Chapter 3

Blind Steps (Please Look Back)

Seulgi

 

“Aaaahhhhhhh!!!!~~~~ You’re so pretty Yuri unnie! The gown fits you perfectly!” Joy exclaimed as we all looked at Yuri unnie with awe, jaw – dropped.

 

I’m with Irene unnie, Wendy unnie, Joy, Jessica unnie, Hyoyeon unnie, and Seohyun unnie. We are here on a wedding boutique to look for unnie’s wedding gown and the dress for us to wear.

 

As we look at Yuri unnie, her expression is between shy and happy.

 

“Yah Sooyoung, keep it low.” She said as she touches the gown she’s wearing. Then she looks at us again, “How do I look? Do you think Jongwoon will like this?”

 

We all nodded. She really looks beautiful. Seohyun unnie stands and went to hug Yuri unnie, “I’m sure Yesung oppa will love it. He will definitely fall in love with you again.” Then she looks at us with a big smile,” Right, unnies? Besides, you’re supposed to be the most beautiful woman at your wedding. Everyone will love the way you look.” She said as looks at Yuri unnie, hugging her right arm. We all laugh at that. That is actually a weird sign that she’s hungry.

 

Yuri laughed softly as she pat Seohyun unnie’s head, “Arrasso, wait for me to get changed then we will go eat lunch.” Seohyun nodded and went back to sit with us. As we wait for unnie, a ringtone is heard. We all looked at Irene unnie. She raised her eyebrows, ‘What?’

 

“It’s yours, Juhyun.” Hyoyeon unnie said, pointing at her pocket. “Ah! I’m sorry.” She said as she takes the call. As she talks, we saw her cheeks blush. We looked at each other and smiled knowingly. It’s Suho oppa, unnie’s boyfriend. He kind of reminds me of a real guardian angel, you know, with the way he speaks.

 

“Ah, arrasso. It’s fine really. Omoni would understand. Okay, I love you. Bye.” She put her back into her pocket and looked at us. “Waeyo?” we all have this smug look on our faces and Joy can’t help but laugh out loud, clutching her stomach. And we can’t help but laugh, too. Even Seohyun unnie. Making Irene unnie blush like mad and hit us on the arms.

 

“Yah! Jinjja, stop it! Aish! Yah! Yeorobun!” We’re laughing so much that we didn’t noticed Yuri unnie already came back. She went near us and looked at us like we are going crazy, “Yah. You guys are so noisy. What’s going on? What’s with Irene?” we looked at each other and can’t help but laugh again. Hyoyeon unnie grabbed her cellphone and imitated Irene unnie’s conversation with Suho oppa.

 

“Arraso, It’s fine really. Omoni would understand. I love you. Bye.” She speaks in a small voice. Exaggerating the expressions. We laughed louder, now with Yuri unnie, while Irene unnie bow down her head in shame with a red face.

 

We’re so evil ^^v

 

Jessica unnie is the first one to calm down from laughing. Although she still has that teasing smile. “Okay. Stop it guys. Our little Juhyun is already flushed.” She said while patting Irene unnie’s back. Irene unnie looked at us with a pout. Wendy gave a sour face, “Unnie, remove that pout on your face. It disgusts me.” Making us laugh.

 

With that, Wendy unnie receives another hit.

 

---x---x---x---

 

“Seohyun-ah, you’re graduating this year, right? But of course, with flying colors! This is exciting, Seobaby is graduating already! I feel like a mom.” Yuri unnie said with a dreamy expression while wiping fake tears. We are here on a buffet, eating our lunch. Yes, buffet because we all eat like pregnant women.

 

Hyo unnie smack her head, “Unnie, don’t even start with your weird speeches. The last time you did that, it literally freaked everyone out. I wonder how Yesung oppa put up with you.” Yuri unnie pouted, “Stop that. Jongwoon loves me.” Hyoyeon unnie smirked, “You courted him first, right? Eversince you were little kids. You keep bugging him. You looked like a stalker.” She said then laugh loudly.

 

That’s true, though. Yuri courted Yesung oppa first. From what I know, she’s like Joy with Sehun. But more. She really sounds like a stalker.

 

They’re love story is quite a fantasy. You know, those kinds of stories you see on books and TV series. They almost lost it. Yesung oppa almost lost it. It’s true that Yuri unnie courted Yesung oppa since they were kids.

 

*Flashback*

 

 She keeps telling him that she likes him. Even as far as getting married with him. She gives him letters, following him everytime, even after school. Yep, she’s a total stalker. Yesung oppa, he ignores her. He doesn’t like loud people. Besides, he’s one hell of a student. A genius. Nothing is hard for him and only hangs out with people same as his wit. Yuri is smart, too. Not just as smart as him. So Yuri unnie keeps on following him, declaring her love for him every day.

 

 One time, we got the shock of our lives. We received a news that Yuri unnie and Yesung oppa are getting married. Their parents are both business partners and high school friends. So they decided that the two gets married. Yesung oppa is so mad he became colder than he already is. Yuri unnie is happy. It seems to me that Yesung oppa’s reaction doesn’t matter to her. She’s getting married to the man of her dreams. That is. Her obsession with Yesung oppa is unhealthy. But Yuri unnie sadi,

 

“I know what I’m doing. He’s hurting me emotionally. Giving glares and calling me names. But I love him. I’ve been loving him for a long time now, loving him for years already. I love him so much it hurts if I turn up now. But don’t worry. When the time comes that I know I cannot take it anymore, I’ll stop. I won’t bother him anymore.”

 

And that as she said, did happen. The wedding happened and Yuri unnie had always been happy. She keeps calling oppa her husband. That made Yesung oppa really mad. He’s not even wearing their wedding ring which made unnie sad. Yesung oppa has been shaming her at school, burning the letters she made for him, calling her stupid and letting her getting bullied at school. And so much more. We are getting worried for Yuri unnie already. We already told her to stop, but she keeps saying, ‘not yet...’ and she takes all of that every single day.

 

Until one day, Yuri unnie and Yesung oppa’s father go out together. Yuri unnie said they will buy a birthday cake for Yesung oppa’s birthday. So they went shopping and bought a cake with Yuri unnie’s choosing. As they drive home, Yesung oppa’s father got distracted for just a millisecond.

 

Just a millisecond.

 

*BBOOGGGSSSSSHHHHH*

 

Their car turned upside down. Crashed windows, and a couple of flames everywhere around the car. The people within the accident area immediately called for an ambulance. After they came, they had a hard time removing Yuri unnie’s body because she seems to be hovering over uncle’s body.

 

When they were rushed into the hospital, they called us and told what has happened. All of us arrived at the hospital and this accident is not a very good thing. The doctor operating uncle’s body told us that he’s critical and Yuri unnie is being transferred to a room already. Yesung immediately run for unnie’s room. We followed him because he looks furious and he might do something to unnie.

 

When he’s inside, it’s like he’s seeing all red because he went straight to unnie’s bed and gripped her arms, not caring about her own injuries. Yesung oppa’s eyes were red from rage and his breath is ragged.

 

“You… this is all your fault! This accident happened because of you! Ever since you came into this family, you brought nothing but trouble. You’re annoying, you know that? You keep following me around. That’s stupid. You’re stupid. I thought you’re smart? Can’t use your brain now, huh?” he smirked. “If there’s anything, and I mean anything, happens to my father, it’s you to blame.” He stands up and head for the door, but before he left, he looked back at Yuri unnie again,

 

“And if there is someone to die here, it should be you.” And then he left.

 

---x---x---x---

 

Two weeks have passed after that. And in that two weeks, uncle has been staying in the ICU. Yuri is in coma, too. We heard what Yesung oppa said and it made Hyoyeon unnie very mad.

 

“You’re stupid Jongwoon! It was not Yuri’s fault all of this happened! It’s an accident so stop blaming her! They are both here in the hospital, Jongwoon. They are both unconscious. We don’t even know when will they wake up. You know what the doctor told me?” unnie’s eyes were already red from crying and shouting at oppa. Jessica unnie and Seohyun unnie are holding back Hyoyeon unnie from running to Yesung oppa.

 

Unnie looked at him in the eyes. His face still blank.

 

“That there’s only a little chance that she will live. Her injuries are too severe. That – “

 

Yesung oppa turned his back to us and said, “I don’t care.” And started walking away when Seohyun unnie speak.

 

“Oppa, why do you keep pretending that you hate Yuri unnie?” she said in a soft voice that stopped Yesung oppa from walking, his back facing us. “We both know that you like her,” Seohyun looked at Yesung oppa with a sad face. “For as long as she liked you. Maybe even love her. Why oppa? Why?” I was shocked at what I heard.

 

He likes Yuri unnie, too? But why do those things to her? Why hurt her?

 

But Yesung oppa didn’t speak and started walking again. Hyoyeon unnie broke down and cried. Jessica unnie brought to the benches and sat her there. Joy, Wendy unnie and I just sat at the opposite side. We’re too shocked. I glanced at the place where Yesung oppa stood a while ago. I don’t understand oppa. Maybe he just can’t accept that he likes Yuri unnie, too and denying it to himself.

 

It’s evening when we are all at unlce’s room. Auntie told us to have our dinner there with them. There’s Yesung oppa, too at the corner. Reading a book, acting like nothing happened. The room was just silent when we heard a raspy voice.

 

“W…wate…water…” we all looked up and saw uncle awake. Auntie gasped and went to hug uncle. Yesung oppa run outside and called the doctor. They rushed inside and they examined uncle. They give him water, too. The doctor smiled at us, “Mr. Kim is okay now that he’s awake. He just needs to stay here for a few additional exams.” All of us smiled widely and some of us even have tears of joy.

 

“Thank you, doctor.” Yesung oppa said. The doctor nodded and left.

 

“Yeobo, are okay now? Can you speak?” auntie asked uncle. He looked us and asked, “Yuri-ah, how is she? I want to see her.”

 

Auntie awkwardly smiled at him, “Yeobo, you need to rest first. You’re still healing. Besides, Yuri-ah is still sleeping. You can talk to her soon.” But uncle shook his head, “No, I need to talk to her now. Jongwoon please.” He looked at Yesung oppa. Yesung oppa frowned, “Why?”

 

Uncle became teary eyed when he spoke, “I need to thank her for saving my life.”

 

We all got shocked at what he said. Save? 

 

Seo unnie stood up and went near uncle, “Uncle, what do you mean? How?”

 

Uncle looked at us and started talking, “It was all my fault. I’m actually playing with the stirring wheel while driving. Yuri keeps saying that I should stop because we might get into an accident. And we did. I didn’t listen to her. I got distracted. But before we hit the truck, she pulled me aside and covered me with her body. The stirring wheel hit her back and shoulders. The impact was so hard I even thought I heard her bones cracking.” He told us while tears falling from his eyes. He looked up at Yesung oppa, “I’m sorry Jongwoon. I’m really sorry for doing this to your wife. I never thought it will lead to this.”

 

Yesung oppa’s eyes widened at his father’s story. He rapidly blinks his eyes, not believing what he heard. His body is shaking, his fist clenched. 

 

We all got shocked when Joy burst inside the room looking scared and breathing heavily. She looked at Yesung oppa with her hand on her chest.

 

“Oppa,” Yesung looked at her with a frown, looking tensed.

 

 

 

“Yuri unnie… she’s missing.”