Opportunity Of A Lifetime

White Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


A/N: Short update. No proof-reading. Enjoy~~

 

 

 

 

~TAEYEON~

 

I sat at the patio, a sketch pad on my lap. It had rained most of the morning, but the clouds had gradually moved out and the sun was making a valiant effort to brighten up what was left of the day.

 

I put the finishing touches to the sketch I’d been working on for the past hour, pleased I’d managed to capture the expression of love on Jiyong’s face as he sat in the rocking chair with Hayi in his arms.

 

Gazing at my detailed drawing, I found myself wishing Jiyong would look at me that way, then silently scolded myself for being so fanciful.

 

Almost a week had passed since I’d read through the applications he’d brought home. I assumed he’d already arranged for interviews but I couldn’t bring myself to ask.

 

I knew I was avoiding the issue but the thought of someone else taking care of Hayi, feeding her her bottle, rocking her to sleep, loving her, tore my heart.

 

When the peal of the doorbell echoed through the house. I closed my sketch pad and hurried inside. Dropping the pad on the kitchen table, I headed for the front door,

 

“Yoona! Hi. How are you?” I asked.

 

“I’ve been great!” Yoona responded. “I hope this isn’t a bad time.”

 

“Ah…no. It’s lovely to see you. Please, come in.”

 

“I hope you don’t mind me dropping by without calling first.” Yoona said as she stepped inside.

 

“Why, of course not!” I replied, glad of the company, but unsure just what to say. Jiyong had told me he’d planned to talk to Seunghyun and Yoona and explain to them I would be leaving. But I wasn’t sure if Jiyong had gotten around to it yet, or of just how much he’d shared.

 

“You didn’t bring Nayeon with you.” I said, disappointed not to see the little girl. “Has the tooth she’s been cutting finally come through?”

 

“Would you believe I was up several times during the night with her, and this morning we noticed both bottom teeth had made an appearance.”

 

“I guess that explains why she’s been so out of sorts lately. Poor little pumpkin.”

 

“What about poor little Mommy Yoong?” Yoona joked as she followed me to the kitchen. “I told Seunghyun I’d be back in ten minutes. I just needed some real female company for a change rather than just little Nayeon.”

 

I flashed a knowing grin over my shoulder. “Do you have enough time for a cup of tea?”

 

“Sure.” Yoona replied with a smile. Sliding off her coat, she dropped it over one of the kitchen chairs. “Where’s Hayi?” she asked as she sat down.

 

“She’s napping.” I replied, moving to the sink.

 

“Jiyong said you’re leaving.” Yoona said.

 

“That’s right.” I darted her a cautious glance.

 

“Jiyong also told us, though he really didn’t have you, why you’re leaving.” Yoona went on.

 

“Oh, I see.” It was all I could think to say. If Yoona and Seunghyun knew I wasn’t Taerin that I’d been impersonating my twin, I couldn’t blame Yoona if she was upset or angry at having been deceived.

 

“You know, it’s funny but from the moment you answered the phone that day, I knew there was something different about you.”

 

“Yoona, I’m sorry. I hope you can forgive me for deceiving you. my only excuse is, I thought I was doing what was best for Hayi.”

 

“Hey, I understand. Truly I do. Jiyong admitted he should never have let us believe he and Erica were married. He knew it was wrong but I suppose in his defense, he was just trying to protect his unborn child.”

 

I nodded, please for Jiyong’s sake his friends were so generous and understanding.

 

“Taeyeon…may I call you Taeyeon?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“I just want to say how sorry we are about Erica’s death. And sorry, too, that you’ll be leaving.”

 

“Thank you.” I managed to say. I didn’t deserve Yoona’s understanding but I was glad of it at the same time.

 

“What’s this?” Yoona suddenly asked.

 

I turned in time to see Yoona flip open the sketch pad I’d tossed on the table.

 

“These are really good. Jiyong mentio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter