Chapter 4

1 + 10

 

After a long day at school for Choonhee her and the boys walk home while Wei heads off to his part-time job. Jinhoo and Kuhn were already at the Boys’ House when the rest arrived because their classes at university finishes and hour before the boys.

The uni students’ prepared bowls of fruit for everyone to keep their energy up as usual, while Jun is out take care of some banking.

The boys and Choonhee all grab a bowl and went their separate ways again, whether it would be to their room or the living room, but this time is silent time. Unlike any other time in the day when the kids are as loud as ever, making the atmosphere more alive, they are in their room where Hwanhee has to teach Xiao the legal studies work he missed out on.

Choonhee walks into her new room with her bowl of fruit and places it on her still empty study desk. She sits on her chair and slowly savours the fresh sweetness of the strawberry that she hasn’t tasted properly in years.

After thirty seconds of her with her eyes closed slow chewing and her in another world because of the goodness of the fruit, Choonhee starts to observe the empty space of her shelves and desk (beside the small computer that she doesn’t know how to use).

It has been a long since she has had free time for herself, always focusing on work and no time to take care of herself. But now she has no more stress on her shoulders.

Moments past of her contemplating on how to spend her freedom (but she’s already wasting it on thinking) Choonhee finally decides and looks over to her suitcase and schoolbag that is still unpacked.

Choonhee moves away from the bowl that has the fruit juice dried up around it.

She decided to start with her clothes; she doesn’t have many so it won’t take long, the last time she went shopping was about a year ago at a op-shop because her old clothes didn’t fit her anymore. Choonhee only has two sets of clothes (besides her school and work uniform) that she changes into when she arrives home from work.

Same thing for her shoes as well, she has one for school/work and the other... she still wonder where she got them from, they still look new because she didn’t wear shoes in her old house so she hasn’t worn them once. Luckily her feet haven’t grown within the past years so they will fit for sure.

She finished arranging her closest and walks over to her boulder of a bag that carries all her workbooks and textbooks that feel like bricks (that she takes everyday to school) to empty out onto her shelves and in her draws.

As Choonhee leans down to pick up her bag someone knocks on the door,

 “Hey Choonhee, I was just checking how your first day with the boys is going” it was Jun, she felt relieved because he’s a comfortable person and he’s the only one that she can talk to properly now.

“It was good, they are all nice to me” she replies with a smile that looks very refreshing,

“That’s good. Dinner will be ready in an hour so we will call you down when it’s done” Jun informs and walks out of Choonhee’s room, closing the door behind him.

Choonhee begins to explore in her bag of wonders that has an overload of loose papers that she needs to figure out where they go.

 

 

The hour flew by and Jun with a few of the boys present the bowls and plates onto the dining table for dinner. He calls for the rest to come but only Choonhee didn’t,

“Wooshin, can you get Choonhee please” Jun asks to Wooshin since he sits next to her. Wooshin looks to her empty seat on his right and looks up to her door while the others began to devour the food.

 

Wooshin walks up the stairs and opens her door, he looks at her bed first, predicting her to be asleep there, but it was false. With curiously in his mind he walks more forward to see a wide range of different sheets of paper scattered on the floor. The more steps he took the more it leaded to Choonhee’s sleeping figure resting on her desk.

Wooshin looks at her shelves only half filled up with text books. Wooshin walks over to her closet and grabs a throwover blanket; Jun put them all in every room for extra warmth. The silent boy carefully places the blanket onto Choonhee’s back, before walking out he turns her bed side table on and turns of the rooms main light while closing the door behind him.

With the boys are too occupied eating to notice Wooshin rejoining the table, he tells Jun that Choonhee is sleeping and soon helps pick some leftovers for her when she wakes up.

Hours has past and half of the boys are asleep, expect for the ones that are studying in their rooms with their doors closed. Choonhee wakes up with only two hours left before midnight, with her eyes still drowsy she rubs her face to wake up properly.

“What time is it?” she stretches, Choonhee has no clock to check the time so by instinct she goes outside to the living room to check if anyone is awake or knows the time.

She walks out and only a dim was in sight, Choonhee walks closer to the fence and notices Wooshin (because of his red hair) in the living room.

When Choonhee walks down Wooshin finally looks up because of the sound of her footsteps walking down the stairs.

“...Hey” Wooshin greets when looking back at his homework,

“hey” as always Choonhee feels awkward. She hasn’t spoken to Wooshin since she moved in, it’s only been a short time of her living there but she has talked to most of them already.

Wooshin spends most of the nights in the living room studying while his roommate Bitto sleeps. Choonhee continues to walk and sits on the same ‘L’ shaped couch as Wooshin but at the very edge of it, to feel ‘comfortable’.

 

... There has been silence after their awkward greetings of ‘hey’, until Wooshin finally thought of a question. “Are you hungry?” a very random one for Choonhee of course, she looks at him startled and ‘huh’s after swallowing.

“You sure? You were asleep for a long time”

“oh... it’s alright, I don’t have to eat anything” selfless Choonhee tells, even though she can feel the acid in her stomach eating her away.

“no, it’s alright. Jun prepared leftovers for you in the fridge, I’ll go warm them up for you” Wooshin insists and stands up away from his study time to the kitchen, Choonhee was going to stop him but she cut herself of before she could.

All she could do is wait...

Bored out of her mind, Choonhee suddenly became curious of Wooshin’s school work that’s on the coffee table and couch. He’s in his final year and Choonhee is only in first year, so seeing the work has completely scared her... too much big works and symbols that are hitting her right in the face with doubt.

Although, Choonhee used to be in the top five in her year in middle school. She was incredibly academic in all her subjects, but obviously she had to forget about her studies and focus on work to live.

Choonhee’s eyes continue to wonder around the books and paper until her eyes came across a novel on the couch. ‘Kite Runner’ she read to herself, the cover shows gloomy, dark and serious colour tones that drawn Choonhee in. The cover sets a fearful mood.

 

Wooshin walks back in with quiet footsteps, “you alright?” Wooshin notices Choonhee’s staring intensely at something but the back of the couch was blocking the view of it.

“Oh...” Choonhee came back to reality, dropping the novel back onto the couch, Wooshin walks closer to the couch and realised what is was.

“You interested into the book?” he side smiles, Choonhee felt hesitant to respond.

studded before speaking “It’s okay... I can see that you are reading it anyway” Choonhee points out the bookmark that is one-third into the book,

Wooshin grabs the book and removes the bookmark, “I have already read the book” he closes the novel and hands it to Choonhee. She smiled awkwardly but she was grateful by his actions.

“The only thing I should mention is that it’s a bit strong, so you can hand it back to me whenever you can’t read it anymore” he notifies softly.

There was an awkward silence for a moment when Choonhee responded with nodding, as they are very hesitant with their words.

 “Oh!” Wooshin sprouts, making Choonhee jump by his sudden actions. “Your food is ready” he points behind him to the kitchen. Awkward Choonhee responses with another ‘ah’, she quietly tails behind Wooshin while pursing her lips together, suffocating by the awkward silence. There’s nothing she can do about it, this is the first time they both spoke to each other and let alone being alone together makes it ten times worse for Choonhee.

After Wooshin finished preparing her food, Choonhee prayed for him to leave... But the polite side of him stayed. Her body all stiff by his staring ached when she slid into bed that night, she had no choice but to eventually let it go.

 

 

 

I'M SO SORRY for posting weeks late, I didn't expect to be having such a busy week. I hope you can forgive me :)

 

Thank You