Chapter 8

My Mate

Kai had been watching Tao and Kyungsoo sleep side by side for the past half an hour because Sehun had said that he was going to fetch something for them all and the young wolf cub was getting bored. Not that he blamed his best friend of course, the house seemed to be in a complete disarray at the moment but no one quite knew as to why but with the two omegas sleeping soundly there wasn’t a lot he could do in order to keep himself amused.

He had been batting a ball about quietly but that was only entertaining for so long and he really wanted something to do now. Plus, Kai couldn’t even begin to fathom what would take Sehun more than five minutes to fetch seeing that they were all contained within a house that they frequently ran around in less than five so it made no sense. The wolf cub huffed again and was just considering the horrendous possibility of being deliberately mean and nipping at the two sleeping omega’s tails in order to wake them up when there came a thump from the doorway and the wolf cub turned.

Sehun in his human form toddled forward under the weight of huge basket that was filled with all sorts of different things from the looks of it and after a few more faulting steps he collapsed onto his bottom with a thump. The basket hit the side of the doorframe and toppled over, spilling out a selection of rattles and other noisy toys which disturbed Tao with a squeak of surprise and even made Kai jump a little bit too.

Kyungsoo just lay where he was, snoring quite loudly now that his favourite sleeping buddy wasn’t there to cover his nose.

Tao tilted his head towards Sehun in confusion, before sniffing at the toys and letting out a happy bark.

In return the human baby Sehun laughed and clapped his hands before picking up a random rattle and shaking it enthusiastically about. It made a noise of plastic hitting plastic and immediately Kai was charging to grab it because it sounded so fun when his paw hit a toy that let out a high pitched squeak. He looked down and found himself looking at what could be best described as large squashed rabbit which when he pressed on it again let out the same squeak. Kai immediately barked back towards the creature and grabbed it in his teeth, swishing his head back and forth in a playful manner as he merrily began to chew on it.

He didn’t notice that the noise had startled Tao causing him to cutely hide behind Sehun who was content to pat him and try to introduce him to other toys that they could play with though the omega wasn’t entirely sure if that would be a good idea or not just at the moment.

The only one who wasn’t interested was Kyungsoo, being too tiny to really get involved in play as of yet and enjoying the opportunity to sleep away his little baby dreams.

When Xiumin helped Luhan into the pup’s playroom not ten minutes later so that they could investigate what all the noise was about, both found themselves starting in surprise. Because instead of either a possible combination of three wolf cubs and a human child they found themselves with three human children and one very sleepy wolf cub who had not moved at all.

Thankfully Xiumin rallied first and moved into to quickly scoop Kyungsoo off the floor to hand him to his mother and then turned to glance at the two new arrivals. It didn’t take much to figure out who belonged to which wolf which was something of a relief. Tao was stuck to Sehun like glue with large eyes that had signs of adorable bags under them and a crop of messy black hair but with a slight sharpening of the features that made him look more like a kitten than a cub.

Kai on the other hand was running around completely stark with a tan to his skin and light brown hair that just splayed about in complete madness with no real connection to anything else. He was giggling and babbling away in his own baby language and appeared to have not a single clue that he no longer had four legs.

Luhan sighed, “Well I guess we know who the trouble makers are going to be.”

“If you hadn’t already figured that one out, my love, we really kept you away from the cubs for too long,” Xiumin said, moving to try and snag Kai who merely turned, saw that Xiumin was around and immediately went running off to the opposite side of the room.

“I’ll say you did but you had good reason to,” Luhan said, snuggling against his own cub with so much love and affection that it was addictive and offered his hand towards Tao who was blinking up at him with curiosity. Clearly he had just figured that something had changed but he couldn’t quite figure out as to what yet but the motherly omega just simply took the now human baby into his lap and kissed the top of his head, “It’s okay Tao, you’re a very pretty little boy.”

Sehun’s head shot up as he momentarily gave up on digging through the basket with a look as if to say something but then his childish mind took over and he went back to rummaging. Luhan blinked in surprise and then looked up to Xiumin trying not to burst into laughter as he chased about after a still very and clearly quite excitable Kai.

“Xiumin?” Luhan asked once the little rascal was caught and being held up high by the other alpha, “Can mates find each other when they’re young?”

Settling the boy onto his hip, Xiumin thought about it for a few seconds before shrugging, “I suppose so. Why?”

“Sehun’s just scowled at me for calling Tao pretty,” Luhan said, looking back at the boy whom had just appeared to notice that his best friend had turned pink like him and was examining his foot with curiosity.

Looking towards the boy, Xiumin blinked and then shrugged, “Well at least they won’t have the worry about another pack becoming involved with the pair of them. That’s the last thing we need.”

“True,” Luhan said, snuggling against the cub and little boy in his arms who was being lulled to sleep by the gentle snores of his friend, “Has Chen bought any baby clothes do you know?”

“What am I getting blamed for...oh my god,” Chen nearly shouted as he appeared in the playroom doorway carrying a basket of washing which was promptly dropped as he rushed over to pick up his very son and pull him into a tight hold, “When did this happen?”

“A little while ago, I’m guessing,” Xiumin said with a smile, “We only left them alone for a little while to get Luhan’s medication out of the way for the day.”

Chen smiled at Kai who looked bemused as he was held up in the sky for a few seconds before he wriggled and battered at his father’s face with a happy gurgling sound, “Well this is certainly something isn’t it?”

“Chen why is there laundry all over the floor?” Suho came in to complain as he carefully stepped over the dropped sheets.

Before Chen could reply there came a new voice which startled everyone. “Ba!”

Turning Suho spied the little boy in Luhan’s arms and did a double take for a few seconds because the tiny child was holding out his hands in a grabby motion and repeating “Ba!” over and over again.

“Tao?” Suho said in amazement, moving to take the boy delicately before hugging him close, “When did you?”

“Probably the same time as Kai did,” Chen smirked and petted Sehun on the head who looked to be a little on the confused side.

Suho smiled brightly as he hugged his son close, “This is going to make Lay so happy.”

“Ma!!” Tao said upon hearing Lay’s name and he started to tug at his father’s shirt, “Mama!”

The head alpha shook his head in amusement and caught the little hand, “Yes, I’ll take you to see your Mama. Chen you best get Kai to Baekhyun...why did I even bother to say that?”

Chen had taken the opportunity of a minor distraction to dodge around everyone and head straight towards his mate who was currently practicing his walking with the aid of a physiotherapist.

“Okay, what’s with all the noise?” Chanyeol asked, last to arrive but since there was a distinct smell of grass on him it was easy to tell that he had been mowing the lawn.

Sehun giggled and reached for his father who pulled him up without question and set him on high on his shoulders which made the little boy laugh just a bit more.

Suho bounced Tao for a second before grinning up at the giant who was his second in command, “Kai and Tao have turned human.”

“Mama!” Tao yelled again, beginning to pout which had the head alpha rolling his eyes but agreeing with a nod.

“Okay, okay, I’m taking you to your Mama. Geeze, such a bossy kid,” Suho said grinning up at Chanyeol as he left the room.

Chuckling, Chanyeol shifted his head to get Sehun to stop grabbing at his ears before he heard the determined ‘ugh’ sound accompanied by pointing fingers to indicate that the boy wanted to follow after Suho and Tao. Chanyeol sighed, “You want to go and see Lay or you Mama too?”

“I think he wants to follow Tao,” Luhan said with a smile as he shifted the still happily floppy Kyungsoo on his lap.

Chanyeol frowned, “Really? Why?”

A more persistent sounding ‘ugh’ came from Sehun and Chanyeol knew that he would not get anywhere at this rate so he waved to Xiumin and Luhan and set off.

Xiumin sighed and turned to his mate, “Yeah, you’re right. They’re mates.”

Luhan nodded, “Figured they were.” He smiled as he looked down towards Kyungsoo, “I wonder who your mate will be, my little Soo.”

“Oh please, just stay single for a long while Soo, it’ll save my blood pressure,” Xiumin said playfully as he sat down next to Luhan and wrapped an arm protectively around the pair of them. 

 

authors babbling: gah! Sorry for the long time between updates, I was on holiday and then I had a ton of stuff to catch up with at work and fanfiction stuff got left by the side. I hope the cubs cuteness makes up for it all though and that you enjoyed the madness