Chapter 9

My Mate

It was the early hours of the morning when Chanyeol found himself waking up with no real indication as to why immediately available in his line of sight. For a second he thought about going back to sleep but then a tickling sensation in the back of his mind made him stop that thought and he pushed himself half upright.

Kris was not sleeping next to him and the pillows and blankets were missing from his side of the bed.

As quietly as he could, Chanyeol threw aside the blanket that had been lovingly placed over him before he flung his long legs over the edge of the bed and paused his movements for just a second or two. Other than the soft breathing of his son who was buried under a mound of plushi’s, there was nothing but the gentle sounds of the house being fully asleep and content.

No bathroom showers running or kettles clicking to indicate that anything was out of order.

Quietly the giant wolf hoisted himself upright, reached under his bed for a medium sized holdall that he had prepared for such a night as this and quickly tugged on a pair of loose fitting jogging bottoms and an overly large t-shirt. He next moved to his quietly sleeping son and pushed aside all of the plushi’s that were gathered around him to pick him up into his arms, “Shh, it’s okay, my little bubble ball,” Chanyeol said soothingly, “I’m just going to move you next door cause tonight is a special night for Mummy and he doesn’t want to upset you.”

As Sehun was in his human form currently, he didn’t respond any differently than he had before, still happily on his dummy in his sleep. Heading out of the door after grabbing a few more things, the father was surprised to find himself face to face with Lay who smiled gently and offered his arms to take the babe, “I heard him leaving before but didn’t want to distress him. I’ll take this one and you go after him, I’m sure he’ll need all the help that he can get.”

“Thank you,” Chanyeol said, passing Sehun across and pressing a kiss to the boy’s head before hurrying away without another word.

Whilst Kris had been relatively quiet in regards to the fact that he may be carrying another’s pup, Chanyeol had easily seen and recognised the signs that his mate was indeed carrying and due. Unlike Luhan who had made an obvious nest and had various mood swings, Kris had kept things quiet and organised and just made little changes that most people wouldn’t observe in the slightest. However, Chanyeol was the type who would watch for the little details and noticed things that others did not. He didn’t call Kris out on it though because that was not fair and he had hoped that just maybe Kris would tell him in his own time.

Kris didn’t but that was completely fine as well because tonight he could surprise his mate and their new born cub by being exactly where he needed to be at the right time.

For a while the alpha had mulled over the fact of whether or not he would be actually able to raise another cub, the result of a r*** no less as his own and there was a tiny bit of a doubt in his mind as to how he would react but after having been around Tao, Sehun, Kai and now Kyungsoo the large dorky and uncoordinated alpha knew that he couldn’t blame the cubs for coming into this world. The vile wolves who had done this were to blame but the innocent cubs were not in the slightest and he would raise their newest cub as his own. Because Chanyeol had always promised to give Kris lots and lots of cubs so they were going to need practice.

There was an annex cottage within the grounds of the manor house which they had acquired and Chanyeol already knew that Kris would have headed there to have the child because it was far enough away that he was secluded but not too far away that if he ran into troubles his howls would go unheard.

It still took Chanyeol a good forty minutes to reach the cottage, he could have done it in twenty but he had walked instead of run and he felt his ears prick when the sounds of birthing reached him. He immediately started running, glad that he had brought the spare key with him as Kris had locked the door before hurrying straight to where his mate was whimpering away, trying to go through the birthing alone.

Dropping the bag, Chanyeol tore off his clothes not caring for them in the slightest before shifting to his large wolf form and padding over to the omega to gently at his muzzle and ears. The living room carpet had been covered in blankets and the door to the bedroom revealed the nest that he had set up so carefully but it was almost possible to see that Kris had been in the process of doing something else when his waters broke and there was nothing more that he could do other than remain exactly where he was.

Kris looked up at him with wide panicked eyes, almost as if he didn’t expect him to arrive at all and Chanyeol nuzzled the side of his head, “As if I would miss out on this.”

Kris lowered his ears, “I thought...that you...aren’t you?”

“No,” Chanyeol said, nudging the other lightly, “It’s another one to our grand total aim of nine right?”

The other wolf looked a little bit confused but then relaxed against his mate for a few seconds, “Thank you. I love you.”

“I love you more,” Chanyeol said before conversation abruptly became impossible as immeasurable pain hit Kris as his contractions became worse and the birthing process fully began to run its course.

How long it lasted neither parent could tell and there were a fair few shares of nips, bites, howls and curses thrown back and forth between the pair of them as they managed to strive through the whole process together until finally after what felt like several lifetimes that in reality was only a couple of hours, there was a new tiny completely white puppy being gently picked up by the alpha so that the omega could clean off all the excess gunk and take him under the immediate warmth and protection instincts that all mothers had.

The little white fluff ball looked too much like a big marshmallow for Chanyeol to resist and he started to assist in the cleaning of his new cub which brought about some happy squeaks from the youngster. Once the pup was clean and Kris had been forced to eat the afterbirth as according onto one of the books that had been read in preparation it was supposed to really help the mother, the parents nestled around their new cub and fell into a loving and deep sleep together as they were meant to be.

~*~

The next day there came a little knock on the door and Baekhyun smiled brightly at Chanyeol when he answered it, looking a little exhausted but still just about managing on his crutches, “Where’s the new baby then?”

Chanyeol smiled and shook his head, going to offer Baekhyun a hand before Chen was already there and virtually carrying the other, muttering quiet curses under his breath about how the other was too much of a worry pot and should not be doing such crazy things.

Looking behind the pair, Chanyeol was not in the least surprised to see Luhan and Xiumin who were taking turns to carry a rather sleepy looking Kyungsoo between them and a rather frazzled looking Suho who was trying to keep the chaos triplets under control. However, the second that Sehun spotted his father, he broke rank and hurried over to him with his arms out, making a sound similar to that of ‘Daddy’ but the letters were not quite as pronounced as that yet.

“Ha-ha, there’s my boy,” Chanyeol said, picking him up and throwing him into the air which brought out a squeal from the youngster, “Ready to meet your new little brother?”

Sehun blinked in question towards his father but then nodded regardless and started babbling away in his baby speech again.

“I’d take that as a yes,” Suho said, shaking his head, “He’s been so fussy since he woke up the morning.”

“He probably knows what’s happening,” Chanyeol said heading indoors and towards the nest where Kris and the new puppy were getting fussed over by the other omegas and a rather bewildered looking Tao who didn’t quite seem to know what do to with the cub that was nuzzled against Kris’s side.

“Mu!” Sehun called, spotting Kris and making grabby hands towards the wolf, before being settled down next to him so that he could get hugs and from the wolf. Though it didn’t take him long to notice the white cub nestled against his mother’s side and he looked in question towards it before looking up to his father.

Chanyeol smiled, “He’s your new baby brother, so you have to look after him and make sure to play with him when he’s a little bigger.”

Sehun blinked and looked back at the puppy before suddenly turning back into his wolf form and consequently tearing his clothes but there was nothing that could be done in regards to that and he trotted forward to sniff carefully at the lump. The less than a day old puppy raised its head in question, before letting out a noise of distress after having been disturbed but before either parent could react, Sehun had the top of his head and snuggled down protectively next to him, giving Kai a little bit of a stink eye as if to say ‘Mine!’

Lay and Baekhyun looked more than ready to coo over the new baby whilst Luhan just smiled and tended to his own until there was a little bit of space left for them all to get in. “What’s the new one’s name?” Luhan asked with a smile.

Chanyeol shared a look with Kris before nodding and smiling, “He’s called Ace.”

“Ace?” three different voices asked at the same time.

The new father smiled brightly, “Yes. Our little Ace.” 

 

authors babbling: teehee I couldn't resist cause Kris always say that Ace was his son. Hope you all enjoyed