Chapter 4

My Mate

“Chen!” Baekhyun whined from his bed, “I want to get up!”

 

“I know you do,” Chen said with an infinite amount of patience that quite frankly astounded everyone because before he had met Baekhyun Chen had the least amount of patience out of all the alphas. He could get snappy, bratty and generally seemed to be displeased with virtually everything around him which made them all think that his mate would have to be someone who was soft, quiet and never said boo to a goose.

 

Then Baekhyun turned up one day, quiet unexpectedly at a multi-region pack meet up and everyone’s jaws had dropped to the floor. The wild brown haired poodle looking boy was loud, obnoxious, stuck his nose into everything that wasn’t his business, virtually insulted Suho which had not gone down well in the slightest, called Kris an insult for being a very tall omega but was only saved by the mere fact that Chanyeol was busy fetching something and was not in earshot and had generally been a whiny busybody who would not leave them alone all day.

 

Baekhyun had given absolutely no reason to the group why he insisted on following them around, until Xiumin of all people turned around and demanded to know what the hell was going on. The omega had cowered a touch before saying that they all reeked some something unpleasant and Kris had guessed that he was probably attracted to one of the alpha scents. It wasn’t Chanyeol because he was fully taken and since he had insulted Suho it couldn’t be him either.

 

Xiumin definitely did not want Baekhyun as a mate but thankfully the feeling had been completely mutual which had left only one other possibility. Jongdae or Chen as everyone knew him. But at the time Chen had been left at the family home because he had a very bad cold – which in alpha terms meant that he actually had chicken pox and needed to be quarantined away from everyone – so they faced a problem of trying to get Baekhyun to go with them or setting up an arrangement for Chen to go and meet his mate.

 

That didn’t turn out to be much of a problem in the normal sense, Baekhyun was going to follow them regardless because he could not get that pungent stench out of his nose – his literal words at the time – and his alpha had seemed more than ready to let the young wolf go with a knowing smile. It had not been the most pleasant of journeys though thankfully Kris had been able to befriend the wayward omega a little and calm him down just a touch.

 

The second that Baekhyun stepped over the threshold and picked up the undisturbed scent of Chen…the diva omega had gone straight to the others side to pamper and take care of him because no one had been around to do so. The change in personality was almost shocking but it didn’t take long for the omega to be bossing everyone about and trying his uttermost to look after his mate. Which quickly got switched around because rather unsurprisingly Baekhyun caught the chicken pox off of Chen and ended up being a very ill, very whiny and tearful omega who was absolutely no good at being sick.

 

Chen had just thought it to be completely adorable and had nursed Baekhyun back to health without so much of a complaint and never seemed to have one about his diva mate either.

 

Even now when the petite omega had both of his legs broken and therefore needed all of the attention that Chen could possibly give him and more, Chen didn’t appear to be flustered about it in the slightest. In fact, he relished in being able to care for his mate, to help him through the darkness of his nightmares of the things that had happened and make it so that everything was just a little bit better. Naturally he was worried about the mental state of the other, especially when they had discovered that he was lactating which could have meant that he was pregnant but Chen had simply kissed the top of his mate’s head and told him that they would get through this all one day at a time.

 

Plus, it certainly helped with feeding the very hungry pups too, which was always a good thing. Naturally omegas would care for any cubs that they happened across, it was in their nature to do so and Baekhyun had no complaints. In fact, he felt more sorry for Kris who had been so badly beaten at one point that he couldn’t give his cub and the others their much needed milk. But they had worked together so everything was fine which was for the best.

 

Still this morning, Baekhyun was in full on complaining mode because he wanted to get up and Chen was taking forever on the other side of the bedroom even though he was fully dressed and seemingly ready for the day ahead. “Cheeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnn!” he drew out the name of his mate in the most pathetic sounding voice, deliberately drawing out the syllables as long as he could before his throat forced him to cough a little.

 

“I’m coming,” Chen said with a smile, turning around and walking back across to his mate whilst he shook up a bottle of mixed medicine, vital vitamins and strong formula before popping a straw into the mixture and placing it on the side so that he could help Baekhyun up, “Had to get your medicine sorted out first else Doctor. Ren would have told me off.”

 

Baekhyun snorted a little towards the other but there was a twinkle in his eye, “You were faffing because you forgot the mixture again, didn’t you?”

 

Lightly Chen flicked Baekhyun’s nose before chuckling at the pout that he received from the other and leaning forward to press a kiss to his lips, “You’re in a real mood today. You did get some sleep didn’t you?”

 

Casting his brown eyes down, Baekhyun let out a small sigh before shaking his head ever so slightly, “Maybe an hour or two but then I got too hot and then too cold and sleep evaded me.” He took hold of the glass that Chen passed him and sipped slowly from the straw. Whilst he didn’t much like that taste of the formula he knew that it was the best thing for him to be drinking right now as it would help him to get back on his feet faster. Well if they could figure out why his natural healing times had been drastically reduced as well of course.

 

Chen sighed and gently ran his hands through the others hair, “Why didn’t you wake me baby?”

 

“Because you haven’t gotten enough sleep as is throughout the last two years that we’ve been gone,” Baekhyun said with a pout, “and I should be strong enough to deal with this myself.”

 

Gently the alpha shook his head, arms moving to embrace the omega with soft touches, “You don’t have to be strong, Baekhyun, it’s fine to be weak.”

 

“Not when they’re hurting,” Baekhyun said slowly, his voice breaking with unshed tears, “I got off lightly in comparison to the others and I’m not going to break down now.”

 

Staring at the omega as he finished his drink, Chen took the glass away from Baekhyun and then pulled him close to gently place hundreds of kisses on his lips and face. “Oh my little Baeky,” he said softly, nuzzling the side of the others face, “It doesn’t matter how much or how little was done to you, you’re still affected by everything and it’s okay to cry. I won’t see you as anything less.”

He heard and felt Baekhyun gulp, “But what if I’m…”

 

“Baeky, we talked about this,” Chen said softly, running his fingers through the others hair, “I’m not going to take any cubs off you, that would be wrong of me and I’ll raise them as mine. Even if we have cubs of our own in the future, I will not forget the ones that could be in here,” he gently placed a hand on the others stomach which showed no signs of pregnancy other than Baekhyun’s lactating, “If you want to cry, then cry, if you want to scream and punch things you can…just no kicking for the time being okay?” 

 

Baekhyun couldn’t help but let out a laugh at that statement even as tears began to roll down his face as he cuddled into his mate and thanks the gods above that he had been blessed with someone who could understand him right down to the core. He wanted everything to go back to the way it was, before they had been rudely snatched away and had terrible things done to them but he also didn’t want to give up this moment because it was just far to precious and it made him realise just how lucky he was. Not many people would have been able to cope with Baekhyun as a mate but Chen saw straight through his diva personality to his core and that was probably what made it all work.

 

An hour or so later, after having been carefully taken to the bath, pampered beyond belief and then had his bandages changed all expectedly by Chen, Baekhyun found himself being lowered onto the bed in the playroom where immediately his attention was captivated by the little black omega Tao who was throwing a tantrum in his basket and for a moment the omega couldn’t figure out what was wrong in the slightest.

 

Until he picked him up and found that his nose was assaulted by a horrendous stench of urine and faeces and the most pathetic looking face ever that was a mixture of horror, sorrow and discomfort. Baekhyun smiled lightly at the cub, “It’s okay baby, we’ll get you sorted out. Chen, can you get me a bowl of hot clean water and get those blankets in the basket sorted out?” he asked, fishing around for a clean blanket to wrap Tao in for now, “and bring the calpol too though I think this one is pretty much out of his cold and make sure to let the other two out or else we’re going to have more accidents all over the place.”

 

Tao let out a whimper and Baekhyun pulled him close, “Oh sweetie, it’s okay, you’ve done nothing bad. We’re going to have to teach your two big play mates how to open doors so this doesn’t happen again.”

 

Looking up, Baekhyun was about to call out to Chen again to hurry up but instead found that Chen had his hands full with all the stuff that the omega had requested along with two very excitable alphas who were either trying to help or hinder the big alpha by leaping up to grab at the various items. Chen looked a touch annoyed but managed to make his way across and place everything down before placing a kiss onto Baekhyun’s lips, “I think the alphas are hungry.”

 

Baekhyun pouted, “They always are but Tao needs attention.”

 

Chen nodded, “I know that sweetie. That’s why I’m going to take Tao and give him a good wash and you can feed the alphas and then I’ll take them out for a good old run around with the ball whilst you feed the little omega and then I can give the two terrors a bath and then they can all play in here for a while. That sound good to you?”

 

Blinking, Baekhyun stared at his mate in wonder, “How did you even think of all of that?”

 

“With you for a mate I have to think of about a million different things all at once,” Chen smiled but was still grinning, “But I don’t mind in the slightest.”

 

A flutter when through Baekhyun’s heart as he stole another kiss from Chen’s lips before moving to lightly berate the two fighting alpha cubs who wanted their milk but seemed obsessed with the idea of trying to get the same teat into their mouths.

 

Chen smiled as he started to give Tao a bath, who immediately stopped whining and started purring almost like a cat, noting that Kai managed to win out against Sehun and remembered an old saying that the first born cub would always le from the teat the nearest to their mother’s heart because they felt the greatest connection. He smiled and wondered if Kai really was his son for a few seconds before returning his attention of Tao and finishing off his work.

 

Sometimes life could be very complicated and full to the brim with having Baekhyun as a mate but Chen wouldn’t change it for the world.  

 

authors babbling:

as it really been nearly three weeks since I last updated? Oopse, sorry about the wait guys and gals but I hope this little mushy chapter was worth it. Couldn't resist writing some baekchen with a diva baek around becuase it's just too cute in my head and I hope it worked out great. 

next chapter will be Xiuhan and from what I got planned it will need a lot of tissues and stuff. Not going to say what it involves but be prepared. Oh and just in case anyone missed the update, I changed the doctors name in the previous chapter after realising I made a big mistake but it's just a minor change is all. Anyways hope you enjoyed, leave me comments on anything you don't quite get and I hope to see you again soon.