30 minutes

Shorter Than Baekhyun's Dingaling

Genre: Angst, Romance

Rate: PG-13

Summary: 30 minutes of Kim Jongin has made Kyungsoo a little happier.

 

Jongin first saw him at the bus stop; when the anticipation of the first day of school mixed with the morning dew kept him unaware of the boy walking his way. It wasn’t until the boy stumbled into his arms that he noticed those deep doe eyes, those plump lips tinted in a strawberry color and the small and fragile build.

 

Jongin brushed it off of course and held the boy steady by applying pressure to his flimsy bicep. The boy turns rigid and Jongin immediately releases him.

 

“I’m Jongin.”

 

The boy deadpans and stares at Jongin’s outstretched hand in disbelief.

 

He waits, and counts the seconds before the boy grabs it, he stays silent.

 

10 seconds.

 

He doesn’t say anything about the scars on his wrist.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, the boy is there first. He sits on the curb, headphones stuck in both ears. His eyes are closed, but his brow is crinkled. He is humming.

Jongin likes the sound of his voice.

 

Warm, like laying in the grass on a summer day, or drinking hot chocolate, bundled in blankets or even a warm embrace on a winter day.

 

It takes 9 seconds for the boy to notice him.

 

But it doesn’t take Jongin anytime to compliment him.

 

Jongin doesn’t say anything about the make-up around his left eye, that doesn’t quite show the pureness of his skin, but he knows that the skin around there is anything but pure.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day the boy is almost late.

 

Jongin pulls his wrist when Kyungsoo steps inside and looks around for a seat.

 

They sit next each other in silence, shoulders brushing.

 

It takes 8 seconds for the boy to introduce himself.

 

“My name is Kyungsoo.”

 

Jongin smiles, and replies, choosing to ignore the way Kyungsoo limped as he ran to catch the bus.

 

The next day, Kyungsoo automatically sits beside Jongin. Jongin doesn’t protest nor does he hide the smile that graces his lips.

 

“Hey, it’s Kyungsoo, how’s my favorite ?”

 

The words aren’t from him, but are from Park Chanyeol.

 

Kyungsoo says nothing, so neither does Jongin.

 

“Aw, C’mon Kyungie, I didn’t mean to punch you that hard. I was just pissed-”

 

“Leave him alone.”

 

It takes Jongin 7 seconds to speak.

 

But it takes 6 seconds for Kyungsoo to stand from his spot next to Jongin, weakly limping over to an enraged Chanyeol, who grabs his wrist a little too roughly, and whispers something in Kyungsoo’s ear that makes his eyes widen and shoulder slump when Chanyeol slings an arm over him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day Kyungsoo is running.

 

He’s panting.

 

He’s crying.

 

Jongin feels a pang in his heart.

 

Kyungsoo sees him and stops running, he turns back around, and then turns back at Jongin, thinking of which way to go, which way to run.

 

Jongin doesn’t want him to run, Jongin wants him to say.

 

So Jongin hugs him, and when Kyungsoo struggles, Jongin tightens his grip.

 

When he relaxes and let’s out a sob, Jongin runs a hand through his nape, brows knitting together when Kyungsoo flinches.

 

“It’s okay. I won’t hurt you, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo cries harder, and Jongin slings an arm over his shoulders to lead him into the bus.

 

They sit next to each other in silence, but it’s comfortable this time.

 

Jongin doesn’t say anything when Kyungsoo rests his head against his shoulder.

 

It takes 5 seconds after that for Kyungsoo to say, “Thank you, Jongin.”

 

 

 

 

 

The next day comes and Kyungsoo is there first.

 

Jongin waves and Kyungsoo waves back, everything is okay.

 

“What are you listening to Kyungsoo?”

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t hesitate, “Nothing.”

 

Jongin’s smile fades, thinking that the boy did not want to conversate with him, but he feels warm when Kyungsoo stuffs one earbud into his left ear. Kyungsoo stands beside him with the right bud in his, and Kyungsoo is indeed listening to nothing.

 

Jongin is happy when Kyungsoo laces their pinkies together as they get onto the bus.

 

“Kyungsoo!” It’s Chanyeol. “I saved a spot for you.”

 

Kyungsoo flinches at the sound of his voice, and detaches his pinky from Jongin’s.

 

“Come here, Kyungsoo.”

 

But Kyungsoo doesn’t move.

 

Jongin doesn’t move.

 

Chanyeol get’s angry.

 

“Did you not hear me Kyungs-”

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

The next event comes in fours.

 

It took Kyungsoo 4 seconds to speak.

 

It takes Chanyeol 4 seconds to stand and rebuttle.

 

It takes Chanyeol another 4 seconds to raise his fist.

 

But it takes Jongin 4 seconds to finish it.

 

Jongin is suspended, Chanyeol has a black eye, Kyungsoo rides the bus alone for a week, both of them are in love.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, Kyungsoo is late.

 

Jongin is off suspension.

 

He wants to see Kyungsoo. He wants to hold Kyungsoo. He wants to tell Kyungsoo that he loves him, and even if the idea itself is completely unorthodox, Jongin can't help but feel his heart flip and his stomach churn at the thought of the latter.

 

But Kyungsoo doesn’t come.

 

The bus driver is yelling at him to get on, but Jongin turns and runs.

 

He runs towards Kyungsoo.

 

He runs where Kyungsoo ran away from, where strings of faith and path cross and meet, and eventually he sees him.

 

This event comes in three’s.

 

There is a man, a broken bottle, and Kyungsoo.

 

It takes 3 seconds for Jongin to start running.

 

3 seconds for Kyungsoo to scream, “Dad! Stop.”

 

It takes Jongin 3 seconds to see darkness.

 

 

 

 

 

Do Kyungsoo is abused, at home, at school, by himself.

 

He’s not happy.

 

Let’s rephrase that, he wasn’t happy, that is, until he met Kim Jongin.

 

30 minutes.

 

That’s all the time Kyungsoo had in a day to see him.

 

They go to neighboring schools, the buses link together in the morning, and separate after school since Jongin’s school get’s out a little later.

Between the 8 hours of bullying at school, the 15 minutes bus ride home, the 5 minutes of walking, and usually the 5 hours of aimlessly walking the streets to avoid home, the 40 minutes of peace he has to himself, usually use to soothe his own pain with another, and the rest of the 9 hours and 30 minutes that are dedicated to drunken hits and cigar filled homes, sleepless nights and silent sobbing.

 

30 minutes of Kim Jongin has made Kyungsoo a little more happier.

 

30 minutes of subtle touches that Kyungsoo slowly learned to love and not flinch away from.

 

30 minutes of silent music and heads on shoulders.

 

30 minutes of pinkies linked and rare spoken words.

 

30 minutes to fall in love all over again.

 

But it takes 30 seconds for Kyungsoo to move.

 

20 seconds.

 

Kyungsoo’s dad runs.

 

10 seconds.

 

Kyungsoo dials 911.

 

5 seconds.

 

Kyungsoo holds Jongin.

 

It takes 2 seconds for Kyungsoo to kiss Jongin, lips whispering promises that he cannot make, whispering words of love and life that Jongin is definitely holding on to.

 

Kyungsoo cradles him, fingers touching the crooks and corners, thumbs brushing over lips as he begs Jongin not to speak, but he can make out the “I love you.” thrown back at him.

 

Kyungsoo ignores the blood, just as Jongin has ignored Kyungsoo’s pain.

 

They don’t ignore it to hide from reality, they ignore it because, what can they do?

 

Nothing.

 

How long does it take for Kyungsoo to cry?

 

He’s been crying all along.

 

Kyungsoo spends 8 hours at school, 8 hours with Jongin and 8 hours at home, alone.

 

Jongin doesn’t wake up on the first day, or the day after that.

 

When weeks pass Jongin still doesn’t wake up.

 

When months pass Jongin doesn’t move an inch.

 

Kyungsoo’s dad comes home after a year.

 

And Kyungsoo goes through 3 more months of torture before he writes the letter.

 

 

 

To Kim Jongin,

 

If you could travel back in time, what would you change and why?

I would change meeting you.

Why? Because I don’t deserve you, and you don’t deserve this.

Time is a precious thing, it's something that I have a lot of, and something that is withering away for you.

I’ve memorized every curve of your face, the timing of your breaths, the sound of your heart beat.

But I want to see your eyes open, I want to see you smile and I want to hear your voice.

I want to hold you and I want you to hold me.

But you can’t.

I’m in love with you Jongin.

I’ve been in love with you for 1 year, 6 months, 4 days, 23 minutes and 1 second.

It’s crazy, I’m crazy.

But it’s ok, because I’ll meet you there.

I love you Jongin.

 

- Do Kyungsoo

 

 

 

It takes Kyungsoo 1 second to jump off of the hospital building, and Jongin another second to wake up.

 

After 1 year, 6  months, 4 days, 29 minutes and 1 second.

 

Jongin has woken up, and Kyungsoo is pronounced dead.

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin reads the note, and he doesn’t remember.

 

When he stays in the hospital for the next few weeks, tracing the words with his fingers, he doesn’t remember.

 

When Jongin visits a grave with his parents, with Do Kyungsoo engraved on the tombstone, Jongin feels his heart pang as he places the flowers down.

 

It takes Jongin 10 seconds when standing at the bus stop to burst into tears.

 

Because Jongin remembers doe eyes and heart shape lips.

 

He finally remembers silent music, heads on shoulders, pinkies linked, rare spoken words, and to fall in love all over again.

 

“Kyungsoo!”

 

But no one is there to sit beside him on bus rides.

 

There is no one to link their pinkies together.

 

There is no one to love him.

 

There is no more Kyungsoo.

“Kyungsoo, I love you too.


A/N:

CLARIFICATION: Kyungsoo is abused at home and is bullied by Chanyeol at school thus causing him to commit self harm, I am sorry if this offends anyone. Also just so you know, when ksoo's father hit Jongin he ran away for a year in fear that he would get arrested. Eventually he comes back and continues to abuse Kyungsoo and Ksoo breaks.

Before anyone screeches about how easily they fell in love~

Time. it's a precious thing that can do wonders especially in the heat of romance. when talking to a stranger sometimes we can't help but become attach, no matter how long or how short we conversate. An hour with a stranger can have you thinking of them for days, weeks, months and even years.

Truthfully, we all fall in love once in a while, whether it be a fling or an unsure gesture, but we always have that thing in the back of our minds saying that it isn't right to fall in love so quickly, because it's stupid and desparate.

Kyungsoo was a desperate human, with lack of love to give and recieve.

Jongin was someone with lot's of it, and people with a lot to give tend to give with out even realizing.

in the spur of moments we allow our walls to be broken, and that's what happened with Kyungsoo and Jongin.

in the end ksoo wanted to be with jong so he commited suicide but jongin woke up from his coma when kyungsoo died.

time is a big part of this drabble and i just ugh it i know but i love the idea

AND ITS ALMOST KSOOS AND JONGINS BDAY AND I JUST KFLDJASLFDJASFLK