Perfect Together

My Number One Fan

Kibum and Jonghyun’s drinks arrived shortly, and Kibum had to blink twice to make sure he wasn’t dreaming – or perhaps visually impaired.

“Is this seriously mine? How much chocolate is on this thing?!” he exclaimed, jaw dropping as he compared his beverage to Jonghyun’s.

“Trust me, Kibum…I know it looks too sweet but it’s actually so good. One sip and you’ll be hooked.” assured Jonghyun, smiling cheekily in Kibum’s direction as he pushed the younger’s drink closer to him across the smooth table surface.

Kibum rolled his eyes jokingly at Jonghyun’s immatureness, nonetheless moving the straw to his lips to take a testing sip. Despite his prior cautiousness, his eyes widened immediately as the chocolatey beverage landed on his tongue, and he couldn’t help but grin at the knowing look on Jonghyun’s face.

“Good?”

Kibum swallowed his mouthful before nodding enthusiastically, a delighted grin spreading over his cheeks. “Very good.”

“I told you so,” sang Jonghyun, a smirk resting on his lips as he took a sip from his own coffee.

Kibum scoffed at his arrogance, his wide grin still not fading in the slightest. “Whatever, Mr. Know-It-All.”

Jonghyun chuckled softly and began to tap his fingers rhythmically against the side of his cup. “Don’t act so annoyed, Kibum-ah. Let’s not forget the small fact that you are indeed a fan of mine.”

Kibum flushed, down-casting his eyes to avoid Jonghyun’s infuriating, amused look.

“But I am curious - of all the artists out there, how is it that you know all my songs…and enjoy them?”

“You’re kidding right? Now you’re just fishing for compliments,” responded Kibum, raising an incredulous eyebrow as his lips tilted up slightly at the ends.

“I’m serious!” defended Jonghyun, shooting Kibum his puppy dog eyes in hopes of receiving an honest answer.

Kibum sighed exasperatedly and shook his head softly in disbelief. “Fine. I saw the posters around town advertising, and so I came the first night you were there. I wasn’t expecting much –“

Jonghyun scoffed playfully, jaw dropped in offense. Kibum ignored it however and continued nonetheless, blush across his cheeks growingly steadily the more he spoke.

“–But when you sang it just showed that you’re different from the other artists out there. You sing with real feelings, and your songs just have these beautiful lyrics that actually mean something important and touch the people who listen to them. I think…I keep coming back every week because I merely enjoy listening to your beautiful voice, filled with emotion, sing songs that hold meanings deeper than meets the eye.”

After Kibum finished his mini speech, a strange silence rested between the two, and Kibum could feel all the blood rush to his face in pure embarrassment. He quickly diverted his eyes to stare at the drink before him, not wanting to see the look he knew would appear on Jonghyun’s face. Just as Kibum began to felt as though he would die of shame, a shaky voice knocked him out of his reverie and cut through the silent tension between them like a knife.

“Thank you.”

Kibum’s head whipped up quickly to face Jonghyun, blinking in shock at the tears that rested in the corner of the older boy’s eyes. “What?”

“Thank you so much...You really don’t know how much that means to me.”

“It’s really nothing–“ began Kibum, only to be cut off as Jonghyun continued to speak.

 “All throughout my school years, teachers and family friends couldn’t understand why I skipped classes to hang out in the music room every day. They would always tell me that music has no future. That I have to be smart to succeed. They could never accept the fact that I was never going to be intelligent…but they just kept on rubbing it in my face.” he spoke, eyebrows furrowed in anger at the thought of the teacher’s negativity and the harsh words they said to him.

“Recently I’ve been having doubts…Were the teacher’s right? After all, I haven’t gotten very far since I finished school; I thought the music industry would be easier, y’know? I keep thinking that maybe I should’ve gone to university like everyone else. Tried harder in school. But with what you just said about my music and how it affects you, I realise that maybe this hasn’t been so pointless after all. I’m doing what I always dreamed of doing…and there are indeed people who appreciate it. So thank you.”

Kibum sat in silence, taking in each and every word Jonghyun spoke with full attention. He didn’t realise that the older male had faced it so tough to be where he was today. And to still have doubts with a talent like that? It was insane. But Kibum knew what the teachers could be like, and therefore understood Jonghyun completely.

“University is overrated. People go into university and they all come out the same. With a feeling of superiority and nothing but a degree to defend themselves with. The degree merely proves that they passed a few tests and sat through a large load of lectures. Sure, it’s hard…And I do respect those who go through their whole degree because it isn’t easy. Hell, I’ll probably end up going to university. But you’re unique. You have a talent that so many people would die for. For you, it’s harder than passing a few tests. You can’t learn to love your career. And you can’t learn to sing in a way that gives people goosebumps. That’s why the teachers are wrong…you don’t have to be smart to succeed. Music does have a future.”

“Thank you Kibum…You’re seriously the best. I’d give you a hug right now but it’d be a bit awkward over the table and we can’t risk knocking over your heavenly beverage. But yeah…thank you.” spoke Jonghyun, tears no longer threatening to fall and instead a large smile spread across his face.

Kibum laughed, nodding in agreement as he pulled his drink closer to him in mock protectiveness. “You made the mood so dull, Jjong…let’s play 20 questions.”

 “Huh? Why all of a sudden?” questioned Jonghyun in shock, lifting his cup up to take a large sip now that the coffee wasn’t so hot.

“Don’t act so surprised, it’s just to get to know each other better. Do you wanna ask first?”

Jonghyun bit his lip in thought for a few seconds, before a large grin grew on his face and an excited look masked his features. “Okay. We have to start easy, so first up: what’s your favourite hobby?”

“Favourite hobby? Well um, don’t judge me, but I like to dance.” replied Kibum, a slight hue reddening his cheeks.

“Dance?! Show me!”

Kibum sputtered, looking at Jonghyun incredulously. “Show you? No way! We are in the middle of a café, if you hadn’t noticed.”

“Well yeah, I meant later.” argued Jonghyun, a small blush growing on his cheeks.

Kibum sighed in defeat. “Okay, I will if you write another song by Sunday.” agreed the younger begrudgingly, smirking smugly at the deadpan look on Jonghyun’s face.

Jonghyun’s expressionless face lightened up slightly, and he let out an amused chortle whilst shaking his head in disbelief. “You are seriously evil.”

“Thank you,” spoke Kibum sarcastically. “Evilness happens to be one of my fortes.”

Jonghyun chuckled heartily, taking one last gulp of his coffee before looking straight into Kibum’s eyes – a hint of amusement within his gaze. “Ask me now…just don’t be too evil.”

“I can’t promise anything,” laughed Kibum, bringing his fingers up to rest on his chin in thought. “Okay…Do you live alone?”

“Wow Kibum, I didn’t know you were a stalker.” grinned the older male mischievously.

“Shut up dinosaur. Answer the question.”

Jonghyun’s jaw dropped in mock offence, placing his hands over his chest as though he had been wounded. “Dinosaur? That was harsh, Kibum. And for your information, I live with my mother and sister, so I don’t live alone.”

Kibum giggled cheekily and took a large sip through his straw, cheek bones protruding cutely as he looked at Jonghyun with an innocent façade. “That’s so cute! What’s your sister’s name?”

“Nuh uh! It’s my turn to ask, ‘Bum.” argued Jonghyun, shaking his head.

“Ugh, whatever dino Jjong.” replied Kibum, rolling his eyes playfully.

“I’m not a dinosaur!”

“No, but you look like one.”

“You are very rude…and here I thought you were a sweet boy,” joked Jonghyun. “Anyway, do you like school?”

Kibum smirked cutely, if smirking cutely is even possible, and raised a questioning eyebrow in Jonghyun’s direction. “What a waste of a question, nobody likes school!”

“Well yeah, but then why go to uni?” questioned Jonghyun curiously, tilting his head to the side like a confused puppy.

“Nope, my turn. Be patient, Jjong,” scolded Kibum with a tut, wagging his finger sassily at the older boy.

“Ah, you’re such a party pooper,” sighed Jonghyun with a pout, crossing his arms over his chest much like a child.

Kibum laughed loudly at the cute display, merely shrugging his shoulders in response. “Every party needs one.”

In response Jonghyun merely laughed, and all of a sudden, much to Kibum’s surprise, he began to sing. Not a beautiful ballad, nor an upbeat pop song, but a rather stupid song that had Kibum laughing even louder than before.

“Every party needs a pooper, that’s why they invited you! Party pooper--- Party Pooper---“

“Stop, Jjong! You’re so embarrassing!” scolded Kibum in laughter, slapping the singer’s arm gently as his face flushed crimson.

“Aish Kibum…You’re seriously too cute.”

Kibum’s cheeks reddened slightly, but instead of replying to Jonghyun’s compliment he opted to change the topic and continue with his question. “That sister question isn’t really important because you’ll probably tell me anyways, so let’s go with the more juicy stuff: Who’s on your mind when you write your songs?”

Jonghyun made an ‘o’ shaped face, excited at the prospect of more scandalous questions. “Despite the fact that this is indeed a good question, I actually don’t think of anyone to be honest. I mean…I think of my dream partner in my head, but there isn’t actually someone that I know personally who inspires my songs. If that makes sense…”

Kibum nodded in understanding, pouting nonetheless. “Damn, I was hoping for some good goss…but yeah, I getcha. Just imagine, if your songs are this good now, imagine what they’ll be like when you fall in love!”

“I know right! To be honest, it probably won’t be too long from now.” nodded Jonghyun, biting his lip at the hidden meaning behind his words.

It was true - he had seen it a few days back when he was singing after he’d met Kibum. There was definitely a positive change in his singing, and Kibum was unknowingly evoking it.

“Huh? You’ve met someone?!” exclaimed Kibum, and Jonghyun didn’t miss the slight disappointment in his voice. Interesting.

Jonghyun his lips and avoided eye contact, afraid he’d give too much away if he looked Kibum in the eyes. He could only imagine Kibum’s reaction if the younger boy found out he fancied him after only a few days. He’d be disgusted!

“Well kinda…not really. They won’t like me back so, it’s alright.”

“Oh.”

“Well anyway!” spoke Jonghyun, cutting through the thick silence like a knife in attempt to change the subject. “My turn! Kibum, why do you hate school so much? And honest answers please!”

Kibum blinked a few times in surprise. He wasn’t expecting this question…why was Jonghyun so eager to know? The younger male wasn’t sure if he wanted to tell Jonghyun the full story, but he had asked for honest answers. Kibum exhaled loudly and made his decision.

“Truth to be told, I don’t have many friends. I mean, I do now…Two guys have been hanging out with me recently but before that…I just used to sit alone a whole lot. I do have some friends, but she doesn’t hang out with me at lunch so I just get a little lonely, y’know?”

A look of sympathy came over Jonghyun’s face, and Kibum awkwardly diverted his gaze to avoid the pity.

“But…you seem so out there! Why wouldn’t people wanna hang with someone as cool as you?” asked Jonghyun curiously, a gentler tone appearing in his voice as he spoke to the younger.

“Just rumours I guess.” shrugged Kibum casually, hoping to God that Jonghyun would let the topic drop. He wasn’t in the mood to talk about his depressing school life and the fact that half the student body thought he was gay. He didn’t want Jonghyun to know that.

“What about…?” the older prompted lightly, not wanting to spark a cry fest within Kibum whilst they were in the middle of a café.

“Look you’ve had your question, just drop it. Okay?!” snapped Kibum, surprising Jonghyun greatly who shut his mouth with haste.

“S-Sorry Kibum…Do you wanna ask now?” he offered awkwardly, curiosity still nipping at the back of his mind as he promised himself he’d figure it out later.

Kibum immediately felt guilty for snapping at the older boy, but couldn’t bring it within himself to apologize. “Nah, I don’t really want to play 20 questions anymore…” he muttered.

“That’s alright, it was getting a little boring anyway! Besides, I have a really good idea…there’s a beautiful park across from here we could visit and usually there’s an ice cream truck there too!” spoke Jonghyun excitedly, and Kibum was once again reminded of how immature the older could be despite their age difference.

“More cold food?! Do they sell other stuff?” questioned Kibum hopefully, only just having finished his Frappuccino and still feeling full and chilly from the chocolatey drink.

“Probably fairy floss? Maybe donuts, but who knows?” shrugged Jonghyun, sticking out his lower lip in hopes of getting Kibum to agree.

Kibum sighed in resignation, a small grin etching itself onto his face as he stood up from his chair and gestured for Jonghyun to follow suit. “Come on then, dino.”

Jonghyun practically cheered aloud before standing up with enthusiasm to lead the way to the park. “Bye Luna!” he exclaimed in farewell, Kibum having to quicken his footsteps to keep in stride with the excited singer.

They made their way out the door, and fell into a nice pace as they began the short trek to the park across the road. Kibum had noticed it after he’d gotten out of Jonghyun’s car, but he hadn’t paid attention to actually how beautiful it was. The edges of the park were covered with trees upon trees; cherry blossom trees, maple trees, oak trees, all types of trees!  And from where he was now, Kibum could see a water fountain in the middle of the luscious green grass, a tranquil and relaxing sound made by the water as it cascaded down into the pond below.

“This is really nice!” he spoke, his awe at the current sight replacing his prior sullen mood.

Jonghyun turned his head to look at Kibum, the younger boy’s hair flying backwards as the wind blew into his face softly. He couldn’t describe it…Despite the fact that this was his second time seeing the boy in person, he had feelings for the boy that he had never had for anyone else in his life. Sure, he had past girlfriends…but they sure had never made him feel like this. Then again, they weren’t as pretty as Kibum either.

“It is really nice, isn’t it?” Jonghyun responded softly, eyes not leaving Kibum’s perfect face as the younger boy took in the beautiful sight before him.

Jonghyun didn’t know why he did it. He really shouldn’t have. But before he knew it, his hand was acting of his own accord and brushing against Kibum’s gently. Kibum’s eyes widened drastically as he felt the older boy’s hand brush against his own, heart practically stopping in his chest as the gate of butterflies was opened once again.

Was Jonghyun seriously trying to hold his hand? ‘No…It must have been by accident’. Kibum stole a quick glance down to look, biting his lip nervously as he noticed that Jonghyun’s hand hadn’t moved back an inch. Moving his gaze up the elder’s arm, Kibum felt his cheeks heat up profusely as he realised that Jonghyun was also looking down at their hands. The singer looked up at Kibum with an unidentifiable look upon his face, before his lips tilted slightly at the edges in what Kibum thought was the cutest smile he had ever seen.

“Kibum-ah…my hand is cold. Friends these days hold hands, right?” he spoke quietly, and Kibum wasn’t sure whether Jonghyun was joking or not.

Was this some type of set up? After all, Jonghyun only finished school a few years back so he wouldn’t be that oblivious to what the social standard was.

“Ah…I don’t know. Maybe?” replied Kibum awkwardly, swallowing a lump in his throat as Jonghyun stared at him intently.

Jonghyun nodded slightly in an attempt to convince himself that it was true. “N-neh…I think I saw some school kids doing it recently.”

Kibum bit his lip even harder, nerves crawling up his spine as Jonghyun spoke.  “Really?” he choked out.

Jonghyun smiled widely, all of a sudden entwining their fingers softly and diverting his gaze. “Really.”

Kibum thought he would die right then and there, tingles running through his body at the small touch. A cute, reserved smile made its way onto his face, taking notice of the fact that their hands fit perfectly together.

 

A/N: Wow I'm so lazy! Thankfully, I have the next chapter planned out fully and don't have work for 5 days straight! Be expecting the next chapter soon :') Enjoy!