Chapter 9

Blind Steps (Please Look Back)

 

Jongin 

 

"Sehun-ah?" I called his name again and this time, he turned. His face blank. I frowned, "Are you okay? What's wrong with Joy's letter today?"

 

Yes. Sehun and I know that it was Joy who's sending the letters to him. The girl's persistent. Always talking to Sehun even though he doesn't talk back. Even without telling me, I know my friend has a special place in his heart for Sooyoung, or Joy, for most people. He may not like her like that, yet. Almost there. But I know for sure that Sehun keeps an eye on her. The letter is signed by secret admirer (which we know as Joy now). We caught her once, putting the green letter inside. She did it so quiet it was cute. I even saw Sehun with the tiniest smile in his face. He just let her do what she wanted. Sehun doesn't like secret admirers. But Joy is definitely an exception. 

 

So what's wrong now? The letters are always colored green. Always. What does the color black means?

 

Then an idea strucked me. But said idea was so ridiculous and impossible that I find it hard to believe. And Sehun's gonna kill me. 

 

"Sehun-ah, did Joy found another crush?" 

 

*BOOGS*

Oh dear lord. Joy better have a good explanation on this. I've never seen Sehun so mad before. And I'm afraid now. He looks so scary. But wait a minute... how is Joy gonna explain if she doesn't even know that we know it's her? Wait. I'm so stupid. I gulped and asked Sehun again. 

 

"What did the letter said, Sehun-ah?" 

 

He just gripped the letter harder then keep it inside his pocket. I was surprised when he just turned and walk towards the classroom. If it is true that Joy is replacing Sehun, what's going to happen now? 

 

Is that even possible? 

---X---X---X--- 

When I entered the class, I spotted Joy sitting and seemingly doodling on her notebook. Her head, down. She didn't even glance when Sehun sat at his seat. And she sat far, too. I took the seat beside her, and tapped her shoulders. She froze and hesitantly look at me. 

 

I smiled at her, "Hello Sooyoung." I frowned when she just nodded then go back to whatever she's doing. My eyes looked up to Sehun to see him staring at her openly. He never does that. 

 

The class went quickly. While I'm fixing my things, I saw Seulgi waiting for Joy outside the room. Maybe I can ask her. I ran towards her and she smiles when she saw me, giving a little wave. 

 

"Hey, Seulgi. You're waiting for someone?" 

 

She nodded. "I was actually waiting for Jo-" she suddenly stopped then glanced quickly over my shoulder. "-for you! Yes yes, you! Jongin! I mean, I want to treat you to lunch. Yeah, that." She return her gaze at me while laughing nervously. I knew she was lying. She's waiting for Joy not me. 

 

I was about to answer her when someone called me. "Yah Jongin. You getting lunch already?" It was Sehun. I nodded, "Can Seulgi come? She's treating me lunch." Seulgi turned to me with wide eyes. 

 

Your fault, missy. 

 

Sehun just looked at Seulgi and over her shoulders. When he didn't find whatever he's looking for, he just frowned and walk towards the cafeteria. We followed him quietly. Seulgi tapped my shoulders, "Is he mad?" 

 

I chuckled, "Yeah. But not on you. He's been like that ever since this morning." 

 

"Why? What happened?"

 

Okay. Should I tell her? 

 

Yes. No... maybe? 

 

Yes. I'm going to tell her. 

 

But not now. Later at dismissal. Sehun can't hear what I'm gonna say. 

 

---X---X---X---

 

As we settle at the cafeteria, I pulled Seulgi so she can pay the food I want *smirk* Ah, there it is, chicken. I look at her and points to the chickens. "I want those. Many chickens." I said with a wide grin.  She just pouted and proceed on buying for 3 people. 2 for me and 1 for her. "Aren't we gonna buy for your friend?" 

 

"Naahh, Sehun can take care of himself." We look for a vacant table and saw Sehun waiting for us already. We sat down and tried to eat. I can already feel the awkwardness around us. 

 

"Seulgi-ssi, aren't you supposed to spend lunch with Sooyoung?" 

 

Seulgi was shock she choked on her food. She kept patting her chest as I give her water. When she calm down, she awkwardly looked at Sehun. "Yeah, we're supposed to have lunch together. But Joy pulled out last minute so I dragged this kid here instead." I started complaining about her calling me a kid but she just put her hands on my mouth. 

 

I froze. And so did she.

 

*ba-dump *ba-dump 

 

We're just looking at each other. What's happening to me? I can't move. 

 

Sehun cleared his and we turned to him. He raised an eyebrow and looked, if he wasn't affected by this problem with his Joy, smug and amused. He turned to Seulgi again, whose face is so red she will shame a cherry. 

 

"So you know where Sooyoung is?" 

 

Seulgi, still looking down, shook her head.

 

"You know why she's avoiding me, then?" 

 

 

Then she snapped her and looked at Sehun, her red face drained and became pale white. I saw anger pass her eyes before she cleared it away. But she nodded, "Yes, I know why." 

 

I know Sehun my whole life. But this is the first time I saw sadness in his eyes. His face devoid of any emotions except the eyes. He's hurt. 

 

'Would you tell me why?" Seulgi shooked her head again, "I'm sorry, no." 

 

Sehun heaved a big sigh and nodded. He stood up and started walking away. His body looked tense while walking. 

 

I looked at Seulgi and she was looking after Sehun, too. 

 

"What did my friend do, Seulgi?" I asked, can't hide my worry now. Seulgi just looked at me sadly and shook her head. 

 

What did you do now, Sehun? 

 

---X---X---X---

Joy 

 

(This happened the same time as Kai and Seulgi's hang out) 

 

I'm buying more green envelopes for Sehun oppa. Should I buy the scented ones this time? But he may not like it. Okay okay not that. I should stick to color green though. That's my favorite. 

 

I was done with my little shopping when I saw Sehun oppa. There's something wrong with his steps. Is he drunk? I was worried so I walk towards him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Oppa, wait- watch your steps. Are you drunk?" I asked him while pulling him aside. He can't even walk straight! 

 

He looked at my face for a while and recognition filled his eyes. "Joy?" He was slurring his words. My heart skipped a bit when he said my name. I can't help but smile and was about to answer when he spoke again and slapped away my hands from him. My eyes went wide and my chest felt like it was punched. What did I do? I tried to reach out to him again but he just avoided it and stepped back. I can feel my eyes stinging. 

 

"What are you doing?! Don't touch me! Why are you even here? Did you follow me? , can't a guy get some peace?!" 

 

I shook my head, "No, oppa. I was-"

 

"You know, I've always felt disgusted with people like you. Don't you have better things to do than follow me? You keep talking to me it was irritating. You're the one putting those letters in my locker, right? Pathetic. I knew it. You're just a petty stalker, Park Sooyoung. Stop dreaming I will ever like you. You're just like the rest of them. Disgusting." 

 

His words felt like knives repeatedly stabbing my heart. I can't even stop my tears from falling. I was openly sobbing now. Not caring if people see. Sehun oppa just fell asleep on the bench. Clearly wasted. Unaware of my breaking heart falling into my feet. 

 

A while passed, I was just staring at him. My crying toned down to hiccups and silent tears. I slowly walked towards him and put my hand on his cheek. I felt my tears falling harder again and I was sobbing again. It hurts, Sehun oppa. It hurts. I leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his temple while my tears continue to fall. 

 

"I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry." 

---X---X---X---