1000 Words

Reckless Serenade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Shouting might have been the answer

What if I'd cried my eyes out and begged you not to depart?

But now I'm not afraid to say what's in my heart

 

Though a thousand words

Have never been spoken

They'll fly to you

Crossing over the time and distance holding you

Suspended on silver wings

 

And a thousand words

One thousand confessions

Will cradle you

Making all of the pain you feel seem far away

They'll hold you forever.”

'1000 Words', Final Fantasy X-2,

(I HIGHLY RECOMMONED PLAYING X ANDD X-, SADDEST STORYLINES EVER)

 

The building was enveloped in a deep and eerie silence. As ash, cinders and dust choked the air and fell from the sky surrounding the war-torn areas, various men and women, worn from seemingly endless battle, wandered the crux of abyss, the eye of the chaos that was in fully-fledged flux not so long ago. Yet with the eerie silence, came the peaceful flowing of the river behind the building, as sirens wailed on and on in the distance of the city that was recovering from the traumatising events of that day.

Bobby sat by the edge of the riverfront looking over the Han, staring over the bridge as ceaseless cluster of traffic clumped along the streets, the clumps of people and cars milling about as if nothing had happened – yet behind him, and far back behind the building, the complicated world seemed to be in a state of terror, torn by the terrorist-like attack on the Presidential Parade, as well as the battle at the JYP building.

Bobby closed his eyes. He imagined himself in a different place, a different, less complicated time where he was a kid again; still struggling with his family’s debt and their wicked landlord, but ignorant to the truth of how cruel the world could be. But no matter how carefree he may have been back then, and happy he’d have been had he stayed, something was still missing – his brothers, and Nari.

Bobby turned back from his brief respite as someone him from behind.

“The Sunbaes are deciding what to do now,” Lee Hi sighed as she, too, observed the peaceful city that rested on the other side of the Han, “As if they know any better than us what the heck is going on.”

Bobby scoffed, “My thoughts exactly.”

Lee Hi looked over at her friend with pained eyes, ever observant and quick-thinking, “You do know what’ll happen though, right?”

“Don’t.” Bobby said with gritted teeth, his hands scrunched up in his shirt, still sore from the seemingly endless punches he’s been throwing all day.

He knew very well what was coming, the inevitable – he didn’t want to face it just yet.

“Hyung, Noona,” Chanwoo called out from behind them, but Bobby didn’t look back, “The uh- the other Hyung wants to speak to us.”

Lee Hi sighed, “I suppose this is where they’re gonna’ tell us that everything is gonna’ be alright in the end, and that we can move onwards.” She walked back to meet the rest of their family in whatever circle they’d clumped in.

But Bobby enjoyed what last little peace of mind he could get by the river whilst he had the chance – he figured that after the remaining females figured out what to do with themselves now, Bobby’s mind would never be the same.

~

Nari stood in the circle alongside all the remaining members of her family that had fought in this final push; Girls’ Generation, mourning the loss of Jessica, the current unit of Super Junior also losing some of their members (except Heechul, to Nari’s distaste), SHINee, not in the best of states but present (Taemin having to sit down for his ribs), f(x), without Sulli, sat at the corner of the room with their eyes glued on their captives next door in sheer vengeance, Red Velvet by the window, eyes drifting to YG’s similar group meeting taking place outside, whilst Boa took centre stage, trying to explain what the hell had gone on today.

“Turns out we’ve been fighting the wrong enemy for some time now,” Boa chuckled, trying her best to ease the ever-present nerves of the groups she was supposed to lead at this moment, “Words cannot describe the excellence in which you defended this family today. Although we’ve suffered through pains, and great loss, we must remain vigilant. Turns out we’ve also suffered betrayal; we’re lucky enough that certain CUBE groups defected from JYP’s ranks at the last minute, as well as several LOEN groups joining the rest of their family amongst our ranks.”

Nari’s eyes wandered over the two rooms, shut off by glass windows, that surrounded the one they currently stood in; to the left, the groups that switched sides halfway through, and proved their loyalty in battle, Sonamoo (to Donghyuk’s happiness), Mamamoo, CLC, IOI, AOA, and (to Joy’s happiness) BTOB; yet on the other side of the glass, remained group members who’d made it out lucky, but as traitors and enemies nonetheless. Nari stared in sheer distaste at the faces of people like Bora Sistar, the maknae-lines of TWICE, Got7, Monsta-X, Cosmic Girls and Up10tion, because of their young age and potential, and traitors Jiyoon and Gayoon of 4minute, Yubin of Wonder Girls, Suzy of Miss A, Nickhun of 2PM, and last of all, Hyunseung of Beast.

Nari couldn’t work out why they’d been spared by YG – Nari’s Unnies were perfectly happy to put them down, seeing as they’d killed Minzy, and then TOP who’d tried to save her, but G-Dragon had other plans. Nari dared not to think what sort of revenge he had in mind for them, especially where his old friend, Hyunseung, was concerned.

He deserves everything that’s coming. Traitor.

“But the work and defence doesn’t stop here,” Boa continued, her words clearly inspiring that of her family members already, “In our bickering and endless quarrels, we have failed to notice JYP’s empires slowly corroding our own. Well now, it’s time to take back everything we’ve lost!”

As the other SM family members cheered along with empowering Boa’s words, Nari gazed at her Unnie in awe. Nari never understood Boa’s capacity for public speaking, especially when times like these needed some inspiration. She guessed she would just never be one of those ‘chosen ones’ to everything, but she was fine with that.

Nari just dread what awaited them now. She looked out the window, and eyed the YG meeting, similar to their own with G-Dragon preaching. But it was Bobby’s brooding, near-enraged face that really struck Nari with a feeling she didn’t like. As if he knew very well what was coming.

“To protect the interests of both SM and YG Families, we have reached an understanding.”

~

“To protect the interests of our families, we will not interfere with the ventures of each other’s family,”

Bobby was taken slightly aback by the wave of mumbles and murmurs that sounded from all around him at G-Dragon’s announcement.

“Maybe we can finally get some peace between us,” Jinhwan sighed from besides Bobby, hopeful.”

“As if,” Junhoe scoffed, “There’s always a catch.”

Dread overwhelmed Bobby at the reminder of the cruel nature these deals came along with.

No victory without sacrifice. Se7en’s second lesson.

“In turn, there will be no bloodshed between our families again – ever.”

“Damn it,” Mino grunted, “I was rather hoping for Round Three.”

“Oh sure,” Lee Seunghoon choked amidst all the chatter from the YG groups surrounding them, “I’m sure a bullet’s not the only thing you’d love to put in Irene-sshi.”

The WINNER and iKON boys all burst into inappropriately-timed fits of giggles at Lee Seunghoon’s comedic timing, and even Bobby struggled not to stifle a laugh. Their Sunbaes, however, were clearly less than impressed, turning to scold their Hoobaes’ lack of respect for the situation. The stood to attention and silenced themselves instantly.

“As I was saying,” G-Dragon sent a not-so-subtle dirty-look in the boys’ direction, “We’ve come to an understanding to protect the interests of our families, and AOMG have borne witness to this agreement.”

“Can’t he get to the point already…” Bobby mumbled under his breath, hoping no-one would hear.

Yet Lee Hi did, as she smirked besides Bobby. “You already know what he’s gonna’ say.”

“Stop…” Bobby scrunched his fists up in tights ball besides him. Oh how he wished Lee Hi wasn’t right in her thinking, yet she was – Bobby knew very well what was to happen now. There was just a small hope inside him that things wouldn’t pan out that way.

“In order to maintain this peace, there will be no fighting, interference, or fraternisation with any members of the SM Family. Any involvement with one another, will not be tolerated.”

 

~

 

Nari felt as if she was about to collapse. As soon as the words lefts Boa’s lips, the room, her mind, her world went spinning around her faster than she could hope to keep up with. The thought of having to be separated from Bobby itself was unbearable, blasphemous – but now actually having to go through with it?

Nari didn’t know if she could bring herself to do it. Yet as Nari stood frozen, whilst all the other groups moved to prepare for departure, the inevitability of their separation was absolute.

“Unnie?” Hyerin asked Nari as she remained frozen, yet not even her best friend’s reassurance could do anything to move her.

Since meeting Bobby, Nari felt like, for once, something had gone right in her life; it may have crept up on her, but her feelings for the goofy boy with his stupid eye-smiles and hats was too intense, too consuming for her to turn her back on at this point. Yet she had no choice.

Irene came up to the two of them, and, upon seeing Nari’s apparent distress, dragged Hyerin away from her, allowing Nari some space. Yet as soon as one prying set of eyes left, another arrived.

Boa approached Nari with utmost caution, trying her best to appear neutral despite the pity she truly felt. Nari’s eyes burned into her beloved Unnie, however, no mercy whatsoever for the decision that would ruin Nari from here on.

“I-I’m sorry,” Boa mumbled, her eyes sympathetic, despite not understanding Nari’s feelings for Bobby in the slightest. She reached out for her Donsaeng, but Nari only reeled back, disgusted by the stranger’s presence. The rest of the room fell into an uncomfortable silence, the majority of the family slipping out of the room, leaving only those closest to Nari behind.

“Why?” Nari hated how her voice croaked, her eyes watering as soon as the words left her lips. She couldn’t even bring herself to finish her question. She broke into a fit of silent tears, slipping out of her eyes before she could even find the will to hold them back.

Seeing Nari in such a state was like a knife to Boa’s chest, and she immediately pulled Nari into her arms, only this time, Nari didn’t reject. Feeling something at this point would be better than the void she knew would appear as soon as she had to say her goodbyes.

 

~

 

The sun set slowly over the horizon, signalling the end of a brutal era for what remained of the YG and SM families. Milling about the place in their clusters and groups, the groups who were once enemies and now departing allies, exchanged their final thanks, conversations and goodbyes with one another, before they’d disappear from one another’s lives altogether.

“And you swear you’ll personally monitor their relocation?” Taeyeon, the currently-stressed leader of Girls’ Generation, repeated to Jay Park for the nth time, accompanied by their Maknae, Seohyun.

Jay chuckled, “Of course, you have my word. Those mercenaries made my life hell during my time at JYP,” he looked over at the five mercenaries who were gagged, tied up and surrounded by AOMG lackeys by their armoured truck, “Police shouldn’t be bothering us for a while either, so long as we keep our heads down for the next while.”

Taeyeon smiled slightly at Jay Park, “Thank you, for everything,” No matter how much she may have owed, however, the leader was always vigilant about the trainee who went rogue so long ago. She’d lost some of her best friends today, she’d lost Sica – being thankful was the last thing on her mind.

“Thank you for saving our Donsaeng, song Nari,” Seohyun smiled warmly,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter