Timestamp: Marry me?

Trespassing Cat

in the midst of writing up a chapter for a love story for you and I this idea popped into my head. Longer than I thought it would be.

Warnings: So freaking fluffy your teeth will ache and give you cavities


Joshua opened the front door to their apartment looking for his cat and his boyfriend who should've been home earlier than him. Yet as his eyes wandered the living room and kitchen, the two of them were nowhere to be found. Frowning he put his coat into the hallway closet and stooped down to see if Jeonghan's shoes were there. They were. So the question was where was his boyfriend and his wayward cat. He stood up and started going towards their bedroom, if they weren’t in the living room then they would probably be taking a cat nap. Jeonghan had this odd habit of always being able to sleep. As he neared the door he heard Jeonghan talk to Soul, “What do you think cat? Will he like it?”

Pushing the door open, Joshua responded, “Will I like what?” Startled Jeonghan whipped his head around. He laughed nervously. Soul flicked his tail and walked over to his owner, rubbing himself against Joshua’s legs in hello. “Will I like what Jeonghan?”

“Will you like dinner? It was supposed to be a surprise but looks like the cat is out of the bag. I made reservations at this nice place for tonight. Why don’t you get freshened up and rest a bit before we go?” Jeonghan said, quickly changing the subject. Although Joshua could tell that he was hiding something from him, judging by the slight flush of his cheeks and that his eyes flickered to the side.

“All right.” He replied, side eyeing his boyfriend suspiciously as he started to undress. “How nice of a restaurant are we talking Jeonghan?”

“Dress shirt and slacks kind of nice. Only the best for my honey.”

“Hmm. Ok. I’ll be out soon then.”

“No, take your time. The reservation isn’t until 7pm. Don’t rush yourself.”

Joshua decided to stop thinking about what Jeonghan could possibly be hiding from him and just enjoy his shower and subsequent downtime.


Jeonghan waited until Joshua was in the bathroom. As soon as he heard the water running he ran as quietly as he could to the closet. Crouching down he grabbed his shoebox. He opened it. Seeing the tiny ring box, he let out a sigh of relief and looked around to make sure Joshua wasn’t out of the bathroom yet. Jeonghan’s senses were on high alert; he cracked open the box to stare at the ring that took him forever to choose. It was a classy piece; expensive looking but not ostentatious, a white gold band inlaid with three diamonds across the top. He hoped that Joshua would love it, assuming he said yes. God, he hoped he said yes. Even if it wasn’t legal here in South Korea. Jeonghan was willing to go to California to get that marriage license if Joshua wanted.

Marriage was a big commitment but when all his thoughts were about how he could see himself do these things every day with Joshua; marriage seemed to be the right choice. It didn’t mean that they’d be together forever, no one could promise that, but it was a symbol of wanting to be together forever. Hearing the water turn off snapped Jeonghan out of his thoughts. He slid the ring back into its place, and grabbed his clothes for the dinner. He planned to propose here, in the home they had made for themselves, the place they shared for over three years. Joshua would kill him if he tried a flashy proposal anyhow.


The dinner was a bit pricy but definitely a nice break from their normal routine. Still Joshua had to wonder what was eating at Jeonghan. He was out of it half the dinner and seemed more stressed than normal. He knew that it wasn’t his job. Jeonghan would’ve told him if it was. If it was his parents or his younger sister, he would’ve blurted that out right away. So what was it?

Even thinking about it now made Joshua want to pester Jeonghan until he spat out what was bothering him. He decided to go the comforting route instead in hopes of easing Jeonghan’s nerves and making him relaxed enough to tell him. Placing his hand on Jeonghan’s thigh, he squeezed it trying to make his boyfriend feel better. Jeonghan sent a brief smile his way before he his eyes were back on the road. At the red light before their apartment complex, Jeonghan gave him a light kiss on the forehead, while Joshua whispered to his chin, “What’s wrong? You were out of sorts today.”

Giving Joshua a nervous smile, “It’s nothing to worry about. I’ll tell you when we get home. Promise.” Turning back to look at the traffic light, “It’s a surprise. One you’ll like I hope.”

“Ok.”

When they finally reached their apartment Jeonghan told Joshua to sit on the couch with his eyes closed. Humoring his boyfriend, thinking it was just a surprise gift, he waited. Joshua listened as he heard some rustling and Jeonghan walking back into the living room. He heard a small thump on the floor which made him want to open his eyes to see what was wrong. Hearing a small creaking noise, he wracked his brain for what it could possibly be.

“You can open your eyes now.” Jeonghan said, his voice trembling. Joshua opened his eyes and stared, eyes wide open in shock. Jeonghan was on one knee, with a ring box in his hand that was stretched out towards him. He opened his mouth to say something but the words caught in his throat. “Before you say anything. I want to tell you I love you. A lot. With all my heart and then some. I wrote this little speech but then I trashed it because it just wasn’t right.” Taking a deep breath, Jeonghan continued, “I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to wake up by your side. Cook with you, watch dramas with you, play with that cat that still scares me for fun with you, have kids with you if you want, go on little coffee dates with you, grow old with you. I want it all. Will you marry me?”

Joshua felt like his throat was closing up. He couldn’t get his mouth to cooperate with him. His body was shaking with happiness and a decent amount of fear. Marriage. Marry Jeonghan? It was a big step to take. But he loved this man too much to tell him no. He croaked, “Yes. Yes, I’ll marry you.” Throwing himself onto Jeonghan, he clung to him. He held tightly, while Jeonghan slipped the ring onto his finger.

He smiled widely at Joshua. Grabbing his face to kiss him fiercely, he whispered into Joshua’s lips, “I’ll make you the happiest man on Earth, Joshua Hong.” Joshua laughed and kissed him back just as fierce.

He moved his head back saying laughingly, “I’m not changing my last name. Yoon Joshua doesn’t have a nice ring to it as Hong Jeonghan does.”

Jeonghan just looked at him mildly offended. Instead of arguing during this happy moment, he started to tickle Joshua. As his laughter rang out in the apartment, the two looked at each other, happy and in love.