An Inconvenient Truth

Reckless Serenade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
“Your greed of not wanting to be a bad person My greed of acting oblivious and tolerate this I can’t even hurt you, I feel so small…”

An Inconvenient Truth, Brown eyed Girls, ‘Sixth Sense, [2011]

 

This is a long- chapter - please bear with me in this one, it may get confusing as we finally get to the heartof the plot...feel free to comment questions but please use [SPOILER] tags!! <3

 

 

Nari’s hand shook around Bobby’s as they drove towards the rendezvous point, yet another one of the seemingly endless and long-winded, apprehensive journeys that would lead to an inevitable confrontation. Nari almost got bored of the chase she’d repeated over and over again, like chasing endless rainbows, only to have the same damn leprechaun tell you that you got that wrong one.

She was so bored of being sent on the same trail, only to get thrown off once more. But this time, she was determined to get answers, and if Bobby was prepared to stand with her, they’d be unstoppable.

Looking over at him as he spoke to his Sunbae, Jiyong (G-Dragon) down the phone in hushed tones, Nari almost felt as if she were in a dream. Never did she ever think she’d be sat with him, his hand in her’s, let alone ever see him again. It was a miracle – a miracle that also brought doubts prickling against the back of her mind.

Sure their reunion wasn’t dramatic, or sweet like it was in the dramas – but that was never an accurate representation of real life. Or, maybe that was just what Nari told herself to ignore how uneasy Bobby had been. Maybe it was Chanyeol’s protectiveness that had caused him to act strange, maybe it was the danger of the burning building. But one thing Nari was certain about – Bobby knew a lot more than he was letting on, and he clearly expected that photo to shock her.

What else is going on inside that head of yours, Kim Jiwon?

Bobby hung up the phone, looking over at Nari, “You’re staring,” he smiled softly, pocketing his phone before bringing his freehand to Nari’s cheek. She closed her eyes, embracing the smooth touch of his warm hand against her cold skin.

“What’re you thinking?” Nari asked him once she opened her eyes. Yet she only opened them on time to see a flash of doubt and fear in Bobby’s usually confident eyes.

“I was going to ask you the same thing,” he chuckled softly.

“Answer me first,” Nari said, more assertively this time, “You still haven’t told me everything, haven’t you?”

Bobby sighed, “Because you guessed everything I knew before I got to it,”

“And…?”

“And- and I’m not the person who has the right to tell you.” Bobby’s eyes were unwavering as they stared into Nari’s, no longer full of the youthful excitement she’d gotten so used to seeing, but rather a pity that made her scared.

Bobby wanted nothing more than to tell Nari the truth and be done with all; end this torture she’d felt, end all the suspense, end the confusion she’d been put through the past year – and the mystery she’d grown up in the midst of her whole life.

But he couldn’t. It wasn’t his information to tell, not his truth to reveal. Not only would it kill him to tell her the lie she’d been living, but it would also tear her family apart.

“I-“ Bobby started, but he didn’t even know how to verbalise his thoughts – better play the ignorant fool than the liar who knew all along, “I know as much as I was told – or in this case, overheard.”

“Which was?”

Bobby sighed, scratching his head, unsure where exactly to begin, “Donghyuk, Junhoe and Yunhyeong had accompanied Yang Sun Hyuk to an inner-circle memorial for my fallen Sunbaes. Straight away we thought it was strange, seeing he’d asked them instead of Winner, but the boys went there. I guess they were pretty surprised to see Boa there instead. She’d met with them alright, told them to get a message to me. After all the seeds of doubt were sown by JYP, Boa felt now was the right time to let them grow. So she sent me to that library, telling me to find that book, and when I saw that photo- it-it all made sense!”

“Just like it did to me,” Nari scoffed, pleased that Bobby was just in the dark about this as she was, “Say- say there was something else you knew?”

“Nari, I-“

“Don’t,” Nari pressed a finger to Bobby’s lips, a warm smile appearing on her face rather than something of anger, “Whatever you have to keep from me- thank you.”

“I don’t want to hurt you,” Bobby held onto both of Nari’s hands as if he was holding onto a string holding his life in the balance, little intention of ever letting go, “I- I can’t be the one to tell you this.”

“Then,” Nari sighed, “That’s good enough reason. A kind reason, not a cowardly one.”

Bobby didn’t hesitate in pulling Nari into his arms, grateful that she had so much clemency as to accept his cowardly defeat and declare it love. He suddenly felt less eaten up by guilt over not being as kind to her earlier on, and no longer felt as much pity when he looked at her.

He’d met up with Boa alright, but what she told him about Lee Sooman, and the truth about Nari’s family…he couldn’t bear the thought of seeing her when she found out. Even if it brought her the closure she’d longed for, Bobby knew the second that Nari found out what he knew…Everything would change.

He just hoped it wouldn’t change for good.

 

~

 

Stepping out of the car and onto the empty field was the most terrifying experience Nari had had in a while. The seemingly endless mountains of graveyards spilling up and all over the place around her made her feel a sense of unease to say the least, not to mention the dozen cars parked around the place.

Bobby held onto Nari’s hand straight away, a simple gesture that had innumerable benefits on her poor nerves. Bobby missed having her hand in his for so long, so much that getting used to the presence again was almost strange.

“Are you ready for this?” Bobby asked her, squeezing her hand to show support.

Nari sighed, “No, but I’ve got to find out now, or never.” Nari stared over the continuous stretch of gravestones, startled and confused as to why they decided meet here instead of somewhere less…

Well, somewhere other than here.

“Let’s get going then,” Bobby led Nari to the cars parked a little way down from them – he could hear his brother’s antics and ramblings in the car from a mile away. He adored the smile that grew on Nari’s face at the sight of the boys, regardless of the tension beginning to grow in the air. Thick and thaw as ice.

“Yah!” Nari exclaimed, delighted as she sprinted ahead of Bobby and towards the boys, who all began to pour out of the car like marbles tipping out of a bag. Something about their disorderly manner amused Bobby – it reminded him eerily of the EXO boys, who were way out of their league.

“Noona!” Chanwoo cheered as he sprinted to Nari and enveloped her in a big bear hug.

Until Nari hit him in the gut, “Don’t call me that!”

“Nari!” Donghyuk called out next, awkwardly hugging her before smiling sweetly, the two having reached amutual understanding at long last.

“How’s Nahyun?” Nari asked, genuinely concerned for the girl she shared so much in common with.

Bobby could help get the shivers at the mention of her name, the daughter of Seo Taji’s former employee.

“She’s finally at university,” Donghyuk grinned from ear to ear, “I’m so proud of her.”

“Gross, get a grip,” Junhoe scoffed as he came to hug Nari next, giving her a kiss on the head for good measure.

“Yeah,” Yunhyeong scoffed, “It’s almost like he’s in love or something,” before clinging onto Nari, “Good to have you back,”

“I’ve missed you boys more than I’d admit,” Nari chuckled as she stepped back and looked at the boys before her, “Where’re the other two?”

Junhoe rolled his eyes, “Probably talking about their feelings.”

“Daebu’s made us go through countless team-building exercises since- since-“ Yunhyeong struggled to find the right words for that cursed day, “Well, you know.”

“I can imagine,” Nari chuckled as Jinhwan and Hanbin both remained in the distance, waving at her awkwardly as they spoke in hushed voices by the car.

Nari could understood why they were reluctant to say hello; she was after all, best friends with the girl who’d near-torn them apart. Nari would never know how they’d react if they found out she was in still contact with Hyerin - or that SM had actually paid her to heighten their mainframe security.

“Where’s the girls?” Junhoe asked, clearly missing Red Velvet and his partner-in-crime, Kang Seulgi.

“Stuck on street duty,” Nari scoffed, “Things have been pretty hectic at SM; with me being given leave, the other groups have gone into overdrive. Everyone just seems- seems so on edge. We even had to heighten our own server mainframes a few weeks back, not to mention they’ve debuted our new boy group.”

“Oh really?” Chanwoo raised an eyebrow, “Trying to take us on now, are they?”

Nari chuckled, “Not quite. I think they’re just looking to expand…but, I guess with what’s been going on and- and what I’ve heard…I don’t know whether it’s a good thing or not.”

Nari couldn’t help but notice the strange look Donghyuk shared with Bobby. She’d brushed off the fact that Bobby wasn’t telling her the whole truth quite easily back in the car – but if others were keeping her in the dark too…Nari didn’t know how much longer she could hold herself together.

But before she even got a chance to question anything more, another van swerved up right behind them. Nari didn’t even have to guess who it was judging by the seemingly endless drone of Ace of Spades coming from the speakers. For most people, EXO’s favourite song was often the sign of impending calamity. To Nari, it was the song they always played during play-fights in their dorm as Trainees.

Nari rolled her eyes as Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen (the prankster trio in the group) hopped out of the side of the van, pushing and shoving at one another as the music played on obnoxiously behind them.

“You didn’t think we’d be missing out on this party now, did you?” Baekhyun grinned his signature million-won smile as he causally lugged a rifle over his head, before Sehun (the brat) stepped out and took it off of him.

“Before you take someone’s eye out with that,” he groaned as he turned the safety back on.

“Well, guns are only meant for one thing,” Chen shrugged as he reluctantly pocketed his pistol.

“That’s not what we’re here for,” Suho sighed as he and Xiumin stepped out of the front seat.

“The perimeter’s clear,” Lay confirmed for them as he came around the van, “Boa-Noona is waiting at the edge of the graveyard over there,” He pointed to a distance hill, covered in mini-family plots and mausoleums.

“I take it these have been the boys you’ve been working with for the past while?” Suho asked Nari as he gestured to the boys of iKON, all 7 of them standing awkwardly with their mouths ajar.

Nari almost forgotten they’d never laid eyes on each other before; the boys must have seen legends standing before them, whilst Nari only saw the goofballs SM once made wear glitter and MC-Hammer style pants.

Bobby almost didn’t know what to say. He’d met the guys already, but seeing them in the flesh shocked him; not because they were such a deadly force in their world, but purely because how normal they were. Baekhyun and Chanyeol constantly prodding each other, Sehun chewing his gum, Lay staring absent-mindedly all over the place, Xiumin tapping his foot and Chen scratching his head. Not to mention the handsome Kai pouting and D.O silently staring at all of them.

They almost mirrored the 7 boys of iKON themselves.

“Not that it’s been easy,” Nari chuckled, “But let’s skip the formalities – we’ve got confrontations to do.”

“Right,” Suho nodded. And with that, the two group followed behind Nari as she led them up the hill towards the truth.

At first the walk was long. Long, awkward as hell and silent beyond comfort. Until Junhoe decided to crack a joke to break the ice. All it took was for Baekhyun and Chanyeol to pipe up, and then all the boys were set up. By the time they reached the rendezvous point, they might as well have made best friends.

But all Nari felt was bile in and wasps stinging and swimming about in her gut. In a way she didn’t want to keep walking, and fought the urge to run back down the hill and drive away from this madness, more so when her three old mentors, Jiyong, Jaebum and Boa came into sight.

Bobby gently nudged her back, pushing her on and reminding her of her purpose, “You can keep going,”

Nari nodded, affirming her perseverance. The walk was over quicker than Nari felt comfortable with. But the sight of her old mentors after so long, (not to mention, standing together) made her sick. She couldn’t bring herself to say anything by the time they reached them.

Yet Bobby was there to carry her where her words failed her, “We’re here for the truth. We’ve all been kept in the dark for long enough, and you three- well, given your history, maybe you’re in the best position to tell us what the heck is going on?”

Jay Park chuckled, arrogant as ever, “What on earth we could possibly explain?”

“This maybe?” Nari held that dreaded photo up for them all to see, “Maybe-why-why you left?” Nari spat, her fear turning into sheer anger more than anything, “Why this war started in the first place and SM’s role? My- my parents?”

Boa, Jaebum and Jiyong shared a grave look with one another, evidently unprepared to tell the truth – no matter how overdue it was.

“Fine,” Boa sighed, “But you have to understand – whatever we did, our actions and choices, it wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter