Of Shelf Stackers and Embarrassing Crushes [JiGyu]

Seventeen drabbles and one-shots

Mingyu liked his job. It wasn't much, just a part time shelf stacker at his local convenience store, but it provided a much needed break from his daily study for his master's degree, plus he received a 10% discount from shopping which his poor desperately needed.

There might also have been this one cute customer who came in at least once a week.

Mingyu had actually seen the guy around before he took this job 6 months ago, and fancied him even then, but the guy had a (bloody intimidatingly gorgeous) boyfriend back then. He hadn't seen the boyfriend around for awhile now, however, and judging by the state of Cute Guy a few months back he was sure there had been an ugly break up.

He had actually managed to talk to Cute Guy a few times. He wasn't completely pathetic, thank you. Although, maybe he was, because he had never caught a name. Whatever. He was determined to sweep Cute Guy off his feet, he just needed to figure out how.

Someone cleared their throat behind him and Mingyu tried very hard not to look embarrassed after jumping and hitting his head on the shelf which he was currently stacking. Of course he failed miserably when he turned and came face to face with Cute Guy, who was clearly trying to hold in his giggles.

"Sorry." Cute Guy said with a grin "You were just so deep in your thoughts I had to get your attention somehow."

"Oh, yeah, of course. Sorry. How can I help you?" Mingyu managed without fumbling and his best smile.

"Oh. I just need you to move a little so I can get to the chicken soup." Cute Guy smiled apologetically.

Mingyu mentally slapped himself. "Oh yeah, sure of course." Apparently that was all he was capable of saying. "Sorry." And that.

Cute Guy chuckled lightly and reached past him - so close, oh god - and turned back to Mingyu expectantly.

"Is there something else I can help you with?"

"Yes. I'd like to pay now." Cute Guy looked at him with slight concern now and pointed toward the till.

Oh , of course. He was alone tonight. Excellent, if he kept going like this he was sure to sweep Cute Guy off his feet in the next, oh, millennium. Bashfully he drudged to the till and started scanning Cute Guy's items.

"So." Cute Guy piped up, rocking back on his heels. he was cute. "This guy you want to sweep off his feet. He must be pretty special to have you spacing out like this?"

Cute Guy was making small talk. Oh . No, wait. What?

"What?" Mingyu spluttered.

"You were mumbling to yourself back there for a while. It took me a while to get your attention." Cute Guy grinned.

"Oh, ."

Cute Guy burst into giggles.

"Sorry. That was unprofessional. Um, yeah he's pretty special. I'm not, as you can plainly see."

Cute Guy calmed down and gave Mingyu an appraising look and then raised one eyebrow. "Oh, I don't know. You look pretty nice from where I'm standing, uh -" He leaned over a little "Mingyu."

Oh, yeah, name tag. Wait, did Cute Guy just compliment him? Flirt. Flirt with him, god damn it, here's your chance.

"Uh. Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself. You know. From where I'm standing. Although you're kind of behind the counter so I can't see all of you. But yeah. Good. Definitely."

ing smooth. Good work.

"You're really cute." Cute Guy said, flashing him a smile that exposed his dimples and squeezed his eyes into crescents and Mingyu wanted to jump over the counter attack his mouth with his own.

"Oh, could I also get a pack of menthol Esses, please? My roommate will kill me if I forget."

"Sure. " Mingyu turned to check the cigarette stand but came up empty. Damn it. He would not disappoint Cute Guy. "We don't have any here, but I'll go check in the stock room, we just got a delivery this morning."

"No. It's fine. Don't trouble yourself."

Mingyu flashed what he hoped was his most charming smile. "Not a problem, really. Anything for my favourite customer." Did he just say that?

Mingyu rushed to the stock room but not before seeing the surprised smile on Cute Guy's face. Score one for Mingyu. Oh yeah. His frantic search provided him with the loot - and hopefully an advance into Cute Guy's heart- and he made his way back to the store. Only when he got there Cute Guy had gone white as a sheet and was standing face to face with his evil (god damned gorgeous) ex. Mingyu decided to hide behind a stand of trading cards and wait, not wanting to into the conversation. It wasn't a crime to eavesdrop, though, right?

"Jihoon. What a surprise!"

Cute Guy , no, Jihoon rolled his eyes and clearly tried to regain his composure.

"I live around the corner, Jeonghan. Hardly surprising I would be here."

"Really? You still live in that dump?" Evil ex had an unkind smile on his face and Mingyu really wanted to go and punch it off.

Jihoon sighed. "Yes. I still live in that dump. Although, the place looks a lot better now you're not there." He shot back and Mingyu tried not to squeal.

Evil ex swiped a strand of his perfect hair away from one perfect cheekbone. "Well I was coming in for a pack of smokes for my fiancée but I guess I can't get any service around here." He raised his voice a little and Mingyu grimaced. "It was nice to see you again, Jihoon. I hope you'll find someone who makes you as happy as Jiyeon makes me." He smiled that fake smile again and Mingyu was about to make a heroic entrance introducing himself as Jihoon's loved up boyfriend - it was only half pretend, okay - but before he could Jihoon had already spoken.

"You can stop the act, Jeonghan. I know how it is for you. You don't need to pretend in front of me. And rubbing your fiancée in my face isn't going to hurt me, or make me beg to take you back. You had me. You lost me. You made that choice. I've moved on. You're getting married, maybe it's time you did too. Have a happy life, Jeonghan."

Evil ex looked defeated and a little sad as he smiled and nodded, his heels, and walked out of the shop.

"You can stop hiding now." Jihoon turned to face Mingyu behind the stand. Oh . "I take it you heard all that."

Mingyu scratched his neck as a fresh wave of embarrassment washed over him and he straightened himself out and came to stand behind the till. "Yeah, sorry. I thought you might need some help. Maybe."

Jihoon smiled at him. "That's sweet. I had it, though."

"I noticed." Mingyu flashed a somewhat proud grin. "For what it's worth. I don't like him, or his stupid perfect face."

Jihoon guffawed and made Mingyu's toes curl in delight. "Well, I'm sure you won't see his stupid perfect face here again. He wasn't always like this. Money does weird to people. Or lack thereof. He's not a bad person." Jihoon mused, as if to himself, and Mingyu's heart ached for him.

"Well, if you won't hate him then I must."

"Oh really, now? How's that figure?" Jihoon smirked.

"Oh, well, I just. I mean. Oh, hey, I got your cigarettes." Smooth. Idiot.

Jihoon burst into another set of adorable giggles and Mingyu really, really wanted to kiss him.

"You really are cute, you know." He teased as he took the packet from Mingyu and handed him the money. "And your face is pretty perfect too, and not even stupid at all." Jihoon winked and turned to leave.

"Wait!" Mingyu jumped over the counter and didn't stumble once. Nice. "Would you let me take you out for a coffee? As in like a date? Or not. Whatever you want. 'Cause I'm not expecting anything, I just like you. And well, think you're hot. But not expecting anything. Absolutely not. Unless you're okay with that in which case-"

Jihoon hushed him with a perfect index finger pressed to his lips and Mingyu wanted to die a little.

"A date sounds good. And I'm expecting at least a kiss by the end of it. Tomorrow at 8PM okay? We could meet here."

Mingyu's heart was thundering in his chest as he couldn't quite believe his ears. "Really? I mean. I'd love to. Oh my god, really?"

"Yes, really. I like you, Mingyu. And, you know, you're hot."

Mingyu couldn't help it. He stepped into Jihoon's space and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. He made a note of how soft they were and how perfect Jihoon's skin felt against his nose. He wanted so much more of this.

"Sorry. You're just so." Mingyu gestured wildly with his hands "Irresistible."

Jihoon cocked a delighted eyebrow. "No one's ever called me that before. I think I'll keep you, Mingyu. Tomorrow, here, at 8. I'll see you then." He got on his tippytoes and placed one last brief kiss on Mingyu's lips before marching out the door.

Mingyu sighed dreamily, staring at Jihoon's retreating back, until a loud "excuse me, you do have other customers, you know" alerted him back to reality.

His customer gave him such a stink eye he knew he'd get a lecture from his boss tomorrow, but hey, at least he was going on a date with his dream guy. All in all not a bad day. Mingyu really liked his job.