Two is better than one

The BFF Effect

"Where are you?"

"I'm in class already, where are you?"

"Really? You're in class already?"

I'm about to reply when someone bumps my shoulder, a little too roughly. I turn to give the rude person a glare when I realise that it's just Sehun, grinning at me with his phone to his ear.

"What's up, liar," he raises his eyebrows, hanging up the phone call.

I scoff and pocket my cell phone. "I'm already almost there, it's the same thing."

"It's still a three-minute walk to the classroom, sweetheart."

I glance at him from the side of my eye, huffing in defeat. Sehun likes teasing me like this, making me seem like a complete idiot. But I've been best friends with him for four years and I've long learnt how not to take these teases to heart. Besides, he's the only person I know who wouldn't hurt me on purpose.

Sehun laughs and slings an arm around my shoulders, leaning his weight onto me. I groan loudly.

"Get off, you're heavy," I grumble.

"No, I'm Sehun," he says back smartly. I give him a deadpanned look and he chortles with laughter, poking my cheek. "You look so cute when you're annoyed."

I sigh, rolling my eyes. Sehun might be annoying but sometimes he is endearing. We walk to our class together while Sehun talks the entire journey there. He seems to always be on some sort of high, his mouth non-stop moving. And it is times like this that I know for sure he had coffee to drink. Even a small sip of the bitter beverage can make Sehun stay awake during a church sermon, and that's saying something.

We get to class a few minutes before our lesson is meant to start, Sehun's arm now by his side and not slung around my neck anymore. Most of our classmates are already here, even Hyori, a friend whom I made in this class. There is only one seat left at her table, so I sit next to her. I expect Sehun to join another table, but he only pulls a chair over to sit next to me.

Hyori looks at him, a bit dazed by his good looks, just like how every other girl gets when they see my best friend. I sigh, nudging his calf with my foot.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss. "Sit somewhere else."

"I feel like sitting with you today," he shrugs, taking out his materials. He looks up at me, his head to the side pensively and then says, "I have to enjoy this pre-PMS period as much as I can."

I smack his chest and he laughs out loud, grabbing my wrist. "You're an idiot, Oh Sehun," I whine slightly, embarrassed by what he just said.

"Well, it's true," he laughs.

"Yes, but you didn't have to say it out loud..."

I am sulking because even Hyori is laughing and I don't like the feeling of being laughed at. The teacher stands from his seat and starts the class just as Sehun leans towards me, his shoulder bumping mine lightly.

"Let's have spicy rice cakes after class," he whispers, voice low and breath warm. My heart rate picks up and I curse myself for breaking so easily. I had been doing so well in staying mad at him three minutes ago. "Your favourite place?" Sehun just knows how to placate my anger. "I'll pay?"

I am already close to letting him off, but I want to be mad at him just a little more. I just want to see how long I can stay angry at him because I can never last more than five minutes, given how he knows exactly how to make me feel better.

"Come on, sweetheart..." he nudges my arm, his voice slightly whiny. "Baby..."

And just like the first time he used baby, I break. Just like every, single damn time, I break.

I sigh and give him an exasperated glance and he knows that he has won. He grins and reaches out to massage my earlobe. It's something he does only to me and not to other people, not even his girlfriends. Maybe it's because that he knows I like the feeling of someone massaging my earlobe. But then again, maybe it's also because of the fact that Sehun is sort of a clean freak and he never would touch someone else's ear unless he knows they're damn clean. (We've been friends for so many years that he doesn't mind me.)

"Sehun," I murmur, glancing at him. He hums in reply, his thumb now lining my ear shell. I notice Hyori and some girls constantly glancing at us. "Stop doing that."

"Doing what?" he whispers, eyes trained on the talking teacher even as he touches my ear.

Because I am uncomfortable with the looks we were getting, I gently reach out for his hand, holding onto his wrist and bringing it down. He stares at me, gaze unreadable. My heart thumps and I feel slightly warm. I have to look away from his intense gaze. Only after a few seconds does he stop staring. He leans back against his chair, his thigh resting against my kneecap.

I would have thought he was mad at me because he always feels ridiculed when I reject him. But he moves his leg, bumping against mine playfully, and that's how I know that we're okay. Because Sehun can never get mad at me for a prolonged period of time, just like how I can't either.

 

 

"I'm really not free, Minseok..." I sigh, really wanting to leave already.

But the male is tenacious as he keeps asking, "What about coffee? I'm sure you have time to do coffee?"

"I don't—"

"Hey, babe," an almost too familiar voice is heard. I immediately relax when Sehun stands close to me, so close that my arm is pressed against his chest. "Who's this?"

"This is Minseok," I murmur, introducing them to each other.

Sehun holds out his hand to shake Minseok's. "Sehun," he nods. A second later, he adds with a hand on the small of my back, "Her boyfriend."

My cheeks pink as he snakes that arm around my waist. Minseok looks at me in shock.

"Oh... I... I didn't know..." he mutters.

Sehun hums. "How did you guys meet?"

I look up at him, "We have one class together."

He looks back down at me, with a gaze so deep and soft that it seems like Christmas. I feel that warm and fuzzy feeling in my stomach, just like how I always feel during the winter season. My insides are tingling and my stomach is doing somersaults. Sehun smiles gently, his hand squeezing my waist slightly. Now it feels like it's midnight on New Year's Eve.

"I, um... I should go..." Minseok clears his throat awkwardly, shuffling his feet.

Sehun nods. "Nice meeting you."

"See you around," I wave, glad that he is finally going to leave and possibly stop pestering me for a long time.

We watch as he leaves, Sehun's hand still on my waist. After a long while, even when Minseok is just a speck in the crowd, Sehun still doesn't let go of me. So I turn to him, only to see him already looking at me. I pink at the thought of him staring at me the entire time.

"That guy's creepy. Stay away from him," he murmurs as a warning.

I sigh and nod, letting him steer me in the direction of his car. "I know, but he's kind of pushy. Lucky you came at the right time."

"To play boyfriend?" he teases, bumping me with his shoulder lightly.

"To play as an boyfriend."

"Ouch." I giggle and Sehun grins, rubbing my side before he pulls away, leaving me insecure and unprotected. "Anyway, rice cakes are still on, right?"

It definitely is. We talk about Minseok throughout the short walk to his car and on the way to my favourite place for spicy rice cakes, we talk about our parents who have gone on a short trip to Jeju with a few other friends of theirs.

I forgot the day that we met, to be honest. But I remember that it was through my parents' connection with the Oh's, since they were friends as well as as business partners. I first met Sehun at a dinner with both our parents and his older brother present. I remember thinking that the two sons were both extremely good-looking, almost equivalent to faces that belong on TV. And while most people who are attractive tend to be aware of the fact that they are superior in terms of look, thus giving off an air of someone who is cocky and overconfident with themself, with Sehun and his brother, they're different.

I commended the way their parents brought them up because they were humble and down-to-earth, not once making anyone else feel less than they should. And with Sehun being just a few months older than me, we clicked well and fast. On subsequent dinners where his brother got bored of attending, Sehun and I would always tag along, only because we knew that the other was going to be there.

It was only the third dinner or so when he asked me for my number so that we could keep in touch and also so we didn't have to meet under the supervision of our parents. And from then on, Sehun and I started hanging out once a week. That frequency slowly increased to twice a week and soon, we were seeing each other almost everyday. It also helps that we live only about a five-minute drive from each other, which makes getting to each other's place much easier.

So thanks to our parents, our four years worth of friendship sustained.

"What are you thinking about?" Sehun asks all of a sudden, nudging my thigh with his hand.

"Huh?"

"You blanked out for a moment," he tells me. "What were you thinking about?"

I shrug. "About how we met. It was through our parents too, wasn't it?"

"Yeah," he nods thoughtfully, biting his bottom lip. Then he glances at me, "Why were you even thinking about that?"

"Because we were talking about our parents."

Sehun makes a face. "Let's not talk about depressing things then."

"Depressing things?" I laugh, smacking his thigh. He chuckles. "By the way, you're coming over to my place on Saturday for brunch, aren't you? Your parents are coming."

He nods. "Can I stay over on Friday night though? I don't wanna wake up early."

"You know you don't have to ask, Sehun."

"I know, but you always liked people with good manners."

And he is right. Despite our close relationship, Sehun never forgets about my pet peeves. One of them would be people who are rude, and Sehun always makes sure that he asks me before he does something that he thinks would need my permission. He's just thoughtful like that.

We finally reach our destination and leave the car once he has parked. We take the short walk to the restaurant and even though you would think we would run out of things to talk about at four years of ongoing friendship, it has never been the case with us. We never have a quiet moment when we're together. We find ourselves seated in our usual spot at the restaurant and while we're going through the menu, the lady boss comes out of the kitchen to greet the both of us.

The first time we came here, it was a total coincidence. Sehun and I had just came back from a day trip to the next town and I was starving from not eating dinner. Sehun decided to stop at the first restaurant we saw upon reaching our town and this was it. I had been craving for spicy rice cakes then and when I had taken eaten the one they served here, I swore I would never eat spicy rice cakes from another place again.

Sehun didn't think the food here was all that fantastic, but because he knew I liked the food here, we have been patronising this place for over two years. So much so that even the lady boss is familiar with us, constantly giving us free food and talking to us like we were her children.

"So what would you like to have?" Auntie Kim chirps.

"Spicy rice cakes—"

She cuts Sehun off, clucking her tongue, "Of course! It's on the house as always, Sehun-ah. Now, what else?"

"Egg soup!" I grin. "And... a bowl of kimchi cheese ramyeon. Oh! And a—"

"Yah, isn't it a little too much?" Sehun nudges my knee under the table.

"But I'm hungry, oppa..." I whine slightly.

Auntie Kim laughs when he sighs in defeat, letting me order what I want. Just like how I'm always weak for Sehun calling me 'baby', Sehun himself becomes a softie whenever I call him 'oppa'. He knows I would never call him that in my right mind, but when I do, he turns into a total pushover despite being entirely aware of the fact that I only call him that when I want something from him.

"Do you think you could make us takoyaki balls, auntie Kim?" I ask as a favour because this dish is off the menu. But she had served them to us once for free before, so I thought maybe it would be possible to order something off menu.

"Of course!" she nods hurriedly.

I chuckle. "Thanks, auntie Kim. Sehun likes takoyaki, so I just thought..."

"Oh, don't worry about it," she laughs, taking the menus from us. "And what about drinks?"

"Just water, please," I smile. She nods and she's off to place our order. I move into a more comfortable position and when I'm seated properly, I notice that Sehun is staring at me. "What?" I mutter.

He shrugs. "You're just... You eat a lot."

"I know," I roll my eyes. "You always tease me about it, remember?"

Sehun nods, grinning at the annoyed expression on my face. "Yes, but I just realised... that I almost never find a girl who eats as well as you. Every time I go on dates, the girls just watch me eat and do you know how uncomfortable that is?"

I laugh despite that clench in my stomach. I have to lie to myself that it is the hunger, and not something else. "Yeah, considering how you eat like a pig," I say.

He gives me a stink eye, which only makes me laugh harder. He eventually breaks into a smile, just as he always does when he sees me chortling with laughter.

"I guess I just mean to say that I enjoy eating with you," he finally mutter. Then he narrows his eyes on me jokingly, "Even if I have to pay more when I'm with you."

"Well, I enjoy eating with you too, oppa," I tell him honestly though the grin on my face is teasing. I hope he doesn't think my flirting is coming off too strong.

Sehun knows me well enough to understand that I'm being truthful despite the teasing look I have. His eyes soften and he relaxes in his seat, his long leg stretched out until it is resting against mine.

"I know," he murmurs softly with a small smile playing on his lips.

 

 

"Can you get me a glass of water, love?"

I give Sehun a look. My heart is thumping too fast and too hard, but I get myself to say, "Get it yourself."

"Please?" he juts his bottom lip out and I think he looks hilarious with that face as he tries to attack ugly monsters on my desktop. "I'm reeeally thirsty." I sigh and get up from my bed even though I'm already half asleep. Just as I am leaving the room, he adds, "And also some chips please! Thank you!"

"Oh Sehun!" I whine.

"Yeah?" he answers distractedly, cocking his head in my direction though his eyes are focused on his game.

I shake my head in exasperation and leave the room. My parents are already sleeping, considering how it is already almost two in the morning. I quickly get a bottle of cold water and a few bags of chips for Sehun. Never fond of the silence and darkness out here at night, I return to my room quickly, shutting the door tight behind me. I place the food on the table in front of Sehun and he reaches out to rub my back, only to caress to my since his eyes are on the computer and has no idea where his hand is placed. I think he realises though, because he slides his hand up to the small of my back.

"Thanks, babe," he mutters.

"I'm going to bed, Sehun," I murmur, patting his shoulder. "Don't stay up too late, okay?"

He hums and I go back to bed, too bored and tired to stay up alone since my best friend is preoccupied by his computer game. I sleep on my side of the bed, curled up under the sheets. While Sehun moves a lot in his sleep, I am one to not move. Maybe that's why Sehun likes sleeping with me. We never have to fight for the blanket.

I don't know how long I had been sleeping for when Sehun finally climbs into bed after a night of gaming. I groan slightly when he nudges my elbow on accident, stirring me from my slumber. Given his long limbs, he again kicks my leg lightly as he gets comfy under the blanket.

I groan, "Sehun..."

"Sorry," he whispers, rubbing the side of my hips in a way of soothing me back to sleep.

I hum, moving just a bit nearer to him until we're close enough to feel each other's warmth, but not close enough to touch. And that's how we go to sleep that night.

The next morning after my mother comes in to wake us up to get ready for the brunch that is happening in an hour's time, we find ourselves a lot closer than we had been last night. Our legs are overlapping and tangled, Sehun's arm is slung around my waist, and his chest is pressing against my back. Even his forehead is resting on my shoulder, in an attempt to shield himself from the sunlight poking through the blinds. 

It was probably a year ago when we started to always find ourselves in an intimate position in the morning, no matter how far from each other we slept in the night. We never thought much about it, since we were touchy people to start with. Besides, having spent so much time with each other, something like that didn't feel weird at all. 

But it is only recently that I started feeling all shy and hot whenever we woke up like this. Because it is only recently, that I realised that I have romantic feelings for my best friend.

 

 


Author's note:

dksgngigkr I don't even know how long I'm going to make this fic but trust me when i say that i'll make this as fluffy as my other kaibaek fluff!!!!!!!! I never write enough Sehun fluff and I just NEED to do this. 

Also, I wrote this in mind of the Sehun character in Rules & Regulations, which is a super sweet and protective best friend *swoons*

Anyways, happy new year!!!!!! make 2016 a good year and good luck!

Till next time
xoxo