Rememory

Rememory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                                          Note: This chapter can be skipped and the remaining of the story will still make sense. It is off-tangent from the main story and majority of this chapter follows 15&’s Yerin instead of 15&’s Jimin.

 

               Yerin sat on the bus to the memorial service with a grim expression, she felt incredibly gloomy. The reminder of her best friend’s death left an empty feeling in her stomach, she allowed herself to become engulfed in the overwhelming sadness. She had been avoiding this for the past year but it was all finally catching up to her. She dreaded the events that were about to occur. After Hoseok’s death, she dumped Namjoon and cut all ties with the rest of the Bangtan boys. Any reminder of him nearly brought her to tears and she became unstable. She often heard that she’s like a different person now. But how could she not be? Her world was different now. She spent so long with him, to lose her best friend, her first love, her everything, broke her to pieces. As time went by, the wounds started to mend themselves and she started to rebuild herself. She would grow from this, she had to. This time, she would be stronger, more persistent, more willing and most of all, more honest. She would go after her true feelings and emotions rather then having to well on regret due to her innate fear of rejection.

               Namjoon’s eyes almost popped out of his skull when he saw her glide in, he watched as she made her way towards Hoseok’s immediate family members; Yerin sat with them like she was their daughter. He gulped down water as he stared at her from across the hall. The last time he had seen her was the funeral. The last time he spoke to her was the day after Hoseok’s death. She broke up with him through text and although he had tried reaching out to her, she changed her number and disappeared. She blocked him on all social media and it became evident she no longer wanted to keep contact with him as every time he went to her house she "wasn't home." He wanted to be there for her; he wholeheartedly understood how hard it could have been for her but she didn’t let him. This pained him and caused the other members of Bangtan to feel resentment towards Yerin, but he understood. There must have been a reason as to why it fell apart like it did. He loved her. He loved her.

               Towards the end of the service after paying their respects and lighting up incense along with preparing Hoseok’s favorite foods, it finally happened. Namjoon was approaching her. Hoseok’s immediate family members had already departed to tend to the other guests while leaving Yerin behind. Her being alone allowed Namjoon the perfect opportunity to swoop in and alas, have the talk she dreaded. Her eyes wandered to find any excuse to leave - to not have to do this, not here, not now. But he inched his way closer and closer at an unsteady pace. She made a mistake, she made eye-contact. Yerin immediately felt her stomach tighten at the sight of his miserable face. His eyes were filled with hurt and unanswered questions, matters she wanted to avoid.

               “Hey,” Namjoon calmly stated.

               “Been a while,” Yerin’s voice seemed feeble by his presence.

               “Want to go for a walk?” Namjoon asked.

               She couldn’t say no, so she followed him out of the hall. As they made their way outdoors, they brought a lot of attention to themselves from the other members of Bangtan who gave Namjoon looks of sympathy and pity.

               Yerin grew wary, she remained silent as Namjoon led the way for their walk. The weather, unlike their dispirited mood, was bright and radiant. The sunlight seeped through the trees, which left patterns of leaves on the concrete sidewalk that Yerin found herself focusing on as she walked. Like a child being reprimanded, she followed him with her head hung low. Namjoon finally broke the somber silence and said,

               “So, I heard you go to our school now?” he kicked a pebble as he walked.

               Yerin nodded but he couldn’t see it. He turned around and looked straight at her, Yerin felt her heart sink in. She tucked her hair behind her ear uncomfortably stood in place. She felt herself grow smaller at his disheartened stare. She somehow mustered up the courage and quietly muttered,

               “Although it’s not exactly the beginning of the school year, I started about a week ago.”

               Namjoon couldn’t take his eyes off her. He noticed how uneasy she was and allowed his eyes to soften. He couldn't help but grimace as she plastered on an obviously fake smile as she asked,

               “So, how are things with you?”

               They stopped moving now, he kicked the dirt under him and shrugged.

               “Fine, I guess.” He could sense that she didn't care. She was no longer the Yerin he once knew. He was growing restless at the uncertainty between them, he took a nervous gulp and rustled his hair,

               “You know… I really hate this.” Namjoon complained in an antsy manner. “Yerin, I hate this. I hate what happened to us. I hate what this did to us. I hate how you ignore me. I hate what my friends think of you because of it. I hate that everything’s changed. I hate that you’re fine,” he strained his voice with each passing syllable. “And out of all the things I hate. You know what I hate the most? I hate that I’m a coward.”

               Yerin was baffled at his sudden outburst, she felt like she had a mouth full of cotton. grew dry and she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter