Don't look back

Fate has other plans

Soonyoung planned to spend the weekend in his room to come up with the choreography for Hansol’s song. He didn’t normally choreograph rap music, so this was quite new to him, but he was trying. It was currently Friday and he was done with his afternoon classes. He and Wonwoo immediately walked to the studio. He had counter duty in the studio, while Wonwoo was working with the clients. Soonyoung didn’t really like working the counter, he would much rather be helping clients with dance moves and such, but he couldn’t do anything about it so he settled on the chair behind the counter. Business was slow today, it usually was on Friday. Most people had other things to do on the weekend. Occasional, there would be a customer or two, but that was about it.

“Hoshi, I’m bored,” whined Wonwoo as he sat on the counter.

“Well, I’m bored too, but you don’t see me whining,” replied Soonyoung as he tossed aside the magazine he was reading. Wonwoo turned to retrieve it.

“So have you come up with the choreography?” asked Wonwoo.

“I have some of it down, but it’s not complete,” he replied.

“Let’s go grab a coffee, it’s Friday and we haven’t had a single client today?” suggested Wonwoo as he jumped off the counter. Soonyoung wasn’t so sure about that Idea.

“I don’t know. What if someone decides to come in and they find the studio to be closed?” he said.

“Oh come on Soonyoung. Our shift is almost over anyways. The others should be here any moment,” replied Wonwoo, but Soonyoung was no fool. 

“You just want to see Mingyu,” he teased.

That seemed to stop Wonwoo on his tracks. “W-what? No I don’t,” replied a blushing Wonwoo. They both heard the door open and saw that both Minghao and Junhui had entered the studio.

“We’re here, I hope you didn’t miss us for too long,” said Junhui while he dropped his backpack on the counter. Soonyoung and Wonwoo both grabbed their own belongings and headed towards the door. Soonyoung smacked the side of Junhui’s head, as he headed toward the exit.

“Ouch,” he shouted. “That is not how you treat your hyung!!!!” he said as he glared at Soonyoung.

“Then don’t just leave you stuff on the counter. There’s a place for that and it’s the back room. Plus, you’re older than me by five days, so hyung my ,” he said as he held closed the door behind him once Wonwoo was out.

“Hey! Did you see that? He just hit me! You saw that right?” he said incredulously at Minghao who chuckled. “He has a point,” he said as he settled behind the counter.

“Yeah whatever,” grumbled Junhui.


Soonyoung and Wonwoo both walked to the coffee house located near the studio. He wasn’t going to further (well, not now at least). He planned to go home right after this and get some sleep because he would continue with the choreography tomorrow.

They finally reached the coffee house. “What time did you sleep last night?” asked Wonwoo as he held the door open for Soonyoung. “Around ten at night,” lied Soonyoung. He knew that if he told Wonwoo he slept late again, he was going to get seriously reprimanded. Wonwoo acted like his mother sometimes. They both ordered their drinks and sat behind the shop.

“Oh yeah? Then how come the lights were on at one in the morning when I went to go use the restroom,” he said with an accusing stare. Soonyoung knew it was no use to continue on lying.

“I was working on some dance moves, okay. What do you want me to say?” he said feeling guilty for lying.

“This is the umpteenth time you’ve gone to sleep late. It’s not good for you,” he said as he sipped on his coffee. They sat there discussing Soonyoung’s sleeping patterns, when a waiter came to their table.

“Hi, is there something else you might like to order?” they both turned to see Mingyu looking at them with a smile. Wonwoo struggled to come up with words, while Soonyoung tried his best to stifle a laugh. He looked at Wonwoo, who was slowly becoming red.

“We’re uh- we’re…” Wonwoo was starting to become really embarrassed.

“He means to say that we’re good here, Thanks,” interjected Soonyoung. Mingyu turned his attention to Wonwoo.

“Okay, if there’s anything you need, then I’ll be right over there,” he said staring Wonwoo in the eyes. Mingyu turned to Soonyoung with a smile and headed to another table. Once he was out of sight, Soonyoung burst into a fit of laughter. Wonwoo was trying to get rid of his blush.

“That’s not funny,” he finally said. Soonyoung still continued to laugh. He couldn’t help it. Just last week he was being given love advice from Wonwoo and here he was stumbling over his own crush. He found the situation hilarious, but Wonwoo begged to differ.

“You can stop laughing now,” he said trying not to look over at Mingyu.

“What happened to the love advice you gave me last week, huh? What happened to the whole, ‘just go ask him out, what’s the worst that can happen,’?” Soonyoung said. He actually felt sympathetic towards him because he did know what it felt like to be him at the moment.

“You don’t understand Hoshi, it looks like I’m confident about this kinds of things, but I don’t know, Mingyu makes me act like this,” he said as he sneaked a glance at Mingyu.

“You and me both buddy,” replied Soonyoung with a sympathetic smile. He would offer the other one advice, but he was having the same struggles at the moment.

“Why don’t I bring Mingyu over here and you can talk to him, yeah?” suggested Soonyoung as he was about to get up from the seat,

“What?! No, no, no, I don’-“

“Are you being a coward right now, Wonwoo?” asked Soonyoung faking a surprise attitude.

“You’re the one to talk,” replied Wonwoo as he his eyes moved to a figure behind him. He suddenly got an idea. If he was going to talk to his crush, then Soonyoung was going to do the same. He pretended that he was considering Soonyoung’s idea.

“You know what? I think you’re right. I’ll go talk to him right now,” he said as he hid his smirk. Soonyoung felt like he accomplished something major. He felt like cupid at the moment.

“That’s great. Fantastic, I thought you were going to ba-”

“Because you’re going to do the same,” Wonwoo cut in.

“… wait what?” he said. He had no clue what Wonwoo was talking about.

“What are you talking about?” he said.

Wonwoo ignored his question and focused his attention to someone behind him. He raised his hand in the air “Hey, Hansol how’s it going­?” he said as he beckoned him to come closer.  Soonyoung’s blood ran cold. He didn’t believe him at first, but then he turned his body to look behind him and there he was, Choi Hansol, walking towards them. He snapped his attention back to Wonwoo.

“There’s a seat open for you over here?” he said as Hansol smiled over at both of them.

 “Hey, woah, woah, woah, we did not agree on this,” Soonyoung said in a hushed voice, as he tried to bring Wonwoo’s hands down. Wonwoo was a bit taller than him, so it was no use.

He was going to murder him.

“Wonwoo stop, I can’t talk to him, not now,” he said in a rushed voice. Wonwoo just laughed and turned his attention to Soonyoung.

“Are you being a coward right now, Hoshi,” Wonwoo mocked Soonyoung. He put his hands down and grabbed both of Soonyoung hands. “If I have to talk to Mingyu, you have to talk to Hansol,” he said as Hansol approached him. “And if you think of leaving, it’s no use because he already saw you, plus you’ll have to speak to him sooner or later,” he finished talking as Hansol came to their table.

“Hey Hansol, we were just talking about you,” said Wonwoo. It was his turn to stifle a laugh.

“You were?”

“Yeah, Hoshi here has lots of great new things for the choreography,” he said. Soonyoung’s eyes doubled in size.

“Stop,” he mouthed at Wonwoo. He was blushing really bad now. He refused to look at Hansol. He didn’t want to give anything away, but Wonwoo was having none of it.

“Anyway, I have to go talk to a friend over there so, have fun,” said Wonwoo as he left from the table and walked over to Mingyu. He was nervous too, but if doing this helped Soonyoung sort this entire out, then so be it.

“The bastard” he said. Hansol laughed. Soonyoung liked Hansol’s laugh. He had heard it before, but never directed towards him. It felt good.

“Sorry that I haven’t been by the studio helping you out with the choreography. I’ve just been busy, but I’ve finished my other assignments for my other classes, so I’ll be free to help out,” he said as he looked at Soonyoung. Soonyoung’s stomach did a backflip.

He was no going to make a fool out of himself today. He suppresses the urge to run away. “You don’t have to. I mean, normally the clients just show up for practice while I come up with the dance moves,” replied Soonyoung.

“Well that ,” said Hansol. “Shouldn’t they be helping you?” he asked. Soonyoung found Hansol’s interest in his work cute, it made Soonyoung somewhat confident.

“Well, they’re the customers, so what they say goes,” he replied in a nonchalant manner.

Hansol was shocked to hear that, “Well, I won’t do that to you. You probably have other clients as well, so I’ll be there for my choreography every step of the way,” he said. Soonyoung had the deepest urge to kiss him, but he restrained himself. They spent the rest of the time talking about what Soonyoung had in store for the choreography. He could tell that Hansol was actually interests in what he had to say.  Soonyoung lost track of time and turned to see if Wonwoo was still in the coffee shop, but there was no sign of him.

“If you’re looking for your friend, he left with Mingyu a while ago,” Hansol said as he sipped his coffee. ‘He ditched me, ’thought Soonyoung.

“Is there something wrong?” asked Hansol. Soonyoung had barley realized that it was dark outside. He hadn’t realized that it was past ten in the night and he didn’t want to give it away, but he didn’t like walking to the apartment by himself, he could be kidnapped.

“I uh just realized that It’s really dark outside,” he said avoiding eye contact.

“Yeah, and?”

“Well, I uh.” Soonyoung would have said he was scared to walk home, but he didn’t want to see like a wimp.

“I have to go home, I have um work to do,” he said as he got up. He said goodbye to Hansol without waiting for a reply and just dashed through the door.

He was out the door before Hansol could say goodbye. What he didn’t know was that Hansol saw through his façade. He chuckled and rolled his eyes. He could already tell that Soonyoung was stubborn.


Meanwhile, Soonyoung was ting bricks. ‘Don’t look back, don’t look back,’ he repeated to himself as he picked up the pace. He should have called Wonwoo and demanded him to come pick him up. The nerve he had to leave him with Hansol. It was like those horror movies where the unsuspecting pedestrian was walking home and suddenly, BAM, they were being hauled into some creep’s basement. But Soonyoung was not going to die, No sir he was not yet ready, so when he heard some footsteps behind him, he picked up the pace. He walked as fast as he could, but the person behind him also picked up the pace, so he made a run for it. Soonyoung could hear the person behind him trying to catch up.

He ran as fast as he could, but the person behind him followed suit and had managed to touch his shoulder. “Oh hell no,” he said as he whipped his body around.

“You –smack- will –smack- not –smack- kidnap­- smack- me,” said Soonyoung as he kept on hitting the stranger until he fell on the floor.

“Hey, ouch, that hurts, Soonyoung ouch, stop,”

Soonyoung froze. He recognized that voice.

 “What the- Hansol, oh my god I didn’t know it was you!” Soonyoung said as he stopped hitting him and dropped to his knees besides Hansol. He could see that Hansol was bleeding from where he had hit him square in the nose.

“What was that for?” asked Hansol

“I thought you were a kidnapper! What the hell we’re you doing running after me?” he said defensively.

“Well, I could tell that you were afraid to walk alone and I thought that since we live next to each other we could walk home together!” he replied Holding his nose.

Oh.

Soonyoung felt like an idiot now. He didn’t know what to say. It was his fault that Hansol was bleeding on the floor. “I’m sorry, I really am,” he said as he pulled Hansol’s hands down and inspected the damage.

“We need to clean you up,” he said as he helped Hansol up. They walked two more blocks until they reached the outside of their apartments.

Hansol turned to leave. He wasn’t really angry that Soonyoung had attacked him; he guesses that he should have given him a warning or something before he went after him. Soonyoung stopped him before he could go.  “Not so fast, I was the one who hurt you, so I should be tending to you,” he said as he took Hansol by the wrist and dragged him to his apartment. They walked up a flight of stairs and he unlocked the door to his apartment and stepped inside. There was no sign of Wonwoo. He was probably out somewhere with Mingyu, but that didn’t matter right now.

“Sit,” he said as Hansol took a seat by the couch, while Soonyoung went to get the first aid from the bathroom. Hansol took that time to look around the place. He went to the window. He could see his own apartment from here. He went back to the couch just as Soonyoung came back to him.

“You’re not going to murder me in here, are you?” he asked teasingly. Soonyoung’s face went red. “That’s not funny,” he pouted as he sat next to Hansol on the couch.

“I was joking,” said Hansol as he laughed.  Soonyoung opened the first aid and took out antibacterial wipes. He laid his hand on one side of Hansol's face to keep him steady and wiped off the blood that had dripped to his lips. The room went silent for a while. The nervousness was no longer there. He was too occupied with tending to Hansol that he didn’t feel all that nervous. Hansol stayed still for the remainder of the time. This was the first time he was seeing Soonyoung this close. The first time he saw Soonyoung was when he was walking by the studio with his friends one time. He happened to look into the studio and saw that Soonyoung was teaching a group of children how to dance. He didn’t really know how it was that he didn’t notice Soonyoung before. He knew Wonwoo and in fact it was Wonwoo who had recommended Soonyoung for the choreography (For some reason Wonwoo made him swear to keep that part secret.)From that day, he had begun to notice Soonyoung around the campus. He wasn’t a ert or anything, but Soonyoung always left the blinds open, so Hansol couldn’t help but look inside. He had noticed that Soonyoung often went to sleep really late. When they made eye contact in school, the other male always immediately looked away.  It caused a sort of tension between the two males.

He was brought of his thoughts by Soonyoung, “There you’re all good now.” Soonyoung went to put the first aid back to the bathroom.

“So you and Wonwoo both live here?” he asked when he returned.

“Yeah, his room is over there and mine is right there,” he said as he opened the door to his room. Hansol followed Soonyoung to hi room. It wasn’t all that different from his.

Hansol took this opportunity to get rid of the tension between them once and for all. “So Soonyoung, tell me was it you who screamed that one time?” asked Hansol referring to the spider incident.

‘Damn, he’s on to me’ Soonyoung thought.  “What?” he said. “I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he lied.

“Oh but I think you do,” replied Hansol. Soonyoung was about to retort, but the sound of a door opening notified them that they were no longer alone.

“Hoshi?” he heard Wonwoo say.

“Have you been kidnapped?” he asked as he went into Soonyoung’s room. He stopped when he saw that Hansol was also in the room.

“Oh, am I interrupting something?” he said rather suggestively. Again Soonyoung was blushing.

“Wonwoo! We were not-“

“You were actually,” interjected Hansol. Soonyoung turned to look at him.

“We were just about to take things to the next level,” he said teasingly. Soonyoung was as red as a tomato. What was Hansol saying?

Wonwoo laughed. “I see then I should probably leave then,” he played along.

“Wonwoo!” Soonyoung said incredulously.

“Relax Soonyoung,” said Hansol as he draped an arm around his shoulder. “We were only joking,” he said. “If I didn’t know any better, I would say your attitude suggests you might want something like it,” he teased.

“Alright, alright, keep it pg 13,” said Wonwoo, while Soonyoung’s mouth was agape. Hansol just continued to laugh.

“Anyway, when can I come by so we can work on the choreography,” asked Hansol.

“W-well, I was going to work on it tomorrow, but the studio isn’t open until Monday so-“

“Cool, so I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said as he didn’t wait for an answer.

“Bye guys,” said Hansol as he left the room to go to his own apartment. “See you tomorrow,” he said as he shut the door.

Soonyoung was in shock. “Damn,” Wonwoo began. “I didn’t think you would be at that stage already,” he joked as he ruffled Soonyoung’s hair and left to go to his own room.

“Hey what about you and Mingyu?” asked Soonyoung, but Wonwoo had already gone to his room.

After a couple of minutes, Soonyoung took a deep breath and assessed what had happened today. While he did manage to injure Hansol, at least he could say that there wasn’t as much tension and he had a feeling that Hansol felt the same. He smiled to himself and stood up to close the door, when he felt his phone buzz. He took his phone out.

To: Soonyoung

Open your window and look outside- Hansol

Soonyoung walked over to his window and he saw Hansol across from his apartment. Hansol’s window was wide open. 

To: Hansol

But it’s cold outside- Soonyoung

He looked out the window to see Hansol giving him an ‘are you serious ‘ look. Soonyoung laughed and opened his window. “You rang,” he said rather loudly. He didn’t know if Hansol could hear him clearly.

“I did,” replied Hansol as he climbed out of the window and sat neat the small roof space.

“Hey!” Soonyoung shouted.

“What?”

“Don’t do that you can fall!” he shouted.

“Hey... be quiet,” they both heard someone say. “You don’t have to shout, the whole complex can hear you,” the person said as the sound of a window closing could be heard. Both Hansol and Soonyoung looked at each other and began to laugh.

“Anyway,” Hansol began.

“I just wanted to say goodnight,” he whispered and surprisingly enough Soonyoung could hear him completely fine.

“Oh ok, Goodnight,” he said. Hansol smiled at him and went back into his room, much to Soonyoung’s relief. He was about to close the widow when he Hansol spoke again.

“Oh and Soonyoung?”

“Yeah,” Soonyoung said.

“Don’t stay up to late,” he said as he closed his window. ‘So he has been looking at me too,’ Soonyoung thought to himself as he closed the blinds. He went to his bed and took his shoes off. He couldn’t wait for tomorrow.