Chapter 1

Starting Over

 I looked up at the building, it looked just like my old college back home. I sighed and entered the school , I had to go and pick up my timetable, where from I had no idea. As I walked through the halls I looked down every corridor but couldn't figure out where the main office was. I heard the first bell go and knew I was going to be late for my first class, I sighed and sped up still trying to find the office. Five minutes later and I found it, and then I realised that I didn't know how to ask for my timetable because I couldn't speak Korean.

"Ermm, hello, I ... I ermm I'm Jessica, I'm new." I tried, the lady at the front desk obviously didn't understand me. So maybe today was going to be horrible. I heard the receptionist say something into a phone and then a man came through the door and greeted me.

"Hello Jessica, welcome to your new school, I'm going to helping translate things for you until you can speak a bit more Korean." He smiled gently then pulled a piece of paper from his pocket. "Here's your timetable, and to start with you're going to have a lesson on Korean, see if you can pick a bit up before your first class." He led the way to a classroom where a tutor was waiting with a few slightly younger students.

 

****

 

A few hours later and I was sat eating dinner outside on a bench, by myself. Today had been just as hopeless as I imagined it would be, to begin with I didn't get anything they tried to teach me this morning. I still couldn't speak much of the language and as a result didn't know what any of my lessons were about except the name of the lesson, which was on my timetable. I couldn't wait for the day to be over so I could go home and maybe catch up with my mates in England if I could get in touch with them.

I finished eating my dinner and was about to grab my bag and leave when I felt someone sit next to me on the bench. I couldn't be bothered with anyone anymore and just wanted to go, I considered just leaving but then realised that whoever it was would think I was rude and then I might have ended up making myself an enemy on the first day. Which I definitely didn't want. So instead I looked up and saw a warm smiling face next to me, I smiled back being polite taking in the image of this person sitting next to me. He looked tall, had lovely styled dark hair with his fringe swept to one side and his eyes were just so bright that I felt myself feeling just that little bit happier.

"I'm Chaejin" he offered

"Jess" I smiled, not knowing how much English the guy knew.

"You're new right? Was in your acting just now." he tried, though his English wasn't great, I feel happy that maybe somebody wanted to be my friend or at least be nice to me. I nodded at him, though I wasn't sure how I could miss someone so cute in my class.  We tried to talk some more but all I could understand was a few words and I couldn't even say anything that he would understand, I felt my mood fall back to where I started this morning.

"Next class" he attempted one more time, pointing at me and a piece of paper in his hand. I looked at him confused, then he showed me the paper, his timetable. I let out a giggle this was actually quite funny trying to guess what he was saying, I mean even if it was something simple like this. I pulled my timetable from my bag and let him see.

"With me!" he exclaimed with a cheeky smile and stood up. I took that to mean our next class was together. I stood up next to him and walked with him to our next lesson.

The final lesson of the day wasn't to bead with Chaejin trying to make me feel better about me being new and knowing nothing, it was slightly working. But I didn't want to get used to this I just wanted to find a way to get mum to want to go back home, to England. And then to make things worse mum text me near the end of school to tell me she wasn't going to be home till late. So now I was going to at home alone. When I sighed and put away my phone Chaejin noticed that something had upset me.

"You ok?" he asked and I nodded, I didn't want to talk anymore. I stopped listening to the man translating the teacher for me and paid attention to nothing, I just stared out the window. When the final bell rang whoever my new friend started talking to my translator before smiling at me,

"He wants to know if you'd like to go to his house tonight and meet some friends, he wants to cheer you up." the man translated for me. I smiled at the thought that someone was actually thinking about my feelings for once. I nodded at Chaejin and followed him out of school to his home, no one was going to be home so I wouldn't be missed, on the way to his we were both trying to get each other to understand simple phrases. The two of us ending up trying to explain stuff using our hands and it not working, I laughed most of the way to his house. 

But when he opened the front door I began to feel nervous, I didn't even understand the nicest person I'd meet since I'd moved, how was I meant to get on with his family or friends?

 

Sorry about this chapter it's not brilliant. I just always tend to take ages to get to anything good in a story, I'm trying not to write like a normally do.

Anyways thanks for reading, comments would be nice and any improvements if you like aswell :)