Chapter 3

My Mate

Looking up from his constant vigil as the doctor, a rather young wolf by the name of Ren who came from a respectable pack that Suho had known since the days of being a cub, approached with a new syringe filled with some kind of medicine which would hopefully work in their favour to bring Lay into the land of the living, Suho sighed softly. “How many more will it take?” he asked in a tiny voice, trying not to get himself too upset with the Beta.

 

“I’m not sure,” the doctor replied quietly as he administered the medication into the sleeping wolf, “the initial lab reports are still far too hazy to pinpoint what could potentially have caused this reaction but hopefully the new samples will gain us some further knowledge.”

 

Nodding the alpha sighed and turned back to looking at his mate, “Can I ask you to do something else with the blood samples for me, Ren?”

 

The doctor looked a little uncomfortable but nodded, “You wish for me to check for signs of pregnancy?”

 

“Or miscarriage...” Suho hated the word and the way it slumped off his tongue as he swallowed heavily, “If he lost a lot of blood due to that...”

 

Ren blinked in response, “Does he have a condition?”

 

“Haemophilia,” Suho said straight away, taking hold of Lay’s hand to gently caress the skin on the top of it, “He’s had it from birth and used to have a bracelet with all the details but...well I guess they paid no attention to it.”

 

Ren nodded, “I understand. I’m running tests on all of your omegas so it’s no trouble.”

 

The head alpha blinked in surprise before sighing in frustration, “I should have kept one of the bastard alive. Even the lowest rank of those filthy bygone monsters could have been tortured into telling me something more useful than all this guesswork.”

 

The doctor somehow managed to keep a calm air about him as he moved to record some vital statics for Lay’s breathing and blood pressure but he nodded his head respectfully towards the Alpha, “Whilst I agree with that statement, I also know that your pride as a Head Alpha would not have allowed you to remain calm or in any state that would have rendered you able to do other than what you have already done.”

 

“You say that like you have knowledge of what it’s like to be an alpha,” Suho said in a playful manner, not outwardly disrespecting the doctor but more just making a point.

 

“Whilst I can’t speak from the point of view of an alpha I can tell you that I have seen many different cases of fully macho and hot headed alpha’s being reduced to floppy crying puppies by the mere thought of something terrible happening to their beloved omegas,” Ren sighed softly as he cast his eyes towards Lay who still remained motionless on the best but at least looked to be a healthier shade of pink which was something that made his heart rest a little more at ease. Gently he shook his head, “However I can say that the antibiotics are working well and his physical health condition is slowly getting better so hopefully it won’t be too long until he wakes up.”

 

Suho nodded and turned his attention back to his mate, gently running his fingers along the side of his face, “I pray for it every second of the day.”

 

“I know you do,” Ren smiled as he began to pack up the things that he had gathered that day, “Everyone single member of your pack is praying for him as well as each other. You are very lucky to be in such a situation.”

 

Nodding the alpha smiled and for a second thought about extending his offer once again but instead found himself focusing back onto Lay who had suddenly let out a little whimper. It maybe lasted only a couple of seconds and was extremely quiet but it was there and immediately all of the alpha’s attention was drawn straight to the still sleeping omega. Softly he touched the others face with his right hand, his left still clutching one of Lay’s and he waited for another sign to come through.

 

He didn’t dare to speak a word, not trusting himself to not end up in a raging panic or a sobbing mess over the whole situation at hand. Suho knew that Lay was still there, that his mate was just lingering under the surface of this veil of sleep but it would be nice to just get a proper response from his sleeping mate. To actually see him peel, open his dark brown eyes and reach out for Suho with a plea to be looked after and pampered to all possible considerations. Suho would do all of that and more even before this terrible situation had started of course, Lay sometimes used to complain that he was pampered just a little too much but for the most part the omega accepted all the love that Suho would shower on him.

 

Though after two minutes of waiting it was clear that there was not going to be a miraculous awakening right now and a small sigh of disappointment escaped from Suho’s lips but he quickly replaced it with a tender kiss to his mate’s cheek, followed by his lips and forehead before gently resting his own against the sleeping man. “Don’t fight it Lay, just let yourself come out naturally of this sleep. I’m here and I’ll be here regardless of when you wake up. I promise that I won’t leave you again, I swear on my life that no one will ever hurt you ever again and I’ll be the one to protect you. So please, come back when you’re healthy and ready, I can wait because I’ve already been waiting for so long.”

 

Ren wisely took the opportunity to slip away from the scene because whilst it was very touching there were always dangers involved about being around an upset alpha who wanted nothing more than to have their mate back exactly where they were supposed to be.

 

Gently closing the door, the doctor let out a sigh and checked through his back to make sure that he had everything before making his way to what had been designated as the play room for the three young cubs. He liked to do check-ups on the three as often as could be because whilst all of them were in good health and excitable temperament he had noticed that there was a high possibility of developmental problems with the cubs. So far there was nothing obvious but the doctor liked to keep on top of things so that if anything did show up he could deal with them quicker.

 

There was a lot of noise coming from the playroom which brought a happy smile to Ren’s face and opening the door he was very glad to find that Sehun and Kai were wrestling with one another on the floor. Well wrestling was maybe not the word as it had somehow turned into a game of tuggy tail where Kai had Sehun’s tail trapped in between his jaws and no matter how much the grey wolf cub tried to wriggle around in a circle to bite his friend back he just couldn’t quite manager it. He was making a right fuss about it though, whimpering and barking in the strange puppy babble that no one could ever really understand because they always forgot it.

 

Ren chuckled, “Well it’s good to see that you two are getting on just fine.”

 

“Oh hello Doctor,” a half weak voice spoke, causing Ren to look up and see that Baekhyun was resting on a bed that had been placed in the play room so that he could be easily moved in and out of the room as he was currently lactating but no one was quite sure where his cubs were. Tao and Kai were not related to him, that much they knew but he had adopted them and let them feed whenever they wanted. Sehun was a bit pickier about going to Baekhyun for milk but Ren had aged him at being older than the first two which meant that he would be changing into his human form soon. Plus, Sehun had always tried to be with Kris whenever the opportunity presented itself so there was no doubting his heritage there.

 

The doctor smiled and made his way across to the other, spotting that Chen was digging through the bedding basket for something which was a good thing, “Hello Baekhyun, how’s the pain today.”

 

“Still painful,” Baekhyun answered, resting his head on the pillows and breathing deeply, “But those pills help a little. Can you check on Tao? He’s not right…”

 

“Tao?” Ren asked, scanning the playroom instantly for the little black furred omega before realising that Baekhyun had him safely tucked up against his body, “Sure, I can check him? What seems to be the matter.”

 

Almost the second that his fingers touched the little wolf cub, Ren felt what was wrong. Tao was freezing cold despite having been pressed up close to the omega and he was very floppy. Chen returned at that exact moment with an extremely fluffy blanket to wrap around the tiny creature whilst Ren hurriedly dove into his bag to get the things that he needed. Quickly he ran through some routine checks and after a few moments of panic he let out a sigh, “Thank goodness.”

 

“What?” Chen asked as Baekhyun had passed out as his medicine had only been administered around an hour before and it tended to make him sleepy, “What’s wrong with Tao.”

 

“A touch of the flu I believe,” Ren said, preparing a little dropper of medicine, “His heart rate is good but his temperature is low though he’ll probably be feeling too hot. Nothing to worry about however as long as he’s kept warm, dry and is given some Capol a few times a day he’ll be fine.”

 

“There’s nothing else wrong with him?” Chen asked sounding worried, “He just collapsed on us.”

 

Ren nodded, “No nothing else. Cubs tend to do this once in a while and since he’s so small his body just hasn’t coped well. Try to keep feeding him but if he throws it up you may have to change to water for a little. Now come on little cubby, be a good boy and take your medicine.” Using the dropper, Ren was easily able to administer the capol to the little omega and wasn’t surprised to notice that his two playmates had come across to check if he was okay.

 

Though almost immediately the pair seemed to realise that something was wrong with Tao and they quickly rushed over to the large dog bed that they had gotten before filling it up with plushi’s and blankets and cushions to the point where it almost looked like there was a little mountain of soft things covering it. Suho regretted letting Chen and Xiumin loose in a toy shop with his credit card for all of five seconds until he saw the happy faces of the cubs of course.

 

Once that was done, the cubs were back pawing at Chen and barking some kind of instructions until little Tao was placed into the basket and Sehun and Kai could crawl in to give the omega cuddles. Ren smiled, “I think those three are going to be friends for life.”

 

Chen snorted, “I think they’re going to be more than that. Poor Chanyeol’s going to grow up knowing his son’s mate and beta without even realising it and when he does boy are things going to get complicated.”

 

Ren nodded and glanced at the snuggled up trio, it would certainly be an interesting combination but one that had probably already sealed itself without the three youngsters knowing. Well at least it would be something to look forward to in the long run and that was all that mattered.  

 

authors babbling: yay we got some Sulay, even if Lay is still slumbering bless him and the cubs just being cute to kind of balance everything out because they're forever going to be cute ^^ Hope you all enjoyed 

update: 06/02/2016 - I just realised that I made a massive mistake by having Kyungsoo as the doctor so I changed it to Ren, just in case anyone was wondering what the hell author-nim was up to. New chapter being worked on though so keep your eyes peeled