Worldwide

Reckless Serenade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
“Living while kneeling, I’d rather stand and die.”

 

 'WORLDWIDE' feat. Dok2, the Quiett', Jay Park, 'WORLDWIDE', [2015]

 

Bobby once again had trouble keeping up with Song Nari. It was almost as if every large stride he took, she’d sprinted three more right before his eyes. Her anger and resolve pushed her onwards, clouding her judgment so much that Bobby doubted she was even aware of him following her. But the sudden sound of gunfire seemed to snap Nari back to her senses. She skidded to a halt, panting as she clutched her gun tighter.

“There’s so many of them…” Nari panted, staring at the roads leading back towards the city square where the gunfire echoed from. Bobby watched as what few remaining people there were milled aimlessly about the streets, clearly torn over what to do and where to go in the absence of police or soldiers to help them.

If not for the ease of getting around without facing opposition, Bobby would’ve been disgusted over the lack of help the civilians were receiving.

“Just-“ Bobby started, but he wasn’t exactly sure of what to say. Nari’s anger was palpable, her desperation more so – he knew that such emotions made her reckless, even if it was a word non-applicable to the girl, “Don’t do anything stupid.”

Nari scoffed, “The irony,” and then she took off again, leaving Bobby in the dust. He sighed, wondering what the hell he’d gotten himself into, before following her back into the warzone.

But it seemed they arrived far too late. What remained of the stage from the parade had quickly been overturned by whom Bobby assumed were the Cube groups, some more injured than others, covering the retreat of alliance groups Bobby thought would be gone by now; Sistar, Fiestar, Beast, Boyfriend and Monsta X all scampering towards their vehicles like wounded animals.

On the other side was Girls Generation (who Bobby never thought he’d stand alongside) and Lee Hi firing endlessly from a public bus they’d cleverly acquired for cover, whilst what remained of f(x), SHINee and the SM Trainees recovered from sheer injures. Even some of Super Junior appeared to holding off the fighting to help each other. Bobby’s stomach dropped at the sight of his new-found friends in SHINee in such bad states, but this wasn’t even the worst of it all.

“Sulli!” Nari shrieked, before immediately sprinting towards and skidding down to meet her friend. Bobby followed, but immediately felt a twinge of sickness sink in his gut at the sight of a pretty girl, paled to the bone, irises swollen to the whites, bleeding beyond saving as Choi Minho crouched over her, trying his best to help her but clearly too frantic to do anything worthwhile.

Nari gripped onto her hand, whispering soothing words to the childhood friend. But words could only do so much. Bobby knew she wouldn’t last long without real help, and he knew Nari would be beyond redemption if Sulli died at the hands of traitors.

Hell hath no fury like Song Nari scorned.

Bobby clenched his fists by his sides. He’d seen Nari put through too much hurt to allow this to happen. He immediately stripped his jumper from his body, quickly tearing up pieces of the material, “Hyung,” Bobby called to Minho, “Tear up your shirt for me.”

Minho looked up to Bobby with eyes clouded by grief “Why?”

“Because I’m going to save Sulli and get her out of here!” He crouched down next to Nari and tried to get a look at Sulli’s wounds – but he never made it that far. Nari had other ideas.

“She won’t live,” she mumbled, writhing ever so slightly with anger as she reached for the gun besides her. Bobby knew Nari was queasy with things like this, but he knew better than to let her grief get the better of him too.

“Nari,” Bobby sighed as he began to inspect a bullet wound, “Just let me-“

“She’s not going to survive!” Nari’s voice cracked as she shoved Bobby over. Tears fell down her face likes sheer waterfalls that had little intent of slowing, her eyes murderous as they stabbed into Bobby’s with a fire he hadn’t seen in what seemed like a lifetime. Bobby’s heart sunk.

But this isn’t Song Nari. This is what they’ve done to her.

It was as Bobby re-assured himself of this that Nari rose and strode towards the action, her shoulders squared as she grasped tightly onto her gun. Bobby knew she was going to avenge Sulli by killing mercilessly, it was Nari’s nature. But that didn’t mean Bobby had to follow after her.

Reaching into his pocket, Bobby pulled out the Swiss Knife Chanwoo got him for his birthday last year, “Finally gonna’ put this thing to use,” he mumbled, “Hyung, I know this is hard for you, but if we want to save Sulli, then you need to help me now, do you hear me?”

Minho looked like a lost child, “But why would you help her? You don’t even know her?”

“Because if I don’t, what’s to stop the enemy from doing this to people I do know?”

What’s to stop them from doing the same to Nari? Hanbin? Jinhwan? Chanwoo? The others?

Bobby was never too good with words. Motivational words at least. Trash-talking and even poetry were his fortes, but the type of speeches he saw Hanbin give regularly were never his style. Yet Minho proved him wrong when he nodded and obeyed Bobby. His words were simple yet so effective in snapping his friend out of his funk and into action, that Bobby even felt more motivated to help this stranger who faded by the minute.

Using his knife to pop the bullets out of Sulli’s wounds, Minho helped pin down the strips of his and Bobby’s clothing to the wounds, forming a makeshift tourniquet that helped slow the bleeding tenfold compared to what Minho had done earlier. By the time they’d finished however, the gunfire didn’t seem to cease.

“I’m going to lend them a gun, not that I think they need it.” Bobby sighed as he rose from the ground, “Help should be on its way, just stay with her and change those bandages if they get too soaked.”

Minho nodded, his face that was plastered with blood and sweat showing signs of relief, “Thank you Bobby. I-I don’t know what I would’ve done if-“ Minho bit back what looked like tears, “I know it’s bad timing, but- I think you’re the best thing for Nari. The best thing she’s had in a long while, just don’t let her down.”

Bobby nodded, taking heed of Minho’s warning and blessing, but he couldn’t ignore the dread that settled in his gut as a result of it. He traversed towards where the fighting was taking place to find that the girls had edged forwards in the fight, creeping further up the field as they forced the enemy into submission. Cube’s groups were continuously scampering about on the other end of the field in panic at their enemy’s sudden shift in aggression.

“Nari!” Bobby called out, unable to find her in the midst of all the chaos. Yet his search was short-lived. A rank of black vehicles appeared on the enemy lines, and within seconds of their appearance, all the remaining groups scampered away and into the vehicles.

It was then that Bobby spotted Nari, leaping from the cover she’d taken and sprinting straight thorough the firing line and towards the enemy lines, shooting from her guns as she sprinted. Bobby knew what she had in mind, but he couldn’t let her risk herself that way for the sake of vengeance.

“Song Nari!” Bobby called out as he sprinted after her. The gunfire suddenly cease behind them, pushing Bobby on further and faster. But Nari didn’t stop shooting. Even as the members piled into their cars and began to speed away she didn’t stop. Like a bat out of hell she continued firing at them, and Bobby knew that if he didn’t stop her sooner or later, she’d latch onto one of the cars and be lost forever.

He sped his pace up, for once managing to keep up with her before quickly closing the distance and grabbing onto her. He nearly toppled the two of them over, but he remained adamant in his grip.

“I have to kill them!” Nari screamed as she thrashed about in Bobby’s arms like a child having a tantrum. Her guns clattered to the ground, the cars quickly out of sight and the fighting a mere memory.

“There’ll be time for that later!” Bobby shouted back as she repeatedly hit at him. He ignored the pain from both her fists and the heavy thudding of his heart, forcing through his guilt and holding Nari in place.

Soon enough she went limp, clearly giving up on her revenge before sobbing in Bobby’s arms. Bobby finally put Nari back on her own two feet, but she immediately flung at him, clinging her arms around him and sobbing into his chest. Guilt fed on Bobby. He hated seeing Nari weakened and crying more than anything – he almost felt the same wrath as she had just moments ago. But he knew his energy would be wasted that way.

“It’s not your fault, Nari,” Bobby her hair, resting his chin on her head as she quietly sniffled into his chest.

“Why is it always the ones I love that get taken from me? Who is doing this to me?!”

Bobby’s heart dropped in his chest at the sight of Nari’s weak and watering eyes; in that single, finite moment of time and space she seemed to carry all the weight of her past on her shoulder, and finally let it bring her down. It didn’t matter that Bobby was there to pick her up again, he felt the burden of it just as mu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter