So Stupid

My Number One Fan

Kibum decided not to question the fact that it was indeed a warm day, and Jonghyun being cold was quite unlikely. After all, at that moment, with the older boy’s hand locked with his, he felt as though he was on cloud nine and wouldn’t change it for the world.

“I don’t come to the park often,” spoke Kibum casually as they strolled, breathing in the smell of flowers that wafted around the vast, green landscape.

Jonghyun grinned at Kibum as he watched him taking in the serenity, a voice in the back of his head telling him that he’d never seen a more beautiful sight. “Is there not one close to your house?”

Kibum looked in thought for a few seconds and then began to nod slowly in agreement. “Well I mean…as a kid I remember going to those small parks on street corners. You know those ones with a small playground and that’s about it?”

“Yeah, I remember those.”

“I do have a few memories of them, but I’ve never really been to a big park like this one and just…relaxed. I know that sounds really stupid, but I just never saw the point in going out of my way to relax at a park.” continued Kibum, nodding his head softly as he recalled why he had never been.

“But now that I’m here, I realise that I should’ve come before now…It’s really serene.”

Jonghyun nodded joyfully in agreement, nonchalantly swinging their hands back and forth. “Yeah, I think that’s part of the reason why I come so often. It really helps if it’s too noisy at home, and it’s the best place to write new songs. I’ve probably written at least a half of my songs here, to be honest.”

Kibum gaped in shock, but inwardly understood why the park was such a great place for Jonghyun. “That’s pretty amazing.”

“Right? The ice cream helps too though, if I’m being completely honest. I’m a er for sweets.” the older boy laughed, and Kibum found it was contagious as he begun to chuckle along too.

“Maybe I’ll just stick with a donut for today. Let me tell you though, I once won a y donut eating competition.” spoke Kibum with an impish grin, Jonghyun turning to face him with an incredulous expression upon his face.

“You did not.” he retorted with a suspicious, raised brow.

Kibum threw his head back and laughed loudly, taking Jonghyun by surprise yet causing a large grin to spread over his red cheeks nonetheless.

“Fine, I didn’t win one…But trust me, if there was such a thing I would win.” defended Kibum with a bark of laughter, a confident smirk appearing on his face.

“Ah Kibum, when you laugh like that you are seriously too cute,” complimented Jonghyun, before pointing towards an ice cream truck around fifty metres from where they currently stood. “And yes, I’m sure you would win. Care to demonstrate?”

Kibum’s cheeks burned crimson, looking at Jonghyun with a flabbergasted expression. “Now?”

“Yes now.”

The younger of the two sighed dramatically and rolled his eyes. “Whatever Jjong...just be prepared to faint because when you get a load of my donut eating skills…let’s just say you won’t be able to think straight.”

Jonghyun tilted his head with doubt, a look upon his face which read ‘are you seriously kidding me right now?’ “Sure, sure Kibum. Whatever floats your boat.”

However despite Jonghyun’s exterior attitude towards Kibum’s claims, inwardly, he didn’t doubt them at all. Of course Jonghyun knew he wouldn’t be able to think straight…Kibum already had that part under control. Ever since he had met the younger boy, all of his prior confusion about his uality had disappeared completely. He was definitely biual…or gay for Kibum at least. Jonghyun didn’t mind feeling that way personally; however he was afraid of what would happen if others were to find out – especially Kibum himself.

“You ready to be blown away then?” smirked Kibum cheekily, tugging Jonghyun gently towards the van to study the vast amount of choices displayed on the board. “I’d pick a cream filled donut, but I don’t think you could handle it.”

Jonghyun choked a little on his spit, looking at the younger male in disbelief. How was he so confident about his suggestive word choice?

“I’ll have one cinnamon donut please!“ spoke Kibum brightly, an impish grin which displayed his dimples perfectly etching onto his face.

“And a double caramel swirl ice cream!” added Jonghyun with a laugh, meeting the younger’s beautiful gaze and feeling truly lucky to be holding hands with an amazing man such as Kibum.

The owner of the van nodded silently, eyeing their interlocked hands sceptically yet staying quiet on the matter nonetheless. “Just four dollars for them today thanks.”

Jonghyun moved towards his wallet for the second time that day, but this time Kibum was prepared, handing over the four dollars immediately and poking his tongue out mischievously at the elder. “Not letting you pay again, Jjong.” he winked.

Jonghyun shook his head amusedly and gave Kibum’s hand a small ‘thank you’ squeeze. “You’re way too stubborn for your own good, you know?”

“Get used to it now, because I sure as heck ain’t changing.” Kibum replied sassily, smirking at Jonghyun in what seemed to be a y manner (in Jonghyun’s opinion), before turning around and taking the paper bag from the vendor.

The man had been watching their exchange awkwardly, screwing up his face in distaste at the public displays of affection occurring between the two. “And your ice cream, sir.”

“Ah, thank you!” exclaimed Jonghyun brightly, reaching out for his treat with his free hand excitedly.

Kibum giggled into his shoulder cutely, tugging on Jonghyun’s hand gently to lead him away from the van and towards the relaxing sound of the trickling waterfall.

“You sure you’re prepared, tough boy?” teased Kibum playfully, swishing the paper bag in front of Jonghyun’s face flirtatiously as the older boy shook his head in mock disbelief.

He turned his head in both directions to take in his surroundings, and his lips in anticipation. “I can’t believe you’re seriously doing this – look at all the people!”

“Well they better take a photo while they can, it’ll last longer.”

Jonghyun chucked heartily, smiling brightly at the perfection beside him and giving his hand a small, almost unnoticeable squeeze. “Ah Kibum, you’re seriously amazing.” he whispered fondly, a pure tone of admiration lacing his voice.

Kibum flushed rouge, yet brushed off the compliment with fake nonchalance and pulled the donut from the paper bag.

“Let’s see if you seriously deserve to win this competition then, huh?” the singer jeered playfully, regretfully pulling his hand away from Kibum’s gently so the younger would be able to demonstrate his donut eating skills with more grace.

The two felt an immediate loss of warmth as their hands lost contact, Kibum having no other desire at that moment than to entwine their hands again to be able to feel the tingles run down his spine once more. He didn’t act on his desire however, and instead concentrated on the donut before him, contemplating the best possible way to impress the older male.

It might have been a bit immature of him to be thinking like this; after all, he was literally about to eat a donut in an attempt to impress Jonghyun and pray to god the elder would find at least a little humour in his stupid endeavour.

“Oh god, why am I only getting embarrassed now,” muttered Kibum regretfully, Jonghyun merely throwing his head back and laughing loudly.

“Come on, ‘Bummie.” he cheered mischievously, poking his tongue out at the school uniform clad Kibum as the said boy’s heart jolted in his chest at the cute nickname.

“You asked for it,” shot Kibum with a smug smirk, before he turned away from Jonghyun in preparation.

“What the heck are you doi-“ began Jonghyun confusedly, only to be cut off in astonishment as Kibum swished around with a determined look upon his adorable face.

Jonghyun stood startled, cheeks slowly growing warmer as Kibum stared penetratingly into his wide eyes. He had mistakenly convinced himself before that he was in for a good laugh, finding it amusing to no end at the thought of Kibum embarrassing himself before a crowd of strangers. Yet by the way Kibum was looking at him, with slightly narrowed eyes and a sultry expression glazing over his face, Jonghyun was now quite convinced that he would be doing little to no laughing, and much more drooling than he bargained for.

Kibum lips tilted up at the ends slightly in what Jonghyun deemed a y smirk, before the student brought the sugary sweet to his lips and gnawed a piece of the donut off in an aggressive yet teasing manner. Jonghyun’s jaw dropped in gobsmacked disbelief, and his facial aerobics only intensified as Kibum’s tongue shot out to the cinnamon from his lips. The younger took a slow step backwards without breaking eye contact, Jonghyun not missing the subtle wink Kibum aimed at him as his index finger gestured towards his smug form suggestively.

The heat that overcame Jonghyun’s body was inevitable, blood rushing up to his cheeks and down to his nether regions at the actions performed by the younger boy. He was practically screaming with no audible sound, both in shock and surprise but also pure delight at this new side of Kibum.

‘Perfect.’ his brain kept telling him, and there was not one single thought inside of his head that disagreed with that revelation.

Kibum wiped his mouth on the sleeve of his blazer, his y look of confidence gone having been replaced with flushed cheeks and a nervous lip bite.

Jonghyun, still holding his ice cream, looked at Kibum with the biggest look of awe, admiration and disbelief on his features. “You seriously weren’t kidding, Kibum.” he breathed.

Kibum smiled sheepishly, lifting his hands up to cover his cheeks in pure embarrassment. “I’m sorry.”

Sorry?! Are you kidding me, Kibum? That was…that was hot! And I know that probably sounds really weird coming from me, but yeah, you would definitely win a y donut eating competition. No doubt about it.” exclaimed Jonghyun, eyes widening once he realised what he had said.

Kibum’s face turned into a tomato, flushing crimson at the elder’s bluntness. Mounds of pure delight poured over him, butterflies of all sorts filling his stomach and going crazy within their confines. Did he seriously have that kind of effect on Jonghyun? No…the mere thought was preposterous. He was merely stating it as a fact. No biased opinions. Definitely not.

Jonghyun’s thoughts were going crazy, images of the flirtatious Kibum still ingrained in his mind. Had he seriously said all of that aloud? The student probably thought he was a psycho – a creep! Yet despite his fear of the other boy’s reaction, he knew for a fact that every single thing he had said was true. The shy, nervous, yet secretly sassy side of Kibum was perfect. Ever since he had talked to the boy he had been infatuated with him - every little thing he did, every little detail on his gorgeous face. And just when Jonghyun had begun to think that the younger couldn’t get any more perfect, he had been proven wrong once again, witnessing this secret side of Kibum that possibly only he knew of.

He coughed awkwardly at the immediate change in mood, avoiding eye contact but slowly inching towards Kibum in an attempt to intertwine the younger’s hand with his own. Kibum bit his lip cutely, and gave one of those endearing grins that turned Jonghyun’s legs to jelly.

“So, what’s my prize?” spoke Kibum mischievously, looking at Jonghyun through his long, black lashes as the two fiddled with each other’s hands in a cute, teenager-esque manner.

Jonghyun laughed breathily and took a daring step closer to the younger male, moving his head forward slightly to rest right beside Kibum’s ear. Kibum’s heart ceased completely, Jonghyun’s warm breath tickling his ear and sending chills down his spine at the close proximity.

“How about another date?” he whispered in suggestion, the hairs on Kibum’s neck standing on edge at the feeling of the elder’s mouth so close to his face.

“Y-yeah.” stuttered Kibum immediately in response, finding it quite difficult to concentrate and focus on his words with the lack of distance between Jonghyun and himself.

Jonghyun allowed a smirk to grace his lips before he pulled back slowly, an innocent look returning to his features as though what he had just done had never occurred. “Do you wanna decide what we’ll do? You can text me later about it.”

Kibum nodded shyly, smiling up at Jonghyun happily with his forever lasting tinted cheeks on display. “I’ll probably text you tonight…Don’t get your hopes up for bungee jumping or anything though, ‘cause there is no way I’d ever agree to that, let alone suggest it.”

“Trust me, I definitely wasn’t hoping you’d say that. Let’s just say extreme sports aren’t my cup of tea, so you have nothing to worry about.” snickered Jonghyun lightly, before taking a big of his ice cream.

He held the dessert out to Kibum in offering, a cheeky grin plastered onto his face as Kibum stood deadpanned in disbelief. “Seriously, Jonghyun?” he questioned, cocking his eyebrow dubiously.

Jonghyun gave a small, mischievous nod, poking his tongue out the side of his mouth in a way that screamed ‘confidence.’ Kibum pursed his lips, and just as Jonghyun thought that the younger had made up his mind and began to pull the treat away, Kibum leaned forward out of the blue and took a large of the double caramel swirl.

He pulled away with an impish smile covering his face, Jonghyun’s jaw dropping in joyous surprise. The two boys looked at each other for a few seconds in deafening silence, before they both broke out in simultaneous laughter at the smear of ice cream on Kibum’s face.

“K-Kibum!” choked out Jonghyun in laughter, before breaking out into another fit of giggles.

The two immature males held onto his each other for support, Kibum lifting their locked hands and using the back of Jonghyun’s to wipe the mess off of his chin. Despite the absurdity of the situation, the boys couldn’t help but continue to chortle, finding every little detail of their ruffled predicament even more amusing than the last.

“Why are we so stupid?” breathed Kibum amusedly after he had regained his breath, releasing his clutching hold on Jonghyun yet making sure to keep his hand entwined firmly with his.

“And to think you’re graduating school this year…” spoke Jonghyun with a disappointed tut, Kibum merely shooting him an incredulous look.

“And to think you graduated school two years ago.” the younger shot back with a smirk, Jonghyun’s cheeks turning pink as he nodded in crestfallen agreement.

“Touché, my friend. Touché.”

The two shared a wide, jubilant smile before they began walking off back towards Jonghyun’s trashy vehicle. Kibum dug into his pocket with his free hand and checked the time on his phone out of habit, blanching at the digits displayed.

“. How on earth is it already 6:30?” he exclaimed, gnawing on his bottom lip in sudden anxiety.

“Wow, time sure flies when you’re having fun! Is there somewhere you have to go?” replied Jonghyun cheerfully, tone fading into slight disappointment by the time he had completed his sentence.

Kibum stared down at his feet wistfully, scuffing his foot against the gravel beneath his shoes. “My parents don’t know that I went out today…They’d start to question it if I didn’t return home by dinner.”

Jonghyun sighed. “’Bum, why didn’t you ask them? You’re still a student; I don’t want to get you in trouble.”

Kibum frowned guiltily, lifting his gaze to look Jonghyun in the eyes. “If I had asked them, I wouldn’t be here right now. All they ever ask me to do is ‘study, study, study.’ They work late every Wednesday so there was no way I could’ve disagreed!” he argued, staring at Jonghyun with wide, pleading eyes.

Jonghyun’s lips tilted up slightly at the ends, before he pulled Kibum closer and wrapped him in a warm embrace. “Thank you for coming today. It really means a lot…I’ll drive you home, okay?”

Kibum nodded happily and took one last deep inhale of Jonghyun’s scent before pulling away reluctantly. “Yes please…that’d be nice.”

They grudgingly released hands and slid into the car, before reversing back onto the road with a comfortable silence floating between them. The vehicle eventually pulled up before Kibum’s middle class home, both of the boys being overcome with a dreadful feeling of disappointment.

“I’m sorry this had to be cut short.” apologized Kibum sincerely, looking at Jonghyun with furrowed brows.

Jonghyun smiled reassuringly at the younger boy, reaching over and rubbing his thumb over the back of Kibum’s hand. “I don’t mind, ‘Bummie. Besides, we had loads of fun! Text me tonight, okay?”

Kibum nodded enthusiastically, unbuckling his seat belt before biting his lower lip in contemplation. The singer tilted his head to the side in confusion, before all of a sudden he felt Kibum’s warm lips resting on his cheek in a quick peck before the younger pulled away and opened the car door with haste.

“Bye, Jjong!” he spoke in farewell, a pink hue tinting his cheekbones before he closed the door gently and scurried back up to his front door.

Jonghyun sat in shock, fingers reaching up slowly to touch the place where Kibum’s lips had been less than a minute ago. “Wow.” he whispered in awe, a large grin etching onto his face as the reality of the situation finally sunk in.

 

Kibum lied upon his bed wearily, the scolding he had received from his parents earlier still fresh within his mind. He shook his head to rid his mind from the unpleasant thoughts, before fishing his phone out of his pocket and conjuring a text.

‘Hey, Jjong! My parents are going away for the weekend, so I was thinking you could come over for a movie night on Saturday! Thank you so much for a great day :’)

Your Number One Fan x’