002

Hua Mulan [NEW AUTHOR]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last night I saw the draft posters,

The Khan is calling many troops,

The army list is in twelve scrolls,

On every scroll there’s Father’s name.

Father has no grown‑up son,

Mulan has no elder brother.

I want to buy a saddle and horse,

And serve in the army in Father’s place.”

Mulan rose early in the morning, just at the crack of dawn. Through her open windows, sunlight began to stream through, filling the small room with a warm orange glow.

She quietly got out of bed and folded her blanket, before pulling open her dresser. She dug through the drawer, and reached towards the back of it. At last, she felt a cool, smooth surface against her fingers, and she took it out. 

She set the jar down on her bed, gently tipping the contents onto the mattress. The coins fell out of the jar, and caught the sunlight, causing the coins to gleam. Mulan looked down at her life-savings, the money that she had skipped meals for and worked from dawn to dusk for. It made her feel a little guilty, to spend it all in just one day. But it was for a worthy cause.

The coins were stringed together through the square holes. Mulan placed it into a small bag and tucked it away, under her folded blanket.

After a meagre breakfast, consisting of a small bowl of gruel, Mulan was ready to leave. But she had to say goodbye first. 

She opened the door to her father's room, and sat by his bed, holding his hand.

He opened his eyes.

"Mulan?" he asked, half-asleep.

"Morning, father. It's me, Mulan."

"Mulan-ah. Tell your mother that I want her company. Lying here alone, day after day bores me."

She smiled a little.

"Yes father."

"Now, what did you want to tell me?" he asked.

Mulan tried to hide her surprise. How did he know?

"I just wanted to say goodbye."

"Ah, I see. Goodbye then, my daughter. I'll see you again tonight."

No you won't.

"Goodbye."

She bent over to peck him on his cheek, before exiting the room.

As she closed the door, she looked at her father one last time.

I love you, father. Even if I don't come back, you know that I love you, right?

 

By late morning, Mulan had left the village gates.

She had been walking in the direct sunlight for so long, and sweat was pooling down her neck. Every so often, a carriage would zoom past her and in an instant, it would be gone. 

As she trudged through the dirt, she was oblivious to the sound of footsteps until the figure was right by her side.

She whipped around, and saw a young man. He had soft features and a round face. His eyes were bright and his expression was soft.

"What is a fine maiden like you doing out here all alone?" he questioned.

She almost laughed at the title.

"I am heading towards the next village,"she lied. "There is a particular merchant who has just arrived there to trade his wares."

"So am I! We must walk together," he exclaimed, hooking his arm through hers.

Mulan tried

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter