Black Pearl

Reckless Serenade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Even if the road ahead is dangerous,

I can’t stop now

I have never forgotten you for a single hour

If only I can see you..."

'Black Pearl', EXO, 'XOXO', [2013]

 

 

Bobby repeatedly hit his head against the window inside of the jeep, still hating himself over his cruel words to Song Nari earlier on.

Why did you say that to her?

 

Why did you say anything?

 

She’ll hate you after that.

“Bobby, can you cut that out? You’re going to knock yourself out before this fight even begins.” Junhoe groaned to Bobby as their car drove casually through the city – the only arguably quiet drive they’d probably ever have.

Tension and sheer nerves hung in the air like deadweight. None of the boys wanted to admit how truly terrified they were of what was to come next, whether or not they’d survive today, and countless questions probably ran through their minds at this moment.

But the only thing that Bobby was concerned about was the girl that meant more to him than he’d ever care to admit. The girl who he’d risked losing every day, the girl who he certainly didn’t deserve after his actions. Sure the comments seemed a petty thing to fret over, but both Bobby and Nari knew very well that there was much greater depth in meaning behind them. Bobby had been distant from her all day, that was clear, and that certainly didn’t help his case.

What made things worse?

No one had made contact with her since they’d left the building over an hour ago.

“I’m sorry,” Bobby sighed, trying to ease himself of the dread he felt for Nari, “I’m just nervous.”

Yunhyeong scoffed, “About losing your girlfriend?”

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

“Then what is she?” Chanwoo piped up, “Guys don’t look at girls like that unless they-“

“Unless they what?” Jinhwan questioned, his eyes dark and probing, “Unless they love them?”

Chanwoo shrugged, clearly taken aback by Jinhwan’s sudden outburst. Bobby looked at him, perplexed. Had something happened between him and Hyerin that had made him react to that question in such a way? Or worse, had something transgressed between Jinhwan and Hanbin?

The thought makes me feel sick.

Bobby was the last person to criticise the boys for letting a girl cloud their judgement, but division in the group was the last thing they needed – especially if their futures were on the line at this very moment, “Either way she doesn’t matter. What matters is that we stay a team, and that we don’t lose sight of things.”

Hanbin sighed, “He’s right,” he balanced his rifle careful across his knees, staring down at it intently, as if his own eyes were burning bullet holes into the metal, “We need to make sure we have each other’s backs today. I know it’s been hard so far…But after today- after today, it’s over. We need to make sure that we’re focused, if we ever want things to go back to normal.”

Bobby wasn’t so sure what would happen once today was done with, but he couldn’t shake the dread he felt in his gut. And if he knew anything, it was that he trusted his instinct.

Driving up to and seeing the rendezvous point didn’t settle Bobby’s nerves either.

“Not another freaking parking lot,” Bobby cursed as they drove their way through.

Junhoe Donghyuk scoffed, “These people sure love to meet here, don’t they.”

“Yeah, they really do.”

Getting out of the car however, Bobby’s sudden dread was eased ever so slightly. Before he even had time to process it, countless groups, all armed and ready to fight, were scattered around this one car park, either glaring or glancing nervously at one another in the midst of the threat that loomed over everyone there.

The boys all stared in wonder as their little jeep parked next to the rows of armoured trucks and cars that lined the edge of the car park, their owners clearly better off compared to the iKON boys.

“Play-time’s over boys,” Hanbin sighed, “Today, we swim with the sharks.”

Junhoe made a throaty sound, “That was the stupidest thing you’ve ever said. I’m guessing it was your version of a pep-talk?”

Yunhyeong his him around the head for being rude.

Hanbin blushed ever so slightly, “It was meant to be a flair for the dramatic.”

“Whatever,” Jinhwan sighed, “Let’s just go.”

Bobby eyed his Hyung carefully as he was the first to leave the car. After ushering (more like shoving) the Dongsaengs out of the jeep, Bobby shared a brief exchange with Hanbin.

“What happened?”

“What do you think?” Hanbin grumbled, “Hyerin happened.”

Bobby sighed, “If this messes things up today-“

“It won’t.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because, we both swore to end things with her.”

Bobby’s stomach dropped. Never had he seen either of his best friends hold a devotion towards a girl the way they had with Hyerin; for her to come between them this way without even realising it, and for them to resort to this was a clear sign of, not only how much she meant to them, but how much their brotherhood meant.

The meaning of the gesture played over in Bobby’s mind constantly as they made their way towards the main Allied groups – Jinhwan and Hanbin parting ways with Hyerin like that made Bobby suddenly feel selfish.

He’d pursued his feeling for Nari without any contemplation on how it would affect everything and everyone else. Had he changed? What would happen after today? Would they have to part?

The thought brought bile to Bobby’s throat. He didn’t even want to contemplate the idea, not when he needed his focus now more than ever.

I should really practice what I preach.

“Hyung,” Hanbin called out as they approached G-Dragon, who appeared to be in heavy conversation with the leaders of the allied groups, as well as some other groups that Bobby took a second to recognise; Leeteuk of Super Junior, Taeyeon of Girls’ Generation, Sojin of Girl’s Day, Seungho of MBLAQ, Boram of T-Ara, N of Vixx, even Kara, Nine Muses and other, older groups Bobby didn’t even recognise, were assembled in this fearsome grouping. Namjoon of Bangtan was also lurking nearby, the mercenaries clearly choosing the right side to fight for, regardless of how much they’d be getting paid.

Bobby couldn’t help but feel helplessly small compared to the likes of these people.

“I see you called in a few favours,” Hanbin commented after exchanging bows with his mentor.

“Yeah, I guess I did.” G-Dragon smirked slightly, “Let’s just say, JYP is no short of bad blood with people.”

“What’s the game-plan then?” Leeteuk of Super Junior questioned. Bobby tried to stop himself gawking at the leader out of sheer awe.

“Where’s our divine leader, Mr AOMG gone off to?” the current leader of Kara (he’d forgotten her name) sneered. Bobby shivered slightly at the thought of the line-up changes this group had gone through - handiwork of JYP no doubt…Or SM…Or us…

“A scout team went ahead into the buildings.”

Dread immediately overcame Bobby at the sounds of those words. His stomach suddenly sunk, his body feeling like all the oxygen had been out of his head. A wave of mumbles sounded from the leaders, not all of them happy with the fact.

“This could be a trap!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter