Venice streets

Fate has other plans

Soonyoung and Wonwoo walked slowly to their destination. The dance studio was only fifteen minutes away, so they took their time. Wonwoo could see that there was something on Soonyoung’s mind. He didn’t like seeing him so troubled, even if it was about something so minor as a little crush, but he had known Soonyoung for a long time and he was practically like his brother.

“What’s going on in there,” Wonwoo said as he tapped Soonyoung on the side of his head.

“Maybe I should just give up you know,” replied Soonyoung.

“What happened to your self-assurance just minutes ago, huh,” said Wonwoo.

“I’m older then him. He’ll probably be grossed out If I ask him out.”

Wonwoo laughed at that statement. “Hoshi, you’re talking as if we’re fifty-years-old. You’re two years older than him, what do you mean he’ll be grossed out,” he said as he stepped aside to let a group of children pass by.

“But still, most guys don’t like going out with people who are older than them and who are guys as well,” he said as he approached the dance studio’s front door.

“And who told you that? you never know if you don’t at least try,” he said as he waited for Soonyoung to take the keys out.

“But that’s the thing, I mean you saw me back there. I couldn’t even get within a few inches of him before I bailed.” He sighed as he unlocked the doors to the studio and both of them entered.

“I don’t know, maybe you’ll get your chance one day, eh?” said Wonwoo.

“Yeah right… Anyway you get to work the counter today,” Soonyoung said as he tried to change the conversation.

“Yea, yeah, then that means you have to finish sorting out the inventory,” replied Wonwoo while Soonyoung headed to the back room where they kept all of their items, which wasn’t much. Soonyoung looked around the storage room before he went right to work. He liked his job at the studio, he did what he loved and that was dancing. He also got to teach others how to dance as well and he loved it.

Ring

The bell signaled that a customer had walked in,  but since Wonwoo was already in front, he didn’t bother to go check who it was. “Hello, how can I help you,” he heard Wonwoo say. He chuckled, normally he would be at the counter, but they took turns every once in awhile. He went back to sorting out all the boxes. Working here was really a privilege for Soonyoung. Not only did he have a job that payed for his college tuition, but he also enjoyed every second of it. Not many people have a job that involves their interests and Soonyoung was glad that he had the opportunity to do so.

He was interrupted from his thoughts by Wonwoo. “Hoshi, come over here,” he heard the other say.

“Why?” he questioned. He really didn’t want to get up from the floor, he had already made himself comfortable.

“Hoshi, come on, get over here,” repeated Wonwoo with a louder voice. His voice held a tone that he couldn’t quite place. He knew what Wonwoo wanted now; He wanted Soonyoung to fix that god damn drain pipe that had been busted from last week’s raining.

“If it’s about that drain pipe,” he began as he got up and made his way to the front of the studio.

“Then I’ve already told you before Wonwoo. I’m not a plumber, so no, I can’t f—” he stopped mid-sentence. His eyes went wide when he saw who it was that was with Wonwoo.

“fix that,” he finished. ‘Holy ’ he thought. Out of all the people who could have dropped by the studio, it was the very Choi Hansol who had made his way into the store.

“Hoshi,” began Wonwoo.

“This is Hansol. Hansol, this is Hoshi,” he finished.

“Hoshi?” said Hansol in an amused tone.

“Yeah, uh my name’s Soonyoung, but everyone calls me Hoshi,” he said trying to keep his cool.

“Anyway,” said Wonwoo once again. “Hansol is a rapper,” he said as if Soonyoung didn’t know this already.

“He’s just finished this song, which he has to perform and he needs a choreographer,” he finished trying to keep himself from laughing. Soonyoung’s face looked priceless at the moment. If only he had a camera.

“So…” said Soonyoung. His mind was too preoccupied at the sight of Hansol to catch up with the situation.

“So, you are going to be his choreographer,” he finished as if it was the simplest thing in the world. Meanwhile, Soonyoung’s mind was going in circles. Now he knew what was happening. He was feeling a mix of emotions. He was happy, but scared, but also ecstatic, but also terrified.

“O-okay,” he said as he cursed himself for stuttering.

“Okay,” replied Wonwoo. “So you handle him and I’m just gonna go do inventory then, “he finished as he briskly left to the back room.

He was going to murder Wonwoo, but right now he had to deal with the problem at hand and that was how to manage not to faint at the moment.

Hansol turned to look at Soonyoung. “Hi,” he said.

“Hello.” really? Hello, that's all I could muster? he thought inwardly.

“Soonyoung right?”  

Soonyoung nodded. “Hey, I’ve seen you before. I've seen you around school and you l-”

“You’ve noticed me,” Soonyoung whispered, he was unaware that he said it loudly.

“What was that?”

“Oh nothing, Do you have the song with you?” he said trying to cover what he had said.

“Yeah, it’s right here,” said Hansol as he gave Soonyoung the cd.

“Okay, so when’s the performance?” he asked as he mentally congratulated himself for not stuttering. He took out a notebook and a pen and began to write.

“it’s in a month, on december 7” he replied. Good that was good, he could work with that. He scribbled down the date and Hansol's name. He stared at the notebook, while he calculated the time it would take to get the dance done. He almost forgot that Hansol was there, almost. When he was at work, he tried his best to be professional, but with Hansol right in front of him it was kind of hard to do so.

“It’s probably going to take me a few days to get the movements down, but um since you personally um wrote the song, I uh think it best for me to work on the movements and then we can um work together to add or change a few things that you um think would benefit your performance,” he said, so for speaking professionally.

“Yeah that’s perfect  thanks. You’re a lifesaver,” said Hansol, as he flashed Soonyoung a bright smile. Hansol was unaware of how his smile made him feel.

“No problem. It’s my job hehe,” he laughed nervously.

“So, do you want my number.” Soonyoung’s head snapped up “Huh?” ‘damn,’ he thought. Could it be that he was on to him?

“To contact me, so we can set up a date to meet,” said Hansol eyeing Soonyoung weirdly.

“Oh right, right… yeah.” Hansol handed him his phone so he could put down his number. Soonyoung didn’t notice how bad his hands were shaking. Why was he so nervous? What happened to the whole giving up on him?

“There you go,” he said as he gave back Hansol’s phone, their hands touched briefly when he suddenly yanked his hand back. Hansol continued eye him weirdly.

“Okay, I’ll let you know when I’ve got the choreography,” he said. Once he said goodbye to Hansol, he ran to the storage room, once the other was out of site.

Soonyoung smacked Wonwoo with a newspaper “Ouch what the hell,” he whined.

“What was that for?” he asked while rubbing his head.

“You, you did that on purpose. You could have given me a heads up, but nooooo you just threw me head first into the water,” he said waving his arms frantically.

“Hey, you should be thanking me. I gave you an opportunity to spend some time with him. Isn’t that what you wanted?” he asked as he finished inventory and they both headed to the front of the studio.

“Ugh, you don’t get it. I was supposed to get on with my life, but how can I do that now that I have to spend weeks with him now?” he knows he’s being irrational, but he was really freaking out at the moment.

“Just be yourself. Everything will be fine, you’ll see,” said Wonwoo as he was back behind the counter.

The rest of the time was spent working with other customers. Minghao and Junhui, who were also employees, helped Soonyoung teach little children how to dance to hip hop, which was quite adorable to watch. At the end of their shift, when all the customers had left, which was around eight at night, they settled besides the counter to talk about their day.

“Anything new?” asked Junhui.

“Not much, other than the fact that Hoshi’s gonna be Hansol’s choreographer,” said Wonwoo.

“What?! You mean Soonyoung’s gonna get to teach Hansol how to dance, way to go,” said Minghao as they all cheered for him.

“You guys,” whined Soonyoung. “I’m supposed to be getting over him, not make my feelings grow by spending time with him,” he finished

“That’s what you said last week though,” Minghao said as he rolled his eyes at Soonyoung.

“And the week before that,” Junhui added.

“And the week—“

“Okay, okay I get it. I’ve said this before, but I meant it this time.”

“You know, maybe it’s fate?” said Wonwoo.

“Yeah, like in those romance movies,” said Minghao.  Now it was Soonyoung’s turn to roll his eyes.

“This is not a romance movie, and this is not fate,” he said as the two boys got their belongings and to their dorms. Wonwoo and Soonyoung were usually the last ones to leave mostly because they lived next to the studio and they both rented out an apartment, instead of living in the dorms at their college.

“You ready?” asked Wonwoo.

“Yup,” he said as he got his belongings and they both left the store.

Soonyoung really liked walking to their apartment because sometimes he could see Hansol walking the same way. They lived in different apartment’s, but coincidently their rooms both faced each other, so when Hansol had his blinds open, Soonyoung could see him from the other side of the street. The street was pretty narrow, kind of like one would see in the streets of venice, so it didn’t take any effort to see clearly into the room. Now Soonyoung knows what you may be thinking and  no, he does not constantly look at him through the window because Soonyoung was not a creep, and he didn’t pry into other people’s houses, which was something he prided himself in thank you very much. He wonders if Hansol ever saw him through the window, probably not though. Hansol was quite popular, so he probably didn't have anytime to notice someone like Soonyoung, who more often than not forgot to close the blinds whenever he practiced his choreography. Well, maybe except for that one time, when he saw a spider and screamed his lungs out, he could have sworn he saw Hansol peer through the window in curiosity, but it might have been his imagination.

“I don't know about you, but I'm going to go straight to bed,” said Wonwoo as he unlocked the door to their apartment.

“Nah, I'm gonna work on Hansol's choreography,” he said as they both left to their separate rooms. Soonyoung’s room was pretty spacious, mainly because all he had was a small desk located near the window and a twin bed, which was perfect for him because he used the empty space to practice. He went to his desk and inserted the cd to his radio. He sat in his desk and listened to the song.

After a couple a replays all he could think was ‘wow.' He knew Hansol was good, but he didn't think he would be this good. He quickly went to his desk and took out a notepad and a pencil. He replayed the song and jotted down notes. He was too focused on his notes, that he didn't notice his phone was ringing until he heard Wonwoo complain about it. “Hoshi, you better answer that damn phone or I swear-”

“Okay, I'm answering it.” he looked at his phone.

Unknown number

He frowned before he pressed the answer button. Who could be calling him?

“Hello?” he said hesitantly.

“Hi, Soonyoung. It's Hansol,” he almost choked on his spit.

“Hansol?” this must be a joke. He could bet it was probably Junhui.

“Sorry to call you this late, but I only barely realized that you only gave me your number and I didn't give you mine, so it would be kind of hard for you to contact me,” he could hear him chuckle on the other line.

‘ he's right,’ thought Soonyoung. ‘way to make a fool out of myself ,’ he thought bitterly. Could this day get any worse?

“Uh are you still there?” he heard Hansol ask.

“Oh yeah, sorry that was my mistake,” he said sheepishly.

“Don't worry about. Anyway that's all I wanted to say, thanks again.  Have a good night,” he said.

“Y-yeah good night,” he said as he hung up. He threw his phone at his bedside and banged his head on the table. Well he felt really stupid now, but there wasn't anytime to dwell on it. He resumed his position on the desk and continued to jot notes.  He had lost track of time, but before he knew it, he had fallen asleep.