A Walk By the River (incomplete)

Endless Love (Chendy Oneshot Collection)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Scenario 2: A Walk By the River

 

She waited for him on the corner of ‘Remember that Weird Coffee Shop?’ and ‘the Steep Road with Too Many Trees and Not Enough Lights at Night.’  She sat at one of the three outdoor tables, shaded underneath a bushy tree that had been planted in front of the coffee shop.  She leaned back slightly in her chair and crossed one leg over the other, scrolling through text messages on her phone.  She wore a simple white top with a revealing back cutout and skinny blue jeans (along with sunglasses and a facemask, of course, to protect her identity); the outfit she had been wearing at her event earlier that same day. 

            Too tired and not having enough care to bother changing, Wendy figured that Chen would appreciate the alluring outfit, anyway.

            The day was pleasantly warm with a nice breeze.  Wendy wondered if Chen would mind taking a walk down by the river instead of going to the cinema.  It would be a shame to stay indoors on a day like this.

            She was so captivated by her surroundings that she didn’t notice Chen drive up along the curb.

            He rolled down the passenger-side window.

            “Annyeonghaseyo, Seungwan.”  he called out, cheerfully, trying not to be too conspicuous.  Wendy snapped out of her reverie and approached the car.  She opened the door, but closed it afterwards.

            “Chinja.  I forgot my phone on the table.”  she said, simultaneously turning to walk back to where she had been seated.  Chen’s eyes caught on the skin of her back, exposed by the upside-down V shape of her top’s cutout.  Underneath the shirt, she wore a bandeau of the same matte white material.

            Wendy swung herself into the passenger’s seat and shut the door.  “Sorry about that.”  She said, and she felt odd after she said it.  The whole atmosphere felt awkward, for some reason.  She took off her sunglasses and facemask and put them into her bag, now safe behind the tinted windows of Chen’s car.

            “No big deal.”  said Chen, shifting the car into drive.

            He was rather quite as he drove, which was unusual.  Wendy wanted to ask if he’d rather do something outdoors, but hesitated to ask, and responded to text messages from Seulgi and Yeri instead.

            Finally, she glanced at him.  “...You okay?”  she asked.

            “Yeah.  I just thought of something that I’ve never thought of before.”

            She waited for him to continue.

            “...Aish.  You shouldn’t dress like that”--he gestured at her with his free hand--“in public.  You’ll attract the attention of...other guys.  Bad guys.”

            Wendy hid a smile.  He was being possessive, something quite uncharacteristic of him, and she found it cute and endearing.

            “Like you?  she said, raising an eyebrow at him indifferently.

            “I said in public.”  There wasn’t a smirk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter