SPECIAL EXCERPT: Subtle Seduction

Endless Love (Chendy Oneshot Collection)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Subtle Seduction

 

He sat down at his desk, where a small pile of paperwork and a report that the Mayor requested that he read lie waiting for him.  He let out a weary sigh.  These days, it seemed like he could never get away from work.  He woke up before sunrise, went to the Hall promptly after breakfast and worked until sunset, and came home with whatever had to be finished before the sun rose again.

            He caught himself foolishly wondering if the Timekeeper would consent to grant him an extra hour--or two--per day.  He knew full well that wasn’t in his power anymore.

            Shaking his head for no real reason at all, Chen pushed his glasses up his nose and peered at the front of the report in his hand.  It read THE UNDEAD RESURGENCE? across the front.  The report was written by a certain Ravi, who one of Mayor Leonardo’s reporters.  Chen didn’t like Ravi.  Something about him was off, and Chen couldn’t quite put his finger on what it was exactly, he just knew that something was off.  It didn’t help that Ravi seemed to be excessively (for there were many people in Ravenhearst who were ‘simply’ obsessed) obsessed with the undead--all of it; the vampires, the zombies, the spectres, even the demons--though substantial appearances of such creatures hadn’t been reported since the Raven’s War.

            Emphasis on ‘substantial,’ of course.

            “Aish.”  said Chen, taking off his glasses and setting them down on the desk.  He sighed wearily.  He hadn’t the slightest interest in reading this report, or doing any of his paperwork, for that matter.

            The door of his study opened and closed; he ignored whoever had entered at first, thinking it was Wheein come to deliver his evening tea, but then he remembered that it was far too late in the night for his evening tea.

            He looked up when she had stopped in the center of the room without saying or doing anything, and found that it was not the scullery maid but his wife.  Wendy was dressed rather provocatively in her red velvet robe (it was assumed that she wasn't wearing anything underneath).  The open neckline plunged to her stomach, giving Chen a generous amount of skin to devour with his eyes.  Her auburn hair was piled into a messy bun that sat somehow elegantly atop her head.

            “It’s nearing mid-night now, my dear.”  she said, regal as ever, “Will you come to bed?”

            Chen almost grinned, but he stopped himself.  “I’m afraid not, darling.  I’ve much work to do yet.”

            “It’s nearing midnight.”  she repeated.

            “Yes, I am well aware.”

            “Whatever it is can wait until tomorrow.”

            “I must finish my work, darling, lest I lose my job.”

            Wendy laughed.  “Leo won’t fire you.  Ever.  He needs you far too much.”

            Her husband made a face that was lost somewhere between True, true. and But I am too responsible to leave my work unfinished and Don’t call the mayor ‘Leo,’ that makes me feel strange for some reason.

            “Very well, I suppose I will just wait a little longer, then.”  she said, and she seated herself in the armchair near the fireplace.  “But just a little, mind you.  I’ve had a long day myself.”

            Chen didn’t look up from his reading.  “And what have you been up to?”

            “Firstly, I had a meeting with one of my dear little brother’s teachers today.”

            “What has he gott

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter