Any Time

My Number One Fan

The next morning, Kibum awoke with jitters at the prospect of his coffee date with Jonghyun later that day. He took a particularly long time to prepare himself, taking his precious time in choosing the perfect outfit and making sure that every strand of his hair was sitting in its correct place. Kibum then washed his face thoroughly, and even applied the slightest amount of BB cream and eyeliner so that every detail on his face was defined perfectly. All the while going through this routine, a large grin rested upon his face, and it didn’t fade in the slightest despite the fact that at one point he had accidentally poked himself in the eye with his eyeliner pencil.

The nerves and butterflies fluttering around within his stomach were wild, and although he didn’t have a particularly large appetite that fine morning, Kibum knew he would regret his decisions greatly if he chose not to ingest some food. He made a quick slice of toast with butter and ate it reluctantly; the welcome churns in his stomach preventing him from downing it with haste.

It seemed as though Kibum was in another world that day, not even paying attention to the swaying trees which lined the road sides and the way his feet made contact with the cracked, stone pathway beneath his feet as he walked. Not that he was rather fond of staring at the ground every other day; it was just a habit that Kibum had adapted out of boredom throughout his school years.

His thoughts flickered back to the day before, and the lunch time he had spent with Taemin and surprisingly, Minho. A burst of something flushed through his veins; an unknown feeling that left him feeling happy nonetheless. It was strange. The whole school year thus far had Kibum loathing the younger boy; his arrogance, his superior dance skills (although Kibum would never admit it aloud), his faux innocence, and especially the way he looked down on Kibum.

Yet yesterday had changed Kibum’s opinion so easily. Sure, he still didn’t trust Taemin. And he wouldn’t necessarily call him a friend. But the younger had been kind to him, and had actually hung out with Kibum at lunch willingly. And he hadn’t even insulted Kibum once whilst he was doing it. Most of all however…Taemin and Minho had made Kibum feel genuinely happy; and because of that, Kibum wasn’t dreading the thought of school like usual.

His joy didn’t fade in the slightest throughout the (insufferably long) day, and it only increased at lunch time when Minho and Taemin decided to join him yet again.

“What’s got you in such a good mood? Got yourself a girlfriend?” asked Taemin mischievously with a raised eyebrow, nudging Kibum slightly as he winked.

Kibum’s cheeks flushed crimson, and his head shot down immediately to face the wooden floor.

“N-no,” Kibum answered honestly, because after all, Jonghyun was a boy. And he wasn’t his boyfriend.

Taemin chuckled, and shot Minho a knowing look. “Sure, sure, Kibum. Keep telling yourself that.”

Kibum’s jaw dropped, and he playfully slapped the younger’s knee. “I’m not lying! I don’t have a girlfriend and I’m not getting one anytime soon.” He replied, screwing his face up in distaste.

A small smirk grew on Taemin’s face, and he shook his head in disbelief. “Whatever, Kibum.”

The elder merely rolled his eyes, the lasting grin still resting upon his face.

“Something’s definitely up.” commented Minho quietly with a nod, causing Kibum to glare at the two as they shared an amused look.

“Just…shut up, guys.”
____

Kibum tapped his fingers against the wooden desk before him in anticipation, the seconds on the clock ticking by slower than ever as he stared at it relentlessly. Two minutes remained of the school day, and Kibum felt as though his stomach was going to explode as mounds of nerves and butterflies flew around within it. From beside him, Amber kept shooting curious looks his way, but never spoke aloud in fear of being held back for detention yet again. Kibum found his lower lip trapped between his teeth in a mixture of nerves and excitement as a mere twenty seconds remained, the incessant tapping of his fingers only speeding up as the feeling of excitement continued to rush through his veins.

“Kim Kibum, if you would please stop that annoy-“ the teacher begun to scold, only to be interrupted by the blaring sound of the bell as it blasted through the speakers.

“Never mind,” she sighed, sitting down in defeat as the pupils gathered their books in haste and rushed out of the classroom.

Kibum wasn’t to be excluded from this lot because he was out of the classroom before anybody else, practically running to his locker and putting his books inside impatiently. He swung his bag over his left shoulder and exhaled shakily, strolling towards the male bathroom and making his way inside. The student adjusted the loose strands of hair upon his head so they sat perfectly, before checking over his light makeup and nodding in approval.

This was it. It felt as though these last two days had lasted forever, and thoughts of Jonghyun hadn’t faded from his mind in the slightest. In fact, they had only grown, and despite the fact that Kibum felt rather immature for being so infatuated with the older boy, he felt no need to hide his happiness of seeing him yet again.

Kibum bounced his way to the front of the school joyfully, passing by Amber on his way and giving her a friendly wave in farewell. Amber waved back happily with a grin on her face, before turning back to her friends to continue their conversation about God knows what. Reaching the place in which he expected Jonghyun would pick him up, he began searching, casting his sight on each and every parked car which lined the street and the students and citizens whom roamed the sidewalks. After around a minute of searching, his mood began to automatically deflate, seeing as how none of the people appeared to be Jonghyun.

Perhaps he is going to pick me up from the back entrance,’ thought Kibum hopefully, worrying his lip between his teeth and rocking back and forth on his heels.

‘What if he forgot all about it? What if he was leading me on? What if h-‘

“Hello, Kibum!” came the friendly, all too familiar greeting; and before Kibum even had time to turn around and see who it was (although he already had a rather good idea), his body was spun around and he was pulled into a warm, comforting hug which he then discovered he had been craving for days.

“H-hi Jonghyun!” replied Kibum with a stutter, sinking into the embrace and breathing in the older male’s gorgeous scent.

The two eventually pulled apart, reluctantly if I may, and smiled widely at each other with pure joy.

“I missed my number one fan, you know. How have you been?”

Kibum nearly fainted on the spot at Jonghyun’s mere kindness and god-like looks.

He didn’t however, for that would be embarrassing, and instead rolled his eyes in mock annoyance. “Well your number one fan missed his idol just as much. And I’ve been really good…yourself?”

“So you admit it, I am your idol! And I’ve been great - ever since we met! Did I mention you look super adorable in a school uniform!” responded Jonghyun with a cheeky smile, looking quite smug at the blush that immediately appeared on Kibum’s face.

The older boy smirked in glee, before grabbing Kibum’s hand casually and making his way over to the bomb of a car he called his own.

“Come on, Kibum…I’m going to take you to my favourite coffee shop.” Jonghyun announced, ignoring the crimson hue on his own face and opening the passenger door for the younger.

Kibum’s own red face was equally as bright as he slid into the seat gracefully with a small, concealed grin resting upon his face.

As the two took off with equal excitement swimming in their veins, they took no notice of Taemin, whom had witnessed the whole scene from the comfort of underneath a tree whilst waiting for his mother. The young teen watched with wide eyes, blinking a few times in shock as they drove off.

‘This makes total sense!’ Taemin thought to himself, a mischievous grin growing on his face. ‘Kibum wasn’t excited because he had gotten himself a girlfriend…he was excited because he had gotten himself a boyfriend!

Taemin wasn’t completely stupid…sure, he wasn’t book smart. But he was observant, and had taken notice of all the rumours that had spread throughout their school. Including the rumours about Kibum being gay. He hadn’t really cared before because he wasn’t friends with the Kibum then, but now, taking the rumours into account along with the boy’s personality and the encounter with the older man, it all fit perfectly. The student’s smirk grew even wider, mood increasing slightly at this new piece of information.

He was knocked out of his reverie by the car honk of his mother’s car, and he hurriedly made his way towards the vehicle with anticipation for the day to come. Oh boy…he couldn’t wait to tease Kibum at school tomorrow.
____

Meanwhile, Kibum and Jonghyun had just arrived at a cute little café across from the local park, the two of them walking inside the building and immediately being overcome with a feeling of welcoming warmth. A large grin spread over Kibum’s face, and Jonghyun had to resist himself from reaching out and poking the younger’s dimples.

“D’ya like it?” questioned Jonghyun with his signature smile, taking notice of the sparkle in Kibum’s eyes and the pure happiness radiating from his body.

“I love it…Why on earth have I never been here before?” replied Kibum in awe, breathing in the scent of coffee beans and freshly baked sweets with wide eyes.

“I have no idea, it really is wonderful. But hey, don’t I get a thank you hug? If it wasn’t for me…you might’ve never come.”

Kibum rolled his eyes playfully, slapping Jonghyun’s arm gently before enveloping him in a warm hug. “Thank you, Jonghyun hyung.” he whispered, holding on to the older tightly as he rested his chin on his shoulder.

“Ahem.”

Kibum pulled apart from Jonghyun hastily, head whipping around to face the cute woman behind the counter.

“Sorry for interrupting your little moment, guys…” she apologized, taking in the sight of the two and eyes widening as they landed on Jonghyun.

“Jonghyun-ah! Looking healthy, I see! And oh my gosh, who is this? He’s adorable!” the woman exclaimed, rushing out from behind the counter and pulling the two males into a bone crushing hug.

“H-Hey Luna! You’re kinda squishing us here…” choked out Jonghyun with a red face, the older woman, now known as Luna, pulling back immediately.

“Oh sorry, boys!” she apologized kindly, ushering them over to a booth and practically pushing them into the seats.

“Hey there, kiddo! I’m Luna, Jonghyun’s friend!” she introduced energetically, ruffling Kibum’s hair sweetly with a wide smile.

“H-hello Luna-ssi…I’m Kibum.” replied the student nervously, bowing slightly at Luna with a small smile.

Luna squealed silently like a fangirl, turning to Jonghyun excitedly. “You’re even more adorable when you speak! Jonghyun, where’d you snag a cutie like this?”

“We met after one of my gigs…he seemed to be a big fan of mine. Aren’t I lucky?”

As they spoke, the blush on Kibum’s face only intensified, and he attempted to lift his collar up to hide his cheeks in embarrassment.

“You sure are! Well anyway, I have to get back to work, but call me over once you’ve decided what you want, okay?” spoke Luna, clasping her hands together with a large grin.

“Will do Luna!” laughed Jonghyun, waving casually at the older woman as she walked away.

“Any time, Jonghyun!”

“Wow…she’s so nice! How do you guys know each other?” exclaimed Kibum after she had left, pulling his collar back down and folding it neatly.

Jonghyun laughed, nodding in agreement. “I know right! Well, we originally met because we went to the same singing tutor, but she later ended up marrying my best friend so…”

“Oh wow!” exclaimed Kibum in laughter, looking back at the waitress in disbelief.

“Weird, right? Oh and…I’m sorry for embarrassing you back there.” apologized Jonghyun in reply, furrowing his eyebrows in concern.

“No, no…it’s fine! I blush way too easily anyway.” mumbled Kibum in reply, eyes drifting over his menu as he avoided Jonghyun’s gaze in embarrassment.

“You are rather cute though…If I may.” added Jonghyun, lips tilting up at the ends as he studied Kibum’s reaction.

Kibum smiled cutely and rolled his eyes, casually flicking his bangs out his eyes. “Thank you. There’s no need to tell me what I already know though.”

Jonghyun scoffed in laughter, shaking his head in disbelief at the younger’s sass. “Oh that’s fine…I just won’t compliment you from now on.” he shrugged nonchalantly, smirking cheekily as Kibum’s jaw dropped.

“Wha-? But…” stuttered Kibum in argument, lower lip beginning to poke out in a pout.

Jonghyun grinned smugly and crossed his arms over his chest knowingly. “Ha ha! So you do like me complimenting you. I knew it!” He teased, poking his tongue out at Kibum.

The younger flushed brightly, and covered his face with his hands in embarrassment. “Stuff you, Jjong.”

“…”

“What did you just call me?”

“What? I’m sorry, I-I won’t do it again-“, began Kibum in reply, biting his lip nervously at Jonghyun’s wide eyes.

“No…No I like it, say it again.” spoke Jonghyun in response, a large grin suddenly covering his face as he leaned a tad closer to Kibum in anticipation.

“Oh. Um well…Jjong. I called you Jjong.” choked out Kibum, feeling the blood rush to his cheeks at the older male’s sudden closeness.

“I love it!” exclaimed Jonghyun excitedly, clapping his hands together in glee.

Kibum sighed playfully, shaking his head. “You’re such a kid.”

Jonghyun laughed, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. “Why thank you. Anyway…we should probably order, right?”

“Yeah, probably,” agreed Kibum with a nod.

The two scanned over their menu’s carefully, every now and then risking glances up to look at the other and blushing furiously when they did so simultaneously.  

“Everything looks too good Jjong…what do you reckon?” spoke Kibum, eyes wide at the vast amount of delicious choices they were met with.

“Hmm…do you like coffee?” questioned the older curiously, resting his cheek against his palm cutely as he awaited Kibum’s reply.

Kibum nodded enthusiastically. “Do I like it? Coffee has saved me more times than I can count…so obviously. But I love chocolate too so I’m not quite sure.”

“Not to fear, Kibum! I know the perfect one for you.” exclaimed Jonghyun excitedly, flipping through his menu wildly in search of the ‘perfect’ drink. “Here we go…the ‘Double Chocolate Chip Crème Frappuccino’!”

Kibum’s jaw dropped in disbelief, pulling the menu from Jonghyun’s grasp and gaping at the description. “Don’t you think it’ll be a little too sweet?”

“That’s what I thought when I first ordered it…But it’s actually amazing, I swear!” asserted Jonghyun with an abrupt nod, smiling brightly at Kibum in encouragement.

Kibum blushed brightly at the elder’s mesmerising grin, and chose to agree with Jonghyun on the choice of beverage. “Okay…but if this is a trick I’m forcing it down your throat.”

“Oh, so you’re the type.” commented Jonghyun offhandedly, folding his hands in front of him calmly like some sort of official.

Kibum practically choked on his own saliva, sputtering incoherently. “W-what the ?!” he exclaimed, earning a few dirty looks from the other customers sitting nearby.

Jonghyun bit his lip for a few silent seconds when suddenly, out of the blue, he threw his head back comically and burst into laughter. “Oh – my – gosh!” he choked out in between ragged breaths, banging his fist against the table. “If you could’ve seen your face!”

Kibum’s jaw clenched, a tick appearing on his forehead in mild annoyance. “You are actually so immature…”

“You love it.” Jonghyun chuckled, patting his face gently to rid it of the red tint.

Kibum rolled his eyes and directed his gaze towards the front counter. “Stuff you, I’m ready to order.”

“Awh…sorry yeobo.” he apologized cutely, jutting out his bottom lip in an adorable pout.

‘Did he just call me yeobo?!’ exclaimed Kibum to himself in shock, cheeks reddening substantially. ‘I might as well die happy now.’

And if Kibum thought that Jonghyun calling him ‘yeobo’ was cute, he was in for quite the surprise when he turned his head to face the older boy. Jonghyun was giving Kibum the most adorable puppy eyes that Kibum had frankly ever seen in his entire 19 years, and at that moment the student had the strangest urge to just lean over and kiss the pout right off of Jonghyun’s lips. But he didn’t. Because Jonghyun wasn’t gay, and that would be weird.

“Uh…Um, i-it’s no big deal, really.” forgave Kibum with a stutter as casually as he could manage. Which wasn’t very casual if I might add.

“Yay! Luna!” called Jonghyun in delight, throwing his hand up as though he was still a kindergarten student.

“Coming, Jonghyun-ah!” came the belated reply, the older woman bustling out from behind the counter with a small notepad in hand.

“What can I get you two cuties?” she questioned sweetly, her bubbly personality shining through as she spoke to the two males.

“May I please have the…” began Kibum awkwardly, pulling the menu back towards him as he realised he had forgotten the name of the beverage. “…Double Chocolate Chip Crème Frappuccino?”

“Oh wow! Of course you may, hun! Did you want the large or small cup?”

“Oh. Um, just small please.”

“Certainly! And Hyun-ah…what about you?” she continued as she scribbled down the order, directing her attention towards the young singer.

“I’ll just have a standard flat white with two sugars please!” he replied happily, smiling brightly at Luna before shooting Kibum a sheepish look.

“Hey!” whined Kibum, pursing his lips and casting a dead-pan look at the older male.

“What?! I’ve been here loads of times, I don’t need anything fancy.” defended Jonghyun, waving his hands in front of his face as a nervous drop of sweat dripped down his forehead.

“You wuss.” scoffed Kibum amusingly, gaze returning back to Luna with a kind smile. “That’ll be all for today, Luna!”

“Okie dokie, kiddos! That’ll be $10.20,” she beamed, eyes flickering between the two as she awaited the cash.

Kibum began to reach into his pocket, but was abruptly stopped in his tracks as Jonghyun placed a gentle hand on his arm.

“Allow me, Kibum. I’m taking you out, after all.” he voiced kindly, reaching into his own pocket and pulling out his wallet.

“Wha- But!” argued Kibum, jaw dropped in surprise.

“No arguments! What kind of man would I be if I didn’t even pay for my date’s coffee?” contended Jonghyun, leaving no room for disagreement.

Kibum immediately covered his face with his hands, the crimson on his cheeks so bright that he could’ve sworn he resembled a tomato.

‘Date?! Aish, don’t get your hopes up Kibum. He’s just joking.’

“Well…thank you very much.” he voiced quietly, flashing the man of his affection’s a shy smile.

Jonghyun smiled brightly in return, handing the correct change over to Luna but not once breaking his gaze with the younger male.

“Any time, Kibum. Any time.”
____

A/N: Oh my gosh, I'm sorry about the wait! I've just been so busy since Christmas, but I'm back on track now :') Please enjoy!