...[SoonSeok]

Seventeen drabbles and one-shots

Author's Note: This one is not a song drabble. So sue me. Or if you think of a song that would suit this do let me know.

 


 

 

Seokmin is tired. No, he crossed the line into exhaustion at least two hours ago. Where the hell is Soonyoung? Bloody doctors, never on time. If he has to listen to his daughter scream for another minute he's sure his eardrums will explode and his brain will just flow out with all the blood. He was not equiped for this. Four years as a single father has not prepared him for childhood illnesses. He is so very sleep deprived and angry with himself for not being able to cope, feeling guilty about not wanting to be in the same room as his sick child while at the same time wanting to take her pain away. Parenthood sweaty balls. He gives up trying to hold and comfort his kicking, screaming child and buries his face in his hands. Maybe all his friends were right. Maybe he had thrown his future away for nothing.

A hand on his shoulder startles him and he looks up to see Soonyoung regard him with worry. "I got here as soon as I could." He gives Seokmin's shoulder a quick squeeze before scooping up the wailing child to his chest.

"Minseo is burning up. What other symptoms does she have?~" Soonyoung sing songed to the tune of a lullaby and Seokmin would laugh were he not so done with life.

"Rash, blisters in , sore tummy. I think that's it. Oh, and she isn't eating."

"Okay, let's have a look at you then, my queen." Soonyoung sits down with Minseo on his lap, the girl now calm and leaning on his chest.

"How do you do that?" This is the part that always baffles Seokmin.

"Do what?" Soonyoung asks in anwer while he examines Minseo's mouth.

"This." Seokmin flails his hands around. "Calm her down like this. Get her to listen to you."

Soonyoung turns to look at him with a gentle smile. "Well, it helps that I'm not her parent. Not listening to you is just her way of becoming more independent. She's just growing up. Isn't that right, nugget?" Soonyoung smiles at Minseo who nods at him eagerly, clearly not having a clue what they're talking about but wanting to please him anyway.

"Besides, I'm just wonderful that way." Soonyoung quips in his endearing way and Seokmin can only watch the man with hidden affection as he squishes his nose together with Minseo's, making Seokmin fall in love with him just a little bit more. He wants to scream.

Soonyoung continues to examine Minseo and Seokmin can feel himself sink further into exhaustion, the silence now lulling him to sleep. It only feels like minutes until he's woken up by a gentle shake of his shoulder. Except it can't have been minutes because it's light outside and Seokmin jumps up ready to panic.

"Hey, it's okay." Soonyoung guides back to sit down on the couch. "You fell asleep and I figured you needed it. Minseo is all dosed up on painkillers. She's got hand, foot and mouth so painkillers is all we can do for her, I'm afraid. It should clear up in a few days so don't worry, ok?"

"How long have I been asleep?" Is all Seokmin can muster out.

"6 hours."

"What?" Seokmin shouts and then grimaces as Soonyoung hushes him. "Sorry. Oh, god, I'm so sorry. I'm a parent. I'm a friend. Oh,god." He hides his face behind his hands as more guilt washes over him.

"No you're not. Stop being silly." Soonyoung pries his hands away and tugs him up and toward Minseo's room. He stands there in the doorway as Seokmin goes over to plant a kiss on his daughter's forehead. "See?" Soonyoung whispers. "She's sleeping. She's okay."

"But I should've been here to take care of her. What kind of father am I?"

Soonyoung drags him out of the room back to the couch in the living room. "You're the kind of father who needs a break. There's nothing wrong with that. You can't take care of her if you yourself are exhausted." Soonyoung fiddles with his phone for a moment before handing it to Seokmin with a grin. "Besides, she took selfies with you while you were passed out. She thought it was hilarious."

Seokmin looks at the photo. His little girl is pressed up against his face, while he's drooling, with a big grin on her snotty face and Seokmin feels his heart soar, not just because of his daughter but because he knows Soonyoung so well.

"There's no way her little arms could stretch far enough to take this. You did it, didn't you?" He questions Soonyoung with a smile and a the grin widens on the man's face pushing his eyes into those tiny crescents that Seokmin loves.

"Busted. But in my defense you two are too cute to miss a great opportunity like that."

Seokmin's heart stumbles a bit at the words and he wishes heaven and earth that he wasn't just Soonyoung's friend so he could kiss him. Then, of course, before his brain gets a chance to finish his thought his body has already launched itself forward and placed a sloppy kiss on the man that half misses his mouth. It's awkward to say the least and Seokmin wants to die. Soonyoung, on the other hand, falls into giggles and totally confuses Seokmin's sleep addled brain.

"This isn't how I imagined our first kiss to go." Soonyoung wheezes out between snorts. "With kiddy snot on my cheek and dried up drool on your chin."

Seokmin smiles and then freezes."Wait. Did you just say you've imagined us kissing?"

Soonyoung stops giggling but not smiling, and takes Seokmin's hand in his. "Since we first met."

This time it's not just Seokmin's heart that's stumbling. "What?"

"I just wanted to wait until you were ready. You have your hands full, you know. And I didn't want to become a burden to you. " Soonyoung is quick to explain. "And then I suppose I just fell for you and I didn't want to lose you."

Seokmin can't quite believe what he's hearing. "I didn't think you saw me like that at all. I thought I was just a friend to you. Are you saying I've been stupid and missed out on 4 years of making out?"

"Well. I suppose so?"

"I'm an idiot."

Soonyoung laughs again and this time it's him leaning forward making sure their lips connect properly.

Later, when all the making up of lost time has exhausted what little energy Soonyoung had left from staying up all night and he's lying against Seokmin's chest, Minseo pads her way into her father's bedroom and pauses. She looks at the two men, smiles, and wordlessly slips under the covers and nestles herself against Seokmin's other side placing her tiny hand in his.

Seokmin glances between the two loves of his life and feels contentment spread through his body. Maybe being a parent doesn't quite after all.