Chapter 6

My Mate

authors babbling: Double update, make sure you read both chapters

 

My mate

Chapter 6

News of the birth of Luhan’s one cub and the fact that Xiumin had accepted him did not take long to reach everyone in the pack and Suho broke off his constant vigil of his still unresponsive mate in order to come and visit. There was nothing more wonderful than seeing the way that all the omegas reacted to the newest arrival as they cooed and fussed over him completely. The alphas mainly stayed back, keeping Sehun and Kai entertained but all of them were more than happy with the way that Xiumin was taking everything. In fact, it was impossible to tell that the other wasn’t anything but a very proud father at the moment and he fussed and cared for both Luhan and Kyungsoo in the exact proper manner.

Though what both Kris and Baekhyun noticed the most was that Luhan had picked up tremendously since the arrival of his baby. Whilst there were still odd moments when he would zone out or start to panic for no reason, he was a lot more like the boisterous and playful omega that he had been before this whole ordeal and even Ren remarked that the arrival of the cub was having an extremely positive effect on the others overall health. They weren’t quite out of the woods yet but the range of improvements that the blond was showing were nothing short of a miracle.

Xiumin said that it was all down to his baby boy and the natural instincts that all omegas had for caring for cubs. He couldn’t be happier to have both of them in his life and his chubby little cheeks seemed to get more plumper with each passing day. No one really minded however, it was good to see the previously stoic face alpha getting back to his old self because it meant that things were on the bright side.

However, Luhan’s recovery with the birth of his cub got Kris thinking and one night when him and Chanyeol were on babysitting duty, which was more a case of trying to get Sehun to stop biting Kai’s tail because the little alpha seemed to be more interested in trying to get back to the little baby rather than playing with him that night, Kris turned to his mate with a curious expression on his face.

“Chanyeol?” he asked softly, watching as the goofy giant attempted to finishing giving little Tao a brush through as his coat was a little tatty but the baby omega wanted nothing more than to be playing with his two friends and was constantly nipping at his fingers or trying to eat the brush.

Looking up, whilst deftly grabbing Tao so that he couldn’t go running off, Chanyeol blinked, “Yes my love?”

Kris smiled, “So cheesy.”

“You love it,” Chanyeol said back with a grin that was just a touch too happy. They had confirmed that unfortunately the pregnancy which Kris had supposedly been going through had been nothing more than a phantom one brought on by the drugs that he had been forcibly given and whilst he was naturally upset because his omega was upset he couldn’t quite hide the relief because he didn’t want to go through what Xiumin did. He didn’t think that he could be as strong as the other and would have probably done something that would have seriously upset his mate. Chanyeol was not proud of knowing that fact but it was a truth that he had confessed to Kris before and now he was just trying to make up for it.

Shaking his head, Kris sighed, “Yeah whatever. Look, I’ve got an idea about how we may be able to help Lay.”

“Oh, really?” Chanyeol dropped his joking side and looked serious, “How?”

Lightly Kris his lips and looked down at the cubs, “Why don’t we take the cubs to visit him?”

Chanyeol looked confused towards his mate, “The cubs?”

Kris nodded, “Yes. You’ve seen how much Luhan has improved since the birth of – Sehun! Stop it,” he chided his own cub who had gone from biting Kai’s tail to virtually smacking the other cub around and reached to pull the two apart as fun and games were one thing but he did not want them fighting properly, “since the birth of Kyungsoo and I’m thinking that maybe Lay will respond to them more.”

Chanyeol let go of Tao so that the cub could rush to pull cutely at Sehun’s ear which immediately made the young alpha turn and start to coddle the black furred cub. He thought about it for a few seconds, “But wouldn’t that work only if one of these was his cub?”

“I think one of them is,” Kris said, looking at the three, “We know that Sehun is ours but I’ve noted that Kai is particularly attached to Baekhyun and always wants to feed from him or else sleep next to him and...”

“You’re thinking that Tao could be Lay’s?” Chanyeol said softly.

Kris nodded, “I also think...I remember him being born.”

“What?” Chanyeol asked, looking at the other in wonder.

The dark haired omega nodded, “I’m not sure but I think the day we got captured Lay was suddenly in labour and we didn’t know what was going on. We had him in our bed because it was the one furthest away from the doors and... I can’t be totally sure but I’m sure that Lay did give birth before we were taken...”

Chanyeol looked down at the black cub who was loving the attention from Sehun that he was getting, “That would make him older than Sehun?”

“Yes,” Kris said, “Like I said it’s hazy but...”

Thinking back to the night that the omegas had been captured, Chanyeol suddenly blinked, “Wait, was that why there was blood on the bed?”

A firm nod was his answer in regards to that question, “Yes. We tried to call for you but it was already too late by that point.”

The giant shook his head, “So Lay’s been like that for two years?”

“No, it was only the last few months that he went like this,” Kris said, picking Kai up who was now pouting because he had lost his playmate despite having not been wanting to play before, “I remember him looking after Tao and worrying that he hadn’t shifted just before...” a shudder went through the others body, “things happened.”

Nodding, Chanyeol sighed and thought about it, “We can try but I don’t know how Suho will take it.”

“Tao is his son,” Kris said with a smile, “I think he’ll take it well.”

“But Chen didn’t recognise his scent,” Chanyeol said before suddenly frowning and grabbing the omega, upsetting Sehun a little before he sniffed the cub deep and blinked softly. It took him a good minute or so to realise what had happened and he smiled brightly, “Lay protected him from being marked as the heir.”

Kris nodded, “Yes. Granted if they have more cubs and one is an alpha then natural rule and all that but Tao is the first born to them.”

Chanyeol sighed but couldn’t help but smile as he held the wriggling cub up high, “I think it’s more than time that we took you to meet your mummy, sweetheart, would you like that?”

The cub gave a squeak of indignation but seemed to be highly interested in what this big giant had to say and blinked at him in question. Chanyeol grinned and stood up, “Let’s do this huh?”

Kris nodded and stood up carefully, gathering Sehun and Kai into his arms, “Yes. I hope this works.”

authors babbling: keep on reading!