that is a hundred times better than them knowing that I am in love with a man who only sees me as his best friend. 

We continue playing the game until all drinks are gone and it is already almost four in the morning. I would have thought everyone has already let me off regarding my unanswered Truth question Chanyeol posed to me. But Baekhyun is a sneaky bastard when he drinks. 

"To end the night, we should have our only lady to answer the previous Truth question!" 

Everyone else but Sehun whoops and I am dead embarrassed even with a fuzzy mind. 

"Just whisper in our ears," Baekhyun beams, as if this option is any better. 

Chanyeol thwacks his head and stands, brushing the sand off his bum. "Stop being such a busybody." 

"Then at least tell Sehun," Junmyeon suggests as he clears the litter in our space.

"Yeah, then he can tell us too," Kyungsoo grins, showing two thumbs up in Sehun's directions, his eyebrows wiggling suggestively. 

Sehun rolls his eyes and stands, grabbing the bag of unopened chips. He stalks off towards the house first, leaving me with the other boys. I bend to help out with the bags, but Junmyeon pushes me towards where Sehun has walked off to. 

"We don't need to know your little secret." He tips his head in Sehun's direction, "But I think he does." 

"Gooo!" Kyungsoo squeals, pushing me away. 

I purse my lips, glancing back at them. Baekhyun is walking with his eyes closed, swaying heavily on his feet. Chanyeol is holding him up, but he is also cheering me on, a thumb up to express his approval. I speed-walk towards Sehun and when I have reached his side, I start walking slower. 

"Sehun," I whisper, my voice catching right after his name slips out of my mouth. God, I am so nervous. 

"You don't have to tell me," he mutters, glancing at me. "I don't really want to know." 

"No, I think I should tell you."

How do I do this? I swallow and let out a big breath. Here goes nothing. 

"I love—"

"Wait," he breathes all of a sudden, sounding quite scared and anxious. "Not here."

He glances back to where the boys are trailing in our wake, on the way back to the house as well. He grabs my hand and drags me back to the house quickly before they can interrupt us. I am panting from jogging along to Sehun's long strides when he drops the bag of chips on the table and then proceeds to lock us in the room. 

"Before you tell me how much you love that guy over me," he murmurs quietly as he stares down at me, sounding hurt and pained. "I want you to know... that I've always loved you over any girl I've dated and I'm sorry for only having the balls to tell you now, when you've already found the love of your—"

Maybe it's the alcohol that spurred me on when I tip my toes, bring his face closer to me with my hands and press my lips to his, shutting him up effectively. He drops his hands to my hips, squeezing me slightly as if to confirm the realness of this situation. I pull away from the surprise kiss slowly, my heart thudding in my chest, so hard and so fast that I feel like I might have a cardiac attack any moment now.

"Does this mean you love me more?" he whispers, eyes dancing with excitement and adrenaline.

"How can I love either one more," I murmur, flickering my gaze between his brown orbs and his pink lips. "When they're both the same person?" 

 

 

 


Author's note:

I didn't change much for this chapter! Just edited some mistakes I found and made it just a taaad bit more detailed. Hope you guys still liked it though.

Till next time
xoxo