Real Thing

White Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TAEYEON’S POV

 

I stumbled up the stairs. I didn’t stop until I’d reached the sanctuary of my room. Closing the door, l leaned against it and slowly slid to the floor. Only then did I let the tears fall.

 

Lowering my head to my knees, I wept. There was little joy in knowing I’d been right. Jiyong had loved Taerin, was still in love with Taerin.

 

He’d only kissed me because I reminded him of my twin, and I was a fool to think he’d been attracted to me for any other reason.

 

I took several deep breaths. It didn’t help that being in Jiyong’s arms had felt so wonderful, so right. The passion his kiss had ignited still hummed through my system. I’d never experienced such an overpowering desire before, and I very much doubted I would again.

 

The thought of facing Jiyong after what had happened between us brought a moan to my lips. Only a few hours ago I’d wanted to stay in Seoul forever. Now I couldn’t wait to leave. I told myself returning to Jeonju was best for everyone, and suddenly my upcoming project with Song Hyegyo looked like my salvation.

 

A knock on my bedroom door startled me.

 

“Taeyeon! Please open the door. We need to talk.” The sound of Jiyong;s voice sent a quiver of remembered need through me. hugging my knees to my chest, I held my breath,

 

“Taeyeon! Please!”

 

I made no reply, sure he must hear the drumming of my heart. When at last I heard the soft tread of his footsteps moving down the hall, I sighed in relief.

 

I spent a miserable night, dozing fitfully. It was still dark  when I glanced at the clock on my bedside table. It was almost seven. For the past hour I’d been staring at the ceiling.

 

I knew it was cowardly to run, and the thought of leaving Hayi tore at my heart, but after the disastrous encounter with Jiyong last night, I needed to get away and my wounds in private.

 

Besides, Jiyong was quite capable of looking after Hayi, and with the weekend approaching, he’d manage on his own for a few days.

 

Although he hadn’t said as much, I assumed he’d already interviewed all four candidates for the job of nanny. I was confident he’d have no trouble choosing one. I could only hope the new nanny would be available to start soon.

 

When Hayi started to cry, I automatically pushed back the covers and climbed out of the bed. But as I reached the door I heard Jiyong’s heavy thread in the the hallway.

 

Any other morning I would have gone downstairs and warmed Hayi’s bottle and brought it up to the nursery for her. I’d enjoyed those precious times we spent together, like a real family. But my fantasy was just that, a fantasy, and I’d been a fool to think it could be anything else.

 

I headed for the shower. I wasn’t looking forward to facing Jiyong. Standing under the hot spray, I wished I could wave my hand and somehow magically whisk myself back to Jeonju.

 

After pulling on my jeans and sweater, I plugged in the hair dryer. A few minutes later, I heard a loud knock on my bedroom door.

 

Ignoring Jiyong would be rude and juvenile, I told myself, and so I switched off the hair dryer and crossed to the door.

 

Jiyong stood in the hall dressed in a double ed slate gray suit, white shirt and striped tie. His hair glistened with moisture, his jaw looked smooth and inviting and the scent of lime and leather tickled my nostrils, sending my pulse into overdrive.

 

“Sorry to bother you.” Jiyong said. “I’ve already changed Hayi and given her her bottle. I’m driving to Yongsan this morning to meet with a client. But I couldn’t leave without making sure you were alright and to say I’m sorry about last night.”

 

“Don’t be…” I quickly responded, the pain of his rejection returning full force. “We’ve both been under stress lately.” I said, wishing he would go.

 

“That’s true, but we still need to talk.” He insisted. “I’d like to explain…”

 

“There’s nothing to explain.”

 

“I disagree.” Jiyong countered, frustration edging his voice. “I wish I could stay and sort this out now, but I have to go. Can we talk later?”

 

I could only nod in response. The ball of emotion lodged in my throat made it impossible  for me to speak. Besides, he didn’t have to explain. I already knew the reason he’d rejected me. He couldn’t love me because he was still in love with  Taerin, my twin sister, the mother of his child.

 

After Jiyong left, I finished blow-drying my hair before checking on Hayi. She lay in her crib kicking her legs and waving her arms, intrigued as always by the mobile circling above her head.

 

I spent the next hour tending to her. I sang to her as I bathed her, I made her smile, delighting in the child who had given me back my peace of mind and melted the ice around my heart.

 

When Hayi dozed off, I headed downstairs, noticing through the kitchen window that it had started snowing.

 

I googled the bus schedules heading from Seoul to Jeonju. Lucky for me that Seoul Express Bus Terminal was located not far away from Jiyong’s house. Even more convenient that the buses going to Jeonju where only 10 minutes interval of each other and the whole trip would only take me about two hour and fifty minutes.

 

I glanced at the clock, noting that it was almost ten. With the way things were, I decided to catch the bus that would be departing at noon.

 

With two hours to get organized I once again picked up my phone and dialed Yoona’s number and asked her if she could look after Hayi for a few hours.

 

After packing the items I’d brought with me, I saw that Hayi had awakened from her nap. I dressed her and played with her, prolonging these last precious moments, not knowing when I would see her again.

 

Outside, it was still snowing. I was surprised to see there was already an accumulation of about an inch on the ground, but I decided to walk the short distance with Hayi to Yoona and Seunghyun’s house anyway.

 

Even though Yoona invited me to stay,I politely declined, knowing I had to get going. “Just let me give Hayi a goodbye kiss.” I said, reaching for the baby.

 

As I lifted Hayi into my arms, I felt tears prick my eyes. Burying my face in the folds of her jacket, I hugged and kissed the baby I’d come to love like my own daughter. “Goodbye, my angel.” I whispered against her cheek.

 

“Taeyeon? Are you alright?” Yoona asked.

 

“I’m fine.” I replied, blinking back my tears.

 

“You’re acting like you were leaving her here forever.” Yoona teased, taking Hayi once more.

 

I summoned a smile. “I’d better go.”

 

“See you a little later. Mind how you go.”

 

“I will.” I replied, managing to smile again. Slipping outside, I closed the door behind me.

 

I stood on the doorstep for several seconds, struggling to suppress the sob in my throat, telling myself over and over I would have all the time in world to cry once I was back in Jeonju.

 

When I reached the end of the driveway, I picked up my knapsack from where I’d left it and hurried down to the bus terminal, oblivious to the snow falling like confetti around me. By the time I reached the bus station, I was wet and cold. After buying my ticket to Jeonju, I glanced at the clock. The bus was scheduled to leave in half an hour.

 

Crossing down to a café across the terminal, I made myself comfortable at one of the empty tables. Having ordered a coffee to chase away the cold, I reached out for my phone in my pocket, dialing Jiyong’s house number. I waited for the answering machine to pick up and at the sound of Jiyong’s voice, a fresh wave of pain washed over me. Gripping the phone tightly in my hand, I took a deep breath.

 

“Jiyong, it’s Taeyeon. Hayi’s with Yoona. By the time you get this message, I’ll be on my way to Jeonju. We both know it’s for the best. Goodbye.”

 

I hung up and threw my sight at the falling snow outside the window.

 

“It’s for the best Taeyeon.” I whispered softly, unable to hold back the tears.

 

 

 

 

JIYONG’S POV

 

“Any messages?” I asked as I swept into rhe office, brushing snow from my coat.

 

They’re on your desk.” Sunny said.

 

I slid off my coat and tossed it on the chair in my office. Picking up the pile of message slips, I thumbed through them.

 

I’d just arrived back from Yongsan. The meeting hadn’t gone at all well, due to the fact I’d been distracted by the thoughts of Taeyeon and the kiss we’d shared the night before.

 

I wished I hadn’t had an appointment, wished I’d had a chance to talk to her. I’d seen the redness in her eyes, a sure  sign she’d spent the night crying.

 

I smiled ruefully. I still couldn’t get Taeyeon out of my mind, nor her wild response to my kiss, a response that had sent my world spinning out of control.

 

Dropping into my chair, I reached for the phone. After punching in my own number, I listened to the phone ringing in my house. As I waited, I drummed my fingers impatiently on my desk.

 

When the answering machine kicked in I replaced the receiver and leaned back, my expression thoughtful.

 

Why hadn’t Taeyeon answered?

 

She was probably feeding Hayi, I tol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter