First Day Together

We're A Sub-Unit Now
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Half the meeting room is filled with JYP staff and the remaining half with SM staff.

"Before we talk about the details and whatnot, I want to just let you two know why JYP and SM picked the two of you for a sub-unit." one of the JYP staff, started to say. Jaebum and Seulgi nods at her. The staff continues, "You also need to understand that the two of you will remain as a sub-unit, it's not some one-time collaboration project and bye-bye-i'll-never-perform-with-you-again. So that being said, there were a few reasons why the two of you were picked. First of all, at JYP, we wanted to have a male-female duo that consists of Jaebum."

A few more nods in the room and the staff faces Jaebum and continues, "Jaebum, u were picked because first of all among GOT7 and DAY6, you fit that image that we have in mind. We considered your vocal and dance abilities, your stage prescence and overall vibe and charm and picked you for this cold, dark and y concept."

Jaebum bows his head a little and says, "Nde, thank you so much."

The staff nods back and continues, "You were also picked because your dating contract is over. Now normally companies pick those with dating prohibitions to prevent unwanted scandals. We picked you, someone whose dating prohibition ended already, because we want that hype and yes... also to give you exposure and experience with girls, haha. It's good publicity and also good for music with all the experience you'll get. Yes, fans will speculate, but we'll be here for damage control. Among GOT7 and DAY6 the only one whose dating prohibition ended would be you and Jinyoung but we picked you because you suit this more."

Jaebum laughs a little, embarrassed, about the 'experience with girls' part because really, he is soooo awkward with girls. Yes, you've seen drool-worthy photos of him with his tongue out (rude rude rude rude rude rude rude rude) and the way he gazes at fans and all, but you have NO IDEA how hard he is trying because he really is super awkward. Heck, he even found the idea of patting a fan's head impolite. Sigh, alright then...

Seulgi laughs awkwardly too as she waits for the staff to continue.

"So, originally, we wanted to pick a TWICE member but really, they don't seem to fit that image we want to have. And since they only debutted last year, it may be a bit too much. So we thought about collaborating with the other companies, mainly either YG, SM or CUBE. We chose not to go with YG, who had also declined, because the girls just debutted this year 2016 in april, so it's like about 2 months since their debut, so nope, that's too much if we're pushing to debut this sub-unit at MAMA at the end of the year. We checked with CUBE as well, but they declined because they already have Trouble Maker, and pushing out one of the CLC girls who, like TWICE, debutted last year in 2015 wouldn't be a good idea. Originally we did think that one of the CLC's Seunghee-ssi would fit but after more thought, maybe not. Then we checked with SM. For SM, we picked Seulgi-ssi here because of that vibe she gives out and that charisma. The two of you would make a very visually appealing couple with that similar aura. Plus, we're aiming for good vocals and good dance skills, which Seulgi has. So we spoke to SM and after some thought they agreed as well, and here you two are now."

More nods in the room and Seulgi mutters a soft 'thank you'. The staff from SM's side spoke up. "We thought a lot about it and we felt that Seulgi can portray and deliver that very well with her stage prescence and her skills. And also, Seulgi's dating prohibition has ended along with Irene's. Seulgi because it's her 9th year in SM already so she deserves it and Irene because of her age, we don't want to hold her back for long. But anyway, it would be good publicity for both the GOT7 boys and our Red Velvet." Another SM staff adds on with a laugh, "Who knows? Without their dating prohibitions, sparks may fly~"

Jaebum and Seulgi laugh awkwardly, fidgeting in their seats a little as the whole room burst into laughter. Damn, it feels more like a matchmaking session. Jaebum sneaks a quick glance at Seulgi, and actually got caught by his manager who sat across him at the table. His manager smirks at him and Jaebum quickly avoids his eye contact. He swore he heard his manager snigger.

"But anyway," the first SM staff continues once the laughter died down, "The two of you would have to travel between JYP and SM alot for recording and practices and may get caught a few times. Because fans have no idea what's going on, dating rumours might start to appear so be prepared for that. But that aside, we want you two to be part of the process as much as possible. You will join the producers and composers in music production, we hope that you'll help as much with the arrangement and lyrics. Choreography wise as well, you'll work with the choreographers. JYP and SM are going all out on this sub-unit. Our staffs will all be working together so co-operate with us, okay?"

"Nde." the two of them replied in unision and the staff nods back at them.

"Okay so this would be our schedule..." a JYP staff now brings everyone's attention to the schedule plannero on the board. "We will work on music from now till here and then from here till there we will be..."

The meeting continues on with everyone in serious work mode. The new duo gives their opinions from time to time, both opening up their own personal schedule to ensure that everything fits nicely with the help of their managers.

The meeting ends at near dinnertime. "Thank you for your hardwork!!" Jaebum and Seulgi greets and bows multiple times as they wait for the staff to exit the meeting room first. Good kids with manners. Seulgi's manager has to sort out the schedule (shift around certain photoshoots, appearance, contact the necessary people, etc. all 7 managers of Red Velvet - one personal manager per member and 2 group managers - have to come together and sort it all out) and returns to the company first, after making sure that Jaebum would drop Seulgi at her dorm with his staff and van later.

"Wanna grab dinner?" Jaebum asks, once all the staff left and they're alone in the meeting room (Jaebum's manager told him to give him a call when they're leaving for Seulgi's dorm). Seulgi stretches her arms and yawns a little, before smiling at him and replying, "Yeah sure. But is the cafeteria still open now?" "No, I guess we'll call in food, we can't go out together alone now." "Hmm okay then!" "We can eat in my practice room." "Okay!"

About 5 minutes later, the duo are in the practice room with Jaebum's GOT7 brothers fussing over them.

"Noona have you eaten?" BamBam and Yugyeom asks amd Seulgi smiles, replying, "Ah no, but we're calling in takeaway. Have you guys eaten?"

"No we haven't." Youngjae cuts in and the maknaes exclaim, "Can we eat together?!" Jaebum mentally facepalms himself. "I'm okay with that." Seulgi smiles and turns back to face Jaebum, "Oppa, shall we all eat together?"

"H-huh?" Jaebum snaps out of daze and looks at her, Kang Seulgi with that die-for eyesmile. "Oppa" BamBam repeats quietly and tries to hide his laughter but he's pretty sure Jaebum caught him. "Can we eat together?" Seulgi repeats her question and Jaebum quickly replies, "Yeah of course. They're my members so it's really up to you, haha." "Oh okay then, I don't see why not?" Seulgi smiles at him beautifully and he swears his heart fluttered.

"I'm only treating Seulgi, all you pay for your own food!" Jaebum shouts, pointing to s as he walks over to them. Seulgi burst out laughing. "It's okay, oppa! I can just pay for my own." "But you're at JYP." "But you treated me just now! Jinjja it's okay." Jaebum sighs and says, "Alright, up to you then." He smiles and she smiles too.

They ordered Chinese takeaway. And after about 20 minutes of just chilling and chatting around, the food arrives. The gaurd calls Jaebum and he leaves with Mark and Jackson and the collected money to take the food. The 4 youngest members of GOT7 busied themselves by taking a bunch of selcas with Seulgi. Glam selca, derp selcas, weird selcas. They took a whole bunch. Jinyoung then decides to sabotage Mark. "Seulgi-ssi," He starts to say and Seulgi turns to face him. "Yeah?" She asks and he replies, "GOT7 are generally a fan of Red Velvet. We're huge fanboys. But we have a member who really really really really likes Wendy-ssi."

Seulgi laughs. She roughly knows what they're talking about. The girls saw fancams before. "Who's that?" She asks. "Mark." Jinyoung tells her and Seulgi laughs, making a mental note to when she gets back.

A few minutes passed and the 3 guys are back with bags of plastic containers with food inside. They pass the food out and Jaebum hands Seulgi her box of fried rice. Her hands touch his by accident and her heart starts thumping wildly. Play it cool, Seulgi, play it cool. She avoids looking at him and decides to occupy herself by helping to give out the utensils, which is another bad mistake because both Jaebum and her reaches for the set of utensils. Jaebum awkwardly tells her, "Er I-I'll pass it out." Seulgi nods a little and sits back down, still avoiding to look at him and occupying herself by studying the contents of her food. Jackson smirks at Jaebum when he passes him a pair of chopsticks and Jaebum ignores him, passing out the utensils to Youngjae who also smirked at him. Do not get angry, Jaebum, I repeat, do not get angry, do not. STAY COOL.

They ate and chat at the same time, everyone laughing once in awhile, when suddenly Jackson suggests, "You two should try dancing together. Troublemaker, any of those."

"Right now?" Seulgi asks surprised. Jaebum looks at Jackson, surprised too. Jinyoung laughs and Mark says, "Practice for you two and entertainment for us." Jaebum glances at Seulgi awkwardly and she blinks at him, still surprised. Trying to be serious, she asks Jaebum, "What songs do you know?" "Er," Jaebum starts to think, "I know Troublemaker's songs. " Seulgi nods and says that she knows Troublemaker's too. Youngjae butts in and exclaims, "There is no tomorrow! There is no tomorrow!", telling them to perform Troublemaker's 2013 hit song 'There Is No Tomorrow'.

Everyone moves backwards to create space as the duo gets up on their feet. Jackson starts playing the song on his phone and the boys cheer loudly. Jaebum and Seulgi glances awkwardly at each other. The chorus plays and they start to dance, hearts beating wildly. It was funny. They've never danced together and it was awkward. But seconds into the chorus, the awkwardness melts away and the distance between them closes up that when they s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter