Moving Forward

above the waves

     Their friendship started to turn, the broken fallen pieces coming back together time after time. The riff between them broke, the tension shattered, and then all that was left was the want to be together, the want to be apart of each other's lives in the best, most comforting way possible.

     Both of the boys had decided that this want, no, this need, was more important than anything else that they could've been thrown at at the moment in time.

     But telling and acting were very different things, Jeonghan realized.

     Rewind a week or so back to when the movie theater event happened. Following that chapter, the two boys left the lobby, hand in hand, feeling giddy and high on love, like, or whatever emotion is was that they didn't see the need to classify.

     They sank into the theater seats, Jeonghan accidently pressing his shoe clad feet onto Jisoo's, leaving a mumbling, blushing Jeonghan in the wake. In actuality, Jeonghan knew that this wasn't something to be embarrassed about, it really was an accident - and it wasn't like they hadn't been even closer in proximity before.

     When Jeonghan went to apologize, Jisoo just shook his head, a slight grin on his face. They turned their attention to the movie that was playing, a comedy that Seungkwan had talked about a lot lately. Something cliche and abnormal, which, honestly, didn't surprise either of them in the slightest, having known Seungkwan.

     The type of the movie didn't matter though. Their friends around them, with their chaotic babbling and shushed silences, sank into the background. All that Jeonghan knew was that him and Jisoo were holding hands, that they were actually making a break through in the situation that they were in.

     All that Jeonghan knew was that he never wanted this feeling to go away. Simply being with Jisoo was enough to make Jeonghan completely lax, all of his worries washing away with just one simple look from the other.

     With these thoughts running through his mind, Jeonghan sighed softly, squeezing Jisoo's hand and feeling the younger hold back just as tight.

    They smiled at each other briefly, enough to let them both know that the other was there.

     And if that wasn't the most reassuring thing, then Jeonghan didn't know what was.

    ~

     Fast forward a couple of weeks. Jeonghan was sitting in his room, homework and studying clouding his brain, when his phone chimed, the notification popping up that he had just recieved a new text.

     Closing his History textbook, Jeonghan rose from his desk, fixing his slightly messy bedhead that he was still sporting from that afternoon. Picking up his phone and unlocking it, Jeonghan looked through his new notification, seeing a text from Jisoo.

      To: Jeonghan

      From: Jisoo

      Want to hang out? Maybe come over to mine?  

      (5:45 PM)

       Jeonghan found himself smiling down at his phone like an idiot, reading the words over and over again. Noticing that he was becoming one of those love sick people that couldn't even contain themselves over a simple text, Jeonghan shook his head, typing the 'reply' button.

       To: Jisoo

       From: Jeonghan

       Yeah, sure! I'll be there in 10.  

       (5:47 PM)

        And this is the part where Jeonghan realized that he really wasn't prepared for seeing Jisoo at that moment. His hair wasn't fully brushed, his clothes weren't exactly presentable, he probably looked tired as hell despite taking an hour nap a little bit ago - a 'ping' noise stopped him in his worried thoughts.

        To: Jeonghan

        From: Jisoo

        Great! And since I know that you are: don't worry about what you're wearing, or anything - you look perfect just as you are. I'll see you in a few.

        (5:49 PM)

        Jeonghan almost awed out loud with how much of a sap Jisoo really was. It was sickening yet highly adorable at the same time, and Jeonghan appreciated the compliments from Jisoo whether they were actually true or not.

         With Jisoo's words, Jeonghan found himself not putting much thought into how he presented himself in front of Jisoo. Not that it was any different than before this, they had seen each other way worse - but something about the circumstances made things seem much more official and high strung then they actually were.

        Shaking his head, grabbing a jacket and putting his shoes on, Jeonghan bounced down the steps of his house, telling a quick goodbye to his parents.

        Walking down the bare street, Jeonghan pulled the jacket closer to himself, thankfully being able to see Jisoo's (hopefully warm) house just a few places down from his own.

         Arriving at the well decorated house and knocking on the door, Jeonghan was greeted with a warm smile and a welcomed sounding hello from Jisoo's mother, who looked like she had been been in the middle of baking something just as Jeonghan had showed up. Mrs. Hong told him that Jisoo was up in his room, and that dinner would be ready soon.

         Jeonghan walked up the stairs, reaching Jisoo's room (the last one on the far right of the hall), knocking on the wood door quietly. Jeonghan had been in this room many times, nearly as much as he had been in his own.

         Jisoo opened the door, sending Jeonghan a wide smile, his eyes crinkling at the sides. Hurriedly Jeonghan was pulled into the room, Jisoo talking a mile a minute.

         Jeonghan just stared at the other, letting Jisoo talk freely about whatever he wanted to towards Jeonghan. Trying his best to keep up, Jeonghan noticed bits and pieces here and there, and after a while Jisoo made a point to make the older boy sit down beside him on the bed, his fingers lacing through Jeonghan's own without much thought.

         The two just seemed to naturally pull towards each other, and suddeny there was little to no space between them, Jisoo halting his words to look at Jeonghan.

         "...Hey. I'm sorry, I haven't seen you in a while. My ramblings aren't making much sense, are they?" Jisoo laughed out quietly, breathing in deeply after a moment.

         Shaking his head, Jeonghan glanced down at their entertwined hands, then back up at Jisoo.

         "It's okay. I'm just happy to see you. I got small parts of what you were saying." Jeonghan smiled at the other, pausing to think for a moment. He still had questions, had things that he wanted answers to, but Jeonghan knew that it was okay to not know something right away.

         "Everything okay?" Jisoo asked, squeezing Jeonghan's hand gently, looking at him with concerned eyes. Jeonghan nodded quickly, opening his mouth to speak, then shut it, trying to get the question to form first before he spoke anything of it.

          "I just... Sorry, I was listening, but. I was wondering what happened to you and Wendy? You seemed to really like each other, and I just thought..." Jeonghan trailed off, looking down at the mahogany colored carpeting that surrounded the room's floors.

          "Wendy is a good friend, but that's nothing for you to be worried about. Our feelings towards each other are completely platonic," Jisoo reassured Jeonghan quickly, not wanting Jeonghan to get the wrong idea. Sure Wendy was gorgeous, funny, nice, a good friend - but Jisoo felt nothing more for her.

           All of Jisoo's feelings were towards the person sitting across from him. If only that person would understand that, too.

           "And you just thought... what?"

           "I thought that, um..." Jeonghan seemed unsure of himself, the words feeling stuck in his throat.

           "I thought that maybe you were going to move on from me? That... maybe, by chance, you would force away your feelings for me completely and leave me for a girl that could give you everything that I can't." There. The words were now out in the open.

           Jisoo looked startled, the accusation seeming to strike a cord somewhere within him.

           "I think... That you think too much. I would never do something like that, you know that I wouldn't. Stop doubting things. You can give me just as much as Wendy can, or just as much as any other person, for that matter. What means the most is that we like each other, and that this feeling isn't going away. Not now, not ever. We're getting there."

           Jeonghan heard these words that Jisoo said - he swore that he heard, understood, and would remember them for his whole life. But suddenly when his body was pulled closer to the warmer one next to him, and with Jisoo's hand not leaving Jeonghan's even with the slightest push of their lips to join together in the middle, Jeonghan felt like he could fly.

           And what's better than feeling like you're on top of the world with the most important person to you by your side?

         

           ~ ~ ~

    A/N: Hey guys! I just wanted to say thank you for all of the support that you've given me during this story so far, and also (hopefully) on what's to come next. I'm not too sure about this update, honestly, but if you liked it then please leave a comment letting me know! Again, thank you all so much, it means a lot to me. ^^