Counterfeit Wife

White Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


A/N i bet with all the spike in the number of gtae's fics everyone can finally get their daily dose of gtae. 

 

~TAEYEON~

 

 

The drive was pleasant and uneventful. We made several stops along the way to feed and change Hayi.

 

As we waited for our sandwiches to arrive, Hayi began to fuss. I was surprised when Jiyong offered to hold her. He held my gaze in silent challenge, and more than a little curious to see how he would deal with his fractious daughter, I handed him the baby.

 

I watched in admirations as Jiyong made caressing circles on his daughter’s back. When he nestled Hayi into the curve of his neck and kissed the top of the baby’s head , my throat closed over with emotion and tears gathered in my eyes.

 

Jintae hadn’t bothered to stick long enough to see his son. But even before I discovered I was pregnant, I’d suspected him of having an affair.

 

I’d been midway through my pregnancy when the doctor had informed us there were major problems that our baby would be born with multiple defects and with little chance of survival. Jintae had taken his anger and frustration out on me, verbally berating me, blaming me for everything, before leaving for greener pastures.

 

Terminating the pregnancy hadn’t been an option. I had even considered and so I’d struggled alone, trying to come to terms with the harsh reality that my baby would not survive.

 

After Hanbin was born, I insisted on taking the baby home and the doctors had reluctantly agreed. The memories of those few precious days I’d had with my son had enabled me to work through some of my guilt and grief and had eventually given me the strength to go on.

 

Through lowered lashes I watched Jiyong attempt to quiet his daughter’s urgent cries by gently rocking her and murmuring soft words. I admired his ability to remain calm in the face of Hayi’s cries and was impressed that he appeared to be totally unfazed by the stares from the other customers in the restaurant.

 

When he smiled down at Hayi, the look of love I glimpsed in his eyes stirred old longings and brought an ache to my chest. Blinking back rears stinging my eyes, I concentrated on the sandwiches the waitress had just brought.

    

“It’s not too late, you know.” Jiyong’s voice cut through the silence.

 

Frowning I met his gaze. “Too late for what?”

 

“If you’re having second thoughts, I can take you to the airport and you could leave Hayi with me… just like what we agreed before.” He said, his tone cool and indifferent.

 

I kept my voice steady. “I’m not leaving Hayi.” I said and caught the grudging respect that flashed in his eyes.

 

Later after Hayi had fallen asleep in his arms, Jiyong had finished his own meal. Then, bundling the still sleeping infant into her blanket, Jiyong paid the waitress and headed out to the car.

 

We continued the journey to Seoul in silence. Soon the warmth from the car’s heater made me drowsy, and unable to fight off the wave of tiredness, I dozed off.

 

Darkness had descended, making it impossible to see the surrounding outside of the car. For a fleeting second a feeling of panic gripped me, sending my heart fluttering in my .

 

I had no idea what to expect once we reached Seoul. No idea whether I could or should, in view of the ring on Jiyong’s finger, goes on pretending to be my twin.

 

I drew a steadying breath and turned to study his silhouette. Undoubtedly aware that I’d awakened, he cast a quick glance in my direction. Even in the shadowed darkness of the car’s interior, I felt the impact of his gaze and a ripple of sensation danced across my nerve endings.

 

I immediately turned my attention to the beam of the headlights on the road ahead, silently acknowledging that he was indeed one of the most attractive men I’d ever encountered.

 

But looks could be deceiving. Kim Jintae had also been an attractive man, but behind his dynamic good looks there lurked a controlling ad self-centered man.

 

Jintae had been one of my instructors at the art college I’d attended. He was a well-known artist in his own right, so I’d been flattered by his attentions and by the compliments he’d afforded my work. Although he was nine years my senior, I’d developed a crush on him and when he asked me to accompany him to an art show in town, I’d eagerly accepted.

 

We had so many interests in common or so I’d thought and I’d felt comfortable and at ease with him. Six months later we’d had a quiet wedding, with only my parents and Jintae’s brother in attendance.

 

Almost from the moment the ceremony was over, he’d changed and it wasn’t long before I came to the realization that having a wife almost a decade younger that himself fed his already overblown ego. He loved to show me off to his friends and colleagues as if I were a trophy, insensitive and uncaring of his wife’s feelings.

 

Annoyed at the route my thoughts had taken, I closed the door on my memories and suddenly through a break in the tries I glimpsed an array of twinkling lights.

 

The trees at last thinned out to reveal a peaceful community I guessed must be Seoul. My gaze slid beyond the lights to what appeared to e ribbons of silver shimmering and undulating in the moonlight.

 

The river! Of course! I had to be looking at the beautiful and magnificent Han River.

 

“Oh…it’s so pretty.” I exclaimed.

 

My comment drew Jiyong’s gaze. “I thought you hated the river.” He said dryly.

 

I silently admonished myself for my lapse. What Jiyong said was true. Ever since Taerin had accidentally fallen out from the boat when we went fishing with our parents during our teens, nearly drowning in the process, she’d detested even getting close to the deep water.

 

“Urm….I was just admiring the view.” I mustered, reminding myself that while I and my twin were almost identical in appearance, our preferences and personalities had often been in opposing camps.

 

“Admiring the view…” Jiyong repeated, his voice mocking. “I guess there’s a first time for everything.”

 

I heard the underlying skepticism in his voice and wondered at the animosity and cynicism he continually directed towards me, well or more accurately towards Taerin, his wife and the mother of his child.

 

There had been times throughout the long drive I’d been tempted to blurt out the truth, to tell Jiyong I wasn’t Taerin. But each time I’d glanced at his unsmiling and forbidding profile, I’d felt my courage evaporate.

 

I had to keep reminding myself of Jiyong’s plan to fight for sole custody of Hayi, and his treat to deprive Taerin of her daughter. These were reasons enough for me to continue with the deception, at least until Taerin contacted a lawyer.

 

And while I didn’t totally agree with or approve of the role I was being forced to play, I wanted to give my sister the benefit of the doubt and trust that Taerin had the baby’s best interest at heart.

 

I glanced at the man beside me. His concern for his infant daughter seemed so genuine, but I reminded myself how easily Jintae had disguised his controlling nature behind a charming smile.

 

Besides, it would serve no real purpose to reveal my true identity, and would undoubtedly result in Jiyong asking….no, demanding that I leave. And I knew I could no more abandon Hayi or fail to honor on the promise I’d made to my twin than fly to them moon.

 

There was no more turning back for me. I had to continue with these white lies. Regardless even if I had to assume the role of a counterfeit wife.

 

Suddenly we made a right turn, bringing my attention bac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter