Together

above the waves

        Jeonghan opened his mouth to speak, to say something of coherency that could be understanded by the younger male that disturbed Jeonghan's (much needed) rest. All that followed was silence, a tone dead noise, only accompanied with the light continous voices of the actors in the movie that still rolled on Jeonghan's tv. The two looked back and forth at each other for a few moments, and suddenly Jeonghan had the sudden urge to yell at the other, to make his point clear that he didn't want his emotions to be played with anymore. 

        No, Jeonghan imagined saying, I'm sorry; you mean so much to me, but this is already complicated enough. I don't want to hear. 

        But of course, this is not what Jeonghan said. Jeonghan didn't say anything, he just hesitantly moved out of the way, letting the taller boy into his room. Jeonghan shut the door quietly, aware that it was getting late and that his parents would be home soon. Not that they'd mind that Jeonghan had someone over, especially not this significant person in particular; Jeonghan just didn't want questions. He already had enough of them, he wasn't very keen on adding even more from his parents into the mix. 

        Jisoo, Jeonghan thought, sighing as he watched his best friend for years sit on the edge of his bed, the younger looking timid and not very sure of himself. Why do you do this to me? You can't keep popping in and out of my life like this. It isn't fair. Make up your mind. Please. Or else I'll do it for you. 

        Jeonghan could've said his thoughts, spoke them out loud for both of them to consider. He could've said a lot of things, but considering that Jisoo came to him, and not him to Jisoo, Jeonghan kept quiet, letting Jisoo decide the timing himself. 

        The ginger haired boy looked at the ground for a moment, seeming to contemplate something. Jisoo's hands shook deligently, even as they were sitting in a death grip inbetween each other, and when he glanced up, Jeonghan could see the sheer pain in the others dark auburn eyes. 

        Jisoo spoke, his sudden tone startling Jeonghan out of his daze. Fiddling with his hair, Jeonghan listened closely to the words that sounded within the room. 

        "...Where do I even begin with this?" Jisoo breathed out, seeming like all of the air withdrew from his body with that one simple question. 

        "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I haven't been there for you lately, that I've been pushing you away, that I've been a terrible friend - I can't even begin to explain how sorry I am for all of this. I really..." Jisoo paused for a moment, looking over at Jeonghan. Jeonghan could tell that Jisoo wanted to make this as sincere as possible, and the best way to do that was to have eye contact, and to actually listen completely to what Jisoo was saying. 

         "I really needed some time to myself. Lately I've been so confused, about myself and about you - about what is right and what is wrong. My feelings have been off the walls, and I needed to think about everything. I hope that you understand that." Jisoo had a hopeful look in his eyes, practically begging Jeonghan to get what he was saying. Jeonghan wanted to laugh; he couldn't believe that Jisoo actually thought that Jeonghan wouldn't understand what Jisoo had just told him. He didn't only just understand Jisoo's feelings, but Jeonghan had been feeling this way himself for a long time now. He wasn't hearing anything new at all. 

         I'm your best friend, of course I understand. Your feelings are mine, and mine are yours. I'm sorry that you had to realize and deal with this by yourself. I'm always here for you. Jeonghan's thoughts concluded in his mind, all of them yearning to be said. Something was telling him to stay quiet though, so Jeonghan listened once again, letting his instinct take over. Once Jisoo was done talking, Jeonghan would speak. 

        "You know, we've been friends for so long that I can't even imagine myself without you. The time away has been torturing me, nearly ripping me from the inside out. Which yes, I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but that's seriously how I felt when I was away from you for that long of a time. It's ridiculous how much someone can mean to you without that person even knowing it. As the good saying goes, 'You never know what you have until it's gone.'" Jisoo stopped talking, letting his muscles relax more, his seating on the bed returning to a bit more of a comfortable position rather than an anxious ridden one. 

        Jisoo chuckled, his laugh coming out short and quick, not having even the slightest sense of humor. Jeonghan guessed that Jisoo was reflecting off of the quote that the other had just said, and Jisoo's next words confirmed Jeonghan's guess. 

        "But you're not gone. You're here, in your house, in your bedroom, more specifically - you're beside me. Do you know how long it's been since I've been able to say that, that you're beside me? It might not have actually been that long, but it certainly felt like it. I don't even know how I managed to be able to stay away for as long as I did. It was needed though, as much as it hurt us both. 

          Getting back to my point. I miss you. So much that I can't even comprehend how someone can mean so much to me. As much as it terrifies me, I wanted you to know how I feel. I wanted you to know why I've been distant lately, why I haven't tried to contact you much. We've been over this, I just felt the need to explain myself better than before. And I know that that doesn't do anything to fix this, I know that, I just need you to understand where I'm coming from. I'll need time, and I can't promise you anything. I just need for you to know some things." 

          Jisoo let out a final shaky breath, his hands slowing at his sides, his eyes catching a determined gleam that Jeonghan wanted to see from the other more often. 

          "I need you to know that I'm not giving up on you, or whatever may come from this. I'm not giving up on us. I need you to know that I'll always be there for you, no matter when or where that may be, and that I hope that you'll do the same for me, too. I need you to know that for as long as you want me to, I'll be with you. I hope that you'll do the same for me, too." 

          All of the previous thoughts that Jeonghan had had prior to this stopped. And although he hadn't said anything that night to the other boy in the room, Jeonghan felt like the words had already been spoken for him. There was no need to say something that had already been said. The feelings between the two were so connected that nothing needed to be added to be understood. 

         Instead of answering, Jeonghan stepped forward, moving instinctively over to Jisoo, pulling the younger's warm body close to his. Both breathing heavily and hugging onto the other tightly, Jeonghan supposed that this was exactly where the two were meant to be. 

        Together.